Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#151578 Feb 4, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
Eagle12 wrote:
My observations tell me that Atheism brings to a large portion bitterness, anger, mood swings, hostilities, sadness, spitefulness, oppression, depression, belligerency, atrociousness, close mindedness, hatefulness, twisting of facts, mendacious, bigotry and unhappiness to name a few.
Actually, as my post indicated, atheism is quite liberating:

"To the philosophy of atheism belongs the credit of robbing death of its horror and its terror. It brought about the abolition of Hell." - Joseph Lewis
Eagle12 wrote:
There seems to be this raging inferno that burns so hot in some Atheist that the only peace they get on earth is to condemn people of faith.
I mostly condemn ideas like faith and dogma, and institutions like the church - not people. I have no issue with individual Christians as Christians. I consider you to be a victim of the church as well, even more so than unbelievers.
Eagle12 wrote:
Where is all this freedom your talking about? They don’t seem to have any peace. Why be so miserable?
I am very happy, and very grateful.
Eagle12 wrote:
Who in the hell wants to live like some of you Atheist? You are freaking miserable. Like a horse with a broken leg. It would be different if Atheist were happy and peaceful people but we see something different.
Ask us how we feel, don't tell us. Miserable people seek the solace of religion, which is why evangelists do so much better on Skid Row and Death Row than on Restaurant Row.

Fennario

#151579 Feb 4, 2013
Mikko wrote:
“It must be quite galling for religious people to see atheists like me going about their business without a shred of guilt or self-loathing, and not in the least inclined to pray or to do penance of any kind, and not in the slightest bit worried about any form of eternal punishment. I have to admit if I was religious I'd probably think to myself: "How come I've got all this weight on my shoulders while these bums are getting a free ride?" – Condell
Good one.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#151580 Feb 4, 2013
trekx wrote:
<quoted text>
And come on Iraq War not religious?
Although most americans see it as a fight for oil (witch we all know how that goes) Islams see it as an attack on their religion. 9/11 was a religish attack and it lead to the war. tarriest are radical Muslims that want to kill all Americans because we dont share there religious views...
George Bush has claimed he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#151581 Feb 4, 2013
Mikko wrote:
Lol

Location hidden

#151582 Feb 4, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>George Bush has claimed he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq
George Bush is an idiot, and an embarrassment to white people everywhere.

Fennario

#151583 Feb 4, 2013
Benjamin Frankly wrote:
let me name a moral action towards another human being that can only be done by person with out faith. I can't

Now let's both of us name a evil action towards another human being that can only be done by person of faith. The suicide bombers

If Atheism really brings a large portion of evil our answers would not be the same as the above.
Good argument.

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. For good people to do evil things, it takes religion." – Nobelist Steven Weinberg
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#151584 Feb 4, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
George Bush is an idiot, and an embarrassment to white people everywhere.
lol. No argument there. Same could be said for a lot of the political elite.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#151585 Feb 4, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to have credibility in your argument. Then you need to back up your claim with facts. We can start with WW I if you like and you explain to me why this was a religious war in your view.
One more I forgot to list was the Vietnam War. It wasn’t a religious war either. Anyone can make these wild and exaggerated claims. Backing them up with real facts is difficult when the claim is baseless.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to have credibility in your argument. Then you need to back up your claim with facts.
LOL

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#151586 Feb 4, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>If you want to have credibility in your argument. Then you need to back up your claim with facts. We can start with WW I if you like and you explain to me why this was a religious war in your view.

One more I forgot to list was the Vietnam War. It wasnÂ’t a religious war either. Anyone can make these wild and exaggerated claims. Backing them up with real facts is difficult when the claim is baseless.
Pot, meet kettle.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#151587 Feb 4, 2013
Mikko wrote:
That's a cold day in Hell.

Fennario

#151588 Feb 4, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
The RCC has superb costumes, rituals and buildings that put the other cults to $hame..
Fabulous: http://bimshwel.com/yeep/pope-red.jpg [image]
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#151589 Feb 4, 2013
I've driven through Hell and onto the North Cape, hundreds of miles North of the Arctic Circle. Lovely part of the world.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a cold day in Hell.

Location hidden

#151590 Feb 4, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>lol. No argument there. Same could be said for a lot of the political elite.
LMAO! You ain't even lying. Billy Connolly once said of Ole W that the thing he found most disturbing about his inability to pronounce the word "nuclear" was the fact that he was sitting next to the button.

Fennario

#151591 Feb 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your sorry ass think this is a "social arena" and we're being "social"?!
Yes.

You're confusing two similar and related words:

Social - of or relating to human society, the interaction of the individual and the group, or the welfare of human beings as members of society

Sociable - marked by or conducive to friendliness or pleasant social relations
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#151592 Feb 4, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO! You ain't even lying. Billy Connolly once said of Ole W that the thing he found most disturbing about his inability to pronounce the word "nuclear" was the fact that he was sitting next to the button.
I dont trust the current lot either. Just look at the expansion of the drone war. And current wars in Afghanistan and Mali. I'm not saying there is necessarily an agenda going on, but that our leaders maybe are not acting in either an honest or rational way.
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#151594 Feb 4, 2013
I'd rather deploy drones than see our guys get their legs blown off.
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont trust the current lot either. Just look at the expansion of the drone war. And current wars in Afghanistan and Mali. I'm not saying there is necessarily an agenda going on, but that our leaders maybe are not acting in either an honest or rational way.

Fennario

#151595 Feb 4, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken
"Obviously I'd like to show more respect to people's sincerely held beliefs, of course I would. But unfortunately that would violate my own sincerely held belief that religion is a filthy lie and a threat to civilization, so you can see the problem I've got with that." -Pat Condell

Fennario

#151596 Feb 4, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
David was guilty of conspiracy, murdering a career military officer so he could have his wife, lying, deception, adultery. Yet God forgave him.

Jeffery Dahmer was an evil atheist of the worst sort. God gave him his right mind and forgave him.
Nobody can forgive somebody for the offenses that they committed against another person. People who seek forgiveness from a god are really just forgiving themselves.

Fennario

#151597 Feb 4, 2013
Edited for space:
Imhotep wrote:
The LORD shall smite thee with a consumption, and with a fever, and with an inflammation, and with an extreme burning, and with the sword, and with blasting, and with mildew; and they shall pursue thee until thou perish.--Deuteronomy 28:22
Nice
Ye shall eat fat till ye be full, and drink blood till ye be drunken, of my sacrifice which I have sacrificed for you.--Ezekiel 39:19
Nice?
Sick, disgusting , you should be ashamed.
Here are a few more for your collection:

[1] "Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:19-20

[2] "His breasts are full of milk." - Job 21:24

[3] "If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity." - Deuteronomy 25:11-12

[4]“And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight." - Ezekiel 4:12

[5]“The fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers.”- Ezekiel 5:10

[6]“As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.”- Proverbs 26:11

[7]“Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces.”- Mal.2:3

[8]“But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning.”- Judges 19:25

[9] "And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them." - Kings 2:23-24

[10]“But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?”- 2 Kings 18:27

[11]”Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.”– Hosea 13:15

[12]“Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father”- Genesis 19:32

[13] "And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat." -“Leviticus 26:29

[14]“Through the wrath of the LORD of hosts is the land darkened, and the people shall be as the fuel of the fire: no man shall spare his brother. And he shall snatch on the right hand, and be hungry; and he shall eat on the left hand, and they shall not be satisfied: they shall eat every man the flesh of his own arm.”= Isaiah 9:19-20

[15] "Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing. But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go." – Judges 19:24-25

[16] "So we boiled my son, and ate him. And on the next day I said to her,`Give your son, that we may eat him.' but she has hidden her son" (2 Kings 6:28-29)

[17]“The LORD will smite thee with the botch of Egypt, and with the emerods (hemorrhoids), and with the scab, and with the itch, whereof thou canst not be healed.”– Deuteronomy 28:27

Fennario

#151599 Feb 4, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
Taking scripture out of context is what you militant atheist are so notorious for. For example Deuteronomy 28 Verse 1-13 tells the positive and good things God will do for his people if they obey him. Verse 13 - 68 tells what happens if they don’t obey him.
We're militant?

That doesn't seem a little disproportionate to you - 13 verses of "positive and good things" and 56 verses of threats? Pat Condell to the rescue again:

"All three desert dogmas are variations on the same death cult. And they all worship this same god of supposed love and benevolent mercy, which is presumably why they hate each other with such a violent passion. I don't know, you'd have to ask them that.

"Look at the treatment dished out to Adam and Eve, the very first people on the planet. They were punished for being true to their nature, the very nature that God endowed them with. He knew they were curious, he knew they had to be curious to survive, so he knew that they would eat that apple. A cynical person might start to suspect that God only created us in the first place in order to punish us. Because this is the first lesson we learn in Genesis, that being human is a sin.

"We were punished and driven from paradise for the sin of being true to our nature, but we pulled ourselves together and we started on the tower of Babel, because we wanted to get up to Heaven and have a look around. We were being curious, doing what comes naturally, but God didn't like that much either, so he punished us by destroying our language.

"So here we are, we're barely just a few pages into the Bible and already we've taken two massive body blows from our loving and merciful god. Shortly after this he floods the entire planet because somebody must have looked at him the wrong way. He does tip off one person to build a boat, because obviously he doesn't want everyone wiped out, otherwise there'd be nobody left to punish.

"In Deuteronomy 13, according to God, if you hear of a city where another god is worshipped you must kill everybody in that city; men, women, children, babies, even cattle. And then you must burn that city to the ground.

"Oh, and by the way, thou shalt not kill."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 28 min Mr_SKY 6,283
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Dogen 17,900
News Atheist monument to counter ten commandments (Jul '13) 5 hr Patrick n Angela 15
News The Consequences of Atheism 8 hr thetruth 1,106
News 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma (Jul '13) 8 hr thetruth 7,547
News Evolution is a philosophical humanistic religio... 10 hr geezerjock 1
how the athiest created in the world ? 12 hr Thinking 2
More from around the web