Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
146,261 - 146,280 of 226,397 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#152237 Feb 7, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
This sounds like psuedoscience of the highest order.
Yep, my thoughts too.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#152238 Feb 7, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
No witnesses, no people that saw Jesus and witnessed His Resurrection, no Christianity.
There is a LONG list of people who used to write in those days who NEVER mentioned jesus. Why would they write about someone that wasn't there?

For example; Philo Judaeus wrote very many books about Jewish religion and history, living in Alexandria, and visiting Jerusalem. Philo visited Jerusalem and had family there, he was considered a Christian by later Christians, and he wrote a great deal about related times and peoples and issues.

If Jesus had existed, Philo would certainly have written about him and his teachings. But he never mentions jesus.

Many examples like this.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#152239 Feb 7, 2013
The_Box wrote:
You can use the Great Pyramid as an example.
I'm not sure if this is what you guys are talking about but I did read recently that they discovered one of the pyramids as being perfectly capable of producing hydrogen and that it wasn't a place where people were buried but instead a primitive machine.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#152240 Feb 7, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
You're going to need to show me both that they had knowledge of this process and that the process actually does anything relevant.
This sounds like psuedoscience of the highest order. I'd appreciate any scholarly link on this topic.
Another misconception on your part. I don't need to do anything to show you.

I have duplicated this process using modern materials and methods. I have been loathe to do it again as I can not predict the ultimate effects. All independent of any religious aspect. Pure scientific experimentation.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#152241 Feb 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>The same way you do with wires and semiconductors. Mass, gravity, and charge. It's macroelectronics, if you will.

The Great Pyramid, as the other pyramids, is a reverse, though. They were designed as a return to the sun and heavens. They drain charge buildups. One reason they buried Pharoahs in them. They become relatively static and timeless.

Again, you refer to them as monuments, something symbolic, not as machines doing a process. You are a machine doing a process.
You are an idiot sniffing too many fart bubbles.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#152242 Feb 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Another misconception on your part. I don't need to do anything to show you.
I have duplicated this process using modern materials and methods. I have been loathe to do it again as I can not predict the ultimate effects. All independent of any religious aspect. Pure scientific experimentation.
Why can't I find any information about pyramids being conduits for telleric energy on any scientific sites? The only sites which mention this are "new age" and pseudoscience sites.

Location hidden

#152243 Feb 7, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Why can't I find any information about pyramids being conduits for telleric energy on any scientific sites? The only sites which mention this are "new age" and pseudoscience sites.
Don't bother yourself about it. Just sit in your pew and listen to "The Truth" dispensed from the pulpit. Admire the brilliant priest in his lab coat and know he understands the mysteries better than you. Especially since he uses such impressive words, phrases, and references to the discoveries of other men, the Saints of science.

Don't worry, be happy.

Location hidden

#152244 Feb 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't bother yourself about it. Just sit in your pew and listen to "The Truth" dispensed from the pulpit.
You've done a great job of describing yourself. Hey, I read some garbage online. There's no scientific support behind it, but WHATEVER. Everyone who doesn't listen to my quackery is a sheep.

Location hidden

#152245 Feb 7, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, in my zeal to save your soul and peace of mind I forgot one thing to consider.

Telluric currents, magnetism? The stuff produced here locally on earth?

Voyager has a 23 watt radio transmitter. That is the energy of one of the brighter curly cue lamp bulbs. Voyager is a long ways away, but we still can pick up the signal. It could still pick up the signal from us.

Oh, no, no, there is no way local fluctuations in the earth's magnetic signature can possibly affect us. Impossible. Insignificant perturbations. Ask Polymath, or Bit Twiddler if he is still around. Brilliant students of physics. They are hot on the trail of how many infinite universes can exist in an infinitely small singularity, and how many virtual particles might or might not pop in an out.

Location hidden

#152246 Feb 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, in my zeal to save your soul and peace of mind I forgot one thing to consider.
Telluric currents, magnetism? The stuff produced here locally on earth?
You have yet to show one measurable effect caused by ancient monuments or evidence that said ancients knew of the effect.

You have yet to produce one scientific article on the matter at all.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#152247 Feb 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't bother yourself about it. Just sit in your pew and listen to "The Truth" dispensed from the pulpit.
Just think about the breathtaking irony here folks, he's using a religious analogy to criticise science, thinking he's defending religion.

Marvellous.. Simply Marvellous...

Location hidden

#152248 Feb 7, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
You've done a great job of describing yourself. Hey, I read some garbage online. There's no scientific support behind it, but WHATEVER. Everyone who doesn't listen to my quackery is a sheep.
Every bit of my theorizing is home grown.

And based upon actual physical processes.

Location hidden

#152249 Feb 7, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Just think about the breathtaking irony here folks, he's using a religious analogy to criticise science, thinking he's defending religion.
Marvellous.. Simply Marvellous...
You are in error using the term "think" in reference to your group. Use something like "emote". And be more definitive. Something like "Folks, emote about the breathtaking irony..".

Location hidden

#152250 Feb 7, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
You have yet to show one measurable effect caused by ancient monuments or evidence that said ancients knew of the effect.
You have yet to produce one scientific article on the matter at all.
"Sacred geometry".

Designed to fit geometric and astronomic conditions.

Masons.

Dragon current. Qi. Buildings that were "abominations upon the land". Ley lines.

Been around a long time.

Location hidden

#152251 Feb 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Every bit of my theorizing is home grown.
And based upon actual physical processes.
So what distinguishes it from "something you made up entirely"?

Location hidden

#152252 Feb 7, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
So what distinguishes it from "something you made up entirely"?
They physically exist.

Location hidden

#152253 Feb 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Sacred geometry".
Designed to fit geometric and astronomic conditions.
Masons.
Dragon current. Qi. Buildings that were "abominations upon the land". Ley lines.
Been around a long time.
Yes, quackery has been around a long time. Always has trouble when faced with actual scientific scrutiny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line

Location hidden

#152254 Feb 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
They physically exist.
I'm talking about the effects you are claiming.

I could say I developed a method whereby eggs can 'block' gravity and float indefinitely. Both eggs and gravity exist, but that is not support for my claim.

Location hidden

#152255 Feb 7, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, quackery has been around a long time. Always has trouble when faced with actual scientific scrutiny.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line
Keep the faith, baby.

Location hidden

#152256 Feb 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep the faith, baby.
That seems to be your motto. Idea debunked? Keep believing it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 1 hr religionislies 58
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Mikko 21,506
The Ultimate Evidence of God 7 hr CunningLinguist 65
The myth of the angry atheist 14 hr _Bad Company 1
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 16 hr Patrick 7
100% Faith Free 16 hr CunningLinguist 14
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 17 hr CunningLinguist 39
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••