Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#152139 Feb 6, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
That my friend takes a hell of a lot of faith.
Nice try but not necessarily true. Faith is not one thing. There is all kinds of faith. The kind that of faith that religious people use is NOT the same kind as a atheist would use.

Location hidden

#152140 Feb 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists always want an authority figure to tell them what is right and true. As long as they are humans. No ability to think on their own.
Topix religious people always want some book to tell them what is right and true. As long as they are religious. No ability to think on their own.

Location hidden

#152141 Feb 6, 2013
Clementia wrote:
TIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE, WHERE R U?????? IF U CAN HEEEEAAR MEEEEEEE, GIVE ME A SIIIIGN, ANYYYYYTHIIIING!!!!
Shhhhh! You'll wake the neighbors...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#152142 Feb 6, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Few have reached this Coleridge level in literature.
OK:
The stag at eve had drunk his fill,
Where danced the moon on Monan's rill,
And deep his midnight lair had made
In lone Glenartney's hazel shade;
But when the sun his beacon red
Had kindled on Benvoirlich's head,
The deep-mouthed bloodhound's heavy bay
Resounded up the rocky way,
And faint, from farther distance borne,
Were heard the clanging hoof and horn.
As Chief, who hears his warder call,
'To arms! the foemen storm the wall,'
The antlered monarch of the waste
Sprung from his heathery couch in haste.
But ere his fleet career he took,
The dew-drops from his flanks he shook;
Like crested leader proud and high
Tossed his beamed frontlet to the sky;
A moment gazed adown the dale,
A moment snuffed the tainted gale,
A moment listened to the cry,
That thickened as the chase drew nigh;
Then, as the headmost foes appeared,
With one brave bound the copse he cleared,
And, stretching forward free and far,
Sought the wild heaths of Uam-Var.
Oh, dear.

"Do you ask what the birds say? The sparrow, the dove,
The linnet, and thrush say,'I love and I love!'
In the winter they're silent, the wind is so strong;
What it says I don't know, but it sings a loud song.
But green leaves and blossoms, and sunny warm weather,
And singing, and loving, all come back together.
Then the lark is so brimful of gladness and love,
The green fields below him, the blue sky above,
That he sings, and he sings, and forever sings he--
'I love my Love, and my Love loves me!'

Location hidden

#152143 Feb 6, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Dude, can't you see I'm trying to impress Clementine?
That reminds me, I need to buy oranges....
Thinking

Uckfield, UK

#152144 Feb 6, 2013
The total weight of termites alone is more than humanity.
StreetWave wrote:
Humanity may be but a small part of a greater arena of life. And our unique expressions of goodness creativity and spirit would seem valuable even in a vast spectrum of intelligent expressions. It is time to look again at the meaning of God in light of a universe teaming with life. A more complete understanding could only strengthen my value for creation and for the Creator.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#152145 Feb 6, 2013
For anyone that wants an intelligent and noninflammatory argument for atheism or to just better understand how natural selection could even work without "a prime mover" (a god, or some greater force, etc), check out Richard Dawkins "The Blind Watchmaker". For those more interested in a science minded skeptic's view of religion, check out "The God Delusion". If you have great faith, it's always a good idea to take a look and see what the other side thinks and where they come from so you can better discuss your ideas with those who are opposed.

I'd advise to avoid Christopher Hitchens' work. He's more grounded in insult and mockery than any leveled logic or reason.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#152146 Feb 6, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Shhhhh! You'll wake the neighbors...
SORRY..i mean, sorry!

Location hidden

#152147 Feb 6, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>That reminds me, I need to buy oranges....
What, for me? Aww thanks, who told u i love oranges?

Coz u thought of me, i'm gonna think of u and get u some carrots!:-)
Thinking

Uckfield, UK

#152148 Feb 6, 2013
I'm going to see Hardeep Singh Kohli cook us Sunday lunch in the not too distant future. Pink turbans rule!
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I'll trying shouting out for him.
TIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE, WHERE R U?????? IF U CAN HEEEEAAR MEEEEEEE, GIVE ME A SIIIIGN, ANYYYYYTHIIIING!!!!
Imhotep

United States

#152149 Feb 6, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m positive that prayer works. I can’t share the testimonies with you because you would think that I was making it all up so I will spare you from hearing them. Yes, I’m certain prayer works.
God doesn’t answer every prayer as I would like but there are reasons why. You mentioned the Jews in the death camps. The atrocities against the Jews resulted in a new nation being born. That nation is Israel, created in 1948.
If it weren’t for the Holocaust there would be no Israel today. It took something so horrible to bring the majority of the world together to fulfill bible prophecy. Isaiah 11:12
I believe in medical care and modern medicine. Jesus never criticized medicine or Doctors. There comes a time when medicine can do no more. Then it’s time to take up a prayer before the King of Kings.
Prayer can not only be used for healing but for well being such as jobs and blessings. Your missing out my friend but that’s your choice.
Missing out? What is there to miss?

Why are you attracted to atheists?

We have nothing to offer ' true believers'.
We do not share common myths worshiped the world over.

I think this is your personal need to believe, to surrender your scepticism, your reason, and your willingness to discard the true origins of religions... in order to put all your trust or faith in someone or something based entirely on superstition.

I find this odd, especially in the Information Age!
I reject any 'faith' that contradicts scientific fact, that outrages reason and common sense.

;)

Location hidden

#152150 Feb 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I'm going to see Hardeep Singh Kohli cook us Sunday lunch in the not too distant future. Pink turbans rule!
<quoted text>
I use to like him, before i found out he was a DIRTY PERV!

i hated it when he came on the big question, he clearly has no knowledge on his religion, but he acts like he represents us, when he doesn't, he represents dirty pervs!

