Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Atheist Silurist

Portadown, UK

#152727 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
This forum and idiots like you for the most part. Never gave a thought to the subject until I got on PTAG a couple of years ago and watched the boils like you festering. And outright lies and misleading statements. Caused me to do some research and delve into the matter more, and spend a few minutes a day thinking about it. The forum was a catalyst for putting patterns and observations over a lifetime, coupled with my analytic and technical mind and skills. All kicked into gear because of blurting boils beating up on believers revealing weaknesses in their arguments. I remember we had this alleged Bible scholar from TX that was an especially egregious and obnoxious Christian basher. He was in your league. We went back and forth for months. One of his big things was the time after the crucifixion being evidence it was a conspiracy. Boy, did he ever hate Paul. Then I dropped the bomb on him. He had been using 1 AD as the crucifixion date. Made a big difference in the numbers he had been using as evidence. He disappeared after that.
I have a completely different read of religious works than you can have. Your mind is too weak to see allegory and metaphor, hence your need for literal in the hand "evidence". But you aren't alone.
I did some experiments 30 years ago that led to my alluding to the telluric currents on here. An energy flow that was tapped into and turned into a god. It grew from those local machines, which is what Baal was, to a monotheistic all encompassing the universe figure, representing the source of that energy. Such is still done with the BBT. I have an electrical background, but I have learned to see the components in a different perspective. Simply put it is the bipolarness of our existence setting things into motion. That, too, is evident in the BBT, even in gravity. Something caused the separation to cause the charge.
I did experiments. Didn't know exactly what I was doing, just following some basic physics principles. I can go out into a field with some rudimentary equipment, and pull forces out of the earth and atmosphere that will make you shit your pants. I can wrap them into self-sustaining circuits. You would feel them. It's pretty complicated as to what actually goes on, but you can assemble things you would rather not, which is why I abandoned further experiments since that time. It's is tapping into energy flows, but with those flows come flows within the larger flow. We are also formed the same way.
The ancients did the same thing, with more knowledge of the desired effects than I have, but they lacked a knowledge we now have in our sights, and their systems eventually decayed. Blood sacrifice started as a means to initiate the process, and to strengthen it. Blood is energy.
You have to get unstuck from the symbology of what you read and learn, and understand the processes that lead to such things.
We ultimately are devices used to manifest the expressions of something larger. Bulbs on a stadium billboard.
Did I answer your question?
I suggest Chlorpromazine three times a day.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#152728 Feb 9, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
He was hangin with Counting Crows?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =7PAP3kN8J8wXX
Nothing like a good sized murder of crows and wake of vultures.

<wipes tear>

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#152729 Feb 9, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
It might help you. I can see where the thought of you are not the top of the universal scheme of things would rattle your cage. Ego without portfolio.
Imhotep

United States

#152730 Feb 9, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cute,:)
Aha... I found a weakness for religious humor!

How to become a "good" Christian in 20 easy steps.

1. Confess to all your friends, associates and church leaders that you love Jesus and intend to become His slave and that you will devote your life to Him. It doesn't matter whether you believe it or not, just saying it will put you in a Christian mode.

2. Join a church, get baptized and attribute your conversion to the priest or minister. Gaze reverently into his eyes as he pontificates about the nature of God. Sighing every once and a while, or wiping a tear will guarantee their devotion. If you join a revival church, fall to the floor, shake your body, put up both hands and yell: JAYsus-ah! NEVER bring up the topic of sexual molestation to your priest, no matter how many boys or girls he may have poked.

3. Every Sunday, make sure you put a large sum of MONEY into the church's MONEY basket. Make sure that everyone in the congregation sees you giving MONEY.

4. When talking with your priest and religious friends, occasionally confuse something that they said with something that Jesus said. This will impress them and they will think more highly of you.

5. Read the Bible, but ignore the atrocities and concentrate only on what seems "good" to you. For instance, discard the parts where God kills firstborns, pregnant women, etc., and only keep verses such as "God is love." Its like taking a sugar coated bitter pill, but it will appear good and that's what counts here!

If you would like the other fifteen just ask.

;)

A drunk staggered down the main street of the town. Somehow he managed to make it up the stairs to a cathedral and into the entrance, where he crashed from pew to pew, finally making his way to a side aisle and into a confessional.

A priest had observed all this, and figured the fellow needed some help, so he entered his side of the confessional. After the priest sat there in deathly silence, he finally asked, "May I help you, my son?"

"I dunno," came the drunk's voice from behind the partition. "You got any paper on your side?"
Imhotep

United States

#152731 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
This forum and idiots like you for the most part. Never gave a thought to the subject until I got on PTAG a couple of years ago and watched the boils like you festering. And outright lies and misleading statements. Caused me to do some research and delve into the matter more, and spend a few minutes a day thinking about it. The forum was a catalyst for putting patterns and observations over a lifetime, coupled with my analytic and technical mind and skills. All kicked into gear because of blurting boils beating up on believers revealing weaknesses in their arguments. I remember we had this alleged Bible scholar from TX that was an especially egregious and obnoxious Christian basher. He was in your league. We went back and forth for months. One of his big things was the time after the crucifixion being evidence it was a conspiracy. Boy, did he ever hate Paul. Then I dropped the bomb on him. He had been using 1 AD as the crucifixion date. Made a big difference in the numbers he had been using as evidence. He disappeared after that.
I have a completely different read of religious works than you can have. Your mind is too weak to see allegory and metaphor, hence your need for literal in the hand "evidence". But you aren't alone.
I did some experiments 30 years ago that led to my alluding to the telluric currents on here. An energy flow that was tapped into and turned into a god. It grew from those local machines, which is what Baal was, to a monotheistic all encompassing the universe figure, representing the source of that energy. Such is still done with the BBT. I have an electrical background, but I have learned to see the components in a different perspective. Simply put it is the bipolarness of our existence setting things into motion. That, too, is evident in the BBT, even in gravity. Something caused the separation to cause the charge.
I did experiments. Didn't know exactly what I was doing, just following some basic physics principles. I can go out into a field with some rudimentary equipment, and pull forces out of the earth and atmosphere that will make you shit your pants. I can wrap them into self-sustaining circuits. You would feel them. It's pretty complicated as to what actually goes on, but you can assemble things you would rather not, which is why I abandoned further experiments since that time. It's is tapping into energy flows, but with those flows come flows within the larger flow. We are also formed the same way.
The ancients did the same thing, with more knowledge of the desired effects than I have, but they lacked a knowledge we now have in our sights, and their systems eventually decayed. Blood sacrifice started as a means to initiate the process, and to strengthen it. Blood is energy.
You have to get unstuck from the symbology of what you read and learn, and understand the processes that lead to such things.
We ultimately are devices used to manifest the expressions of something larger. Bulbs on a stadium billboard.
Did I answer your question?
Jesus is coming...
...get a towel!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#152732 Feb 9, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I'm on but the bottle says Thorazine.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#152733 Feb 9, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>Philosophy has questions that may never be answered.

Religion has answers that may never be questioned.

Jesus made his usual rounds in heaven when he noticed a wizened, white-haired old man sitting in a corner looking very disconsolate. The next week he was disturbed to come across him again, looking equally miserable, and a week later he stopped to talk to him.

"See here, old fellow," said Jesus kindly, "this is heaven. The sun is shining, you've got all you could want to eat, all the instruments you might want to play-- you're supposed to be blissfully happy! What's wrong?

"Well," said the old man, "you see, I was a carpenter on earth, and lost my only, dearly beloved son at an early age. And here in heaven I was hoping more than anything to find him."

Tears sprang from Jesus' eyes. "FATHER!" he cried.

The old man jumped to his feet, bursting into tears, and sobbed, "PINOCCHIO"!

;)
Funny.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#152734 Feb 9, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing like a good sized murder of crows and wake of vultures.
<wipes tear>
I'm partial to a knot of toads.
Imhotep

United States

#152736 Feb 9, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny.
I am pleased that you have a sense of humor.
We may not agree on Gods and such, but laughter soothes the soul.

Q: Why are there so few Buddhist rhythm and blues bands?
A: Because Buddhists don't have any soul.

Wilson runs a nail factory and decides his business needs a bit of advertising. He has a chat with a friend who works in marketing and he offers to make a TV ad for Wilson's Nails.

"Give me a week," says the friend, "and I'll be back with a tape."

A week goes by and the marketing executive comes to see Wilson. He puts a cassette in the video and presses play. A Roman soldier is busy nailing Jesus to the cross. He turns to face the camera and says with a grin "Use Wilson's Nails, they'll hold anything."

Wilson goes mad shouting: "What is the matter with you? They'll never show that on TV. Give it another try, but no more Romans crucifying Jesus!"

Another week goes by and the marketing man comes back to see Wilson with another tape. He puts it in the machine and hits play. This time the camera pans out from a Roman standing with his arms folded to show Jesus on the cross. The Roman looks up at him and says 'Wilson's Nails, they'll hold anything'.

Wilson is beside himself. "You don't understand: I don't want anything with Jesus on the cross! Now listen, I'll give you one last chance. Come back in a week with an advertisement that I can broadcast."

A week passes and Wilson waits impatiently. The marketing executive arrives and puts on the new video. A naked man with long hair, gasping for breath, is running across a field. About a dozen Roman soldiers come over the hill, hot on his trail. One of them turns to camera and says 'If only we had used Wilson's Nails!'.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#152738 Feb 9, 2013
Yes indeed you worship a hideous immoral myth a divine genocidal beast.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
2 Peter 3:9
King James Version (KJV)
9 "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

Lexington, KY

#152739 Feb 10, 2013
Obsess much? Ok gramps I noticed you have made several errors in your schizophrenic ramblings. First you say you were an atheist for 50 years until a mean topix atheist bashed Jesus and Paul. This upset you for some reason and lead you to understand god was real and had been hiding in your old work as an electrician. And you honestly expect us to believe this?

If this were true that a topix poster and fellow atheist made you convert to being a theist because he bashed Jesus and Paul then you sir are a very weak minded sheep. Even I don't believe you are that stupid Dave, you're just not. You are a liar though and a Christian hiding his faith.

Had you been a baker no doubt god would be yeast. Baal was an ancient middle eastern god and was often the god of the city. Several cities had Baal gods almost like a guard dog-gods so to speak. Your machine nonsense and ancients doing similar strings and magnets experiments for god is sadly a product of your imagination.

And your correct interpretation of the bible to smooth things out is typical of Christians, which you are as shown by you getting furious at Jesus and Paul being mocked.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
This forum. One of his big things was the time after the crucifixion being evidence it was a conspiracy. Boy, did he ever hate Paul. It grew from those local machines, which is what Baal was, I have an electrical background,
The ancients did the same thing, with more knowledge of the desired effects than I have,
We ultimately are devices used to manifest the expressions of something larger.

Lexington, KY

#152740 Feb 10, 2013
The difference being we would have evidence for ice bergs.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob I wonder what would happen if we could go back in time and try to warn the passengers boarding the Titanic of their ill fated voyage. A new ship, on it’s maiden voyage. Advertised so well built that even God couldn’t sink it.
I bet not one person would change their mind, not one. We would be seen as crazy and probably locked up in the jail. The Titanic was a death ship before it left the port Bob.
No one would believe it even if you told them it wasn’t going to make it.
A myth? A joke? No it was a doomed voyage and history has bared out that fact. History will also bare out the truth about God. You say no God, I say yes. But History will unveil the truth Bob, it will.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#152741 Feb 10, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
So all Hindus, Buddhists, Jainists, etc. are immoral in your mind.
You clearly haven't understood my point...

Location hidden

#152742 Feb 10, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep making stuff up.
"Transcendence" refers to the aspect of God's nature and power which is wholly independent of (and removed from) the material universe.
You have yet to prove that the concept of "independent / removed / outside the universe" is even meaningful possible. Do that and then you can work on what evidence you have of any intelligence behind it.
Laws of logic.

Are they material or immaterial?

Location hidden

#152743 Feb 10, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the only one trying to claim societal morals are "absolute". But you've yet to provide independently verifiable evidence for such a claim.
That is not what I have claimed, so I cannot respond to this point...

Location hidden

#152744 Feb 10, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't need god for that.
And love isn't absolute.
You realise that this is mere opinion of course?

Location hidden

#152745 Feb 10, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
whoever says,‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire
Jesus was not saying that foolish reasoning is not to be identified...:-)

Location hidden

#152746 Feb 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text> Humanism. No deity required.
So humanism is the basis of morality.

So when slavery was morally acceptable, by society, it was ok?

According to your argument, it would be.

Location hidden

#152747 Feb 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text> Humanism. No deity required.
And to take your argument to its illogical conclusion, morality did not exist before humanism arose...

Location hidden

#152748 Feb 10, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists say with their tongue that there is no God, u can't know what their heart says.
How many religious people say they love God from their mouths but they kill their neighbour? Get jealous of their neighbour? Those are the people who have denied God from their hearts. They are the fools!
I don't say I know.

I say God knows and He has told us.

Distinct difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr geezerjock 23,259
$13.5m for jehovah’s witness sex victim 1 hr P_Smith 2
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 1 hr P_Smith 9
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 2 hr Reason Personified 16
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 hr woodtick57 2,612
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Morse 1,455
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 6 hr thetruth 168
More from around the web