Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247823 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#152667 Feb 9, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not lack a Theist believe you have an atheist believe. You have a positive assertion that no God or gods exist. You are one here for one reason and that is to spread your positive assertion that God does not exist.
This is self evident proof.
Nope, I've never said "no gods exist".

“Input”

Since: Dec 10

Input

#152668 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
I was an atheist for 50 years. I've had countless discussions on the subject, used much the same basis for it as you guys, a disbelief in Bible God at first. For the record, I still don't believe in that version. But the difference between you and me was I didn't tell others they were stupid for believing, or get into knock down drag outs with them. I gave arguments for why I believed what I did. I denied the existence of gods. It was my belief. I had no reason to weasel words to define myself.
I will say this kindly.
YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT A FUCKING ATHEIST IS OR ISN'T.
My present views are fairly recent. I do not subscribe to a particular god or belief system. I am just aware, reinforced heavily by an understanding of physics and systems.
Magneto is your god. lol

http://cdn1.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads...

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#152669 Feb 9, 2013
You are the one who confessed to torturing animals as a child and you dream about your Jesus having non believers tortured for eternity. How can you possibly be a bigger sadist? Now compare all your sadist talk to yourself and Jesus.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It’s pretty evident that you are a sadist by what you have written. You seem to enjoy being abusive and cruel. By your reaction to my comments we must have struck a chord with you.
That’s good because your behavior is anti social and not considered normal by no means. This sadism is something Jeffery Dahmer had and other mass murders including BTK.
The recent case of this man taking a kid hostage after murdering his bus driver. Then keeping this 5 year old hostage in a bunker is also another example of sadism. The man had reported beat one of the neighbors dog to death with a pipe.
Anti social behavior is not good, not at all. You have some real deep seated issues and you need to get help. I have no way to know if you have harmed others in a physical sense. If you have you need to turn yourself in.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#152670 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT A FUCKING ATHEIST IS OR ISN'T.
Thanks, again, for illustrating what is being discussed here, and that no one can tell you what an atheist is or isn't, and that what is found in a dictionary, or reference source, while many people may agree, but not all do.

But there are definitions that do suit a persons stance, and those are available.

Thanks, Dave. You proved my point, flawlessly.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#152671 Feb 9, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> I supplied numerous definitions from respected dictionaries that are in line with and accurately reflect a correct and modern usage of the term atheist or atheism.
So, obviously, it isn't just atheists that don't agree with the definitions you find in Merriam-Websters etc...
<quoted text> Probably because I don't have an apathetic stance concerning the subject.
<quoted text>
Correct. I'm an atheist.
Then you have a belief system, with the attendant faith requirement to sustain that belief.

Westcliffe, CO

#152672 Feb 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Magneto is your god. lol
No, it is that which turns, or causes the magneto to turn.

Lexington, KY

#152673 Feb 9, 2013
We have moved past 1570. Atheist and agnostic are not mutually exclusive terms as has been explained to you umpteenth times.

I see you are one of those Christians who bleats, don't call yourself an atheist! Call yourself anything but that! Bleat bleat bleat.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"1570s, from French athéiste (16c.), from Greek atheos "without god, denying the gods; abandoned of the gods; godless, ungodly," from a- "without" + theos "a god" "
OK, then we will just say you are confused.
Agnostic fits your pronounced non-belief better than atheist. Unless you were abandoned by the gods.
But I am sure atheist sounds cooler to you.

Lexington, KY

#152674 Feb 9, 2013
Magneto Christ!

Lol!
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Magneto is your god. lol

Westcliffe, CO

#152675 Feb 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
We have moved past 1570. Atheist and agnostic are not mutually exclusive terms as has been explained to you umpteenth times.
I see you are one of those Christians who bleats, don't call yourself an atheist! Call yourself anything but that! Bleat bleat bleat.
<quoted text>
It would be nice if you had the intelligence, and even more important, the mental maturity, to carry on a real discussion with.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#152676 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you have a belief system, with the attendant faith requirement to sustain that belief.
Describe that belief system.

Lexington, KY

#152677 Feb 9, 2013
Aww Dave is going full Christian apologetic arguments now. The tired old atheism is a religion fallacy right on time.

And yes Dave we will tell you what an atheist is when you get it wrong.

You're very welcome.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

Westcliffe, CO

#152678 Feb 9, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, again, for illustrating what is being discussed here, and that no one can tell you what an atheist is or isn't, and that what is found in a dictionary, or reference source, while many people may agree, but not all do.
But there are definitions that do suit a persons stance, and those are available.
Thanks, Dave. You proved my point, flawlessly.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quibbler

That is what you are.

Westcliffe, CO

#152679 Feb 9, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Describe that belief system.
That if you keep your head up your ass, and quibble a lot, you will never find proof of a deity or order of higher intelligence.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#152680 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Really so anything that you or I do not believe in is taken on faith.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#152681 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quibbler
That is what you are.
Don't be angry, Dave.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#152682 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That if you keep your head up your ass, and quibble a lot, you will never find proof of a deity or order of higher intelligence.
Don't be angry, Dave.

Westcliffe, CO

#152683 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Don't be angry, Dave.
It's an appraisal, Scar, not anger.

Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they are mad at you.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#152684 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what you are.
You Are My Destiny
You share my reverie
You are my happiness
That's what you are

You have my sweet caress
You share my loneliness
You are my dream come true
That's what you are

OK, whose song?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#152685 Feb 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It's an appraisal, Scar, not anger.
Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they are mad at you.
Also, your opinion is just an opinion, as is mine.

My opinion is that you became a little grumbled.
Imhotep

United States

#152686 Feb 9, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Still You can't answer this question?
Do You believe there is no God or gods?
If you answer no then why do you attack Theists and call their faith a myth?
You do this because you do have a positive assertion that there is no God or gods. The facts are posted all over these threads by atheist and you with a positive assertion that there is no such thing as a God or gods.
Sorry but you still lose.
Lose?
Are you in a contest?
There isn't a 'winner/loser.

You have faith/beliefs that we do not.

Faith
Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.

Faith Christianity. The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.

The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.

Atheist view...

We see no fundamental difference between religious beliefs that include one god or more than one. Gods are human inventions.

For example, in the Bible, the command to worship one God in one way only, to the exclusion of all others, seems originally to have been a way of uniting a people within their social structure and engendering enmity against other peoples who might compete for, or already possess, desired land and resources, and ‘justification’ for their genocide related in several places in the Bible such as Numbers 31:17-18. In the books of Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings, genocide and regicide are shown as commands from God, who is clearly a god of war in those books.

The idea of the biblical God changes throughout the course of the Bible as does the name, and there seem to be several changes of Deity.

There are many examples in your Bible.
;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 3 hr par five 101
Proof of God for the Atheist 4 hr thetruth 136
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr thetruth 2,371
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 4 hr thetruth 47,926
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr Critical Eye 20,904
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 6 hr NoahLikesPi 41
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 hr NoahLikesPi 12,988
More from around the web