Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239092 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#152675 Feb 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
We have moved past 1570. Atheist and agnostic are not mutually exclusive terms as has been explained to you umpteenth times.
I see you are one of those Christians who bleats, don't call yourself an atheist! Call yourself anything but that! Bleat bleat bleat.
<quoted text>
It would be nice if you had the intelligence, and even more important, the mental maturity, to carry on a real discussion with.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#152676 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you have a belief system, with the attendant faith requirement to sustain that belief.
Describe that belief system.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#152677 Feb 9, 2013
Aww Dave is going full Christian apologetic arguments now. The tired old atheism is a religion fallacy right on time.

And yes Dave we will tell you what an atheist is when you get it wrong.

You're very welcome.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you have a belief system, with the attendant faith requirement to sustain that belief.

Westcliffe, CO

#152678 Feb 9, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, again, for illustrating what is being discussed here, and that no one can tell you what an atheist is or isn't, and that what is found in a dictionary, or reference source, while many people may agree, but not all do.
But there are definitions that do suit a persons stance, and those are available.
Thanks, Dave. You proved my point, flawlessly.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quibbler

That is what you are.

Westcliffe, CO

#152679 Feb 9, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Describe that belief system.
That if you keep your head up your ass, and quibble a lot, you will never find proof of a deity or order of higher intelligence.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#152680 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Really so anything that you or I do not believe in is taken on faith.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#152681 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what you are.
Don't be angry, Dave.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#152682 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That if you keep your head up your ass, and quibble a lot, you will never find proof of a deity or order of higher intelligence.
Don't be angry, Dave.

Westcliffe, CO

#152683 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Don't be angry, Dave.
It's an appraisal, Scar, not anger.

Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they are mad at you.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#152684 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what you are.
You Are My Destiny
You share my reverie
You are my happiness
That's what you are

You have my sweet caress
You share my loneliness
You are my dream come true
That's what you are

OK, whose song?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#152685 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It's an appraisal, Scar, not anger.
Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they are mad at you.
Also, your opinion is just an opinion, as is mine.

My opinion is that you became a little grumbled.
Imhotep

United States

#152686 Feb 9, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Still You can't answer this question?
Do You believe there is no God or gods?
If you answer no then why do you attack Theists and call their faith a myth?
You do this because you do have a positive assertion that there is no God or gods. The facts are posted all over these threads by atheist and you with a positive assertion that there is no such thing as a God or gods.
Sorry but you still lose.
Lose?
Are you in a contest?
There isn't a 'winner/loser.

You have faith/beliefs that we do not.

Faith
Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.

Faith Christianity. The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.

The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.

Atheist view...

We see no fundamental difference between religious beliefs that include one god or more than one. Gods are human inventions.

For example, in the Bible, the command to worship one God in one way only, to the exclusion of all others, seems originally to have been a way of uniting a people within their social structure and engendering enmity against other peoples who might compete for, or already possess, desired land and resources, and ‘justification’ for their genocide related in several places in the Bible such as Numbers 31:17-18. In the books of Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings, genocide and regicide are shown as commands from God, who is clearly a god of war in those books.

The idea of the biblical God changes throughout the course of the Bible as does the name, and there seem to be several changes of Deity.

There are many examples in your Bible.
;)

Westcliffe, CO

#152687 Feb 9, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, your opinion is just an opinion, as is mine.
My opinion is that you became a little grumbled.
My opinion is based on facts.

You seem over-sensitized to criticism. Had a lot of it?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#152688 Feb 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>I have not seen heard smelled felt or tasted a god, but YOU say there is one. You believe there's a god. I don't believe you.
Therefore either you prove there is a god or shut the fuck up.
Because I believe things I can see hear feel taste and or smell.
Produce a god and I will believe you.
Still You can't answer this question?

Do You believe there is no God or gods?

If you answer no then why do you attack Theists and call their faith a myth?

You do this because you do have a positive assertion that there is no God or gods. The facts are posted all over these threads by atheist and you with a positive assertion that there is no such thing as a God or gods.

Sorry but you still lose.

Location hidden

#152689 Feb 9, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, I've never said "no gods exist".
Well you make up you mind and get back to me.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#152690 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what you are.
Sometimes I think that quibbling is what Topix is for. We sure do see a lot of it. Here on the Atheist forum, we have one writer who seems to be do nothing but argue about whether the UK is a monarchy or not and another who spent months arguing about whether humans landed on the moon as aliens to it and whether Pharaohs were really gods. IMO, those who repeat the same tired arguments without end are dead weight in forums that could be moving along instead of getting stuck all of the time.

Sometimes I feel like Diogenes in a fruitless search for original thinking. They are few and far between. One of the reasons that I post less often than most other regulars is that I try not to repeat what has already been said more than can be helped.

There's an old joke, kinda gross, but apt:

"Daddy, Daddy, I keep going around in circles."

"Shut up or I'll nail down your other foot!"

Some of us write like that kid, with one of both feet nailed to a single argument. I'd love to see more with their feet free (and healed), running with wild abandon in the realm of ideas.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#152691 Feb 9, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You Are My Destiny
You share my reverie
You are my happiness
That's what you are
You have my sweet caress
You share my loneliness
You are my dream come true
That's what you are
OK, whose song?
Hmmm... I was thinking Frankie Avalon, but I looked it up and it was his doppelganger,Paul Anka.

Location hidden

#152692 Feb 9, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>Lose?

You have faith/beliefs that we do not.

Faith
Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.

Faith Christianity. The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.

The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.

Atheist view...

We see no fundamental difference between religious beliefs that include one god or more than one. Gods are human inventions.

For example, in the Bible, the command to worship one God in one way only, to the exclusion of all others, seems originally to have been a way of uniting a people within their social structure and engendering enmity against other peoples who might compete for, or already possess, desired land and resources, and ‘justification’ for their genocide related in several places in the Bible such as Numbers 31:17-18. In the books of Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings, genocide and regicide are shown as commands from God, who is clearly a god of war in those books.

The idea of the biblical God changes throughout the course of the Bible as does the name, and there seem to be several changes of Deity.

There are many examples in your Bible.
;)
You are wrong, you do have a belief.
You are supporting you brethren any they support you on your beliefs.
You come on these threads and positively assert your beliefs and attack the people who beliefs differ from yours

Westcliffe, CO

#152693 Feb 9, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes I think that quibbling is what Topix is for. We sure do see a lot of it. Here on the Atheist forum, we have one writer who seems to be do nothing but argue about whether the UK is a monarchy or not and another who spent months arguing about whether humans landed on the moon as aliens to it and whether Pharaohs were really gods. IMO, those who repeat the same tired arguments without end are dead weight in forums that could be moving along instead of getting stuck all of the time.
Sometimes I feel like Diogenes in a fruitless search for original thinking. They are few and far between. One of the reasons that I post less often than most other regulars is that I try not to repeat what has already been said more than can be helped.
There's an old joke, kinda gross, but apt:
"Daddy, Daddy, I keep going around in circles."
"Shut up or I'll nail down your other foot!"
Some of us write like that kid, with one of both feet nailed to a single argument. I'd love to see more with their feet free (and healed), running with wild abandon in the realm of ideas.
To be honest, that would raise the bar too high for most Topix atheists.

Your sentiments are shared by many.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152694 Feb 9, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Just call me Pan!
Peter Pan.
That's right, you never grew up and live in Never Neverland.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 33 min NoahLovesU 7,369
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 47 min NoahLovesU 7,465
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 1 hr thetruth 108
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Sun hpcaban 30
News .com | What hope is there without God? May 20 Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) May 19 Kathleen 19,031
More from around the web