Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243483 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Turkey

Oswego, NY

#152109 Feb 6, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Carrion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =r4yWcFsItN0XX
You're very astute. Maybe someday I could paint for you with my deft brush.

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#152110 Feb 6, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_shape.h...
“We now know (as of 2013) that the universe is flat with only a 0.4% margin of error. This suggests that the Universe is infinite in extent; however, since the Universe has a finite age, we can only observe a finite volume of the Universe. All we can truly conclude is that the Universe is much larger than the volume we can directly observe.”
Not a paradox, Einstein’s formulas predict it, objects change in position relative to the space-time grid. The speed of light is a constraint for objects that exist within space-time, not for space-time itself.
So not paradoxical
The other is related and can be calculated by the Hubble constant at around 71MPS. The expansion of the universe predicts that objects over 4200MPS away will be moving faster than the speed of light.
Again not paradoxical
As I have shown you by offering the definition that a paradox is self contradictory statement. And therefore I will repeat, just because the beginning of the universe is not understood does not make it self contradictory, it just means it’s not understood (yet).
As to the uncertainty principal, Schroeder's cat, one theoretical, the other an example to explain the uncertainty principal on the quantum level. And why is the higgs field a paradox? Elusive, true, paradoxical, nope it has been predicted for years
Then we agree to disagree, that's ok though because most all cosmologists and theoretical physicists do.
Never in history have all of them agreed on anything.lol

“Fear is the Mind-Killer”

Since: Jun 08

Albuquerque, NM

#152111 Feb 6, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist believe in the very beginning RNA and DNA self assembled into complex organism. From that self assembly all life spawned into what it is today.
For RNA and DNA to self assemble would be the equivalent of fine sports car like the Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS building itself.
Atheist believe this without any scientific proof complex life forms can derive out of sterile lifeless material and self construct. That my friend takes a hell of a lot of faith.
If you think this is bad, you should see how they then contradict themselves in sociology by suggesting that all-powerful states can better run our lives than the evolution of society can.

:)

They only believe in evolution when it suits their cause. But when it goes against their secular humanism, as it actual does, then their tune changes.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#152112 Feb 6, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
But that is not true of Christianity, which depends upon factual claims, not beliefs accepted without challenge.
It's completely true of Christianity. Every important aspect of Christianity is taken purely on faith, in SPITE of facts.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
Early Christianity was rigorously denounced and debated by the best atheists and intellectuals of their time. Not only did they fail, many converted and became saints and champions of the faith.
Oh, please. What intellectual arguments did they make to convert these "atheists"?
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
From that constant defense of Christianity over the century EMERGED the present scientific method. It is a direct result of it, refined over centuries, and perfected.
Tell me what aspects of Christianity were subjected to the scientific method.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
Which is why anything is believed, is it not? Because we are persuaded by sound arguments, by evidence, by rational thought.
Christians reject the evidence and rational thought in favor of faith.
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
Be it so, Christianity cannot be divorced from science as matter of theology. Either Jesus was who he said He was, or he was vile, despicable liar.
Or he was a little crazy. Or the Gospels are not accurate portrayals of what Jesus said. Or the Gospels are largely legendary. Or the Gospels are mythological.

Every one of these things is far more likely that Jesus being a god.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#152113 Feb 6, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Mine was "W" the story of George Bush.
Well perhaps there were others that could have done a better job but they weren’t voted in by the people.

I know people hated our former president. He was not without mistakes. I don’t think his administration authorized selling automatic assault weapons to the Mexican Drug Cartels.

Nor did his administration claim a terrorist action on 911 was over a protest of someone’s book.

He did take us back into Iraq and perhaps we shouldn’t have gone there. A big mistake because Saddam sort of was a deterrent to Iran. They didn’t seem to get along. Saddam was an idiot and didn’t help his cause pretending to have weapons of mass destruction.

But I give credit to our current President. He did get Bin Laden and he has done a good job of exterminating these terrorist when he can find them. But he failed to protect our ambassador in Libya.

Anyway you don’t have to worry about President Bush.

“Rising”

Milky Way

#152114 Feb 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing, the illusion you have thinking you have a grasp on the reality of it all.
Numbers are not a substitute for a deity or other higher level of existence. They are inventions of man. You just have no idea how contrived that theoretical physics of yours is.
The number of the Beast is that of a man.
Numbers just can't quantify all that there is, so you can never really get the grasp of it all.
But you are still cute. <Smooch>
You actually could be closer to the truth than ever before, minus the beast crap. But the paradox is there , like it (believe it)...or not.
Turkey

Oswego, NY

#152115 Feb 6, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Forget it. They don't take food stamps.
You have great schtick.

“Rising”

Milky Way

#152116 Feb 6, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, look who is still on Topix with nothing better to do. I go looking around too see what is new after several months, and low and behold is the same, old, tired atheist on the prowl, with the usual disconnect to history and the facts.
Yes, it is hard on Americans, to watch secularization, now unchecked and running rampent for at least 150 years, transform all of the West into pathetic nations of girly men and poor intellects.
But, alas, this is the pattern of all civilizations. Secularization of Rome and Greece were disasters as well, leaving Jews and Christians to rebuild civilization, yet again.
Nothing to worry about. We have survived your kind before, and will survive you for many centuries to come. Atheism cannot hold back real progress and science, or the Jews and Christians that brought it.
What mystifies me is how you lie on Topix with allegedly a straight face, having once admitted that it serves the secular movement well to pretend that science did not emerge from us, but from secular thought.
Do you still promote that lie?
Magnetic string theory?

http://news.discovery.com/space/on-the-trail-...
Turkey

Oswego, NY

#152117 Feb 6, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for sharing your myth.
Myth enthusiasts will find this magical site a 'wonder to behold'.
http://www.godchecker.com/
Mythology Encyclopedia features over 3,700 weird and wonderful Supreme Beings, Demons, Spirits and Fabulous Beasts from all over the world.
Explore ancient legends and folklore, and discover Gods of everything from Fertility to Fluff!
;)
There is a "most high God" who will be known. All in good time my jackass.

“Rising”

Milky Way

#152118 Feb 6, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I did too, this one doesn't feel like me!
dw, i'm gonna change this one again.

Albuquerque, NM

#152119 Feb 6, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't agree that religion came to teach us about the material world, we have eyes and ears to do that ourselves.
No, true Hinduism believes that spirituality is the only way to understanding and then becoming one with the 1. We do not believe this is a competition between religions, u can follow different rituals, but your path and goal must be the same, there is only 1 way to God, that's it! Try to do good and try not to do bad. We call it dharma, anyone who follows dharma, they can be from any religion, but they are the only ones who will obtain God. this is a passage from the sikh scriptures, it might help u understand;
Of all religions, the best religion is to chant the Name of the Lord and maintain pure conduct. Of all religious rituals, the most sublime ritual is to erase the filth of the dirty mind in the Company of the Holy. Of all efforts, the best effort is to chant the Name of the Lord in the heart, forever. Of all speech, the most ambrosial speech is to hear the Lord's Praise and chant it with the tongue. Of all places, the most sublime place, O Nanak, is that heart in which the Name of the Lord abides.||8||3||(Ang 266)
chanting the name of God is not just saying his name over and over again, it has a deep meaning. His name is truth!
Our religions respect other people's belief. We think we are all the chosen people, the human species as a whole, their is no special race or religion, but i know u think different from us.
No, the scriptures talk about the cast system, it's very old, near the time of Krishna, so about 4000 or 5000 years? maybe..i'm guessing now.
I understand what u r trying to say about angels but that is christian philosophy not ours. Shiva is not an angel, he is more like a characteristic of God.
Let me tell u this...Islam/British empire destroyed India in every way! It did no good, NEVER!
No, sati has something to do with Shiva and all that sh*t, it got nothing to do with Islam. After the Husband died, greedy family did not want to give anything to the wife, so they had her burnt alive! It was a way of controlling women. It's too deep to go into.
Mm,

Well, your Hindu culture is rather large and diversified, the bit about the Sati was a Hindu claim from someone else, but I don't remember the details.

In one way, you actual describe what Judaism, or the Israelites believed before Christ. That all people had to life rightly to and follow the conscience. Or as we say, God's laws are written on our hearts, so even the pre-Christian had only one way to God, exactly as you stated. That was the universal way.

But that changed with Jesus in our faith, now He is the only way, because the old way was not working, and mankind was sinning to much for the way you described to work. So He came up with a new plan, His Church. Does this not differ from your religion, that God came to us to save us, that God paved the way to heaven?

You stated this: "Our religions respect other people's belief. We think we are all the chosen people, the human species as a whole, their is no special race or religion, but i know u think different from us."

That my friend is very offensive, we do not think any differently at all. Race has never played a role in Christianity, but many, like some British, perverted it to be racial. We also respect all cultures, and do not destroy them as the Muslims do. Armenia to this day still practices old pagan rituals with the understanding that it is cultural, not religious now. Halloween is pagan, but still practiced in respect to the old ways.

And I know Catholics in India adapt many Hindu beliefs and culture as well, bringing the new way to God, while retaining the wonderful cultures of all peoples and races.

Albuquerque, NM

#152120 Feb 6, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
It's completely true of Christianity. Every important aspect of Christianity is taken purely on faith, in SPITE of facts.
<quoted text>
Oh, please. What intellectual arguments did they make to convert these "atheists"?
<quoted text>
Tell me what aspects of Christianity were subjected to the scientific method.
<quoted text>
Christians reject the evidence and rational thought in favor of faith.
<quoted text>
Or he was a little crazy. Or the Gospels are not accurate portrayals of what Jesus said. Or the Gospels are largely legendary. Or the Gospels are mythological.
Every one of these things is far more likely that Jesus being a god.
I just described in detail why you are wrong on this count, and you just repeat the same thing.

Christianity is worthless without science and rational thought. Period. If that is news to you, it is because you never understood it to begin with, or have too much assumptions to change your mind at this point.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#152121 Feb 6, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist believe in the very beginning RNA and DNA self assembled into complex organism. From that self assembly all life spawned into what it is today.
For RNA and DNA to self assemble would be the equivalent of fine sports car like the Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS building itself.
Atheist believe this without any scientific proof complex life forms can derive out of sterile lifeless material and self construct. That my friend takes a hell of a lot of faith.
I dunno if your term "believe" is quite accurate.

But we're getting closer, eh?
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharps...
Turkey

Oswego, NY

#152122 Feb 6, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Eat a bar of soap!
well, I do consume lots of ginger, ms. hatheist

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#152123 Feb 6, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, it's just a song.
I'm a very good swimmer and I will definitely save you.
One more stanza. All together now:
Broke the record under water
I thought she was doin' fine
I wasn't nervous until the service
That they held for Clementine
LOL, thanks, but sorry if i push your head under the water and try to drown u! It happens, when u panic!!

I'm singin', quickly put tape on the windows!!!! I saw it in a film, it must work.

Where's Tide? I wanna tell him about a film.
Turkey

Oswego, NY

#152124 Feb 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol!
Good one.
Oh wait...
You were being serious, weren't you.
Domestic fowl can be very serious. Now ask Dave for forgiveness.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#152125 Feb 6, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
I just described in detail why you are wrong on this count, and you just repeat the same thing.
You gave not a SINGLE detail.

- What arguments did they make to convert "atheists"?
- What claims were subjected to the scientific method?

You give no response to the numerous explanations that are all superior to "Jesus is a god".
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
Christianity is worthless without science and rational thought.
Christianity involves neither. You haven't been able to provide a single example to the contrary.
Turkey

Oswego, NY

#152126 Feb 6, 2013
madscot wrote:
Are you another angry young man? Eat some shrimp and check on your wifes whereabouts.
Turkey

Oswego, NY

#152127 Feb 6, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Turkey: "Gobble gobble"
Have you considered an asian girl?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#152128 Feb 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You actually could be closer to the truth than ever before, minus the beast crap. But the paradox is there , like it (believe it)...or not.
A beast is a creature without higher thought. It exists in the here and now only.

Numbers have been worshiped for a long time. You have the Kabbalah, theologians once pondered how many angels on the head of a pin, and now you have theoretical physicists counting universes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 24 min ChristineM 9,468
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 3 hr TC_Tia 14,656
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr MikeF 19,806
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) Sun thetruth 6,221
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... Sat Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Sat thetruth 38
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) Sat knight of Jesus 521
More from around the web