He can cook? u sure u wanna eat from his hands? u don't know where they have been!

Pink everything rules!

Do u watch Eastenders?
Imhotep

United States

#152151 Feb 6, 2013
Turkey wrote:
<quoted text> There is a "most high God" who will be known. All in good time my jackass.
You have defined yourself as vulgar, insulting, with a limited capacity to engage in intelligent discourse .

You offer no cohesion of thought.
No opposing documented view.

What's next? "Nanny nanny boo boo"?
;)

Yawn

Location hidden

#152152 Feb 6, 2013
Clementia wrote:
What, for me? Aww thanks, who told u i love oranges?
Did you know that Clementines are small and very tasty oranges? I'm addicted to them.

http://localfoods.about.com/od/orangestangeri...
Thinking

Uckfield, UK

#152153 Feb 6, 2013
I'm sorry to admit that I'm a lapsed East Enderer. Last time I saw Eastern Block Benders was when Alfie couldn't get a condom to do Kat. Social anathema?
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I use to like him, before i found out he was a DIRTY PERV!
i hated it when he came on the big question, he clearly has no knowledge on his religion, but he acts like he represents us, when he doesn't, he represents dirty pervs!
He can cook? u sure u wanna eat from his hands? u don't know where they have been!
Pink everything rules!
Do u watch Eastenders?
bohart

White Pine, TN

#152154 Feb 6, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you,:)
My favorite monster movie of all time was “Frankenstein.”
The 1931 version with Boris Karloff. Man that was one hell of a scary movie for a kid to watch. That was a time in which they knew how to make a good movie.
“The first appearance and unveiling of the Monster - bringing him into the light of enlightenment - is truly memorable. The door slowly swings open, revealing a dark, lumpish silhouette in the doorway in a full figure shot. The bulky figure lurches clumsily into the room with halting steps, gradually revealing a bulky head and broad back - the Monster awkwardly moves into the room by backing in! The hulking Monster then slowly turns around, and then provides a shadowy profile in our first chilling close-up look of his blankly expressionless, tabula rasa face - a jagged surgical scar around the jaw appears. There is also a prominent spike that gleams into view on the side of the figure's neck. A series of camera jump cuts provide increasingly tighter close-ups of the hideous visage of the cadaverous creature.”
“The Frankenstein Monster (Boris Karloff) is a startling, grotesque, and gruesome figure, about seven feet tall with broad shoulders. The creation is more Monster than man. The monstrous face is placid, gaunt and elongated. The creature has a square-shaped head with boxy forehead, hooded eyelids over deep-set sunken eyes, neck-spikes or bolts to serve as electrical connectors on his neck, jagged surgical scars, and a matted wig. The Monster wears a dark suit and thick, heavy boots, causing him to walk with an awkward, stiff-legged, crude gait. His long arms seem enormous because the coat sleeves are shortened.”
http://www.filmsite.org/fran3.html
Still a classic, hey , the evolutionists, did they get their theories from the Frankenstein movie? that all you have to do is hit dead matter with a lightning bolt to make it alive?
Imhotep

United States

#152155 Feb 6, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m positive that prayer works. I can’t share the testimonies with you because you would think that I was making it all up so I will spare you from hearing them. Yes, I’m certain prayer works.
God doesn’t answer every prayer as I would like but there are reasons why. You mentioned the Jews in the death camps. The atrocities against the Jews resulted in a new nation being born. That nation is Israel, created in 1948.
If it weren’t for the Holocaust there would be no Israel today. It took something so horrible to bring the majority of the world together to fulfill bible prophecy. Isaiah 11:12
I believe in medical care and modern medicine. Jesus never criticized medicine or Doctors. There comes a time when medicine can do no more. Then it’s time to take up a prayer before the King of Kings.
Prayer can not only be used for healing but for well being such as jobs and blessings. Your missing out my friend but that’s your choice.
This poignant video applies to your god also.
If you have any "heart" this will prove emotional.
I double dog dare you to watch. ;)

Then comment with your opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/6kIu3Mb5KuE...
Turkey

Oswego, NY

#152156 Feb 6, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
You have defined yourself as vulgar, insulting, with a limited capacity to engage in intelligent discourse .
You offer no cohesion of thought.
No opposing documented view.
What's next? "Nanny nanny boo boo"?
;)
Yawn
you're just another pompous fool. Get a real job misfit.
Turkey

Oswego, NY

#152157 Feb 6, 2013
StreetWave wrote:
Humanity may be but a small part of a greater arena of life. And our unique expressions of goodness creativity and spirit would seem valuable even in a vast spectrum of intelligent expressions. It is time to look again at the meaning of God in light of a universe teaming with life. A more complete understanding could only strengthen my value for creation and for the Creator.
Are you a thespian?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#152158 Feb 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
A beast is a creature without higher thought. It exists in the here and now only.
Numbers have been worshiped for a long time. You have the Kabbalah, theologians once pondered how many angels on the head of a pin, and now you have theoretical physicists counting universes.
Let him who hath understanding recon the number of the beast, For it is a human number.

Does this sound like something without higher thought and reason?
Does the Idea of the most perfect angel confuse you you with something that is inferior? Does the Idea of Enlightenment , confused you with the darkness your god wishes you to be in?

The light bearer is the one you fear. In the light you can see, in darkness you will dwell without the light.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 35 min Dogen 75,691
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 hr Frindly 32,060
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 8 hr Regolith Based Li... 4,084
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 11 hr Brendatucker 232
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 11 hr Subduction Zone 6,112
Majority of Scots now have no religion (May '16) Tue John 164
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) Tue Eagle 12 - 581
More from around the web