Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#151868 Feb 5, 2013
Adam wrote:
Is it ok to rubbish comforting myths? Is it easier to believe in a comforting myth than harsh reality? Just raising the Q for debate.
It depends on how old you are.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#151869 Feb 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lies.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#151870 Feb 5, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends on how old you are.
Agree. I think as adults we dont need a security blanket any more.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#151871 Feb 5, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The majority of wars were over territorial disputes. It even happens between neighbors when one puts up a fence. One side claims the fence is extended onto their side of the property. Next thing you know there is a dispute that leads to war.
{to be religious (any religion) you first have to be taught that religion}.
If this is true then Helen Keller (1880-1968) would have been an atheist. She was both deaf and blind but never drifted to atheism. Living in complete isolation from the world she acknowledged she always knew God was there even before she could communicate.
This anecdote proves nothing - you have no proof of god but you don't even have the decency to stop lying about it to everyone...
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#151872 Feb 5, 2013
Jehu- product of a jumping Jehoshaphat.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I still like Jehu, son of Nimshi.
Earliest citation I know for dangerous driving.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#151873 Feb 5, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have a much harder time rejecting evolution if our mail man was an orangutan. Or the New York Cap drivers were baboons. We have similarities to these primates but intellectually we are light years ahead of them.
We are so much different than any species because of our intellect. We can build and create. Beavers can build dams but nothing like Hoover Dam.
Science has yet to answer how life began on the earth and self assembled. RNA and DNA doesn’t self assemble these complicated codes to life. Self creation from sterile material is impossible. It takes a designer or engineer to put the codes together.
If I was an atheist I would be asking how did it all start in the beginning without outside interference. Lots is said about science. But science has not even came close to answering this question.
"If I was an atheist..."

...You're not even close...

Location hidden

#151874 Feb 5, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree. I think as adults we dont need a security blanket any more.
471 days from now I'll be old enough to legally buy alcohol in my state of residence.

105 days from now I can no longer be called a teenager.

I still sleep with my stuffed rabbit.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#151875 Feb 5, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
471 days from now I'll be old enough to legally buy alcohol in my state of residence.
I think that just encourages illegal drinking. Here you are legally an adult at 18 and can buy alcohol from then. In fact 16 and 17 year olds can drink at a restuarant if accompanied by an adult.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#151876 Feb 5, 2013
When did you first successfully illegally buy? I was 15, but I got refused several times.

We used to get female friends to buy for all of us as no one seemed to care if they were 18 or not.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
105 days from now I can no longer be called a teenager.
I still sleep with my stuffed rabbit.

Location hidden

#151877 Feb 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
When did you first successfully illegally buy? I was 15, but I got refused several times.
We used to get female friends to buy for all of us as no one seemed to care if they were 18 or not.
<quoted text>
I don't drink alcohol but I think it's extremely stupid to consider me an adult but make it illegal for me to engage in adult vices.

I agree with Adam when he says it just encourages teenagers to break the law.

It's all about........Christianity..... .shhhhhhhhh......blue laws don't exist in America.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#151878 Feb 5, 2013
I don't really drink alcohol either. It's just that independent brewers and vineyards keep putting loads of it into my beers and wines.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't drink alcohol but I think it's extremely stupid to consider me an adult but make it illegal for me to engage in adult vices.
I agree with Adam when he says it just encourages teenagers to break the law.
It's all about........Christianity..... .shhhhhhhhh......blue laws don't exist in America.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#151879 Feb 5, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>I would have a much harder time rejecting evolution if our mail man was an orangutan. Or the New York Cap drivers were baboons. We have similarities to these primates but intellectually we are light years ahead of them.

We are so much different than any species because of our intellect. We can build and create. Beavers can build dams but nothing like Hoover Dam.

Science has yet to answer how life began on the earth and self assembled. RNA and DNA doesnÂ’t self assemble these complicated codes to life. Self creation from sterile material is impossible. It takes a designer or engineer to put the codes together.

If I was an atheist I would be asking how did it all start in the beginning without outside interference. Lots is said about science. But science has not even came close to answering this question.
Bullshit.

