Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,285)

Showing posts 145,681 - 145,700 of224,012
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

As expected you dodged my question. Stalin is a hero and saint in the Russian Orthodox Church to this day and was beloved by them when he was alive as he went to their priest school and renovated several churches for them.

Still waiting for a totalitarian leader to claim he was killing in the name of Atheism as the Christians proudly killed and tortured in the name of Jesus during the crusades, Spanish Inquisition? Salem Witch trials.

Anytime now Daffy anytime now.

Waiting and waiting and zzzzzzzz waiting and waiting.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Im not a student of the Salem Witch Trials.
I do know about Stalin, Pol Pot and many other murderous communist leaders who killed hundreds of millions.
So how many millions died in the Salem Witch Trials?
Waiting,.....Zzzzzzzzz
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
At the end of the day human beings are still just liddle kiddles with a pocketful of the things they found in this life. Emergent consciousnesses.
Makes for some very complicated interactions, sharing what they found, and the fascination they have with them.
I just wish these Topix atheists weren't so fond of piles of shit.
We aren't but your religion is very fond.

And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight." - Ezekiel 4:12

We can discuss Gods love of foreskins next!
Maybe he made foreskin jerky?

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Bet the reject has ever done actually :)
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
hahAhAA
GOOD rebuttal.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Benjamin Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>I had to remove bit's of your post it made me go above the character cap.

Have things like the above been done by the religious or have they not? I think it’s pretty safe to say mass killings have been done by your lot in the past too with a logical (if your religious) reason, God told them to! Now try and show that atheism is a reason for genocide go on try it! You will fail at best you will link anti-theism (the belief that religion is a actively harming us(I know the name sucks)) with genocide but not the belief in the lack of a god/disbelief in god so you haven’t refuted me at all we are still waiting for an evil action that only I can do.
On a less relevant point all but Jeffrey Dahmer had a cult of personality once again showing at least a link between religious like thinking to the willingness to do evil.
MythBusters: Without Religion there would be no War
Posted by Justin Ferriman
Christian Commentary

I can’t count the number of times I have heard this ‘argument’ on the internet from amateur atheists. Naturally, the more seasoned of us know that this is simply not true, but it seems to be a staple in atheistland that the newcomers love to recite.

I am not naive to the fact that religion is probably the reason most used to justify conflicts, but I strongly refute the idea that a warless world is only obtainable through the elimination of religion (human nature won’t allow it). I was looking around the internet for different wars that aren’t religiously driven to back my claim and I stumbled upon someones post in a forum. I don’t know who the author is, but it sums out my viewpoints on the matter pretty thoroughly. Enjoy

Much is said, today, on the issue of religious wars. Without question, religion has been (if only superficially) the banner of countless wars throughout history. Lists are often compiled, naming various instances of religious war (as, for example, this list).

One might reasonably ask, however, whether or not there is a corresponding list of non-religious wars. After all, if religion is really good for nothing but “starting wars,” then surely its elimination would do away with, or at least considerably diminish, the perpetuation of warfare across the globe.

Jack Perry has presented one such list of non-religious wars, as follows:

1.) The Seven Years’ War (Britain & France)
2.)The American Revolution
3.)The French Revolution
4.)The Napoleonic Wars (France & Europe)
5.)The Revolutions in the Americas
6.)The Wars to create and preserve the British Empire (Boer War, Irish Revolution, and the Great Game with Russia would all be examples)
7.)The American Civil War
8.)The Crimean War
9.)The Spanish-American War
10.)The Great War, The War to End All Wars, or World War I (whatever you want to call it)
11.)The Italian invasion of Ethiopia
12.)The Spanish Civil War
13.)Stalin’s invasions of Finland, the Baltic states, and Poland
14.)World War II
15.)The Chinese Revolution
16.)The Cold War, including but not limited to the Korean War, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Vietnam War, the American intervention in Grenada, and the Soviet campaign in Afghanistan
17.)The Cultural Revolution in China (If you don’t want to call this a war I’ll concede it)
18.)Pol Pot’s Khmer Rouge Revolution
19.)The Falklands War
20.)The Persian Gulf War between Iran & Iraq
21.)The Persian Gulf War between the United Nations and Iraq
The Breakup of Yugoslavia (beginning with Slovenia).

http://de-conversion.com/2008/08/01/mythbuste...

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Well said and indeed it is commanded in their holy book. The dark Palestinian god Jesus-Yahweh-Allah that they worship demands violence to non believers. We see them fighting between their dark religious side and modern secular morals that state you can't burn people at the stake because they don't attend your church.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no reason to believe that if they legalized witch burning again that the Christians wouldn't be setting people on fire again. Here's a good question to ask a Christian who claims that they're over their sadism:
Can you name one society in history where Christians had the power to burn or impale unbelievers with impunity, but elected not to use it? Can you name one instance of Christians saying, "Yes, we could burn people alive that we don't approve of, but we choose not to do it, because that would be barbaric and sadistic"?

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Did you swallow like a good spunk spittoon?
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, in the words of Connolly "Don't vote! You'll only encourage the bastards!"

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Did you swallow like a good spunk spittoon?
Wouldn't you like to know

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
Why?

You are an atheist, you cannot account for "truth".

So "proof" is meaningless in an atheistic worldview, it is not expected or required.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think you can exempt your god from your own assertions? Doesn't work like that. If everything needs to be created, then so does your god, that means your god has to have a god as well.
You are making an absolute truth claim here, that everything needs to be created.

You can only make that if you absolutely know all truth.

Upon what basis do you make that absolute truth claim?

Is it your own arbitrary opinion?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep repeating that. Perhaps someone will start to believe it if it is repeated enough times.
Well, people believe that rocks turned into men, so you may have a point there...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Morals are the rules of group cooperation. They exist because they are a benefit to our survival, without them civilization could not have occurred. They are subjective, depending on human wants and needs. Read The Evolution of Morality By Richard Joyce.
Ok, so slavery and rape are subjective moral positions then?

As long as it benefits the larger number of people, it is okay?

Do you really believe what you are presenting here?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop sidestepping the question and explain a blind retarded girl with deformed limbs. How is a world full of unjust suffering compatible with the idea of a moral creator god? Did god screw up or does he not care about unjust suffering?
You are an atheist, how can you appeal to absolute morals like you have done here?

What is "unjust" suffering in an atheistic worldview, if there is not absolute standard of morality and therefore no judgement?

You are appealing to something outside of atheism as the basis for your beliefs here, do you understand that?

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
You are an atheist, you cannot account for "truth".
So "proof" is meaningless in an atheistic worldview, it is not expected or required.
Theists are liars and thieves

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the Christians are the ones we have to deal with on a day-to-day basis. They are the ones attempting to get their beliefs taught in schools, legislated by Congress, and supported by the government. If Islam was doing the same things here, we would 'display tension' about them in the same way. Both are dangerous, but in different ways. Today Islam is the more violent, although that has not always been the case.
So secular atheism is not aggressive, doesn't try to indoctrinate belief systems in schools and get those beliefs legislated by congress.

Such beliefs as:

Evolution
Abiogenesis
Naturalism
Homosexuality
Child Sacrifice.

But putting that obvious discrepancy aside.

Why are you so concerned with sharing the idea that you hold an absolute moral position (secularism being superior), when you do not believe in absolute moral positions?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

"God" doesn't exist. Neither so absolute morals.
Are you absolutely sure that you want to make an absolute knowledge claim like this?

Upon what basis do you claim omniscience for yourself?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Put on your skeptics cap and see if you can answer this from an unbeliever's perspective: why would there be a Commandment to honor the Sabbath?
The Sabbath is a celebration of God as Creator.

Remembering that, would have stopped idiotic ideas like evolution springing up and polluting childrens minds.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
What does that mean? Explain why I feel it, where it came from, how it serves me, or something else? I think I can, but so what if I couldn't? Is that an argument for a god or gods? Already stipulated.
You still have failed to make a case for the creator god or gods of the universe being Jehovah-Jesus. I'm starting to think that you can't.
I don't have to make a case, the truth of Gods existance is self evident.

Why do you think you have the right to put God on trial?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I make no claim. You declare your diety as fact without a shred of evidence. I think 'true believers' are mentally unstable, filled wih fear of their own mortality and willing to abandon reason for fantasy.
You make no claim?

Then make a claim?

You still have not answered how you can account for absolute morality?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Remembering that, would have stopped idiotic ideas like evolution springing up and polluting childrens minds.
Rational ideas based on mountains of evidence? Idiotic!

Man made out of dust and woman made out of a rib? Genius!
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
At the end of the day human beings are still just liddle kiddles with a pocketful of the things they found in this life. Emergent consciousnesses.
Makes for some very complicated interactions, sharing what they found, and the fascination they have with them.
I just wish these Topix atheists weren't so fond of piles of shit.
I also wish certain theists weren't so fond of piles of dirt, that somehow magically turned into a fully formed male.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 145,681 - 145,700 of224,012
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 16 min Buck Crick 7
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 45 min Patrick 21,376
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Buck Crick 175
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 2 hr Buck Crick 356
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Thinking 831
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 6 hr Patrick 1,285
Introducing The Universal Religion 7 hr Thinking 729
•••
•••