Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Atheist Silurist

Portadown, UK

#152560 Feb 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
I think I may indulge myself and have a nightmare where they take over the world.
Better to have Islam take over the world,right?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#152561 Feb 8, 2013
The Topix atheist battle cry.

"Today Topix, tomorrow the world!"

May I suggest you all get together and devise a battle plan?

Any one of these would be a suitable place to meet. The facilities should meet your needs.

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/ranki...

Location hidden

#152562 Feb 8, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Better to have Islam take over the world,right?
You are helping them.

Location hidden

#152563 Feb 8, 2013
Goodnight, everyone. Sane and insane.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#152564 Feb 8, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
This has been explained to the mouth breather repeatedly. All he can do in this case is steal what Derek spammed and repost it hundreds of times. This is why he is unable to answer any questions or points you make shredding it factually.
Rather pathetic actually.
<quoted text>
The way in which the theist continually asserts that view goes beyond ignorance. I hesitate to accuse people of lying in general, as a matter of fact you can search my posts and you'll see I almost never use the word, even in an unrelated to an individual - sense.

But on this issue and in the way the word is purposefully and wrongly defined, I have to think they are intentionally lying.

I notice they rarely supply complete definitions, but that's to be expected, since most are incomplete in the religion they claim to follow, too.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#152565 Feb 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is
It's a religion
Religion
Synonyms: credo, creed, cult, FAITH, persuasion
faith\ˈfāth\
noun
b (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof
Atheism
Belief that there is no Deity or Deities.
Hence - Atheism = Religion
You are purposefully ignorant, to do so is a lie.
tabby

Warrensburg, MO

#152566 Feb 8, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthropologists are concerned about where you came from.
Evolution doesn't go backwards.
"Ralph hides in the jungle, worrying about his wounds and the inhuman violence into which the boys on the island have devolved. He thinks about Simon and Piggy and realizes that civilization is now impossible among the boys. Ralph, who is not far from the Castle Rock, thinks he sees Bill in the distance. He concludes that the boy is not Bill-at least not any more. This boy is a savage, entirely different from the boy in shorts and shirt he once knew. Ralph is certain that Jack will never leave him alone. Noticing the Lord of the Flies, now just a skull with the skin and meat eaten away, Ralph decides to fight back. He knocks the skull from the stick, which he takes, intending to use it as a spear. From a distance, Ralph can still make out the boys' chant: "Kill the beast. Cut his throat. Spill his blood."" ~ William Golding
Stop worrying about where you came from and start thinking about where you're going.
This hill, though high, I covet to ascend;
The difficulty will not me offend.
For I perceive the way to life lies here.
Come, pluck up, heart; let's neither faint nor fear.
Better, though difficult, the right way to go,
Than wrong, though easy, where the end is woe.
- John Bunyan

"The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so
is everyone who is born of the Spirit.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#152567 Feb 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Good night from the sane.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#152568 Feb 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
There are two of you?

You should let Sane post more often.
Imhotep

United States

#152569 Feb 8, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
The first hand-written English language Bible manuscripts were produced in the 1380's AD by John Wycliffe, an Oxford professor, scholar, and theologian. Wycliffe,(also spelled Wycliff & Wyclif), was well-known throughout Europe for his opposition to the teaching of the organized Church, which he believed to be contrary to the Bible. With the help of his followers, called the Lollards, and his assistant Purvey, and many other faithful scribes, Wycliffe produced dozens of English language manuscript copies of the scriptures. They were translated out of the Latin Vulgate, which was the only source text available to Wycliffe. The Pope was so infuriated by his teachings and his translation of the Bible into English, that 44 years after Wycliffe had died, he ordered the bones to be dug-up, crushed, and scattered in the river!
One of Wycliffes followers, John Hus, actively promoted Wycliffes ideas: that people should be permitted to read the Bible in their own language, and they should oppose the tyranny of the Roman church that threatened anyone possessing a non-Latin Bible with execution. Hus was burned at the stake in 1415, with Wycliffes manuscript Bibles used as kindling for the fire.
Interesting

These 'writers' were con men of their time and unable to anticipate mass literacy, the printing press, computers or the internet.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#152570 Feb 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Do You believe there is no God or gods?
If you answer no then why do you attack Theists and call their faith a myth? You do this because you do have a positive assertion that there is no God or gods.
The facts are posted all over these threads by atheist and you with a positive assertion that there is no such thing as a God or gods.
Sorry but you lose.
I don't have your belief.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#152571 Feb 8, 2013
tabby wrote:
<quoted text>
This hill, though high, I covet to ascend;
The difficulty will not me offend.
For I perceive the way to life lies here.
Come, pluck up, heart; let's neither faint nor fear.
Better, though difficult, the right way to go,
Than wrong, though easy, where the end is woe.
- John Bunyan
"The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so
is everyone who is born of the Spirit.
A sudden little river crossd my path
As unexpected as a serpent comes.
No sluggish tide congenial to the glooms;
This, as it frothd by, might have been a bath
For the fiends glowing hoofto see the wrath
Of its black eddy bespate with flakes and spumes.

So petty yet so spiteful All along,
Low scrubby alders kneeld down over it;
Drenchd willows flung them headlong in a fit
Of mute despair, a suicidal throng:
The river which had done them all the wrong,
Whateer that was, rolld by, deterrd no whit.

~ Robert Browning

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#152572 Feb 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
And then ask a stupid question like that?
So then you freely and openly admit that you can't answer his basic question, about how you would define a person that doesn't swallow childish superstitious bollocks like religious myths and fables?

OK, got it. Actually not surprised. Delusional people can't see their delusion. Hence the purpose of the delusion.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#152573 Feb 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
No.
I was talking about you.
So you freely and openly admit that you were talking about someone you know nothing about? Right, got it.

Par for course for the religious who believe in made up man made stories eh?

Religion teaches that faith is necessary for salvation. Faith is irrational, in fact it is belief in the absence of or contrary to evidence. Therefore:&#8232;religion teaches that irrationality is rewarded.
Imhotep

United States

#152574 Feb 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
The Topix atheist pattern of demonizing the more than overwhelming majority of the world's belief systems, their special knowledge and insight coupled with their need to proselytize, while doing that demonizing, along with logical thinking they present not of the caliber they advertise, their almost universal reading the same identical script in their talking points, and propensity to be obnoxious rather than reasoned and rational is downright unsettling. Perhaps it is the concentration of them on forums like this that magnifies the threat they are.
Weird.
I think I may indulge myself and have a nightmare where they take over the world.
Once the acid wears off, and your drug addled brain relaxes, God will bring another boost for you.

Say 1 our father, 29 Hail Marys, genuflect without passing gas, and you will receive a harvest!

Gods only trust atheists. We ignore them so they know we won't lie. In their estimation Lucifer already has us, so having rejected them, they find solace in listening to our advise.

We told the Catholics Galileo was correct.
Sadly, with the Christian diminished capacity to reason, it took a few 100 years for them to understand and agree.

Satan is Gods only 'creation' success, everything else died.

And for a real guffaw...

Near-Record High See Religion Losing Influence in America

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145409/Near-Record...
Imhotep

United States

#152575 Feb 8, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
A sudden little river crossd my path
As unexpected as a serpent comes.
No sluggish tide congenial to the glooms;
This, as it frothd by, might have been a bath
For the fiends glowing hoofto see the wrath
Of its black eddy bespate with flakes and spumes.
So petty yet so spiteful All along,
Low scrubby alders kneeld down over it;
Drenchd willows flung them headlong in a fit
Of mute despair, a suicidal throng:
The river which had done them all the wrong,
Whateer that was, rolld by, deterrd no whit.
~ Robert Browning
Pretty Good
The Osgood Files | 1986 | Charles Osgood

There once was a pretty good student

Who sat in a pretty good class

And was taught by a pretty good teacher

Who always let pretty good pass.

He wasnt terrific at reading,

He wasnt a whiz-bang at math,

But for him, education was leading

Straight down a pretty good path.

He didnt find school too exciting,

But he wanted to do pretty well,

And he did have some trouble with writing

Since nobody taught him to spell.

When doing arithmetic problems,

Pretty good was regarded as fine.

5+5 neednt always add up to be 10;

A pretty good answer was 9.

The pretty good class that he sat in

Was part of a pretty good school,

And the student was not an exception:

On the contrary, he was the rule.

The pretty good school that he went to

Was there in a pretty good town,

And nobody there seemed to notice

He could not tell a verb from a noun.

The pretty good student in fact was

Part of a pretty good mob.

And the first time he knew what he lacked was

When he looked for a pretty good job.

It was then, when he sought a position,

He discovered that life could be tough,

And he soon had a sneaking suspicion

Pretty good might not be good enough.

The pretty good town in our story

Was part of a pretty good state

Which had pretty good aspirations

And prayed for a pretty good fate.

There once was a pretty good nation

Pretty proud of the greatness it had,

Which learned much too late,

If you want to be great,

Pretty good is, in fact, pretty bad.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#152576 Feb 8, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Not much of an education you received I see. Not surprising Daffy after all the idiotic statements you have humiliated yourself with on here.
So next time you wish to discuss science or history you will be reminded Of your lack of education that is so atrocious you can't even state even basic knowledge of what the crusades are.
<quoted text>
Sadism.

Im asking this to be cruel but trying to understand why you are so malevolent. When you were a child did you torture animals?

Southern Illinois

#152577 Feb 8, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you avoid the places that prove how bad your cult really is. That makes sense given that you suffer from the mental illness of faith.
I'm an American a**hole. I dont care for Europe and neither did my ancestors. Thats why they left the damn place and came to America. Europe can deal with their own dismal history.

Southern Illinois

#152578 Feb 8, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I am honored to have this much power and control over you. Tell me Daffy you think the holocaust was the will of your dark Palestinian god because it helped reform the state of Israel yet you want to call others sadist?
You lie about Arabs going into your Dad's hospital room and converting him to believe in Allah. You said he was this brutal tyrant who crammed atheism down everyone's throat but later said he was a wonderful, sweet charming fellow who everyone adored. You think that a serpent and a homo erectus look alike.
Lol! Crazy old Daffy, always good for a laugh.
<quoted text>
If you have the funds to go the Philippines then you have the ability to go to a clinical physiologist and get treatment for sadism. You have mental anti social issues and treatment is available.

Southern Illinois

#152579 Feb 8, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I wonder how many hundreds of times you will repost this without a shred of reason why it is incorrect?
I know you are jealous but hey instead of making yourself look like a jackass go out and do some charity work yourself.
<quoted text>
Sadism.

Im not asking this to be cruel but trying to understand why you are so malevolent. When you were a child did you torture animals?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 33 min Thinking 22,103
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 1 hr Patrick 188
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 2 hr Patrick 42
Stump a theist with 2 questions 2 hr Patrick 18
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 5 hr TheHeadlines 70
Atheism 101: What's the most aggravating argume... 7 hr Patrick n Angela 3
The Ultimate Evidence of God Mon sriKim 120
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••