Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
146,901 - 146,920 of 226,284 Comments Last updated 26 min ago

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#152884 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You are still not dealing with the point.
Please take the time to read it and think about it, as it is clear you are not doing so at the moment.
If morality is what the "herd" decides, then nothing is absolutely wrong or absolutely right.
And you would have followed the herd all through history.
So you would have supported the inquisition.
You would have supported slavery.
You would have supported every crime that every society ever made, because you are morally bound to do so.
Your morality can never rise any higher or challenge the herd.
Therefore, you can never argue that a different herd acted immorally...
You would have been morally bound to accept the earth was flat during the dark ages.
And would have probably been standing outside Gallileos house with a pitchfork and torch demanding his execution...
Time to start thinking and leave the herd, the herd never gets it right...
And the current herd religion is secular atheism...
God creates idiots, that you do prove.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#152885 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
WWII happened a long time after the insertion of the moral codes injected into every corner of the world by Western imperialism and missionaries. Which, it so happens are derived from Christianity.
You are going to emit a blast of flatulence about that imperialism and spread of religion, but be advised that there were several conquistadors punished for abuse of the conquered because of the Church's influence, and the murdering of each other by the conquered tended to come to an end, as did human and animal sacrifice. You had greed and economics tempered by religious values that started a larger choir to sing from the same sheet of music.
Oh.

Jesus 3
Atheist 0

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#152886 Feb 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have not shown the existence of a first cause. You have not shown there is only one first cause. You haven't shown anything that would suggest a first cause, even if existing and unique, would have any of the common properties assigned to a deity.
And, for that matter, you haven't defined what it *means* to cause.
<quoted text>
I understand your argument, but your assumptions are wrong, so you come to an incorrect conclusion.
You notice that mtimber plays the same game as so many other theists. mtimber plays the god of the gaps game. He cannot argue that which is known in science and history, he must argue that which is not yet known.

Ask mtimber how to cure leprosy and if he does not claim Leviticus 14:49-53 to be the answer, then you know that he does not believe in his god anymore than an Atheist.

Science, on the other hand, took a different and effective approach and there are very few cases of leprosy.

When you ask people like mtimber how to cure blindness, he first answer should be, have jesus pick up some dirt and spit into it until it is a paste, then cake it over the blind persons eyes. Then tell that person to go to the river, wash his eyes and abracadabra, the man can see!

Ask mtimber what is Pi? If he answers 3, then he his a true believer! If he goes beyond 3, he is helping fill in the gaps that we no longer need a god for.

If you get he to talk about anything that has been proven, all he has to do is, deny it. You cannot force him or convince him to admit anything. It would ruin his game.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#152887 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
WWII happened a long time after the insertion of the moral codes injected into every corner of the world by Western imperialism and missionaries. Which, it so happens are derived from Christianity.
You are going to emit a blast of flatulence about that imperialism and spread of religion, but be advised that there were several conquistadors punished for abuse of the conquered because of the Church's influence, and the murdering of each other by the conquered tended to come to an end, as did human and animal sacrifice. You had greed and economics tempered by religious values that started a larger choir to sing from the same sheet of music.
Nope Dave religion is only responsible in the way that religion is composed of people. People were responsible, but people of different religions. What really mattered is that the largest body of people comprised of all religions and nonreligious affiliation agreed on the terms. It is not derived from Christianity, it is derived from societies of people who interact with each other.
Religion is only a part of a larger agenda when it came to this.

You fundies can't get past the idea that morality is not dictated by god, but is in fact defined by a group of people by consensus.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#152888 Feb 10, 2013
Atheism argues that the herd morality is the absolute morality of the current society.

In the dark ages, it was considered by the herd (society), that atheism was heretical and punishable by death.

Therefore, atheism has to condone the persecution of atheism by its own moral standard.

The herd decided atheism was immoral, therefore atheism was immoral...

Absurdity unmatched...

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#152889 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
Jesus 3
Atheist 0
Tell jesus to come and claim his prize!

Oh, wait! He died for your sins. How sad.

Maybe his dad will come down and claim his prize for him!

Yeah, probably not. No one has seen him since he sat down with Abraham. Then for some strange reason, god couldn't be seen by men.

You tell your god that I will divert my eyes when he shows up! I'll keep my eyes closed the entire time he is here picking up his son's prize.

Location hidden

#152890 Feb 10, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Bollocks.
<quoted text>
I think someone just threw their torch brand at the building...:-)

Location hidden

#152891 Feb 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Without the Bible and the morality derived from it, you wouldn't be able to make those judgments.
Exactly...

They deny Christian morality, then appeal to it as the basis for defining their own bastardized version of it...

Location hidden

#152892 Feb 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
God creates idiots, that you do prove.
No, God created a human race with incredible capacity.

We are completely culpable for their own idiocy...

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#152893 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
Atheism argues that the herd morality is the absolute morality of the current society.
In the dark ages, it was considered by the herd (society), that atheism was heretical and punishable by death.
Therefore, atheism has to condone the persecution of atheism by its own moral standard.
The herd decided atheism was immoral, therefore atheism was immoral...
Absurdity unmatched...
You use the word, "absolute", a lot! Yet, I get the feeling that you do not understand it's meanings.

Location hidden

#152894 Feb 10, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You notice that mtimber plays the same game as so many other theists. mtimber plays the god of the gaps game. He cannot argue that which is known in science and history, he must argue that which is not yet known.
Ask mtimber how to cure leprosy and if he does not claim Leviticus 14:49-53 to be the answer, then you know that he does not believe in his god anymore than an Atheist.
Science, on the other hand, took a different and effective approach and there are very few cases of leprosy.
When you ask people like mtimber how to cure blindness, he first answer should be, have jesus pick up some dirt and spit into it until it is a paste, then cake it over the blind persons eyes. Then tell that person to go to the river, wash his eyes and abracadabra, the man can see!
Ask mtimber what is Pi? If he answers 3, then he his a true believer! If he goes beyond 3, he is helping fill in the gaps that we no longer need a god for.
If you get he to talk about anything that has been proven, all he has to do is, deny it. You cannot force him or convince him to admit anything. It would ruin his game.
Without God, you cannot account for the laws of logic that make science possible.

Account for their existance outside of God and you may have a point...

Those laws of logic are transcendent and universal by the way, so you might want to chew on that a little bit first before you present the:

theherddidit argument...

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#152895 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly...
They deny Christian morality, then appeal to it as the basis for defining their own bastardized version of it...
Is there a big difference between god's morality and christian morality?

Location hidden

#152896 Feb 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope Dave religion is only responsible in the way that religion is composed of people. People were responsible, but people of different religions. What really mattered is that the largest body of people comprised of all religions and nonreligious affiliation agreed on the terms. It is not derived from Christianity, it is derived from societies of people who interact with each other.
You fundies can't get past the idea that morality is not dictated by god, but is in fact defined by a group of people by consensus.
Uh huh.

Oh, BTW, the largest body of people comprising mankind has agreed there is a deity or higher spiritual force that man is subject to. Developed and sustained over thousands of years.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#152897 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So then, if that is case, if you do the same, you should be mocked?
You obviously do not understand that every worldview is based on pre-suppositions.
That includes yours...
(arockdidit)
And those pre-suppositions are always assumed.
That being the case, all worldviews should be mocked perhaps?
Including yours?
You condemn yourself to be mocked...
In the final analysis, no ideology can be taken as implicit truth. Never accept a master plan for reality from others. Make your own.

Location hidden

#152898 Feb 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The largest herd wins in the "defining morality" game...

Hitler would have welcomed you to his party...

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#152899 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
We are completely culpable for their own idiocy...
What???

Location hidden

#152900 Feb 10, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, probably not. No one has seen him since he sat down with Abraham. Then for some strange reason, god couldn't be seen by men.
You tell your god that I will divert my eyes when he shows up! I'll keep my eyes closed the entire time he is here picking up his son's prize.
Feel better?

Nothing like taking a good shit to ease the mind, eh?

Location hidden

#152901 Feb 10, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact you are at war with Him, is plenty enough evidence.

I do not spend my time trying to prove that lizard men disguised as humans exist as it has no credibility.

You on the other hand are quite enamored with the:

"God isn't real and I hate Him" argument...

Location hidden

#152902 Feb 10, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You use the word, "absolute", a lot! Yet, I get the feeling that you do not understand it's meanings.
I do.

But I get the sense you want to re-define it so that you can suppress its existence and hold onto the lies that want to believe.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#152903 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
False premise and a typical atheists mistake on this point.
The obvious truth is:
Every effect has a cause.
Not everything has a cause...
You are what we call a "Walk-off".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 25 min Patrick 42
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 33 min Patrick 21
100% Faith Free 40 min Thinking 11
Our world came from nothing? 46 min Thinking 408
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 902
The Ultimate Evidence of God 1 hr Patrick 54
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr MUQ1 21,499
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••