Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#151497 Feb 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless, you really should spend more time trying to get in touch with your true self. From there it would be nothing but upwards for you.
There's no such thing as god, get it through your thick brainwashed skull.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#151498 Feb 3, 2013
Hey tell us again how historians aren't scholars! That's a hoot!

Come on we all laugh at you anyways might as well dance for us!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your sorry ass think this is a "social arena" and we're being "social"?!

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#151499 Feb 3, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the exact same thing.
There is a claim that is absurd/impossible. The claim is rejected for being absurd/impossible. The claimant says "It's not absurd/impossible for a superhuman/god."
<quoted text>
I'm not closed-minded. I'm skeptical. You're gullible.
No it is not the same thing. God is not human and doesn't possess any human powers or human abilities, only humans possesses human powers and human abilities, so therefore only a human can have superhuman powers.

Why the hell is that so hard to understand?

Location hidden

#151500 Feb 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Hey tell us again how historians aren't scholars! That's a hoot!
Come on we all laugh at you anyways might as well dance for us!
<quoted text>
It's pretty sad that you think pressing keys on a keyboard or tapping buttons on a device is being "social".

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#151501 Feb 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you deny we have one?
There are an infinite number of creators.

If there is one, then there has to be an infinite number of them.

Or none.

I'll go with none.

You keep looking for yours.

He might be in the next fart bubble.

Location hidden

#151502 Feb 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
There are an infinite number of creators.
If there is one, then there has to be an infinite number of them.
How have you come to this glorious assumption?
Imhotep

United States

#151503 Feb 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless, you really should spend more time trying to get in touch with your true self. From there it would be nothing but upwards for you.
Why do you to have such a persistent sense of inadequacy?
Is your faith this crippling to your psyche?
You're tendency to self-diminishment is astounding... but we do agree on quality guitarists!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Stephen Roberts

You know your god is man-made when he hates all the same people you do.
--[from Usenet]

You are probably a youngster Dave, so you may not know of HL Mencken.

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#151504 Feb 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not the same thing, not at all. God isn't human and can't be "superhuman"....
I understand that you closed minded atheists have a need to turn everything into children's stories, but that doesn't make it true.
Hmmm, just had a thought. doesn't your bible say your god created man in his image????

then doesn't that make us all gods?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#151505 Feb 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No it is not the same thing. God is not human and doesn't possess any human powers or human abilities, only humans possesses human powers and human abilities, so therefore only a human can have superhuman powers.
Why the hell is that so hard to understand?
You're creating an COMPLETELY ARBITRARY distinction.

I said I knew a guy who could shoot lasers.
You didn't believe me because humans can't shoot lasers.
I said the rules don't apply because he's a superhuman, not a regular human.

If I had said the rules don't apply because he's a god, not a regular human, that's the SAME ARGUMENT. And it's the SAME ARGUMENT you're making for Jesus.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#151506 Feb 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You fool.
You are welcome to Hell in Norway ;)

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#151507 Feb 3, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you to have such a persistent sense of inadequacy?
Is your faith this crippling to your psyche?
You're tendency to self-diminishment is astounding... but we do agree on quality guitarists!
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Stephen Roberts
You know your god is man-made when he hates all the same people you do.
--[from Usenet]
You are probably a youngster Dave, so you may not know of HL Mencken.
"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken
:-)

Your astuteness regarding my age is remarkable.

But I won't remark on it.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#151508 Feb 3, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
You are welcome to Hell in Norway ;)

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#151509 Feb 3, 2013
Benjamin Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>
"My observations tell me that Atheism brings to a large portion bitterness, anger, mood swings, hostilities, sadness, spitefulness, oppression, depression, belligerency, atrociousness, close mindedness, hatefulness, twisting of facts, mendacious, bigotry and unhappiness to name a few."
Lets put that to the test.
A good retort except there are crimes that have been done by Atheist that aren’t typically done by people of faith.

Let’s start with cannibalism of young boys for example. Oh bombing Red Cross Hospitals, killing hundreds of millions of people through starvation, killing people who were intelligent, killing people wearing glasses, killing people who could speak another language.

All of those crimes were done at the hands of Atheist. So you see Atheism has a far greater criminal and horrid past against humanity than you can imagine. Hundreds of millions have died in the last 100 years because of Atheist ideology. It does seem to appear that atheism has this very dark side that Atheist don’t like to see.

Jeffrey Dahmer, an infamous serial killer and atheist sentenced to 900 years in prison.He brutally killed seventeen men and boys, dismembering them, storing their parts and indulging in cannibalism and necrophilia.

Mussolini is notorious for his war crimes as a Fascist dictator during World War II. As a young man he openly declared his atheism. Mussolini supported Hitler’s conquest of Austria. In 1935, he invaded Ethiopia, using poison gas, bombing Red Cross hospitals and concentration camps to kill civilians and destroy “inferior” cultures.

Mao Zedong led the Communist Party of China to victory in the Chinese Civil War, helping to establish the People’s Republic of China. He has been blamed for the death of between 20 and 67 million of his “comrades”. His “Great Leap Forward” triggered a catastrophic and massive famine.

Pol Pot was the leader of the Khmer Rouge and Prime Minister of Cambodia from 1976 to 1979, having been de facto leader since mid-1975. During his time in power Pol Pot imposed an extreme version of agrarian communism, where all city dwellers were relocated to the countryside to work in collective farms and forced labour projects. The combined effect of slave labour, malnutrition, poor medical care and executions is estimated to have killed around 2 million Cambodians (approximately one third of the population). His regime achieved special notoriety by singling out all intellectuals, and other “bourgeois enemies”, for murder. The Khmer Rouge committed mass executions in sites known as the Killing Fields, and the executed were buried in mass graves. In order to save ammunition, executions were often carried out using hammers, axe handles, spades or sharpened bamboo sticks. His attempts to “cleanse” the country resulted in the deaths of 1.7 to 2.5 million people. He also had an intense dislike of anyone with the semblance of being intelligent, such as those who wore glasses or who spoke another language.

Stalin was General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union’s Central Committee, from 1922 until his death in 1953. Under Stalin’s leadership, the Ukraine suffered a famine (Holodomor) so great it is considered by many to be an act of genocide on the part of Stalin’s government. Estimates of the number of deaths range from 2.5 million to 10 million. The famine was caused by direct political and administrative decisions. In addition to the famine, Stalin ordered purges within the Soviet Union of any person deemed to be an enemy of the state (i.e. capitalists, theists). In total, estimates of the total number murdered under Stalin’s reign, range from 10 million to 60 million. His government promoted atheism with mass propaganda in school, and held a terror campaign against the religious.

http://listverse.com/2010/06/05/10-people-who...

Southern Illinois

#151510 Feb 3, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no such thing as god, get it through your thick brainwashed skull.
There's no such thing as no god, get it through your thick brainwashed skull.

Location hidden

#151511 Feb 3, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no such thing as no god, get it through your thick brainwashed skull.
God holds on to his guns.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#151512 Feb 3, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>A good retort except there are crimes that have been done by Atheist that arenÂ’t typically done by people of faith.

LetÂ’s start with cannibalism of young boys for example. Oh bombing Red Cross Hospitals, killing hundreds of millions of people through starvation, killing people who were intelligent, killing people wearing glasses, killing people who could speak another language.

All of those crimes were done at the hands of Atheist. So you see Atheism has a far greater criminal and horrid past against humanity than you can imagine. Hundreds of millions have died in the last 100 years because of Atheist ideology. It does seem to appear that atheism has this very dark side that Atheist donÂ’t like to see.

Jeffrey Dahmer, an infamous serial killer and atheist sentenced to 900 years in prison.He brutally killed seventeen men and boys, dismembering them, storing their parts and indulging in cannibalism and necrophilia.

Mussolini is notorious for his war crimes as a Fascist dictator during World War II. As a young man he openly declared his atheism. Mussolini supported Hitler’s conquest of Austria. In 1935, he invaded Ethiopia, using poison gas, bombing Red Cross hospitals and concentration camps to kill civilians and destroy “inferior” cultures.