Science is coming closer to that answer every day.

That you are too cowardly to look at the research is your problem.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#151880 Feb 5, 2013
That's a very odd form of contraception.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
...New York Cap drivers...

Location hidden

#151881 Feb 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I don't really drink alcohol either. It's just that independent brewers and vineyards keep putting loads of it into my beers and wines.
<quoted text>
I have nothing against alcohol consumption. I have great fun with drunk people. Here's my favourite morning sentence:

"Anybody seen my wallet?"

"Why is there a check mark on my forehead?"

"Who was that Chinese girl?"
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#151882 Feb 5, 2013
Whoever this foot fits, I shall marry... sh*t! Where's my wallet?
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I have nothing against alcohol consumption. I have great fun with drunk people. Here's my favourite morning sentence:
"Anybody seen my wallet?"
"Why is there a check mark on my forehead?"
"Who was that Chinese girl?"

Location hidden

#151883 Feb 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Whoever this foot fits, I shall marry... sh*t! Where's my wallet?
<quoted text>
I can't get drunk. I have too much to lose.

You can lose your pants, your car keys, your money, your self esteem, your cookies.

I could lose my leg.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#151884 Feb 5, 2013
I've had so much returned to me but I live in a nice village. One of my drinking friends dropped a purse with £200 in it in a hedge- she got it back four days later, completely intact.

Can you see UK Channel 4's "Last Leg" where you are?

www.youtube.com/watch...

Essential weekend viewing for us...
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't get drunk. I have too much to lose.
You can lose your pants, your car keys, your money, your self esteem, your cookies.
I could lose my leg.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#151885 Feb 5, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have a much harder time rejecting evolution if our mail man was an orangutan. Or the New York Cap drivers were baboons. We have similarities to these primates but intellectually we are light years ahead of them.
Science has yet to answer how life began on the earth and self assembled. RNA and DNA doesn’t self assemble these complicated codes to life. Self creation from sterile material is impossible. It takes a designer or engineer to put the codes together.
Why wouldn't you think that different species of the same type animal could be so different? We are similar , and the differences
are small. But the small differences have a huge impact in reality.
For instance it would make sense to you had all parent species
survived and were alive for you to see the progression.

But they did not but we can still see the progression in retrospect via the fossil record and our knowledge of evolutionary pathways. In this way we can make sense of why a family groups can harbor similar but vastly different animals within it.

How without intervention?
A valid question and a possibility, but we are coming very close to finding out the truth maybe simpler than we ever imagined.
There is the possibility of exterior manipulation of the genetic code, and genuine questions how it can be that man became so intelligent on his own.

But the answer to this is simply that it is not ruled out Eagle, but it cannot be ruled in , until something points to this.
So far there is little indication there has been exterior influences in the manipulation of our development.
Perhaps the biggest clue so far has been that no intervening force or entity has presented itself , in the same way as written in the genesis account. If there were then there would be no reason to doubt it don't you think?

Location hidden

#151886 Feb 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I've had so much returned to me but I live in a nice village. One of my drinking friends dropped a purse with £200 in it in a hedge- she got it back four days later, completely intact.
Can you see UK Channel 4's "Last Leg" where you are?
www.youtube.com/watch...
Essential weekend viewing for us...
<quoted text>
I can't at the moment but I'm sure I could if I try. I'll look it up.

I don't carry actual money here. Just plastic cards. One of them has 3 corners shaved razor sharp. I haven't had to use it yet.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#151888 Feb 5, 2013
I like the "Last Leg". It was a spin off from the Paralympics coverage where you can ask the presenters anything awkward.

The only time I seem to use cash over here is at the pub. I mean you can run a tab, but you just *don't*. Plus I never carry ID on a night out.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't at the moment but I'm sure I could if I try. I'll look it up.
I don't carry actual money here. Just plastic cards. One of them has 3 corners shaved razor sharp. I haven't had to use it yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God' existence 11 min Carchar king 78
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Eagle 12 2,599
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 4 hr thetruth 202
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 4 hr chris toal 39
Evidence for God! 6 hr thetruth 368
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 6 hr thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 6 hr thetruth 162
More from around the web