Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
145,901 - 145,920 of 224,132 Comments Last updated 2 min ago

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Looking, looking, nope absolutely zero empirical evidence.Damn you tell a lot of lies. chemicals,matter, geologic history, the biosphere none of that even hints AT HOW DEAD INANIMATE MATTER CAME TO LIFE ON ITS OWN!
The phrase DEAD INANIMATE MATTER doesn't make sense, and neither do you. Do you think carbon atoms are alive?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

trekx wrote:
<quoted text>
Actuality no i check all my facts, and if i am wrong i will admit it, its just your bias/religion that wont allow you to see the truth. And BTW there have been wars for thousands of years not just the couple hundred years you posted and though out those thousands of years the majority where religious wars ...
But really Atheism is more then this. Lets just put it this way, to be religious (any religion) you first have to be taught that religion. But to be an Atheist you dont have to be taught anything at all, its just a natural state of mind and the way we are all born ...
The majority of wars were over territorial disputes. It even happens between neighbors when one puts up a fence. One side claims the fence is extended onto their side of the property. Next thing you know there is a dispute that leads to war.

{to be religious (any religion) you first have to be taught that religion}.

If this is true then Helen Keller (1880-1968) would have been an atheist. She was both deaf and blind but never drifted to atheism. Living in complete isolation from the world she acknowledged she always knew God was there even before she could communicate.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Biogenesis is a truth yes , but it does not explain everything.
Thought it is a truth that nonliving matter does not spring to life, it does not explain origin. Nor does it refute it's having an origin
from nonliving matter. It only explains it is not a continual process. This law was to counter the idea of spontaneous generation,
when it was thought rotten meat generated flies.
So very misused by scientifically challenged individuals who would even deny evolution, which is also a part of biogenesis. Which does encompass these concepts,
Evolution
Mutation
Genetic code
Metabolism
Photosynthesis
Respiration
Carbon cycle
Oxygen cycle
Limiting factor
Ecosystem
I would have a much harder time rejecting evolution if our mail man was an orangutan. Or the New York Cap drivers were baboons. We have similarities to these primates but intellectually we are light years ahead of them.

We are so much different than any species because of our intellect. We can build and create. Beavers can build dams but nothing like Hoover Dam.

Science has yet to answer how life began on the earth and self assembled. RNA and DNA doesn’t self assemble these complicated codes to life. Self creation from sterile material is impossible. It takes a designer or engineer to put the codes together.

If I was an atheist I would be asking how did it all start in the beginning without outside interference. Lots is said about science. But science has not even came close to answering this question.

Since: Feb 13

Riverside , CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The majority of wars were over territorial disputes. It even happens between neighbors when one puts up a fence. One side claims the fence is extended onto their side of the property. Next thing you know there is a dispute that leads to war.
If this is true then Helen Keller (1880-1968) would have been an atheist. She was both deaf and blind but never drifted to atheism. Living in complete isolation from the world she acknowledged she always knew God was there even before she could communicate.
First off read a non bias non religions history book. and second Helen Keller was 19 Months or a year and a half be she contracted an illness that left her deaf and blind. plenty of time for some brainwashing.. And she was able to communicate somewhat with Martha Washington, the six year old daughter of the family cook, who understood her signs; and by the age of seven, Helen had more than 60 home signs to communicate with her family. So your argument is completely invalid, Yes read more than one book you can learn alot ...

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

BS

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Gomer. That's a beautiful name. The bible has many:
Nimrod
Dorcas
Jehu
Jethro
Gomer
Gad
Ham
Dodo
I still like Jehu, son of Nimshi.

Earliest citation I know for dangerous driving.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Is it ok to rubbish comforting myths? Is it easier to believe in a comforting myth than harsh reality? Just raising the Q for debate.

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Adam wrote:
Is it ok to rubbish comforting myths? Is it easier to believe in a comforting myth than harsh reality? Just raising the Q for debate.
It depends on how old you are.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lies.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends on how old you are.
Agree. I think as adults we dont need a security blanket any more.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
This anecdote proves nothing - you have no proof of god but you don't even have the decency to stop lying about it to everyone...
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Jehu- product of a jumping Jehoshaphat.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I still like Jehu, son of Nimshi.
Earliest citation I know for dangerous driving.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have a much harder time rejecting evolution if our mail man was an orangutan. Or the New York Cap drivers were baboons. We have similarities to these primates but intellectually we are light years ahead of them.
We are so much different than any species because of our intellect. We can build and create. Beavers can build dams but nothing like Hoover Dam.
Science has yet to answer how life began on the earth and self assembled. RNA and DNA doesn’t self assemble these complicated codes to life. Self creation from sterile material is impossible. It takes a designer or engineer to put the codes together.
If I was an atheist I would be asking how did it all start in the beginning without outside interference. Lots is said about science. But science has not even came close to answering this question.
"If I was an atheist..."

...You're not even close...

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree. I think as adults we dont need a security blanket any more.
471 days from now I'll be old enough to legally buy alcohol in my state of residence.

105 days from now I can no longer be called a teenager.

I still sleep with my stuffed rabbit.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
471 days from now I'll be old enough to legally buy alcohol in my state of residence.
I think that just encourages illegal drinking. Here you are legally an adult at 18 and can buy alcohol from then. In fact 16 and 17 year olds can drink at a restuarant if accompanied by an adult.
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

When did you first successfully illegally buy? I was 15, but I got refused several times.

We used to get female friends to buy for all of us as no one seemed to care if they were 18 or not.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
105 days from now I can no longer be called a teenager.
I still sleep with my stuffed rabbit.

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Thinking wrote:
When did you first successfully illegally buy? I was 15, but I got refused several times.
We used to get female friends to buy for all of us as no one seemed to care if they were 18 or not.
<quoted text>
I don't drink alcohol but I think it's extremely stupid to consider me an adult but make it illegal for me to engage in adult vices.

I agree with Adam when he says it just encourages teenagers to break the law.

It's all about........Christianity..... .shhhhhhhhh......blue laws don't exist in America.
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

I don't really drink alcohol either. It's just that independent brewers and vineyards keep putting loads of it into my beers and wines.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't drink alcohol but I think it's extremely stupid to consider me an adult but make it illegal for me to engage in adult vices.
I agree with Adam when he says it just encourages teenagers to break the law.
It's all about........Christianity..... .shhhhhhhhh......blue laws don't exist in America.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>I would have a much harder time rejecting evolution if our mail man was an orangutan. Or the New York Cap drivers were baboons. We have similarities to these primates but intellectually we are light years ahead of them.

Science has yet to answer how life began on the earth and self assembled. RNA and DNA doesnÂ’t self assemble these complicated codes to life. Self creation from sterile material is impossible. It takes a designer or engineer to put the codes together.

Bullshit.

Science is coming closer to that answer every day.

That you are too cowardly to look at the research is your problem.
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

That's a very odd form of contraception.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
...New York Cap drivers...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Buck Crick 205
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Buck Crick 21,387
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 5 hr DonPanic 1,286
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 7 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 8 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 21 hr religionisillness 834
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... Thu Patrick 16
•••
•••