Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
145,721 - 145,740 of 224,656 Comments Last updated 56 min ago

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you account for the laws of logic that underpin logic from an atheistic perspective?
If not, then you need to start there, before appealing to sole ownership of it.
Otherwise you could be regarded as a thief, who has stole something that does not belong to him...
Ah, back to the evasive presuppositional BS because you don't want to discuss the actual topic.

Tell us more about the wonderful intellectual idea of a woman being made out of a rib, please.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth about Creation being banned and replaced with the fairy tale of evolutionary mysticism?
They replaced mythology with science. We know you hate science, but please stop whining about it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
If what you say is true, then slavery is only evil when society forbids it.
But if it condones it, it is not evil.
You understand the argument you are making don't you?
You've yet to explain why different people appeal to different moral systems, if there is one universal moral system.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>A POSITIVE claim that needs to be supported with verifiable evidence.....ready...set....GO !!
An Idiotic idea that is supported by 99% of the worlds scientists. An idiotic idea that is factual as far as mainstream science is concerned. An idiotic idea that is in Fact, FACTUAL. An idiotic idea that had in 2009 135,000 articles published in reputable scientific journals and periodicals in full support of the FACTS of evolution, and nowhere in sight was there ANY articles published to refute any of there facts, why is that?
Filling children's mind's with scientifically accurate and supportive information is hardly viewed a polluting, except by those so blinded and brainwashed by their religion that these facts are simply ignored. Willful ignorance is a terrible trait.
Filling the child's mind with fear and visions of torture would be more on the lines of polluting. To fill there heads with the false knowledge that a celestial dictator has the ability to peer into their most private thoughts and convict them of thought crimes, is polluting. To tell them they are sinners and condemned to eternal torture unless they spend their lives trying to become well after being born sick, is child abuse plain and simple. Anyone that supports filling the innocent mind with visions of terror and torture deserves that same fate as any other child abuser. Shame on you or anyone else subjecting an innocent child to these unfounded horrors. Horror is the name of religion is still HORROR!!!!!!!!!!
You argue evolution is absolutely true.

Then you make an appeal to an absolute moral position.

How do you account for absolute morality in an atheistic evolutionary worldview?

You cannot.

So you appeal to the transcendent laws that you deny, so that you can continue in your denial and hatred of the God who gave you the ability to reason and moralise.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you care?
Because it makes your supposedly perfect moral system a failure. You cannot reconcile the Bible condoning slavery and rape with your personal beliefs (supposedly Bible-based) that slavery and rape are evil.
mtimber wrote:
You are an atheist, slavery and rape are perfectly acceptable in your worldview, as long as society comes to a consensus on the matter.
Untrue. I never said my ethical views were based purely on societal consensus.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
god is logicaly contradictory to be real
no omniscience needed
www.evilbible.com/Impossible.htm
spread the word
Without God you cannot account for logic.

Using logic reveals your need of relying upon Him, whilst suppressing the truth of Him and His relationship to you as your Creator.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, back to the evasive presuppositional BS because you don't want to discuss the actual topic.
Tell us more about the wonderful intellectual idea of a woman being made out of a rib, please.
Account for intellect in an atheistic worldview.

You cannot, we both know it, because intellect is a gift from God.

As for intellectual ideas, how about telling us more about how rocks decided to form themselves into conscious life by sprinkling some magic fairy dust called "time" on themselves...

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

trekx wrote:
<quoted text>
From my history book ...
Serbians who were mistreated by the Austrian Government who enforced higher taxes to pay for churches. So Austria invaded Serbia angering other countries which turned into everyone picking sides and fighting each other. So technically religion was a root cause of World War 1. And World War 2 was also mainly caused by religion. Primarily Catholicism cause these wars.
Just like most wars, World War 1 was started by religion.
Plus there are many other country's that have wars that dont involve America that are mostly religious ....
When I mentioned credibility, I was serious. History does Not state WWI was started over religion and either was WWII.

You have no facts to back up your claim so your claim is bogus.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
They replaced mythology with science. We know you hate science, but please stop whining about it.
I have no problem with science, as all true science can only be performed and accounted for when reliance on God's transcendent laws are adhered to.

But evolution isn't science and never has been.

Its sole purpose is to suppress the truth of Creation.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
You've yet to explain why different people appeal to different moral systems, if there is one universal moral system.
There is one absolute moral standard.

But there also sin, which suppresses morality and creates subjective arbitrary corruptions of that absolute moral standard.

So quite easy to account for.

Your turn...

How do you account for your use of absolute moral standards as an atheist?

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

trekx wrote:
<quoted text>
And come on Iraq War not religious?
Although most americans see it as a fight for oil (witch we all know how that goes) Islams see it as an attack on their religion. 9/11 was a religish attack and it lead to the war. tarriest are radical Muslims that want to kill all Americans because we dont share there religious views...
911 attack was based on religious extremist. You got one out of a hundred.

Iraq war depending which one you are referring too started when Iraq invaded Kuwaiti. Saddam needed the cash flow from Kuwaiti oil to pay for his expenses during the Iran Iraq war. It wasn’t a religious war.

This dialog between us has given me a pretty good idea that you are one of those atheist that will say anything and claim it as the truth. My friend you lack facts, history, and credibility.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it makes your supposedly perfect moral system a failure. You cannot reconcile the Bible condoning slavery and rape with your personal beliefs (supposedly Bible-based) that slavery and rape are evil.
<quoted text>
Untrue. I never said my ethical views were based purely on societal consensus.
I reject your arbitrary claims of rape being approved in the Bible by the way.

As to the issue of slavery, we could of course have a bible study if you were a Christian, but as you have no real interest in the issue other than as an excuse to reject your Creator, I see little point in discussing the matter.

But I am curious how you appeal to absolute morality when you reject consensus as the basis.

Is it your own arbitrary opinion you base absolute morality on?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Account for intellect in an atheistic worldview.
Intellect is a product of brains.
mtimber wrote:
You cannot, we both know it, because intellect is a gift from God.
As for intellectual ideas, how about telling us more about how rocks decided to form themselves into conscious life by sprinkling some magic fairy dust called "time" on themselves...
I wasn't aware that amino acids and other organic compounds were "rocks".

Still waiting for more details about rib-lady. How does one turn a rib into a woman?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with science, as all true science can only be performed and accounted for when reliance on God's transcendent laws are adhered to.
You have a problem with science. You reject all the science that is a problem with your personal beliefs.

What you deem "true" or "false" science has nothing to do with methodology or process; it's what results you don't like.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Intellect is a product of brains.
<quoted text>
I wasn't aware that amino acids and other organic compounds were "rocks".
Still waiting for more details about rib-lady. How does one turn a rib into a woman?
Intellect is based on the use of logic.

So you think logic is the product of brains?

Are you sure you want to take that position?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
You are an atheist, you cannot account for "truth".
So "proof" is meaningless in an atheistic worldview, it is not expected or required.
Nice dodge, bro.

Thanks for admitting that there is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof of any god's existence.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
There is one absolute moral standard.
But there also sin, which suppresses morality and creates subjective arbitrary corruptions of that absolute moral standard.
So quite easy to account for.
You're not accounting for it at all.'Sin' isn't an explanation; its a cop-out.

If everyone has the exact same, god-installed internal gauge for morality, then people should have the same moral systems worldwide. But they don't.
mtimber wrote:
How do you account for your use of absolute moral standards as an atheist?
For example?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

The_Box wrote:
How does one turn a rib into a woman?
One doesn't.

The all powerful God does...

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Your religion is both a house of cards and heaping quantities of smoke and mirrors.
50% of the Bible is pure contradiction.
The problem with dogma slaves is they cannot discern fantasy from reality. They are terrified of death and sooth their primal fear with 'wishfull thinking' in the worship of some God.
For centuries Christians have been making excuses for the sordid content and vainly attempting to white wash the obvious biblical nonsense.
Horus and Mithras myths were recycled by Christians. Study them.
What part of killing children, enslaving humans appeals to you as godlike and worthy of worship?
What did the children of gods wrath do that warranted death? Why slaves?
Punishment to future generations? LOL
GODS are imaginary and you are foolish to defend the indefensible.
Try reading every page of the Bible and stop excusing the inexcusable.
This site will help...
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/
What true faith wrought...
Tomas De Torquemada... Proud? Feel all fuzzy with God now? Remember, he loves you!
If you are not Catholic, then your religion is a breakaway from the origin if the faith!
http://catholic.christianityinview.com/
The RCC claims exclusive authorship of the Bible, better confirm you have the right version.
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php...
You are entitled to your opinion even if it is wrong.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a problem with science. You reject all the science that is a problem with your personal beliefs.
What you deem "true" or "false" science has nothing to do with methodology or process; it's what results you don't like.
Not true.

I reject all philosophical notions that rest on the need to deny God (like evolution), because it is not consistent with the self evident truth of God.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr ChristineM 851
Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 3 hr John 70,965
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Buck Crick 261
Talking some sense into you people... 4 hr Buck Crick 29
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Magyar 101 21,407
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 6 hr CunningLinguist 30
Atheists, give up your lost religion and seek t... (Nov '13) 15 hr CunningLinguist 229
•••
•••