Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#152583 Feb 8, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I am honored to have this much power and control over you. <quoted text>
Thank you for your comments. This gives me the opportunity to explain Sadism. And how it blends in with other personality disorders. The following reference is from Wiki:

Sadism is a behavioral disorder characterized by a callous, vicious, manipulative, and degrading behavior expressed towards other people. To date, the exact cause of sadism is not known clearly. However, many theories have been given to explain the possible reasons underlying the development of a sadistic personality in an individual.

Sadism involves gaining pleasure from seeing others undergo pain or discomfort. The Opponent-Process Theory explains the way in which individuals not only display, but also take enjoyment in committing sadistic acts. Individuals possessing sadistic personalities display recurrent cruel behavior and aggression. Sadism can also include the use of physical and emotional cruelty, purposefully manipulating others through the use of fear, and a preoccupation with violence.
While some sadistic individuals do gain pleasure in imposing pain and suffering upon others, sadism does not always involve the use of physical aggression or violence. More often, sadistic individuals express aggressive social behaviors and enjoy publicly humiliating others in order to achieve a sense of power over them.

Sadistic Personality Disorder is often found to occur in unison with other personality disorders. In fact, studies have found that Sadistic Personality Disorder is the personality disorder with the highest level of comorbidity to other types of psychopathologic disorders. However, sadism has also been found in patients who do not display other forms of psychopathic disorders. One personality disorder that is oftentimes found to occur alongside Sadistic Personality disorder are Conduct Disorders. In addition, anti-social and narcissistic personality disorders are sometimes found in individuals diagnosed with Sadistic Personality Disorder. Other disorders that are also oftentimes found to exist with Sadistic Personality Disorder include Bipolar Disorder, Panic Disorders, Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, Histrionic Personality Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Self-Defeating Personality Disorder and Passive-Aggressive Personality Disorder. Studies have found other types of illnesses, such as alcoholism, to have a high rate of comorbidity with Sadistic Personality Disorder.

Because of its high level of comorbidity with other disorders, researches have had some level of difficulty distinguishing Sadistic Personality Disorder from other forms of personality disorder. While Sadistic Personality Disorder itself is no longer included in the DSM, partially for this reason, other types of disorders involving sadism, such as sexual sadism, are still found in the DSM.

Most of these theories commonly point out the fact that sadism is mainly dependent on the upbringing of an individual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadistic_persona...

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#152584 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an American a**hole. I donít care for Europe and neither did my ancestors. Thatís why they left the damn place and came to America. Europe can deal with their own dismal history.
Hahahahahahaha

