Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#151112 Jan 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God is not lost, you misunderstand.
I expect no less from an atheist, though.
Keep up the "good" work.
Not an atheist. Just skeptical toward ridiculous claims.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#151113 Jan 31, 2013
The_Box wrote:
Is claimed to have, yes.
"claimed"? It's part of our recorded history, it's no claim.
I'm not. There's no reason to actually believe he did any of those things. That's choosing superstition over reason.
You don't get to choose whether or not you want to "believe" history.
Your argument could be applied to every religious claim. How does Zeus cause lightning? Well, you just can't comprehend how he does it!
You're skipping over the fact that there's no good reason to believe Zeus throws lightning or Jesus resurrected to begin with. It's delusion.
Where was it written that Zeus threw lightning?

Where's the Zeus bible?

(good luck finding it)

Zeus and his ilk have gone down in history as myth.

Jesus is a prominant role in the lives of many people worldwide.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#151114 Jan 31, 2013
ThePlayfulDragon wrote:
"The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"
Actually, it is. Think about it. Compare that comment to this one, which is correct: The absence of proof is not proof of absence.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#151115 Jan 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"claimed"? It's part of our recorded history, it's no claim.
It's no more 'recorded history' than Muhammad meeting Allah or Buddha achieving Nirvana or Joseph Smith talking to angels.

These are religious CLAIMS; not historical facts.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You don't get to choose whether or not you want to "believe" history.
It's not history.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Where was it written that Zeus threw lightning?
Where's the Zeus bible?
Homer and Hesiod both wrote about Zeus.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Zeus and his ilk have gone down in history as myth.
Jesus is a prominant role in the lives of many people worldwide.
Times changes. In the past, people thought Zeus was real just like they do Jesus now. And in the future, Jesus will be regarded as a myth, like Zeus is today.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#151116 Jan 31, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
sorry, this belief requires more faith than I can muster
Perhaps if you learned some basic science, you wouldn't have such difficulty understanding how the world works. This isn't faith. it is evidence-based deduction.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#151117 Jan 31, 2013
The_Box wrote:
It's no more 'recorded history' than Muhammad meeting Allah or Buddha achieving Nirvana or Joseph Smith talking to angels.
These are religious CLAIMS; not historical facts.
Yes, Islamic claims are just that, claims. Thanks!
It's not history.
Yes it is.
Homer and Hesiod both wrote about Zeus.
Funny atheist. You believe that a man named Homer actually existed & you take that as history but you fight back against people like Matthew, Mark & John.....
You can put your foot in your mouth whenever you're ready.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#151118 Jan 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were born in a muslim family in an islamic country, you'd believe their stories instead. FACT!

Location hidden

#151119 Jan 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So are Christian claims, Mormon claims, Hindu claims, Buddhist claims, Scientologist claims, etc.

They're all claims. Nothing more. You have no good evidence that Jesus performed any of those miracles.

You are delusional.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Funny atheist. You believe that a man named Homer actually existed
Homer did exist. It is name assigned to the person who wrote the Iliad and Odyssey. There are questions about when those writings took place and how much responsibility he had in their writings, but really that's all moot.

The point was that Zeus, like Jesus, was written about.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
& you take that as history but you fight back against people like Matthew, Mark & John.....
The Gospels were written by anonymous authors half a century after the events in question and 3/4 are not even independent.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You can put your foot in your mouth whenever you're ready.
Maybe when you manage to make a single good argument.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#151120 Jan 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So are Christian claims.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#151121 Jan 31, 2013
http://www.scientificexploration.org/edgescie...

Download the pdf of the magazine and read the article about Einstein and E=MC2. The article is in understandable English for the most part.

Note momentum. That is a property of motion.

You might peruse some other articles in there.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#151122 Jan 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, that place don't represent Riverside very well. It's made for city folks to come down & spend $12 on a beer :)
You should visit Engal's Park in Norco during Rodeo week.$2 beers.
I'm not into dirt, Bud or paper cups.
bohart

Newport, TN

#151123 Jan 31, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps if you learned some basic science, you wouldn't have such difficulty understanding how the world works. This isn't faith. it is evidence-based deduction.
You really need to publish some articles, write a book, or go on TV and explain how you've solved the mystery of life, because you seem to be the only one who knows it. Your spontanous generation of life theory goes way back to the Greek philosophers, and that fits perfectly because it is a philosophy.That philosophy took hold in the 19th century until modern science started discovering the enormous complexity of even the most so called simple life forms.

I need to learn basic science? Basic science states with remarkable, never been proven wrong clarity, that life comes from existing life. Your the goober advocating a miracle , the lifeless goo coming to life, a one time only event in the primordial past that happened only once, and doesn't ever happen again because it would violate all known science.Join everyone in the 21st century where real scientists unencumbered by their faith look for real answers not to promote their world view.

Biogenesis - never been proven wrong no exceptions
Abiogenesis - never been proven right, no exceptions.

Now evidence based deduction would say that the person who believes that abiogenesis works does so on the basis of no proof, only a belief.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#151124 Jan 31, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.scientificexplorati on.org/edgescience/
Download the pdf of the magazine and read the article about Einstein and E=MC2. The article is in understandable English for the most part.
Note momentum. That is a property of motion.
You might peruse some other articles in there.
That article is very informative. It gives a rational perspective of possibilities.

But in the last page they, and others, fail to mention another possibility.

You have what we call energy flowing. It appears to recycle itself. It is assumed that the Big Crunch pulls everything back together. But there is another possibility. You take a hunk of that flow and create a separate loop. Starts a new continuum.

I will use an analogy of electricity, and magnetism.

You have a difference in charge and balance from a central point in a collection of matter, and a seeking of equilibrium. This causes your flow, something that goes outside the causation of the imbalance. Each section of the flow is occupied by this energy, so you have a quantity occupying space, if you will. You short it out. Which is a trick. You separate that section from the whole, creating a new system of transfer.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#151125 Jan 31, 2013
The_Box wrote:
So are Christian claims, Mormon claims, Hindu claims, Buddhist claims, Scientologist claims, etc.
They're all claims. Nothing more. You have no good evidence that Jesus performed any of those miracles.
You are delusional.
Contrary to popular atheist belief, YouTube didn't exist in Jesus' time. All they had was what they could write down.*hint* that's how ancient history was recorded.
Homer did exist.
To quote the aforementioned atheists: Prove it.

After all, the only thing you have to go on is what? Recorded history.
It is name assigned to the person who wrote the Iliad and Odyssey. There are questions about when those writings took place and how much responsibility he had in their writings, but really that's all moot.
Moot.
The point was that Zeus, like Jesus, was written about.
Still haven't found a Zeus bible?(I know you googled it & found nil)
The Gospels were written by anonymous authors half a century after the events in question and 3/4 are not even independent.
See? You did it again.

You readily accept that homer was real & wrote the Iliad.

You readily deny that Matthew, Mark & John "had no proof".

You're sad.
Maybe when you manage to make a single good argument.
Like the Zeus bible?

Do you know that nothing was written about Zeus originally? Except for what was written as "story pictures" on pots & plates.....

hmmm

Location hidden

#151126 Jan 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Contrary to popular atheist belief, YouTube didn't exist in Jesus' time. All they had was what they could write down.*hint* that's how ancient history was recorded.
So you accept the claims that Mohammad talked with Allah, Buddha achieved Nirvana, and Joseph Smith met angels?

These were all things that were written down.

We don't consider them history because they're all obviously religious mythology and legend, just like Jesus' miracles.

*I* don't have a double standard on this issue.*You do.*
RiversideRedneck wrote:
To quote the aforementioned atheists: Prove it.
Prove that we assign the name Homer to the writer of the Iliad and Oddysey?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odyssey
RiversideRedneck wrote:
After all, the only thing you have to go on is what? Recorded history.
You're missing a key element here: plausibility.

I can start writing two books right now about my friend Joe. One talks about him growing up, and playing high school football, and being a construction worker.

The second one talks about how he can fly, and he is 30 feet tall,
and he has a vacation home on Jupiter.

If a future historian were doing some research on Joe and found the first book, he'd probably view it as a reliable source written by a friend. If he found the second book, he'd dismiss it as legendary, or mythical, or straight-up fiction.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Still haven't found a Zeus bible?(I know you googled it & found nil)
Why do I need to find a Zeus bible? You're operating on the premise that anything written down (and not intended to be fictional) counts as history. Things about Zeus were written down. History? People wrote that Joseph Smith met angels. History? People wrote that Mohammad talked with Allah. History?

There are COUNTLESS supernatural religious claims, yet you reject all of them except for Christianity's. Why are you so inconsistent?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
See? You did it again.
You readily accept that homer was real & wrote the Iliad.
You readily deny that Matthew, Mark & John "had no proof".
You're sad.
"We have 2 epic poems. A guy wrote them." is a pretty easy claim to accept.
"A guy was a god, performed miracles, and rose from the dead." is an extraordinary claim requiring extraordinary evidence.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#151127 Jan 31, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not into dirt, Bud or paper cups.
You're missing out.

What are ya into? Lights, tile & wine glasses?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#151128 Jan 31, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:

I am especially proud of my volunteer work and donations to the humanist cause. Every year I go to the Philippines and spend thousands on food,water, clothing and medicine for the needy there. After a horrific typhoon and flooding there I was there amongst others 14 hours a day handing out supplies, giving life saving injections and treatments to those who lost their home. I stood and watched as homeless children lined up easily 3 miles deep for a package of crackers sandwich fruit and bottle of water. Unwanted children who were born because the Christian ran theocracy light government makes it nearly impossible for a woman to obtain birth control. My wife is in pre-med classes and wants to practice medicine there free to help those poor children. Here in the states I collect donations for running in marathons with the money going to children's charities and cancer or HIV awareness programs.
I have seen first hand time and time again the damage and heart breaking situations brought on by theists. The same theists who come crawling to us to help fix their mess! Oh but while we are fixing it are we thanked? Nope. We barely get the figurative broom in hand and they are shrieking at us for not believing in their imaginary friend.
Honor? I guess it is a relative term. The dozen of urban low income students I assist for free with their biology and pharmaceutical homework at two different colleges locally would probably say good ole KJ is an alright dude.
Now if coming on topix and giving the theists a little taste of backbone, the theists who try to intimidate and silence non believers because they think we should all be meek and humble and tolerate their abuse and repeated logical fallacies makes me vile, Without reason, Disrespectful, In someone's opinion? So be it, hmmm I will chuckle about how vile And disrespectful I am Friday at U of L for the 6 hours I am assisting the students there as a volunteer. Or perhaps this summer as I am passing out thousands of dollars worth of free medicine and other essentials trying to save some more homeless from dying. Yes I was walking by a group of people there and they were huddled together praying loudly and crying. I looked in and a young girl was on the ground dying of dehydration. Instead of getting her water and rushing her to the hospital they stood there holding hands and praying! I grabbed my cell phone and called for an ambulance and started trying to get her to drink. Slowly she sipped the water as the praying continued. The ambulance came after almost an hour and reluctantly took her to the hospital, the paramedic said she was good as dead and best leave it in the hands of Jesus same thing the crowd thought. She died 18 hours later. They didn't even know her name and couldn't figure it out.
I guess I'll somehow deal with being called disrespectful.
<quoted text>

BAAAAAASHAAAAHAAAAABAAAAAAHAAA AHAAA!

HAAAAAAHAAAAAAA, BAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAA. OH PLEASE LMAO. PLEASE STOP IT!!! LOL

BAAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAA.

"Every year I go to the Philippines and spend thousands on food,water, clothing and medicine for the needy there"

BAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAA. BAAAHAAAHAAAHAAAAAHAAA!

"I am Friday at U of L for the 6 hours I am assisting the students there as a volunteer"

LMAO!! BAAAAAASHAAAAAHAA OMG!! LOL.

"The dozen of urban low income students I assist for free"

BAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA, please stop it!! LoL

LMAO!!!!!

This coming from liberty! LOL!!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#151129 Jan 31, 2013
The_Box wrote:
So you accept the claims that Mohammad talked with Allah, Buddha achieved Nirvana, and Joseph Smith met angels?
No.

Muhammad copied Moses' writings.

Buddha was a medieval pothead.

Joe smith wanted to gain more followers.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#151130 Jan 31, 2013
The_Box wrote:
We don't consider them history because they're all obviously religious mythology and legend, just like Jesus' miracles.
Since when did you become we?
Prove that we assign the name Homer to the writer of the Iliad and Oddysey?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odyssey
LMAO! No, prove he even existed.
"We have 2 epic poems. A guy wrote them." is a pretty easy claim to accept.
"A guy was a god, performed miracles, and rose from the dead." is an extraordinary claim requiring extraordinary evidence.
Oh, I see now.

YOU find the stories of Jesus difficult to accept.....
I gotcha.

That doesn't mean they aren't true, that just means YOU don't accept them as true.

Location hidden

#151131 Jan 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Those accounts are no less valid than accounts of Jesus' miracles.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Muhammad copied Moses' writings.
The Koran contains unique writings, and was not written by Muhammad (who was probably illiterate), but by his immediate followers.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Buddha was a medieval pothead.
Gautama Buddha was born in the 6th century BC. That's not medieval.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Joe smith wanted to gain more followers.
...and so did early Christians. What's your point?

You haven't been able to provide any reason you accept the Gospels' claims about Jesus, but reject the claims of other religions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 29 min Eagle 12 2,412
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 42 min polymath257 144
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 3 hr _Bad Company 141
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 3 hr thetruth 34
God' existence 3 hr thetruth 67
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 19 hr _Bad Company 23,198
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists Fri Crazy Mess 1
More from around the web