Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,257)

Showing posts 145,121 - 145,140 of223,895
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
bohart

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it is. It isn't *conclusive* evidence of absence. The more you actually *look* for evidence don't see any, the stronger the evidence of absence.
Unless of course your looking for evidence of abiogenesis, then ,well we've only been looking for several decades, and though we have zero evidence, we're making progress ,right?

Hypocrite

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Why do I need to argue? What has your side presented other than logical fallacies and purposely changing the definitions of words to make them fit?

Until that happens your lot can't even step up to the debate proper.

Perhaps you can stop avoiding questions asked of you at some point and actually answer them?
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Still sticking to the same argument in every post you make I see:
"Christians smell and I don't like them!"
You need to learn to think logically and argue your position.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Well we can't assign morality to something we can't demonstrate so logically god is out.

And again this has been covered. Humans are a social tribal creature we long to be part of a tribe so to speak. As social creatures certain social expectations need to be met or the tribe so to speak will remove or ignore you. We can see this in hundreds of animal species who are social. Ravens take one mate for life for example and stay with them. Primates demonstrate social behaviors and even punishment for breaking those. Dolphins and elephants are known to mourn their dead especially if a young one dies.

Behaving in a socially acceptable way is nothing new and is not only seen in the human community.

So assigning this well established evolved process seen in several different species to some invisible sky wizard is foolish and a logical fallacy. We have evolved this way for survival.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You still have not grasped the point and I suspect you will not be able to, as you have been one of the least coherent atheists on here.
How do you ACCOUNT for the absolute moral standards you keep appealing to?
Where do you get that from?

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

So us non believers are a threat to humanity! What should be done about such a dangerous threat Gramps? What did Christians do to non believers in the past?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, the Romans used to regard Christians as superstitious, and mocked them much as you and others do now. Was reason enough to them to use them for their sadistic entertainment.
You are a threat to humanity.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Why do I need to argue? What has your side presented other than logical fallacies and purposely changing the definitions of words to make them fit?
Until that happens your lot can't even step up to the debate proper.
Perhaps you can stop avoiding questions asked of you at some point and actually answer them?
<quoted text>
"I looked in and a young girl was on the ground dying of dehydration. Instead of getting her water.........." Post #150915

"I," "I," "I," "I," "I," "I," "I," "I," "I,"I," "I," "I," "I,"

"I," "I,"

Youre are so unpretentious. Such conservative modesty. Shouldnt you be nominated for the noble peace prize for unselfishness. You could be idolized like Mother Teresa. Get the Atheist of the year award.

But nooooooo, youre just satisfied with a "good ole KJ is an alright dude." Modesty, integrity and unrelenting sacrifice for the needy.

Such greatness has blessed our forum. We are honored by your presence.[tearing up, sniffle]

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
So us non believers are a threat to humanity! What should be done about such a dangerous threat Gramps? What did Christians do to non believers in the past?
<quoted text>
Wiki:

In the 20th century, Christians have been persecuted by various groups, and by atheistic states such as the USSR and North Korea. Currently (as of 2012), as estimated by the Christian missionary organization Open Doors UK, an estimated 100 million Christians face persecution, particularly in Muslim dominated countries like, Iran, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. They also face persecution in atheistic states like North Korea in which there is no religious freedom. A recent study, cited by the Vatican, reported that 75 out of every 100 people killed due to religious hatred were Christian.
socci

Lawson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:

Shake our heads at the ignorance?

The Catholics were the ones who burned people at the stake, including Christians who rejected the pope's authority.

Catholic Inquisition

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

http://archive.org/details/CatholicInquisitio...
with ex-Catholic Priest Richard Bennett

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Well we can't assign morality to something we can't demonstrate so logically god is out.
And again this has been covered. Humans are a social tribal creature we long to be part of a tribe so to speak. As social creatures certain social expectations need to be met or the tribe so to speak will remove or ignore you. We can see this in hundreds of animal species who are social. Ravens take one mate for life for example and stay with them. Primates demonstrate social behaviors and even punishment for breaking those. Dolphins and elephants are known to mourn their dead especially if a young one dies.
Behaving in a socially acceptable way is nothing new and is not only seen in the human community.
So assigning this well established evolved process seen in several different species to some invisible sky wizard is foolish and a logical fallacy. We have evolved this way for survival.
<quoted text>
So let me get this right.

In the beginning all life evolved from dead, lifeless, sterile material.

Poof, All by itself, then life made a crazy run on the earth.

So you believe in Poof?

Like magic,poof.

Atheist dont believe in God but they damn sure believe in Poof.

foolish and a logical fallacy???

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

socci wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholics were the ones who burned people at the stake, including Christians who rejected the pope's authority.
Catholic Inquisition
I'm not disagreeing with your post. History is history.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

So your argument is atheists are evil and so they don't do charity work so it must not be true. Seeing as how I met my wife doing this charity work as she and her friends also volunteered down there helping their own countrymen and women I guess you will have to take it up with her. Hey maybe you can claim I thought I was injecting poison into all those people instead of malaria vaccines.

:sigh: You are such a Christhole secular humanists travel the world helping others I have always loved the Philippines and have been several times. It is heart breaking how those majority Christians have run it into the ground.

Jesus has answered the prayers of millions of homeless Filipino children with pagpag from heaven.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/30/world/asia/phil...
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When I read this my first thought was, you gotta be sh*ting me.
I have heard one or two wild tales in my life but Ill be damn if this one doesnt beat all I have ever heard.
The problem I see with this post?
A benevolent person who would go across the globe to help people in dire need would act benevolent. The Philippines is made up by a majority Christians. No hate filled belligerent atheist is going to do that for Christians.
Of course like many post we can take it or leave it. No one says were forced to believe it. Going to keep this one in my achieves. And repost it from time to time so people can judge for themselves the credibility of Givemeliberty.
Point being no one and I do mean no one with that much hate and snarling criticism is that benevolent. Only an nave mindless idiot would believe it.
Givemeliberty, who in fu** do you think your kidding?

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Salem witch trials.
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholic Inquisition

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Yes she died because instead of helping her they prayed. Atheists do lots of charity work. We just don't make the people listen to a sermon before we give them their sandwich or supplies.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"I looked in and a young girl was on the ground dying of dehydration. Instead of getting her water.........." Post #150915
"I," "I,"
Youre are so unpretentious. Such conservative modesty. Shouldnt you be nominated for the noble peace prize for unselfishness. You could be idolized like Mother Teresa. Get the Atheist of the year award.
But nooooooo, youre just satisfied with a "good ole KJ is an alright dude." Modesty, integrity and unrelenting sacrifice for the needy.
Such greatness has blessed our forum. We are honored by your presence.[tearing up, sniffle]

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

No link I see. No surprise there as you made it up or changed it around. Churches run daily in North Korea even the USSR allowed the Russian Orthodox Church to remain open even funding to upgrade many chapels. I still have a Russian language your guide book from the soviet days showing you a map an times for church services at several famous churches there.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wiki:
In the 20th century, Christians have been persecuted by various groups, and by atheistic states such as the USSR and North Korea. Currently (as of 2012), as estimated by the Christian missionary organization Open Doors UK, an estimated 100 million Christians face persecution, particularly in Muslim dominated countries like, Iran, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. They also face persecution in atheistic states like North Korea in which there is no religious freedom. A recent study, cited by the Vatican, reported that 75 out of every 100 people killed due to religious hatred were Christian.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist is a Religion.
Religion
Synonyms: credo, creed, cult, FAITH, persuasion
faith\ˈfāth\
noun
b (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof
Atheism
Belief that there is no Deity or Deities.
Hence - Atheism = Religion
you just made i believe that i'm going to buy my self a cup of coffee into a religion

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you believe in Poof?
Like magic,poof.
Until you're able to prove your god which you lie about every single day, you simply look ridiculous here, attempting to attack atheists.
Faith is Amoral

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as you consider God to be a "silly humanoid sky fairy", you'll never understand Him.
Christians know that depiction is what atheists want to believe God is like.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
What are the qualities of god and be specific. So long as you fail to understand that the word god is ambiguous with no clear accepted meaning, you'll never understand how irrelevant the word god is. What god is to you is not to another, so why concern yourself with something both unknown and so ambiguous? Because you are a dishonest death denier is why.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you believe in Poof?
Like magic,poof.
Magic is your realm not that of science.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>"I looked in and a young girl was on the ground dying of dehydration. Instead of getting her water.........." Post #150915

"I," "I,"

You’re are so unpretentious. Such conservative modesty. Shouldn’t you be nominated for the noble peace prize for unselfishness. You could be idolized like Mother Teresa. Get the Atheist of the year award.

But nooooooo, you’re just satisfied with a "good ole KJ is an alright dude." Modesty, integrity and unrelenting sacrifice for the needy.

It's "Nobel", not "noble".

Here's a tissue.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>So let me get this right.

“Poof,” All by itself, then life made a crazy run on the earth.

So you believe in “Poof?”

Like magic,“poof.”

Atheist don’t believe in God but they damn sure believe in “Poof.”

“foolish and a logical fallacy”???
You literally believe in "poof".

Your god supposedly "poofed" a handful of mud into a full grown man.

How blind can you be?
Imhotep

Tavares, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wiki:
That is what I call "a excellent start" !(Unabashed Sarcasm) ;)

Religion poisons virtually everything it touches.
It is a mind virus.

Good news...

http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-number/relig...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 145,121 - 145,140 of223,895
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••