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#152585 Feb 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Do You believe there is no God or gods?
If you answer no then why do you attack Theists and call their faith a myth?
You do this because you do have a positive assertion that there is no God or gods. The facts are posted all over these threads by atheist and you with a positive assertion that there is no such thing as a God or gods.
Sorry but you lose.
No I do not have your belief in god, bring him over so that I can believe it is real. Until then between us , it is your belief alone.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152586 Feb 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You referring to this article?
"Posted by derek4
"¬ďAtheism:[is] a religion¬Ē
¬ďAtheism is the belief that there is no god. According to the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy:
¬ďAtheism is the position that affirms the non-existence of God. It proposes positive disbelief rather than mere suspension of belief.¬Ē
Buddhism is atheistic in the sense of denying that there is any overarching deity such as the Creator-God of the Bible. Atheism in the western sense excludes Buddhism, and adherents claim that it is not a religion. One Atheist said:
¬ďCalling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour¬Ē
[Poster's insert: Above quote demonstrates the unoriginality of Hedonist's post which made the same statement, plagiarizing the author, since he linked to no source and dishonestly presented it as his own thought.]
text continues:
However, atheists make such claims so Atheism can avoid legal imperatives placed on religions in many countries, and can avoid some of the ideological hang-ups people have about ¬ďreligion¬Ē. It also creates a false dichotomy between science (which they claim must be naturalistic and secular) and religion.
Atheism will be defined in the contemporary western sense: not just the lack of belief in a god, but the assertion about the non-existence of any gods, spirits, or divine or supernatural beings. Atheists in this sense are metaphysical naturalists, and as will be shown, they DO follow a religion.
Continued; (Conclusion:)
Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion. This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned, but this should not be so.
Contemporary Western Atheism unquestionably has six of the seven dimensions of religion set forth by Smart, and the remaining dimension, ritual, has also started to develop. Thus it¬ís fallacious to assert,¬ďCalling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour¬Ē. Perhaps a better analogy would be calling a shaved head a ¬ďhairstyle¬Ē. Other than the denial of the divine, there is little difference between Atheism and other worldviews typically labeled as religions.
The dichotomy that Atheists try to create between science and religion is false. The conflict is between interpretations of science coming from different religious worldviews.
Atheism shouldn’t be taught or enforced in settings where other religions are banned and shouldn’t be favoured by laws which imply a religiously neutral government."
http://creation.com/atheism-a-religion
Hint, creation websites are full of BS. When you grow up you will come to realise this.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152587 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an American a**hole.....
Yes you are.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152588 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your comments. This gives me the opportunity to explain Sadism. And how it blends in with other personality disorders. The following reference is from Wiki:
Sadism is a behavioral disorder characterized by a callous, vicious, manipulative, and degrading behavior expressed towards other people. To date, the exact cause of sadism is not known clearly. However, many theories have been given to explain the possible reasons underlying the development of a sadistic personality in an individual.
Sadism involves gaining pleasure from seeing others undergo pain or discomfort. The Opponent-Process Theory explains the way in which individuals not only display, but also take enjoyment in committing sadistic acts. Individuals possessing sadistic personalities display recurrent cruel behavior and aggression. Sadism can also include the use of physical and emotional cruelty, purposefully manipulating others through the use of fear, and a preoccupation with violence.
While some sadistic individuals do gain pleasure in imposing pain and suffering upon others, sadism does not always involve the use of physical aggression or violence. More often, sadistic individuals express aggressive social behaviors and enjoy publicly humiliating others in order to achieve a sense of power over them.
Sadistic Personality Disorder is often found to occur in unison with other personality disorders. In fact, studies have found that Sadistic Personality Disorder is the personality disorder with the highest level of comorbidity to other types of psychopathologic disorders. However, sadism has also been found in patients who do not display other forms of psychopathic disorders. One personality disorder that is oftentimes found to occur alongside Sadistic Personality disorder are Conduct Disorders. In addition, anti-social and narcissistic personality disorders are sometimes found in individuals diagnosed with Sadistic Personality Disorder. Other disorders that are also oftentimes found to exist with Sadistic Personality Disorder include Bipolar Disorder, Panic Disorders, Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, Histrionic Personality Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Self-Defeating Personality Disorder and Passive-Aggressive Personality Disorder. Studies have found other types of illnesses, such as alcoholism, to have a high rate of comorbidity with Sadistic Personality Disorder.
Because of its high level of comorbidity with other disorders, researches have had some level of difficulty distinguishing Sadistic Personality Disorder from other forms of personality disorder. While Sadistic Personality Disorder itself is no longer included in the DSM, partially for this reason, other types of disorders involving sadism, such as sexual sadism, are still found in the DSM.
Most of these theories commonly point out the fact that sadism is mainly dependent on the upbringing of an individual.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadistic_persona...
Sadism is the new word for the week and weak. Let's see how many time sadism can be used in the one sentence.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#152589 Feb 8, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you are.
Hey, where you been?

Eagle is lamer than ever.

Southern Illinois

#152590 Feb 8, 2013
Thereís a man hunt for a former LAPD officer that went rouge and killed a number of people because he was angry. Claiming that he was unjustly fired as an LAPD officer for turning in another police officer for brutality.

There are however legal ways one can regain their reputation and their job back. Itís called hiring a lawyer. Also available to him was the NAACP and their leadership. Another organization is the ACLU. The general population would also have stood with him in his fight for fairness.

But all that is lost now because he became judge, jury and executioner. Iím afraid this is not going to end good for this man for what he has done. He crossed the thin blue line of justice. Being terminated doesnít give one the right to go on a killing spree. Thatís why we have courts and lawyers.

All the good he may have done in his life has now been lost because of his uncontrolled temper. His family and the families of the people he killed are mourning this preventable event. Uncontrolled hate can lead to death of innocent people.

What does this have to do with this thread? A lot, because hate often manifest itself here on this thread. We are protected by anonymity to a degree. Emotions run high and so does the hate factor. I would urge you who are anti social and sadistic get professional help.

If Lt. Doner had done that perhaps he could have regained his job and back pay. All that is lost now and he is a hunted killer.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#152591 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
Thereís a man hunt for a former LAPD officer that went rouge and killed a number of people because he was angry. Claiming that he was unjustly fired as an LAPD officer for turning in another police officer for brutality.
There are however legal ways one can regain their reputation and their job back. Itís called hiring a lawyer. Also available to him was the NAACP and their leadership. Another organization is the ACLU. The general population would also have stood with him in his fight for fairness.
But all that is lost now because he became judge, jury and executioner. Iím afraid this is not going to end good for this man for what he has done. He crossed the thin blue line of justice. Being terminated doesnít give one the right to go on a killing spree. Thatís why we have courts and lawyers.
All the good he may have done in his life has now been lost because of his uncontrolled temper. His family and the families of the people he killed are mourning this preventable event. Uncontrolled hate can lead to death of innocent people.
What does this have to do with this thread? A lot, because hate often manifest itself here on this thread. We are protected by anonymity to a degree. Emotions run high and so does the hate factor. I would urge you who are anti social and sadistic get professional help.
If Lt. Doner had done that perhaps he could have regained his job and back pay. All that is lost now and he is a hunted killer.
You're right except for the last sentence.

He is a hunting killer. Somebody forgot to let the sleeping dog lie. They prey has become predator and the prey doesn't like it. Society at it's best.

Southern Illinois

#152592 Feb 8, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadism is the new word for the week and weak. Let's see how many time sadism can be used in the one sentence.
I donít see you as sadist.

Youíre just an ordinary narcissistic sh*t head who openly practices religious bigotry and proud of it.

None of it you would do if we met in person. But because you are anonymous you feel more powerful. Sort of a cowardly approach you take my good friend.

Iím not criticizing you for being an Atheist. Itís your narcissism that stinks. Itís not my fault you have the Napoleon syndrome in addition to your narcissism.

You also need to brush up on your one liners, they lack any humor or meaning. Kinda bland like you are.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152593 Feb 8, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, where you been?
Eagle is lamer than ever.
Thanks for asking, I have been marking exams and assignments, rewriting coarse notes....

In short I have been doing an impersonation of a one armed paper hanger.

As for duck12, he is one of those great universal constants, stupidity never changes.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152594 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
What a load of BS. Take your meds and go to bed like a good little boy. The grown ups are talking.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152595 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít see you as sadist.
Youíre just an ordinary narcissistic sh*t head who openly practices religious bigotry and proud of it.
None of it you would do if we met in person. But because you are anonymous you feel more powerful. Sort of a cowardly approach you take my good friend.
Iím not criticizing you for being an Atheist. Itís your narcissism that stinks. Itís not my fault you have the Napoleon syndrome in addition to your narcissism.
You also need to brush up on your one liners, they lack any humor or meaning. Kinda bland like you are.
Mmeelltt ddoowwnn and only in a few minutes that must be a personal best, congratulations.

Southern Illinois

#152596 Feb 8, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Mmeelltt ddoowwnn and only in a few minutes that must be a personal best, congratulations.
I donít dislike short or little people. I once worked for a man who stood no taller that 4 foot. He was an excellent supervisor.

You on the other hand have this power issue. Like your not tall enough. Man be content with who you are and stop trying to project power like your some type of Napoleon.

It comes down to confidence my man. A man confident in himself can only be 4 foot tall but look 7 feet tall in others eyes. Iím sorry you donít come across as being very tall.

Southern Illinois

#152597 Feb 8, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for asking, I have been marking exams and assignments, rewriting coarse notes....
As for duck12, he is one of those great universal constants, stupidity never changes.
"In short," yep that's what I'm talking about, you being short.

Southern Illinois

#152598 Feb 8, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
"In short"

Short on humor,

Short on good recants,

Short on smart quips,

Short on interpersonal skills,

Short on respect,

Short in physical stature.

Just all around short.

Gimpy short.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152599 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít dislike short or little people. I once worked for a man who stood no taller that 4 foot. He was an excellent supervisor.
You on the other hand have this power issue. Like your not tall enough. Man be content with who you are and stop trying to project power like your some type of Napoleon.
It comes down to confidence my man. A man confident in himself can only be 4 foot tall but look 7 feet tall in others eyes. Iím sorry you donít come across as being very tall.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"In short," yep that's what I'm talking about, you being short.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"In short"
Short on humor,
Short on good recants,
Short on smart quips,
Short on interpersonal skills,
Short on respect,
Short in physical stature.
Just all around short.
Gimpy short.
Make up your mind, am I tall or short?

Oh! that's right you have one, mind that is.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152600 Feb 8, 2013
Oh! and by the way Napoleon was short.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#152601 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
All the good he did is lost?

This ain't Gotham City.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#152602 Feb 8, 2013
Senile Dave is a bit cantankerous tonight yes? Someone call the nurse he may be in need of a diaper change.
Dave Nelson wrote:
The irrationality exhibited by these Topix atheist regarding the definition of atheist is the real indicator of their mental state. They refute long established definitions. There appears to be some kneejerk reaction to being judged or classified in some group, though they don't hesitate to do it to everyone that disagrees with them, which is another telling point. If you don't agree with them exactly, then you are lumped into one great big group oppressing them.
There are some serious mental issues among them. The scary part is they are empowered to vote and determine the destiny of man, while their issues can be manipulated by others with axes to grind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evidence for God! 48 min Uncle Sam 41
Heaven 4 hr susanblange 41
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 6 hr Ooogah Boogah 14,391
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 8 hr tha Professor 76
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 hr Chiclets 23,039
Our world came from nothing? 10 hr _Bad Company 1,103
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 23 hr Dally Mama 5,583

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE