Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 257159 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152594 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
There’s a man hunt for a former LAPD officer that went rouge and killed a number of people because he was angry. Claiming that he was unjustly fired as an LAPD officer for turning in another police officer for brutality.
There are however legal ways one can regain their reputation and their job back. It’s called hiring a lawyer. Also available to him was the NAACP and their leadership. Another organization is the ACLU. The general population would also have stood with him in his fight for fairness.
But all that is lost now because he became judge, jury and executioner. I’m afraid this is not going to end good for this man for what he has done. He crossed the thin blue line of justice. Being terminated doesn’t give one the right to go on a killing spree. That’s why we have courts and lawyers.
All the good he may have done in his life has now been lost because of his uncontrolled temper. His family and the families of the people he killed are mourning this preventable event. Uncontrolled hate can lead to death of innocent people.
What does this have to do with this thread? A lot, because hate often manifest itself here on this thread. We are protected by anonymity to a degree. Emotions run high and so does the hate factor. I would urge you who are anti social and sadistic get professional help.
If Lt. Doner had done that perhaps he could have regained his job and back pay. All that is lost now and he is a hunted killer.
What a load of BS. Take your meds and go to bed like a good little boy. The grown ups are talking.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152595 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t see you as sadist.
You’re just an ordinary narcissistic sh*t head who openly practices religious bigotry and proud of it.
None of it you would do if we met in person. But because you are anonymous you feel more powerful. Sort of a cowardly approach you take my good friend.
I’m not criticizing you for being an Atheist. It’s your narcissism that stinks. It’s not my fault you have the Napoleon syndrome in addition to your narcissism.
You also need to brush up on your one liners, they lack any humor or meaning. Kinda bland like you are.
Mmeelltt ddoowwnn and only in a few minutes that must be a personal best, congratulations.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#152596 Feb 8, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Mmeelltt ddoowwnn and only in a few minutes that must be a personal best, congratulations.
I don’t dislike short or little people. I once worked for a man who stood no taller that 4 foot. He was an excellent supervisor.

You on the other hand have this power issue. Like your not tall enough. Man be content with who you are and stop trying to project power like your some type of Napoleon.

It comes down to confidence my man. A man confident in himself can only be 4 foot tall but look 7 feet tall in others eyes. I’m sorry you don’t come across as being very tall.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#152597 Feb 8, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for asking, I have been marking exams and assignments, rewriting coarse notes....
In short I have been doing an impersonation of a one armed paper hanger.
As for duck12, he is one of those great universal constants, stupidity never changes.
"In short," yep that's what I'm talking about, you being short.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#152598 Feb 8, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for asking, I have been marking exams and assignments, rewriting coarse notes....
In short I have been doing an impersonation of a one armed paper hanger.
As for duck12, he is one of those great universal constants, stupidity never changes.
"In short"

Short on humor,

Short on good recants,

Short on smart quips,

Short on interpersonal skills,

Short on respect,

Short in physical stature.

Just all around short.

Gimpy short.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152599 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t dislike short or little people. I once worked for a man who stood no taller that 4 foot. He was an excellent supervisor.
You on the other hand have this power issue. Like your not tall enough. Man be content with who you are and stop trying to project power like your some type of Napoleon.
It comes down to confidence my man. A man confident in himself can only be 4 foot tall but look 7 feet tall in others eyes. I’m sorry you don’t come across as being very tall.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"In short"
Short on humor,
Short on good recants,
Short on smart quips,
Short on respect,
Just all around short.
Gimpy short.
Make up your mind, am I tall or short?

Oh! that's right you have one, mind that is.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#152600 Feb 8, 2013
Oh! and by the way Napoleon was short.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#152601 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
There’s a man hunt for a former LAPD officer that went rouge and killed a number of people because he was angry. Claiming that he was unjustly fired as an LAPD officer for turning in another police officer for brutality.
There are however legal ways one can regain their reputation and their job back. It’s called hiring a lawyer. Also available to him was the NAACP and their leadership. Another organization is the ACLU. The general population would also have stood with him in his fight for fairness.
But all that is lost now because he became judge, jury and executioner. I’m afraid this is not going to end good for this man for what he has done. He crossed the thin blue line of justice. Being terminated doesn’t give one the right to go on a killing spree. That’s why we have courts and lawyers.
All the good he may have done in his life has now been lost because of his uncontrolled temper. His family and the families of the people he killed are mourning this preventable event. Uncontrolled hate can lead to death of innocent people.
What does this have to do with this thread? A lot, because hate often manifest itself here on this thread. We are protected by anonymity to a degree. Emotions run high and so does the hate factor. I would urge you who are anti social and sadistic get professional help.
If Lt. Doner had done that perhaps he could have regained his job and back pay. All that is lost now and he is a hunted killer.
All the good he did is lost?

This ain't Gotham City.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#152602 Feb 8, 2013
Senile Dave is a bit cantankerous tonight yes? Someone call the nurse he may be in need of a diaper change.
Dave Nelson wrote:
The irrationality exhibited by these Topix atheist regarding the definition of atheist is the real indicator of their mental state. They refute long established definitions. There appears to be some kneejerk reaction to being judged or classified in some group, though they don't hesitate to do it to everyone that disagrees with them, which is another telling point. If you don't agree with them exactly, then you are lumped into one great big group oppressing them.
There are some serious mental issues among them. The scary part is they are empowered to vote and determine the destiny of man, while their issues can be manipulated by others with axes to grind.

Scottsburg, IN

#152603 Feb 8, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner! Scaritual you have just won the Internet!
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> There are two of you?
You should let Sane post more often.

Scottsburg, IN

#152604 Feb 8, 2013
To make it worse he can't even come up with his own lie, he just copies and pastes the same nonsense Derek posted before over and over again, which makes him even more pathetic. Actually you will notice he must have a folder of a few posts he always copies and pastes from because many of his posts are just copy an pastes that have already been posted dozens of times before.

Actually that is an abusive waste of bandwidth and should be reported from now on.
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
The way in which the theist continually asserts that view goes beyond ignorance. I hesitate to accuse people of lying in general, as a matter of fact you can search my posts and you'll see I almost never use the word, even in an unrelated to an individual - sense.
But on this issue and in the way the word is purposefully and wrongly defined, I have to think they are intentionally lying.
I notice they rarely supply complete definitions, but that's to be expected, since most are incomplete in the religion they claim to follow, too.

Scottsburg, IN

#152605 Feb 8, 2013
Certainly not but it seems you are confessing what you did as a child.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadism.
I’m asking this to be cruel but trying to understand why you are so malevolent. When you were a child did you torture animals?

Scottsburg, IN

#152606 Feb 8, 2013
Yes we often see Daffy hen getting humiliated on the facts go on these bizarre off topic temper tantrums in a desperate attempt to change the subject. It is his defense mechanism I suppose.

Don't worry Daffy when you finish with your sadism rant we will still be reminding you about your lies as we are doing during your rant.

Isn't that wonderful? You're welcome.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t see you as sadist.
You’re just an ordinary narcissistic sh*t head who openly practices religious bigotry and proud of it.
None of it you would do if we met in person. But because you are anonymous you feel more powerful. Sort of a cowardly approach you take my good friend.
I’m not criticizing you for being an Atheist. It’s your narcissism that stinks. It’s not my fault you have the Napoleon syndrome in addition to your narcissism.
You also need to brush up on your one liners, they lack any humor or meaning. Kinda bland like you are.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#152607 Feb 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"In short"
Short on humor,
Short on good recants,
Short on smart quips,
Short on respect,
Just all around short.
Gimpy short.
You may find solace in the fact that you are so short on proof of god, that you are practically invisible.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#152608 Feb 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
Ok so quoting Merriam-Webster is a lie? LOL. You'll have to do better then that.
Dictionaries are fantastic tools, as long as you know how to use them. I won't be exampling the words - "religion" or "faith" - since they do not apply to atheism, as you'll see.

I'm going to look at the word meaning for - atheism - since that's what is in dispute here. I'll be using the Merriam-Webster definitions, too, like you did, no?

Let's look....

Definition of ATHEISM
1 archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Origin of ATHEISM
Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a-+ theos god
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ath...

You said you used Merriam-Webster for the definitions you supplied? This is what you supplied.

Langoliers wrote: Atheism
Belief that there is no Deity or Deities.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Imagine that. The definition you supplied, and that you said came from Merriam-Webster doesn't match. Let's look at this word from Merriam Webster.

You might be unaware of what it means.

Definition of DECEITFUL
: having a tendency or disposition to deceive:
a : not honest <a deceitful child>
b : deceptive, misleading <deceitful advertising>

Synonyms: crooked, fraudulent, defrauding, dishonest, double-dealing, false

^^^ That^^^ is^^^what^^^deceitful^^^means^ ^^.

Anyway, let's continue. Did you notice that the word from Merriam-Webster used the word - disbelief - in defining atheism? Disbelief is key to understanding what atheism means, and is used in defining atheism in Merriam-Webster for obvious reasons. We should look at that word in more depth.

Definition of DISBELIEF
: the act of disbelieving : mental rejection of something as untrue

Examples of DISBELIEF
She stared at him in utter disbelief.
<their story explaining their absence was met with frank disbelief>

Synonyms: incredulity, nonbelief, unbelief

Related Words: discredit, distrust, doubt, mistrust, skepticism, suspicion, uncertainty; denial, rejection, repudiation, unfaith
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dis...

Notice it uses "nonbelief" and "unbelief" as synonyms, and also related words are "rejection" and "unfaith". Huh ... nonbelief and unfaith are related to - disbelief. That rules out religion or faith being a component of - atheism.

I figured we should probably look at the root meaning for the prefix - dis. This will clarify - disbelief - even further, and, what the fnck, I've got 4000 characters to burn here.

Plus, you said :
Langoliers wrote:
LOL. You'll have to do better then that.
*Then*, I guess I must, yes?

Continuing.

dis-/ not, not any / disbelief, discomfort, discredit, disrepair, disrespect
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0907036.html
^^^Look^^^ at^^^ that^^^.

It means - not, not any. So, when you combine the prefix "dis", with "belief", you get, in an actual meaning, not metaphorical, allegorical, simile or parable.....

...NOT - BELIEF, NOT ANY - BELIEF.

BTW the root meaning for "a" is not, without.

So, atheism means - NOT THEISM, WITHOUT THEISM.

One last definition from Merriam-Webster - the dictionary that you prefer.
http://tinyurl.com/6f8ghk
I think it and "deceitful" applies to you in this instance.

Using Merriam-Webster to define the word, it's clear - atheism - isn't a belief, faith, or religion.

Scottsburg, IN

#152609 Feb 9, 2013
You know Daffy I have a great idea for you and Dave.

How about instead of complaining and calling atheists rude,sadists or whatever bumbling you muster, you instead come up with better arguments? Oh and an effort to not always make a jackass out of yourself might help as well.

For all you two complain about us you sure can't get enough of us so hey step up your game eh?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
bigtruths

Howell, MI

#152610 Feb 9, 2013
i no longer have actual faith in my religion I believe it like the guy who wrongly asked god to give him powers simon..

because I have physical tangible reproducible proof..

prayer doesn't work but doing stuff to or for people that way God prolongs your life span to fulfill his prophecies is a complete reality..

prayer was never meant to work the bible said do not pray because God already knows what you want..
bigtruths

Howell, MI

#152611 Feb 9, 2013
if something bad happens prayer should not work because he already answered it from it happening in the first place..
bigtruths

Howell, MI

#152612 Feb 9, 2013
god is blackmailable through actions..

chess for instance blackmails god into prolonging your life span until you checkmate someone..

which is what the catholics used to take other people over in the name of their religion..

which was against their religion but since they blackmailed god with chess games it ain't matter..
bigtruths

Howell, MI

#152613 Feb 9, 2013
if it's not true then i renounce my faith because it's been reporduceable and true..

but it is true..

i'm worse than peter popoff because my miracles actually work..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr karl44 21,423
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 7 hr ATHEOI 397
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 8 hr Eagle 12 10,374
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 10 hr par five 451
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 10 hr River Tam 20,327
News A Strong Muslim Identity Is the Best Defense Ag... 12 hr Romantic Romeo 17
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 14 hr ChristineM 557
More from around the web