Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#151605 Feb 4, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
I’m not a student of the Salem Witch Trials. I do know about Stalin, Pol Pot and many other murderous communist leaders
That may be why you still think that your church beneficent institution. You probably know very little about its crimes and other abuses.

You're probably also not a student of evolutionary science, but are well versed in the apologetics of creationism and intelligent design.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#151606 Feb 4, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
George Bush has claimed he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq
He literally called it a crusade: http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/0919/p12s2-woeu...

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#151607 Feb 4, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
George Bush is an idiot, and an embarrassment to white people everywhere.
He's a born again christian

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#151608 Feb 4, 2013
At the end of the day human beings are still just liddle kiddles with a pocketful of the things they found in this life. Emergent consciousnesses.

Makes for some very complicated interactions, sharing what they found, and the fascination they have with them.

I just wish these Topix atheists weren't so fond of piles of shit.
Imhotep

United States

#151609 Feb 4, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Genesis 19:34
The scripture you list is about a sin that occurred after Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed. Lot gets drunk and his stupid daughters participate in incest. Bad things happen when you drink too much. Also bad things happen when you don’t raise your kids in a righteous environment.
God didn’t tell those girls to do that. And neither did Lot. The bible doesn’t hide this sin but reveals how perverted these former inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah
were.
Yet you point this scripture out as if this was something that was sanctioned by God. Man be a straight shooter and stop this misrepresentation. If you have to use these kinds of tactics what does that say about your argument?
I’ll tell you what it says. Your argument is a house of cards.
Your religion is both a house of cards and heaping quantities of smoke and mirrors.

50% of the Bible is pure contradiction.
The problem with dogma slaves is they cannot discern fantasy from reality. They are terrified of death and sooth their primal fear with 'wishfull thinking' in the worship of some God.

For centuries Christians have been making excuses for the sordid content and vainly attempting to white wash the obvious biblical nonsense.

Horus and Mithras myths were recycled by Christians. Study them.

What part of killing children, enslaving humans appeals to you as godlike and worthy of worship?

What did the children of gods wrath do that warranted death? Why slaves?
Punishment to future generations? LOL

GODS are imaginary and you are foolish to defend the indefensible.

Try reading every page of the Bible and stop excusing the inexcusable.

This site will help...

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

What true faith wrought...
Tomas De Torquemada... Proud? Feel all fuzzy with God now? Remember, he loves you!

If you are not Catholic, then your religion is a breakaway from the origin if the faith!

http://catholic.christianityinview.com/

The RCC claims exclusive authorship of the Bible, better confirm you have the right version.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php...
Imhotep

United States

#151610 Feb 4, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a born again christian
I was born perfect the first time, too bad so many need to be reborn! What was broke? Why the celestial recall?

Please share this insightful Christian knowledge, in person, with any Muslim. They need saving too... Correct?

If there is truly safety on numbers...
Tell that to 6 million Jews

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#151612 Feb 4, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Spock! you comic uneducated ass , try Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Life springing into existence on its own is impossible, leaving what?
Why because you say it? Hardly evidence that it isn't what happened, just the uneducated ass who hears something it doesn't like to hear.
The evidence clearly shows that life sprang from a set of conditions, and that it is not impossible, but is very probable.

Imhotep

United States

#151613 Feb 4, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
We're militant?
That doesn't seem a little disproportionate to you - 13 verses of "positive and good things" and 56 verses of threats? Pat Condell to the rescue again:
"All three desert dogmas are variations on the same death cult. And they all worship this same god of supposed love and benevolent mercy, which is presumably why they hate each other with such a violent passion. I don't know, you'd have to ask them that.
"Look at the treatment dished out to Adam and Eve, the very first people on the planet. They were punished for being true to their nature, the very nature that God endowed them with. He knew they were curious, he knew they had to be curious to survive, so he knew that they would eat that apple. A cynical person might start to suspect that God only created us in the first place in order to punish us. Because this is the first lesson we learn in Genesis, that being human is a sin.
" http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php... , so he punished us by destroying our language.
"So here we are, we're barely just a few pages into the Bible and already we've taken two massive body blows from our loving and merciful god. Shortly after this he floods the entire planet because somebody must have looked at him the wrong way. He does tip off one person to build a boat, because obviously he doesn't want everyone wiped out, otherwise there'd be nobody left to punish.
"In Deuteronomy 13, according to God, if you hear of a city where another god is worshipped you must kill everybody in that city; men, women, children, babies, even cattle. And then you must burn that city to the ground.
"Oh, and by the way, thou shalt not kill."
I like Diderot's take!

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
--Denis Diderot

"Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own?" - Robert G. Ingersoll

The works if RG Ingersoll... Enjoy

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/ro...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#151614 Feb 4, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I'd rather deploy drones than see our guys get their legs blown off.
<quoted text>
Agreed. But think our leaders should be open about the use of drones, and not appear so secretive about it.
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#151615 Feb 4, 2013
Fair enough.

They should also have the guts to say that islam is an embarrassing pain in the arse.

They should also have the guts to say that Western users create demand for drugs that in turn finances the IEDs used against our soldiers.
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. But think our leaders should be open about the use of drones, and not appear so secretive about it.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#151616 Feb 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ugh
hahAhAA

GOOD rebuttal.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#151617 Feb 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I am addressing the topic, but there is no double standard.
You're not addressing it.

My friend can shoot lasers from his eyes.
"I reject that claim. Humans can't do that!"
My friend is a God, not a human.
Imhotep

United States

#151618 Feb 4, 2013
<quoted text>
This has been a huge advantage for unbelievers. I can express my opinions about the church without having my car keyed or my pets executed.
How do you think the Catholic church lost control of its pedophile problem? Before the Internet, they settled with the boys when they had to, with a gag provision to silence them.
Then came the Internet, and these victims found one another. It became apparent that in many cases, the same priest had molested several boys, the crime covered up, and the priest reassigned to a new and unsuspecting parish. The Internet blew the cover off of that and revealed the magnitude of the problem: the Catholic church is a de facto sex syndicate. It wouldn't have been possible without the anonymity that the Internet offers.
The Internet was probably the last nail in the coffin for Christianity in the West, the first perhaps being the advent of the printing press and literacy among lay people.
;)

I wholeheartedly agree and... It is also indicative of the demise of organized religions.

The Information Age has become the 'death rattle' of the Gods.

December 29, 2010
Near-Record High See Religion Losing Influence in America

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145409/Near-Record...

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#151619 Feb 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I am addressing the topic, but there is no double standard.
God is not human & can't have superhuman powers.
Period.
Thats wonderful, except he keps pointing out that the comparison was with Jesus.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#151620 Feb 4, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
December 29, 2010
Near-Record High See Religion Losing Influence in America
http://www.gallup.com/poll/145409/Near-Record...
I find this one interesting..
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159785/rise-religi...

The "Nones" are 17.8% up from 14.6% in 2008, but the rate of growth has slowed.

But I think longer term will be heading to 30%, as the poll shows 18-29 age group figure is 27%. A higher proportion of young people do not have a religion.
Imhotep

United States

#151621 Feb 4, 2013
Edited for space:
<quoted text>
Here are a few more for your collection:
[1] "Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:19-20
[2] "His breasts are full of milk." - Job 21:24
[3] "If two men are fighting not so vile a thing. But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go." – Judges 19:24-25
[16] "So we boiled my son, and ate him. And on the next day I said to her,`Give your son, that we may eat him.' but she has hidden her son" (2 Kings 6:28-29)
[17]“The LORD will smite thee with the botch of Egypt, and with the emerods (hemorrhoids), and with the scab, and with the itch, whereof thou canst not be healed.”– Deuteronomy 28:27
LQTM !

The individuals that accept this are more disturbing than the book itself.

Few have read it and the clergy omit over 50% from discussion, in public, e.g. church.

There are ample passages that contain the worst of a God and should demand something more substantial than "mysterious ways" as a reason.

Faith is the great excuse for the inexcusable.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#151622 Feb 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
At the end of the day human beings are still just liddle kiddles with a pocketful of the things they found in this life. Emergent consciousnesses.
Makes for some very complicated interactions, sharing what they found, and the fascination they have with them.
I just wish these Topix atheists weren't so fond of piles of shit.
What makes you think we're fond of you?

:-)

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#151623 Feb 4, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think we're fond of you?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#151624 Feb 4, 2013
LucindaW wrote:
<quoted text>
Disadvantages of communicating on the Internet:
1) Lying online is much easier than it is face to face.
2) Hiding behind the anonymity of a computer gives people more courage to say things they wouldn't ordinarily say to someone in person.
3) You can't read body language online. You can't see how your words affect another.
4) Faceless communication online allows individuals to bypass a lot of shyness and awkwardness. Wallflowers can become stars in chat rooms.
5) The ability to develop alternative online personas provides a psychological escape for some people.
6) Many find more excitement in the virtual world than they do in their real lives!
7) Innuendo, intonation, and touch are all absent on the Internet.
8) Trading intimacies in chatrooms can lead to addictive and compulsive behaviors that can destroy relationships in the real world.
9) Anonymous bullying using several identities is much easier online. I believe people who engage in this practice are called flamers.
10) There can be no reciprocity communicating at a distance.
Pretty much all of your points can be boiled down to:

People can lie online so they do.

Which is fallacious. Anonymity allows people to not lie, that was the point I stated, but it's not true anonymity, which destroys several of your points as they contradict each other as well as that one simple fact.

Let's use me as an example. In the physical world I am myself, a very open and outspoken atheist, and I am asexual. When a male flirts with me, I tend to ignore it, and tell them no. Their "feelings" get hurt because they're trying to impress their "friends" so they make themselves get angry and begin calling me names, like "dyke" and other variants. I am strong and just ignore them, a few times the cops have offered to arrest guys for that but I tend to decline and just prefer they make fools of themselves anyway.

I also speak freely about being an atheist all the time, if I am traveling to somewhere with someone there's always that "shh, you shouldn't talk about such things" from them, always. People are more interested in their social "appearances" in the physical world than being honest, online you can find a racist/sexist/phobic person in a few posts and know you don't want to associate with them, and then avoid them. In the physical world you cannot avoid the toxic people.
bohart

Newport, TN

#151625 Feb 4, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Why because you say it? Hardly evidence that it isn't what happened, just the uneducated ass who hears something it doesn't like to hear.
The evidence clearly shows that life sprang from a set of conditions, and that it is not impossible, but is very probable.
Here we go again , the evidence clearly shows?, is very probable ? both are lies told to defend your faith.Denial , one of the main tenets of the puddle gooist church.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 20 min Eagle 12 2,272
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 30 min polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 6 hr Yiago 148
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 11 hr _Bad Company 141
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 12 hr thetruth 34
God' existence 12 hr thetruth 67
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists Fri Crazy Mess 1
More from around the web