Mao Zedong led the Communist Party of China to victory in the Chinese Civil War, helping to establish the People’s Republic of China. He has been blamed for the death of between 20 and 67 million of his “comrades”. His “Great Leap Forward” triggered a catastrophic and massive famine.

Pol Pot was the leader of the Khmer Rouge and Prime Minister of Cambodia from 1976 to 1979, having been de facto leader since mid-1975. During his time in power Pol Pot imposed an extreme version of agrarian communism, where all city dwellers were relocated to the countryside to work in collective farms and forced labour projects. The combined effect of slave labour, malnutrition, poor medical care and executions is estimated to have killed around 2 million Cambodians (approximately one third of the population). His regime achieved special notoriety by singling out all intellectuals, and other “bourgeois enemies”, for murder. The Khmer Rouge committed mass executions in sites known as the Killing Fields, and the executed were buried in mass graves. In order to save ammunition, executions were often carried out using hammers, axe handles, spades or sharpened bamboo sticks. His attempts to “cleanse” the country resulted in the deaths of 1.7 to 2.5 million people. He also had an intense dislike of anyone with the semblance of being intelligent, such as those who wore glasses or who spoke another language.

Stalin was General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet UnionÂ’s Central Committee, from 1922 until his death in 1953. Under StalinÂ’s leadership, the Ukraine suffered a famine (Holodomor) so great it is considered by many to be an act of genocide on the part of StalinÂ’s government. Estimates of the number of deaths range from 2.5 million to 10 million. The famine was caused by direct political and administrative decisions. In addition to the famine, Stalin ordered purges within the Soviet Union of any person deemed to be an enemy of the state (i.e. capitalists, theists). In total, estimates of the total number murdered under StalinÂ’s reign, range from 10 million to 60 million. His government promoted atheism with mass propaganda in school, and held a terror campaign against the religious.

http://listverse.com/2010/06/05/10-people-who...
Dahmer converted and was saved.

According to your religion, he's in heaven now.

Nice.
Imhotep

United States

#151513 Feb 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
Your astuteness regarding my age is remarkable.
But I won't remark on it.
Cheer up!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...

Some brandy...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/jkk2mMq2x8E...

Super Bowl popcorn

http://www.youtube.com/embed/F73EcycGCO8...

I miss Stevie

Southern Illinois

#151515 Feb 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Dahmer converted and was saved.
According to your religion, he's in heaven now.
Nice.
Saul was a gang leader, murder, and terrorist. He was changed (Apostle Paul) and became a minister for Christ.

Moses was guilty of murdering a Federal Officer. Yet God chose him to lead his people.

David was guilty of conspiracy, murdering a career military officer so he could have his wife, lying, deception, adultery. Yet God forgave him.

Sampson was guilty of being a womanizer, fraternizing with the enemy. In the end God restored him.

Jeffery Dahmer was an evil atheist of the worst sort. God gave him his right mind and forgave him.

nice

Location hidden

#151516 Feb 3, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Saul was a gang leader, murder, and terrorist. He was changed (Apostle Paul) and became a minister for Christ.
Moses was guilty of murdering a Federal Officer. Yet God chose him to lead his people.
David was guilty of conspiracy, murdering a career military officer so he could have his wife, lying, deception, adultery. Yet God forgave him.
Sampson was guilty of being a womanizer, fraternizing with the enemy. In the end God restored him.
Jeffery Dahmer was an evil atheist of the worst sort. God gave him his right mind and forgave him.
nice
So..... you forgave Jeffery, for eating your daughter. I would not.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#151517 Feb 3, 2013
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm, just had a thought. doesn't your bible say your god created man in his image????
then doesn't that make us all gods?
It does indeed. We are co-creators with God, spirit made flesh. The kingdom of God is within. Ye are the temple of God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Islam for peace, or violence? 3 hr Uncle Sam 32
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Uncle Sam 1,036
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 10 hr Chiclets 22,987
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 22 hr Thinking 90
Man center of the universe. 22 hr Thinking 87
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Oct 17 Thinking 6
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 16 Mikko 1,401

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE