Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#152606 Feb 8, 2013
Yes we often see Daffy hen getting humiliated on the facts go on these bizarre off topic temper tantrums in a desperate attempt to change the subject. It is his defense mechanism I suppose.

Don't worry Daffy when you finish with your sadism rant we will still be reminding you about your lies as we are doing during your rant.

Isn't that wonderful? You're welcome.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t see you as sadist.
You’re just an ordinary narcissistic sh*t head who openly practices religious bigotry and proud of it.
None of it you would do if we met in person. But because you are anonymous you feel more powerful. Sort of a cowardly approach you take my good friend.
I’m not criticizing you for being an Atheist. It’s your narcissism that stinks. It’s not my fault you have the Napoleon syndrome in addition to your narcissism.
You also need to brush up on your one liners, they lack any humor or meaning. Kinda bland like you are.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#152607 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"In short"
Short on humor,
Short on good recants,
Short on smart quips,
Short on interpersonal skills,
Short on respect,
Short in physical stature.
Just all around short.
Gimpy short.
You may find solace in the fact that you are so short on proof of god, that you are practically invisible.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#152608 Feb 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
Ok so quoting Merriam-Webster is a lie? LOL. You'll have to do better then that.
Dictionaries are fantastic tools, as long as you know how to use them. I won't be exampling the words - "religion" or "faith" - since they do not apply to atheism, as you'll see.

I'm going to look at the word meaning for - atheism - since that's what is in dispute here. I'll be using the Merriam-Webster definitions, too, like you did, no?

Let's look....

Definition of ATHEISM
1 archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Origin of ATHEISM
Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a-+ theos god
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ath...

You said you used Merriam-Webster for the definitions you supplied? This is what you supplied.

Langoliers wrote: Atheism
Belief that there is no Deity or Deities.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Imagine that. The definition you supplied, and that you said came from Merriam-Webster doesn't match. Let's look at this word from Merriam Webster.

You might be unaware of what it means.

Definition of DECEITFUL
: having a tendency or disposition to deceive:
a : not honest <a deceitful child>
b : deceptive, misleading <deceitful advertising>

Synonyms: crooked, fraudulent, defrauding, dishonest, double-dealing, false

^^^ That^^^ is^^^what^^^deceitful^^^means^ ^^.

Anyway, let's continue. Did you notice that the word from Merriam-Webster used the word - disbelief - in defining atheism? Disbelief is key to understanding what atheism means, and is used in defining atheism in Merriam-Webster for obvious reasons. We should look at that word in more depth.

Definition of DISBELIEF
: the act of disbelieving : mental rejection of something as untrue

Examples of DISBELIEF
She stared at him in utter disbelief.
<their story explaining their absence was met with frank disbelief>

Synonyms: incredulity, nonbelief, unbelief

Related Words: discredit, distrust, doubt, mistrust, skepticism, suspicion, uncertainty; denial, rejection, repudiation, unfaith
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dis...

Notice it uses "nonbelief" and "unbelief" as synonyms, and also related words are "rejection" and "unfaith". Huh ... nonbelief and unfaith are related to - disbelief. That rules out religion or faith being a component of - atheism.

I figured we should probably look at the root meaning for the prefix - dis. This will clarify - disbelief - even further, and, what the fnck, I've got 4000 characters to burn here.

Plus, you said :
Langoliers wrote:
LOL. You'll have to do better then that.
*Then*, I guess I must, yes?

Continuing.

dis-/ not, not any / disbelief, discomfort, discredit, disrepair, disrespect
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0907036.html
^^^Look^^^ at^^^ that^^^.

It means - not, not any. So, when you combine the prefix "dis", with "belief", you get, in an actual meaning, not metaphorical, allegorical, simile or parable.....

...NOT - BELIEF, NOT ANY - BELIEF.

BTW the root meaning for "a" is not, without.

So, atheism means - NOT THEISM, WITHOUT THEISM.

One last definition from Merriam-Webster - the dictionary that you prefer.
http://tinyurl.com/6f8ghk
I think it and "deceitful" applies to you in this instance.

Using Merriam-Webster to define the word, it's clear - atheism - isn't a belief, faith, or religion.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#152609 Feb 9, 2013
You know Daffy I have a great idea for you and Dave.

How about instead of complaining and calling atheists rude,sadists or whatever bumbling you muster, you instead come up with better arguments? Oh and an effort to not always make a jackass out of yourself might help as well.

For all you two complain about us you sure can't get enough of us so hey step up your game eh?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"In short," yep that's what I'm talking about, you being short.
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152610 Feb 9, 2013
i no longer have actual faith in my religion I believe it like the guy who wrongly asked god to give him powers simon..

because I have physical tangible reproducible proof..

prayer doesn't work but doing stuff to or for people that way God prolongs your life span to fulfill his prophecies is a complete reality..

prayer was never meant to work the bible said do not pray because God already knows what you want..
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152611 Feb 9, 2013
if something bad happens prayer should not work because he already answered it from it happening in the first place..
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152612 Feb 9, 2013
god is blackmailable through actions..

chess for instance blackmails god into prolonging your life span until you checkmate someone..

which is what the catholics used to take other people over in the name of their religion..

which was against their religion but since they blackmailed god with chess games it ain't matter..
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152613 Feb 9, 2013
if it's not true then i renounce my faith because it's been reporduceable and true..

but it is true..

i'm worse than peter popoff because my miracles actually work..
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152614 Feb 9, 2013
and may not even be based on God .. but other realities I just gave god the credit for the hell of it..
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152615 Feb 9, 2013
so if god doesn't exist I still know how to do miracles..
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152616 Feb 9, 2013
I have atheistic miracles..!!
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152617 Feb 9, 2013
which i will use to purposely reincarnate myself..
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152618 Feb 9, 2013
no seriously though is messed up that I can do miracles without even believing in God because I found a science behind it I guess..
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152619 Feb 9, 2013
it's easier than the secret..

it requires less effort..
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152620 Feb 9, 2013
don't that scare anyone that I know how to do miracles without even worrying about if God is real or not??
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152621 Feb 9, 2013
it may or may not e God who cares it works..
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152622 Feb 9, 2013
better and more garaunteed than prayer and more biblically validated than prayer i can validate the whole bible with 3 verses..
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152623 Feb 9, 2013
it's so true that even if it wasn't true it would still be true..
bigtruths

Voorhees, NJ

#152624 Feb 9, 2013
if prayer worked would that prove god if that says yes then god is real ..

but if prayer working doesn't prove god then neither does this..
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#152625 Feb 9, 2013
Despite the odd f**k up like you, we do OK.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hasn't seemed to work very well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 18 min woodtick57 2,166
God' existence 1 hr polymath257 55
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 1 hr polymath257 112
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 2 hr Geezerjock 1
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr _Bad Company 1,436
Australia: black magic pervert retard 3 hr Thinking 4
Evidence for God! 5 hr ChristineM 366