Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#151086 Jan 31, 2013
Do you have any issue with "poof" marriage?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me get this right.
In the beginning all life evolved from dead, lifeless, sterile material.
“Poof,” All by itself, then life made a crazy run on the earth.
So you believe in “Poof?”
Like magic,“poof.”
Atheist don’t believe in God but they damn sure believe in “Poof.”
“foolish and a logical fallacy”???
Imhotep

Kissimmee, FL

#151087 Jan 31, 2013
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
Shake our heads at the ignorance?
The Catholics were the ones who burned people at the stake, including Christians who rejected the pope's authority.
• Catholic Inquisition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Rx8PdvOELvYXX
http://archive.org/details/CatholicInquisitio...
with ex-Catholic Priest Richard Bennett
But, but God loves you, ask the clergy, they wouldn't lie would they?

http://nobeliefs.com/nazis.htm

http://www.remnantofgod.org/NaziRCC.htm

http://www.vaticancrimes.us/...

For extra credit...

http://nationalcatholicreporter.org/update/bn...

Awe inspiring religion or utterly contemptible?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#151088 Jan 31, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me get this right.
In the beginning all life evolved from dead, lifeless, sterile material.
I think you underestimate the chemical reactivity of the materials that were on the early earth. They were 'sterile' only in the sense of being not alive: but they were very dynamic chemically.
“Poof,” All by itself, then life made a crazy run on the earth.
So you believe in “Poof?”
Like magic,“poof.”
Atheist don’t believe in God but they damn sure believe in “Poof.”
“foolish and a logical fallacy”???
No, it was not a 'poof'. It was a gradual increase in the complexity of the chemical reactions until a self-sustaining collection of reactions formed. Life *is* a collection of chemical reactions that maintains internal state while using the chemicals from the environment for nutrients and (for photosynthetic organisms) light for an energy source.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#151089 Jan 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
True. If you were actually looking for evidence of God, you would've found it by now like the rest of us.
But since you're not looking, you'll never find it.
Why do you think I haven't looked? I have read your Bible. I have searched the history. I have learned what science says. And my conclusion is that the God of the Bible certainly does not exist and, more generally, it is unlikely that the universe was intelligently created.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#151090 Jan 31, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless of course your looking for evidence of abiogenesis, then ,well we've only been looking for several decades, and though we have zero evidence, we're making progress ,right?
Hypocrite
But we *have* found evidence. We know the life is a chemical process. We know that the precursors of the chemicals of life existed on the early earth. We know that those precursors spontaneously form more complicated structures in the environment of the early earth. We know that those structures can catalyze many of the reactions of life. We know that they will spontaneously form into cell-like structures which will bud and grow.

In the other direction, we are learning the absolute essentials for living things by our study of bacteria. We are able to decipher that RNA and not DNA was the original genetic material. We know that that RNA can form not only the genetic material, but also catalyze reactions needed for life.

The point is that the gap between what we know spontaneously forms in conditions similar to the early earth and what we know the earliest life was like has shrunk dramatically over the last 50 years. And yes, that *is* progress on the question. And yes, the above *is* evidence of abiogenesis.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#151091 Jan 31, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So your argument is atheists are evil and so they don't do charity work so it must not be true. Seeing as how I met my wife doing this charity work as she and her friends also volunteered down there helping their own countrymen and women I guess you will have to take it up with her. Hey maybe you can claim I thought I was injecting poison into all those people instead of malaria vaccines.
:sigh: You are such a Christhole secular humanists travel the world helping others I have always loved the Philippines and have been several times. It is heart breaking how those majority Christians have run it into the ground.
Jesus has answered the prayers of millions of homeless Filipino children with pagpag from heaven.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/30/world/asia/phil...
<quoted text>
I don’t categorize all atheist as being evil. There are some very fine upstanding atheist citizens. Then there are the group driven by bigotry and hatred such as yourself. With vile, demeaning, and offensive post.

You touched on birth control. I would agree that changes are needed but it’s not our country and we can do little about it. There is a method based on dates on the calendar. All it would take is to educate the population.

Do you think everyone in the world should be just like you? Godless, miserable and disrespectful. You said you love the Philippines. Does that mean you love the Pilipino people and culture?

I’ve been to the Philippines just like you have. By reading National Geographic. You cut down and accuse everyone of faith of being a liar and you expect us to believe your made up bullsh**? You never ever touched the Philippines.

Someone who is benevolent as you have betrayed yourself would respect their fellow human. Your tree doesn’t bare the sweet fruit that you claim. It bares noxious and deadly toxins. Blow your smoke up the naďve a*s.

Southern Illinois

#151092 Jan 31, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
No link I see. No surprise there as you made it up or changed it around. Churches run daily in North Korea even the USSR allowed the Russian Orthodox Church to remain open even funding to upgrade many chapels. I still have a Russian language your guide book from the soviet days showing you a map an times for church services at several famous churches there.
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_C...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#151093 Jan 31, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t categorize all atheist as being evil. There are some very fine upstanding atheist citizens. Then there are the group driven by bigotry and hatred such as yourself. With vile, demeaning, and offensive post.
You touched on birth control. I would agree that changes are needed but it’s not our country and we can do little about it. There is a method based on dates on the calendar. All it would take is to educate the population.
Do you think everyone in the world should be just like you? Godless, miserable and disrespectful. You said you love the Philippines. Does that mean you love the Pilipino people and culture?
I’ve been to the Philippines just like you have. By reading National Geographic. You cut down and accuse everyone of faith of being a liar and you expect us to believe your made up bullsh**? You never ever touched the Philippines.
Someone who is benevolent as you have betrayed yourself would respect their fellow human. Your tree doesn’t bare the sweet fruit that you claim. It bares noxious and deadly toxins. Blow your smoke up the naďve a*s.
There's no such thing as god, sorry to poop your party

Southern Illinois

#151094 Jan 31, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes she died because instead of helping her they prayed. Atheists do lots of charity work. We just don't make the people listen to a sermon before we give them their sandwich or supplies.
<quoted text>
You mean she died in your novel. You know the one you can't sell. According to your story the girl died anyway. It looks like you showed up a day late and dollar short. A good atheist would have been there the day before to give her water. I mean you so perfect in your own mind and all. It sounds like you non prayer method didn’t help.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#151095 Jan 31, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Stayed at the Mission Inn, during Xmas season with all the beautiful lights. I had an incredible room, it's on the rooftop level, freestanding with a cupola roof. I ate in the bar-lounge area. You'd never know you were in Riverside, it could be New York or San Francisco or Europe.(No offense.) Hated to leave the next day....
Ya, that place don't represent Riverside very well. It's made for city folks to come down & spend $12 on a beer :)

You should visit Engal's Park in Norco during Rodeo week.$2 beers.

Southern Illinois

#151096 Jan 31, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you underestimate the chemical reactivity of the materials that were on the early earth. They were 'sterile' only in the sense of being not alive: but they were very dynamic chemically.
<quoted text>
No, it was not a 'poof'. It was a gradual increase in the complexity of the chemical reactions until a self-sustaining collection of reactions formed. Life *is* a collection of chemical reactions that maintains internal state while using the chemicals from the environment for nutrients and (for photosynthetic organisms) light for an energy source.
Many chemical reactions take a lot of work to get the desired compounds. With multiple steps and engineered processes to reach those desired compounds. Sometimes taking weeks and months before obtaining the desired engineered results.

A lot of chemical reactions don’t happen as expected and it’s a hit and miss to get those targeted compounds. A research chemist would know exactly what I’m talking about.

Life and the genesis of life is far more complex than any man made chemical compound. Those DNA and RNA codes didn’t self construct as you atheist claim.

So much is said here about science. Well science says it’s impossible for life to self create. The Miller Experiment was a bust. They didn’t even use the atmosphere the Earth had at the beginning.

Location hidden

#151097 Jan 31, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
Why do you think I haven't looked? I have read your Bible. I have searched the history. I have learned what science says. And my conclusion is that the God of the Bible certainly does not exist and, more generally, it is unlikely that the universe was intelligently created.
The Bible is just a book, it won't lead to to Christ any more than reading a physics book will make you a physicist.

God is found through prayer & faith, not through reading the Bible.

Southern Illinois

#151098 Jan 31, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
I won’t call you stupid nor will I demean you like you have others. You make you own mind up and the rest of us will make up ours. If we need your help with deciding we will drop a dime and give you a call.

In the mean time stop trying to be a dictator and forcing people to give up their right to freedom. We are free people and free we will live. That means no one has to prove sh** to you nor do we have to give up our faith.

We don’t need your approval but thank you anyway.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#151099 Jan 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is just a book, it won't lead to to Christ any more than reading a physics book will make you a physicist.
You are ditching the bible, that is good! But faith through prayer? To which of the many gods, they are all different. You are still seeing things through a christian lens.

Location hidden

#151100 Jan 31, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
You are ditching the bible, that is good! But faith through prayer? To which of the many gods, they are all different. You are still seeing things through a christian lens.
Ditching the Bible? What?

Don't read into it too much, your little athi-brain can't figure it out apparently.

Location hidden

#151101 Jan 31, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
How have you come to such a precise conclusion?

(I gotta hear this)

Location hidden

#151102 Jan 31, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
You mean she died in your novel. You know the one you can't sell. According to your story the girl died anyway. It looks like you showed up a day late and dollar short. A good atheist would have been there the day before to give her water. I mean you so perfect in your own mind and all. It sounds like you non prayer method didn’t help.
The atheist thinks she died & turned off like a busted TV.

Like he cares if she died.

I wonder what the title of the book is...

"Awesomeness in Athesim Abroad"

LMAO
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#151103 Jan 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That was careless of you to lose him in the first place.

Its a good job he is not found in the buy-bull cause that book is an appauling catalogue of horrors and absurd tales.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#151104 Jan 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity is based on historical records of Jesus Christ, not superstition.
The idea that Jesus performed miracles or resurrected or was a divine being, are all based on the supernatural or magic.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
How do you know? I don't believe in psychics at all, but it makes some people feel good, feel positive. What's so bad about that?
They're con-artists who often bilk people out of significant sums of money.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Not Christianity, no.
It fits it to a tee.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#151105 Jan 31, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
So much is said here about science. Well science says it’s impossible for life to self create. The Miller Experiment was a bust. They didn’t even use the atmosphere the Earth had at the beginning.
No, the Miller experiment was NOT a bust. It showed that amino acids and other basic compounds required for life form easily in the environments like that of the early earth. Miller used the best guess he had at the time for the atmosphere of the earth. Later versions of his experiment used different mixtures for the atmosphere and found the same results.

Miller was NOT trying to create life. That was not the point of his experiment. The point was to see if the basic building blocks for life would form under conditions that were likely on the early earth. His experiment and others have shown that and much more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 min I can read 22,113
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 2 hr Jaimie 71
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 4 hr Patrick 188
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 5 hr Patrick 42
Stump a theist with 2 questions 5 hr Patrick 18
Atheism 101: What's the most aggravating argume... 10 hr Patrick n Angela 3
The Ultimate Evidence of God Mon sriKim 120
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••