Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#151557 Feb 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you truly think that, you're perpetually disconnected from society.
<quoted text>
We call that reality.
<quoted text>
See? You have no clue what's out there.
Perhaps it's just the town you live in that's full of those dullards.
You'll never know though, you remain hidden behind a screen.
I feel bad for you - you're missing out on life.
So you prefer not knowing what people really think or would really do in a given situation then trusting them.

Detail exactly what benefit you have when conversing "in person" over that of online.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#151558 Feb 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Detail exactly what benefit you have when conversing "in person" over that of online.
Disadvantages of communicating on the Internet:

1) Lying online is much easier than it is face to face.

2) Hiding behind the anonymity of a computer gives people more courage to say things they wouldn't ordinarily say to someone in person.

3) You can't read body language online. You can't see how your words affect another.

4) Faceless communication online allows individuals to bypass a lot of shyness and awkwardness. Wallflowers can become stars in chat rooms.

5) The ability to develop alternative online personas provides a psychological escape for some people.

6) Many find more excitement in the virtual world than they do in their real lives!

7) Innuendo, intonation, and touch are all absent on the Internet.

8) Trading intimacies in chatrooms can lead to addictive and compulsive behaviors that can destroy relationships in the real world.

9) Anonymous bullying using several identities is much easier online. I believe people who engage in this practice are called flamers.

10) There can be no reciprocity communicating at a distance.
bohart

Newport, TN

#151559 Feb 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Defend the impossible? No I'm here to discuss the possible vs impossible. Which leaves only the improbable, and
"once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." (Spock)
The only thing proven not to work, is your mind.
Spock! you comic uneducated ass , try Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Life springing into existence on its own is impossible, leaving what?
bohart

Newport, TN

#151560 Feb 3, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Where have you been?
Spending too much time in church instead of a library?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/...
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/
http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Intelligence%...
Praise the puddle of goo I'm converted, those 3 links absolutely have shown me that a swirling primordial gooish soup could fart life into being , and then crawl out of its goo to form all life .Yes Sir its the atheist life for me now.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#151561 Feb 3, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
There is NO out of context.
The Bible contains a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre, but we are not bound by any of it because it was put together by crude, uncultured goat herders.
Religious exhortation and telling people, telling children, that if they donít do the right thing, theyíll go to terrifying punishments or unbelievable rewards, thatís making a living out of lying to children.
Your religion is man-made. Even the men who made it cannot agree on what their prophets or redeemers or gurus actually said or did.
Judaism has some advantages over Christianity in that, for example, it does not proselytize, except among Jews and it does not make the cretinous mistake of saying that the Messiah has already made his appearance.
However, along with Islam and Christianity, it does insist that some turgid and contradictory and sometimes evil and mad texts, obviously written by fairly unexceptional humans, are in fact the word of god.
Right and atheism has this squeaky clean image in the last 100 years?

Man we are talking hundreds of millions have been slaughtered by atheist regimes. Many starved to death by their failed policies.

You would have a good argument if Atheism had a clean record but atheism doesnít. Itís bad and itís exceeds the numbers of those killed in biblical historic times by many thousands of times over.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#151562 Feb 3, 2013
Still waiting for the totalitarian who stated he was killing people in the name of atheism as the Salem witch trials burned people to death in the name of Jesus, with pride may I add. And waiting and waiting and waiting...... Zzzzzzz
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Man we are talking hundreds of millions have been slaughtered by atheist regimes. Many starved to death by their failed policies.
You would have a good argument if Atheism had a clean record but atheism doesnít. Itís bad and itís exceeds the numbers of those killed in biblical historic times by many thousands of times over.

Southern Illinois

#151563 Feb 3, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn
Spare me the sermon... The book speaks for itself. I've read it.
Utter nonsense, copied from older myths.
Much ado about nothing of substance.
The New Testament writer of the Gospel of John attempted to portray Jesus as a valid prophet who was predicted by Moses.
Linking Jesus to miracles was part of that process.
Then they evolve Jesus further by claiming he is now the NEW savior which people must believe in.
In doing so, these writers portray Jesus as giving instructions which contradict God's word in the Old Testament.
Because Jesus presumed to speak things in God's name which God NEVER commanded any of his prophets to say, Jesus qualifies as a false prophet.
Jesus was also put to death, fulfilling Deut 18:20.!
Christians are always proclaiming that Jesus fulfilled hundreds of Old Testament "prophecies" but you can be sure that the fulfillment of Deut 18:20 by Jesus is one example you won't hear Christians advertise to the world.
Yawn

Spare me your sermon, nothing new, itís all from atheist web sites. Nothing original, all old and lost arguments.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#151564 Feb 3, 2013
All atheists are narcissists

Since: Feb 13

Riverside , CA

#151565 Feb 3, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is very untrue, but what do you expect from a group that dont care about FACTS, Religion is responsible for just about every war in history not to mention the bigotry and lies religion spreads. Atheism may not have a perfect record because after all we are human but it dose have a far better repetition then religion ever will ....

Southern Illinois

#151566 Feb 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Daffy nobody is surprised that many of your bible myth heroes are products of incest. Just look at the insane sht they wrote! The earth is square flat and resting on top of pillars!
Lmfao!
So who was the strange Arab man who went into your Dad's hospital room and converted him to Islam? Was it Muhammad?:)
<quoted text>
Liars hate themselves. This is why they lie so the truth can be hid. For in their heart are deep seated secrets they want to keep hidden and buried under all those lies.

So what are you hiding?

This may explain the ugliness that you continuously expound.

Southern Illinois

#151567 Feb 3, 2013
trekx wrote:
<quoted text>
This is very untrue, but what do you expect from a group that dont care about FACTS, Religion is responsible for just about every war in history not to mention the bigotry and lies religion spreads. Atheism may not have a perfect record because after all we are human but it dose have a far better repetition then religion ever will ....
World War I - Religious? Not.

World War II- Religious? Not.

Korean War- Religious? Not.

Iraq War- Religious? Not.

American Revolution- Religious? Not.

War of 1812- Religious? Not.

War for Texas Independence- Religious? Not.

It looks like you have made some pretty exaggerated claims about nearly all wars are religious by nature.

Southern Illinois

#151568 Feb 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Still waiting for the totalitarian who stated he was killing people in the name of atheism as the Salem witch trials burned people to death in the name of Jesus, with pride may I add. And waiting and waiting and waiting...... Zzzzzzz
<quoted text>
Iím not a student of the Salem Witch Trials.

I do know about Stalin, Pol Pot and many other murderous communist leaders who killed hundreds of millions.

So how many millions died in the Salem Witch Trials?

Waiting,.....Zzzzzzzzz

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#151569 Feb 3, 2013

Riverside , CA

#151570 Feb 3, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
World War I - Religious?yes.
World War II- Religious?yes.
Korean War- Religious? yes.
Iraq War- Religious? yes.
American Revolution- Religious? yes.
War of 1812- Religious? yes.
War for Texas Independence- Religious? yes.
It looks like you have made some pretty exaggerated claims about nearly all wars are religious by nature.
Every war you mention did have a religious base. it may not have been your religion but it was some religion. dont believe me that's fine but the fact of the matter is that religion dose more harm then good and just reading the bible can show you that....

Southern Illinois

#151571 Feb 3, 2013
trekx wrote:
<quoted text>
Every war you mention did have a religious base. it may not have been your religion but it was some religion. dont believe me that's fine but the fact of the matter is that religion dose more harm then good and just reading the bible can show you that....
If you want to have credibility in your argument. Then you need to back up your claim with facts. We can start with WW I if you like and you explain to me why this was a religious war in your view.

One more I forgot to list was the Vietnam War. It wasnít a religious war either. Anyone can make these wild and exaggerated claims. Backing them up with real facts is difficult when the claim is baseless.

Riverside , CA

#151573 Feb 3, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to have credibility in your argument. Then you need to back up your claim with facts. We can start with WW I if you like and you explain to me why this was a religious war in your view.
One more I forgot to list was the Vietnam War. It wasnít a religious war either. Anyone can make these wild and exaggerated claims. Backing them up with real facts is difficult when the claim is baseless.
From my history book ...

Serbians who were mistreated by the Austrian Government who enforced higher taxes to pay for churches. So Austria invaded Serbia angering other countries which turned into everyone picking sides and fighting each other. So technically religion was a root cause of World War 1. And World War 2 was also mainly caused by religion. Primarily Catholicism cause these wars.
Just like most wars, World War 1 was started by religion.
Plus there are many other country's that have wars that dont involve America that are mostly religious ....

Riverside , CA

#151574 Feb 3, 2013
And lets not forget that Adolf Hitler was a Roman Catholic and responsible for the holocaust. So one religion trying to take out another ....

Riverside , CA

#151576 Feb 4, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

And come on Iraq War not religious?
Although most americans see it as a fight for oil (witch we all know how that goes) Islams see it as an attack on their religion. 9/11 was a religish attack and it lead to the war. tarriest are radical Muslims that want to kill all Americans because we dont share there religious views...

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#151577 Feb 4, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool.
I've seen that.
What's the climate there?
http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Nord-Tr%C3%B8nd...

:)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#151578 Feb 4, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
Eagle12 wrote:
My observations tell me that Atheism brings to a large portion bitterness, anger, mood swings, hostilities, sadness, spitefulness, oppression, depression, belligerency, atrociousness, close mindedness, hatefulness, twisting of facts, mendacious, bigotry and unhappiness to name a few.
Actually, as my post indicated, atheism is quite liberating:

"To the philosophy of atheism belongs the credit of robbing death of its horror and its terror. It brought about the abolition of Hell." - Joseph Lewis
Eagle12 wrote:
There seems to be this raging inferno that burns so hot in some Atheist that the only peace they get on earth is to condemn people of faith.
I mostly condemn ideas like faith and dogma, and institutions like the church - not people. I have no issue with individual Christians as Christians. I consider you to be a victim of the church as well, even more so than unbelievers.
Eagle12 wrote:
Where is all this freedom your talking about? They donít seem to have any peace. Why be so miserable?
I am very happy, and very grateful.
Eagle12 wrote:
Who in the hell wants to live like some of you Atheist? You are freaking miserable. Like a horse with a broken leg. It would be different if Atheist were happy and peaceful people but we see something different.
Ask us how we feel, don't tell us. Miserable people seek the solace of religion, which is why evangelists do so much better on Skid Row and Death Row than on Restaurant Row.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Mr Duplicity 1,010
Heaven 1 hr Mr Duplicity 3
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr _Bad Company 705
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 12 hr Dally Mama 5,587
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 16 hr Patrick 7
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 16 hr Patrick 152
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) Tue Patrick 140

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE