Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#151416 Feb 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
ALl those dummies in Canada...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Canada
Did you think that this shows a growth of Christianity in Canada? It doesn't. It shows that the population of Canada is becoming increasingly non-Christian just as it is in America.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#151417 Feb 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be interesting.
I'll bring Bud & a gun.
That a threat?

Fennario

#151418 Feb 2, 2013
BBSting wrote:
when facing feelings of helplessness, people always gravitate towards messages of hope, which religion offers.
Your religion creates that feeling of helplessness and dependency. It teaches that man is defective and useless without a god. It teaches that life is meaningless and purposeless without this god in direct contradiction to the testimony of irreligious people everywhere.

Christianity is infantilizing. It fosters it with a culture of immaturity and stunted development, one that fosters obedience and submission over autonomy and self actualization. If fosters dependence, vulnerability, inferiority, helplessness, and fear - all childlike states.

Your love of god is childish and self-serving like a child's love - done for your own benefit, and not for the benefit of the object of your love. That is not mature, adult love.

Don't take if from me. Take it from one of your own:

"The church doesn't like for people to grow up, because you can't control grown-ups. That's why we talk about being born again. When you're 'born again' you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up." - Bishop John Shelby Spong

And the reason for that is this:

"Religion is always in the control business and that's something people don't really understand. It's in the guilt-producing, control business.... and so they create this fiery place which has quite literally scared the hell out of a lot of people throughout christian history. And it's part of a control tactic" - Bishop John Shelby Spong

Fennario

#151419 Feb 2, 2013
BBSting wrote:
If death takes the people you love suddenly, it is reassuring to know that they continue to exist and are at peace.
There is no reason why you should need to face reality if it frightens you:

BENEFITS OF BEING A CHRISTIAN

[1] Perhaps you are terrified of dying. If so, consider Christianity. There's no need to face the likelihood that death is the end if it troubles you. Believe, and poof! All gone!

[2] Or perhaps you are afraid to walk down the street without a omniscient, omnipotent, magic protector watching over you 24/7. Consider Christianity.

[3] Or maybe you're lonely or feeling unloved, and just need to talk to somebody, but there's nobody there. Consider Christianity. You can mutter to the ceiling fan all day and believe that it's listening.

[4] Or maybe you're tired of being the universe's doormat, and you just need to feel special, as if the whole universe was made for you, and knows who you are and really, really, really cares. Consider Christianity.

[5] Christianity also offers you the ability to feel morally superior to nonbelievers by teaching that nonbeliever's lives have no meaning, purpose or moral basis. They will be flushed into a lake of fire for disagreeing with you. Thus, Christianity fulfills any revenge or snuff urges you might have.

[6] Or maybe you suffer from crushing guilt or shame. No need. Lay it at the cross. They have forgiveness on demand – just mutter to the ceiling fan and demand yours. How’s that for accountability?

[7] Or maybe you miss Aunt Esther terribly and you just can't adjust to the reality of her death. Consider Christianity. Oh look up in the clouds! There she is!

Fennario

#151420 Feb 2, 2013
BBSting wrote:
What can atheism offer the bereaved but empty consolations? "Sorry folks, that's all there is. Eat, drink and be merry because tomorrow you may be next."
BENEFITS OF LIVING WITHOUT RELIGION

[1] Hope for man and the world. When I was a Christian, I thought we were all goners. It was always the end times, and we were all praying for Jesus to come again and destroy the earth. But now, I know that it is possible that man can go on until he evolves into something better, and then again.

[2] Freedom from fear of damnation. Freedom from fear of hell. Freedom from fear of Satan. Freedom from fear of demons and devils. Freedom from fear of my own thoughts.

[3] Freedom from the infantilizing nanny god, a very prudish, judgmental, authoritarian, smiting, and panty-sniffing god.

[4] When a cute little doe-eyed girl dies of leukemia sometime later today (and one will somewhere), you'll have the comfort of knowing that it was just rotten luck, and not something caused by or allowed to happen by any ghost.

[5] Respect for life, earth and the universe. Christianity teaches that animals are soulless meat bags to be exploited as man sees fit. Then it teaches that the whole material world including earth is made of a base substance - matter - which is only transitory. Christianity demeans the material world enough to make the word "worldly" an insult.

[6] Freedom from an inferior intellectual system that despises science and erudition, and robs the victim of the sense of the sense of mystery, grandeur, awe and connection that a scientific education entails. "We are stardust. We are golden. We are billion year old carbon."

[7] Freedom from an inferior ethic that defines love in terms of torture and crucifixion, and a pardon from eternal torment by an infinitely evil devil. The moral structure is deformed: Faith, obedience, worship and piety are not virtues. Integrity, autonomy, responsibility, courage and compassion are.

[8] Respect for mankind. Christianity teaches that man is unworthy, inherently flawed, retched, unworthy, and lucky as hell to be tolerated by the god. Christianity demeans man enough to make the phrase "the flesh" an insult. You can cast that gloom away.

[9] Relief from thousands of hours pointlessly wasted in churches, praying, and reading the bible. I also got to keep the 10% of my income that I was giving to the priests and their children instead of my own, which I calculated was about five to eight years income - the approximate amount I retired with.
Imhotep

Brandon, FL

#151422 Feb 2, 2013
Public Service

With the First Church of Atheism you can become ordained quickly, easily, and at no cost.As a legally ordained minister, you will be able to perform weddings, funerals, commitment ceremonies, and other functions that are reserved for members of clergy.

Get Ordained Today!
Tax exempt!

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#151423 Feb 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
[1] Hope for man and the world. When I was a Christian, I thought we were all goners. It was always the end times, and we were all praying for Jesus to come again and destroy the earth. But now, I know that it is possible that man can go on until he evolves into something better, and then again.
[2] Freedom from fear of damnation. Freedom from fear of hell. Freedom from fear of Satan. Freedom from fear of demons and devils. Freedom from fear of my own thoughts.
[3] Freedom from the infantilizing nanny god, a very prudish, judgmental, authoritarian, smiting, and panty-sniffing god.
[4] When a cute little doe-eyed girl dies of leukemia sometime later today (and one will somewhere), you'll have the comfort of knowing that it was just rotten luck, and not something caused by or allowed to happen by any ghost.
[5] Respect for life, earth and the universe. Christianity teaches that animals are soulless meat bags to be exploited as man sees fit. Then it teaches that the whole material world including earth is made of a base substance - matter - which is only transitory. Christianity demeans the material world enough to make the word "worldly" an insult.
[6] Freedom from an inferior intellectual system that despises science and erudition, and robs the victim of the sense of the sense of mystery, grandeur, awe and connection that a scientific education entails. "We are stardust. We are golden. We are billion year old carbon."
[7] Freedom from an inferior ethic that defines love in terms of torture and crucifixion, and a pardon from eternal torment by an infinitely evil devil. The moral structure is deformed: Faith, obedience, worship and piety are not virtues. Integrity, autonomy, responsibility, courage and compassion are.
[8] Respect for mankind. Christianity teaches that man is unworthy, inherently flawed, retched, unworthy, and lucky as hell to be tolerated by the god. Christianity demeans man enough to make the phrase "the flesh" an insult. You can cast that gloom away.
[9] Relief from thousands of hours pointlessly wasted in churches, praying, and reading the bible. I also got to keep the 10% of my income that I was giving to the priests and their children instead of my own, which I calculated was about five to eight years income - the approximate amount I retired with.
Nice sales job but the goods your selling is tainted.
My observations tell me that Atheism brings to a large portion bitterness, anger, mood swings, hostilities, sadness, spitefulness, oppression, depression, belligerency, atrociousness, close mindedness, hatefulness, twisting of facts, mendacious, bigotry and unhappiness to name a few.

There seems to be this raging inferno that burns so hot in some Atheist that the only peace they get on earth is to condemn people of faith. Where is all this freedom your talking about? They don’t seem to have any peace. Why be so miserable? But I’m telling by reading these threads that’s what’s being displayed.

Who in the hell wants to live like some of you Atheist? You are freaking miserable. Like a horse with a broken leg. It would be different if Atheist were happy and peaceful people but we see something different.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#151424 Feb 2, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice sales job but the goods your selling is tainted.
I won't condemn you, you person of faith you.

But it's you're (contraction), not your (possessive).

And goods are, not goods is.

I'm freaking miserable, having to read your almost illiterate posts.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#151425 Feb 2, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
1 The fool[a] says in his heart,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
there is no one who does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven
on all mankind
to see if there are any who understand,
any who seek God.
3 All have turned away, all have become corrupt;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.
4 Do all these evildoers know nothing?
They devour my people as though eating bread;
they never call on the Lord.
5 But there they are, overwhelmed with dread,
for God is present in the company of the righteous.
6 You evildoers frustrate the plans of the poor,
but the Lord is their refuge.
7 Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion!
When the Lord restores his people,
let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad!
whoever says,‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#151426 Feb 2, 2013
“It must be quite galling for religious people to see atheists like me going about their business without a shred of guilt or self-loathing, and not in the least inclined to pray or to do penance of any kind, and not in the slightest bit worried about any form of eternal punishment. I have to admit if I was religious I'd probably think to myself: "How come I've got all this weight on my shoulders while these bums are getting a free ride?" – Condell

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#151427 Feb 2, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Atheist meetings are at my house.

Third Wednesday of every month.

7:00pm

Bring beer.
Posted else where by derek4

February 4, 2011

Church, without God

“Stan Bradley likes Bible stories, admires Martin Luther and uses expressions such as 'heavens, no.'

The Lithopolis man is president of a local congregation and rarely misses a Sunday service. Occasionally, he goes to his wife's church instead.

For these and other reasons, Bradley considers himself religious.”

He is also an atheist.

continued:

“Like Bradley, some atheists participate in organized religion for its social and psychological benefits.”

continued:

“Churches are great places to find friends, support and youth education, so nonbelievers and believers alike join congregations to fill those needs, he said.

He has spoken to elderly and sick people who can no longer go to church and they say they most miss the feeling of community.

Recent research from Harvard University and the University of Wisconsin backs him up. It found that religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people, not because of belief but because of the friendships found at church.”
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/faith...

“religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people”[I have said this all along, and my posts are still on the board to confirm it. Now you hear it straight from the atheist, lol.]

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#151428 Feb 2, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/faith...
“religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people”[I have said this all along, and my posts are still on the board to confirm it. Now you hear it straight from the atheist, lol.]
Actually, that's not what it states at all. Sadly though, you didn't actually read it.

Location hidden

#151429 Feb 2, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>I did it on a gas stove with some hard boiled eggs I forgot about once.

Damn things just disappeared along with all the water.

Then I looked up...
LOL

Then you looked up.:)

I know what you mean.

Location hidden

#151430 Feb 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Well, according to the Necronomicon, the fool says in his heart that Cthulhu is not real. Since your bible has zero evidence supporting it, I'll go with the Necronomicon on this one.
You know the movie 50 first dates?

You're that woman, you can't remember anything.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#151431 Feb 2, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You know the movie 50 first dates?
You're that woman, you can't remember anything.
So, you cannot refute the Necronomicon, thus it is fact and Cthulhu is the true god. You should now follow the rituals and brand yourself with the Elder Signs to show you are a worshiper to the Deep Ones when they come to reclaim the land for their father.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#151432 Feb 2, 2013
Your Kish kush cush ham connection is pure fantasy. Babylon= so what?

So the bible mentions actual places? This proves what? Writings of Zeus contain real places as well so does he exist?

Apologetic time wasting and dreaming, nothing more.
socci wrote:
Turn your TV o-f-f: GENESIS older than Sumer tablets!
Babylon and the Bible
by Professor Walter J. Veith, PhD
Two hundred years ago, scholars doubted whether Babylon ever existed.
Sumeria is located in the Land of Kish (Kush or Cush) founded by son of Noah's son Ham.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kish_%28Sumer%29

http://archive.org/details/WhoWroteTheBookOfG...

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#151433 Feb 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you cannot refute the Necronomicon, thus it is fact and Cthulhu is the true god. You should now follow the rituals and brand yourself with the Elder Signs to show you are a worshiper to the Deep Ones when they come to reclaim the land for their father.

Let us gather for the passing of Shai-Hulud , who we will ride to victory.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#151434 Feb 2, 2013
Want some sandwich board so you can pace the streets screaming the end is nigh? Tinfoil hat perhaps?
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
Bahr Yussef (Canal of Joseph) The Bahr Yussef is believed to have been built under the Israelite patriarch Joseph when he was vizier for Thutmosis III.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahr_Yussef
Joseph, one of Jacob's twelve sons of the twelve tribes of Israel.
Bible says ...
Hebrews were captive in Egypt
Hebrews built the Pyramids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ErWkaaq3sX8XX
pyramid building machine ..
http://pinkoski.com/pyramid-machine.html

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#151435 Feb 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
A reformed Christian, eh? LOL! No need for long rambling comments when the truth is obvious. Since atheists believe they came from nothing, they ARE nothing and therefore have nothing of value to offer.

An ex Christian! Who woulda thunk?

Amazing Atheism, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, and STILL can't see!

LMAO!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#151436 Feb 2, 2013
http://www.the-top-tens.com/items/buckethead-...

The comments in that article are THE TRUTH. What they say about the man just approaches his true magnificence.

But there will be some idiot Topix atheist that will deny it. Just to be spiteful and obnoxious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 19 min Gillette 1,044
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 1 hr Friend of all 14,455
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 6 hr thetruth 29
Young atheists: The political leaders of tomorrow 6 hr thetruth 6
Why Christians should stick up for atheists 6 hr thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 17 hr QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 23 hr Richardfs 1,423

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE