Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#151029 Jan 30, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
People representing faith that are continuously abusive come and go. Theyre never long term residences on this channel.
Residents, Eagle, not residences.

Residences are like addresses, your house, your city, your state. A resident is the person, the residence is the place.

Are you starting to get it?

San Francisco, CA

#151030 Jan 30, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
She should be banned.
OK, here's a multiple choice test.

If she were to be banned, would she no longer be:

a) A residence

b) A resident

Take your time, Eagle.

San Francisco, CA

#151031 Jan 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Many of them should be. They are quite guilty of practicing hate speech based solely upon religion.
Dude, I'd sooner ban a poster who accused another poster of being a threat to humanity.

But I'm against censorship, so you're off the hook.

San Francisco, CA

#151032 Jan 30, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Im an astronaut and spent three weeks living on mars. No one knows about it because it was a secret mission. I helped feed the Martians after a terrible storm. Working 18 hours a day none stop feeding the little Martian children. Im proud of the work I did there.
We had to take shovels and pick axes and carve out new living space for the Martians. It was tireless and exhausting work. The day I left the Martians said Eagle 12 is an alright dude. Of course I knew that already. I am one fine unselfish human being.
Every year I go back to Mars to help the Martian children with the school work. They named a school after me. It was the least they could do for all that I did for them.
Nine I's, Eagle, and your post was much shorter than Givemeliberty's post.

Since: Jan 13

Gateshead, UK

#151034 Jan 30, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
The absence of evidence for anything supernatural is the evidence it's superstition you doink and your silly humanoid sky fairy will remain a superstition until the day evidence presents itself.
"The absence of Evidence is not evidence of absence" "science" has already proven that alternative dimensions exist. Is it entirely un plausible that another group of entities perhaps live in these other dimensions? Perhaps our dimensions sometimes phase together very briefly and we see the remnants of another time and reality. We could see ourselves 10 years from now and then they could disappear in an instant. Paranormal things can be easily explained through science. Science is theory, I just gave you a theory, therefore it is Science. Don't believe in anything, always try to be open minded about everything. Belief is simply a tool used by those that can't think for themselves. Atheism, Christianity, Catholicism, They all rely on belief. Even Science is a belief system because it relies on it's one fundamental rule. "Everything can be understood and explained", unfortunately, everything cannot be explained and understood because new things are created every single second through evolution and environmental/geographical changes. There isn't enough time to study, understand and explain everything. Therefore Science is just the belief that everything can be, Atheism is the belief that there are no Gods, Christianity is the belief that Jesus died for their sins, whilst thousands of people stood by and let him get killed.. Yeah God sure wants to forget your sins when you let a Saint die! The fact is, If Gods do infact exist. They are not what people say they are, they are infact Aliens. From another world, time, place, existence. Belief is a flawed concept that all Humans embrace from a very young age. It is not "Human nature" it is taught to you by moronic parents, religious fanatics, schools. To be truly open minded you have to reject all of your preconceptions and embrace everything that there is to "know". After embracing everything around you, you have to then purge yourself of all the useless bullshit. Someone elses "opinion" for example, unless it uses correct logic and isn't based on their emotional disposition. None of you that are going to reply to this post will understand what true open mindedness is, None of you will ever achieve it and I frankly don't care. You're doomed by your own self righteous upbringing that you'll never change. It is not impossible to change this, you're just raised this way and then are too confident that it is "you". The people that understand the Truth beyond Truth, wont bother replying to this, they'll simply nod and then continue to lurk and laugh at the inane religious debates. Religion is made by man, it is a belief system. God has nothing to do with what Man makes, or what man claim. How can we win, when fools can be Kings.(8)~
Pat

Granby, CT

#151035 Jan 30, 2013
ThePlayfulDragon wrote:
<quoted text>
"The absence of Evidence is not evidence of absence" "science" has already proven that alternative dimensions exist. Is it entirely un plausible that another group of entities perhaps live in these other dimensions? Perhaps our dimensions sometimes phase together very briefly and we see the remnants of another time and reality. We could see ourselves 10 years from now and then they could disappear in an instant. Paranormal things can be easily explained through science. Science is theory, I just gave you a theory, therefore it is Science. Don't believe in anything, always try to be open minded about everything. Belief is simply a tool used by those that can't think for themselves. Atheism, Christianity, Catholicism, They all rely on belief. Even Science is a belief system because it relies on it's one fundamental rule. "Everything can be understood and explained", unfortunately, everything cannot be explained and understood because new things are created every single second through evolution and environmental/geographical changes. There isn't enough time to study, understand and explain everything. Therefore Science is just the belief that everything can be, Atheism is the belief that there are no Gods, Christianity is the belief that Jesus died for their sins, whilst thousands of people stood by and let him get killed.. Yeah God sure wants to forget your sins when you let a Saint die! The fact is, If Gods do infact exist. They are not what people say they are, they are infact Aliens. From another world, time, place, existence. Belief is a flawed concept that all Humans embrace from a very young age. It is not "Human nature" it is taught to you by moronic parents, religious fanatics, schools. To be truly open minded you have to reject all of your preconceptions and embrace everything that there is to "know". After embracing everything around you, you have to then purge yourself of all the useless bullshit. Someone elses "opinion" for example, unless it uses correct logic and isn't based on their emotional disposition. None of you that are going to reply to this post will understand what true open mindedness is, None of you will ever achieve it and I frankly don't care. You're doomed by your own self righteous upbringing that you'll never change. It is not impossible to change this, you're just raised this way and then are too confident that it is "you". The people that understand the Truth beyond Truth, wont bother replying to this, they'll simply nod and then continue to lurk and laugh at the inane religious debates. Religion is made by man, it is a belief system. God has nothing to do with what Man makes, or what man claim. How can we win, when fools can be Kings.(8)~
Not evidence of absence, just evidence that the god idea is at this point in time nothing more than a silly unsupported superstition clung to by death deniers.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#151036 Jan 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
The internal war here is between you and your straw men.
He doesn't even defeat the straw men most of the time.

I think "arockdidit" VS "goddidit" ends up in a draw.

<mtimber signs a no hostilities pact with straw men, meanwhile, the hay fighters move in attacking mtimber from their wagons>

Since: Jan 13

Petersburg, VA

#151037 Jan 30, 2013
Not to be rude, but the very question is ridiculous. It's like saying, "It takes a lot of faith to have no faith at all." It just doesn't make sense.

I would dare go so far as to say modern Atheism is the very antithesis of faith, requiring evidence before believing anything. This is where religion is left unarmed; there is no real evidence for any of them. Faith is required despite it's lack of reliability and substance.

I've heard it argued that faith itself is substance, that one's faith is evidence. This seems to me like nothing more than a way of perpetuating an idea, regardless of whether that idea is true.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#151038 Jan 30, 2013
The_Box wrote:
Religion is full of superstition: beliefs based on the supernatural or magic.
Christianity is based on historical records of Jesus Christ, not superstition.
I do mind my own business. Is participating in public forums an invasion of your, or anyone else's, privacy?
Frankly, in the instance of religion (or alternative medicine or psychic/medium conmen), it need to be confronted because it so often ends up in other people's business causing harm.
How do you know? I don't believe in psychics at all, but it makes some people feel good, feel positive. What's so bad about that?
It's simply the definition of superstition.
Wikipedia's definition
a belief in supernatural causality
Merriam-Webster's definition
1a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation
*a belief or practice resulting from trust in magic*
That doesn't describe religion?
Not Christianity, no.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#151039 Jan 30, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
The absence of evidence for anything supernatural is the evidence it's superstition you doink and your silly humanoid sky fairy will remain a superstition until the day evidence presents itself.
As long as you consider God to be a "silly humanoid sky fairy", you'll never understand Him.

Christians know that depiction is what atheists want to believe God is like.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#151040 Jan 30, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>God predates humanity...

You seem to assumed that is not the case.
They are entertaining.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#151041 Jan 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nine I's, Eagle, and your post was much shorter than Givemeliberty's post.
I count 16 "I"'s

A "I'll" & several "me's"

Gotcha!

Location hidden

#151042 Jan 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Because agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive terms so a person can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist for example.

You Christholes sure do need this explained again and again and again.
Atheist is a Religion.

Religion

Synonyms: credo, creed, cult, FAITH, persuasion

faith\ˈfāth\
noun

b (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof

Atheism

Belief that there is no Deity or Deities.

Hence - Atheism = Religion

Location hidden

#151043 Jan 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>The word is beliefs, ok half wit? Your desperate Anne Coulter failed logic doesn't make something true. Atheists have no reason to disprove something that is completely unproven to start.

Where has your belief in god gotten you? You have the grammar of a reject who would make an ESL student say wtf and you clearly sate you want to shoot non believers in the head executioner style.

This is the happiness you speak of? Whatever jut don't go opening fire inside an elementary school ok?
Atheist sure have a hard time keeping your believes straight.
Yet alone just the definition of the word atheist.

Merriam - Webster

athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity

"who believes". That's a positive assertion. Seeing as there is no proof of your belief It's FAITH.

Faith:
"Synonyms: devotion, piety, religion"

Ah yes Atheism is a Religion.

Have a nice day and don't forget to go to church.

Posted else where by derek4

February 4, 2011

Church, without God

“Stan Bradley likes Bible stories, admires Martin Luther and uses expressions such as 'heavens, no.'

The Lithopolis man is president of a local congregation and rarely misses a Sunday service. Occasionally, he goes to his wife's church instead.

For these and other reasons, Bradley considers himself religious.”

He is also an atheist.

continued:

“Like Bradley, some atheists participate in organized religion for its social and psychological benefits.”

continued:

“Churches are great places to find friends, support and youth education, so nonbelievers and believers alike join congregations to fill those needs, he said.

He has spoken to elderly and sick people who can no longer go to church and they say they most miss the feeling of community.

Recent research from Harvard University and the University of Wisconsin backs him up. It found that religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people, not because of belief but because of the friendships found at church.”
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/faith...

“religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people”[I have said this all along, and my posts are still on the board to confirm it. Now you hear it straight from the atheist, lol.]

Long Beach, CA

#151044 Jan 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I count 16 "I"'s
A "I'll" & several "me's"
Gotcha!
In Eagle's post? And I counted twice, just in case.

I included the I'll, but not the me's.

Only two in mine. Unless you count the mine.
rider

Gwinn, MI

#151045 Jan 30, 2013
American Dynasty: Fmr. Top Republican Strategist Discusses The Bush Familys Rise To Power Since WWI
http://www.democracynow.org/2004/1/12/america ...

Location hidden

#151046 Jan 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>I know you made this up KJV because Wikipedia doesn't sound so dyslexic like you do. Again agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive terms.

As usual you lied.
"Wikipedia doesn't sound so dyslexic like you do"

Wikipedia

Agnosticism

"HideDefining agnosticism"

Thomas Henry Huxley said:

Agnosticism, in fact, is not a creed, but a method, the essence of which lies in the rigorous application of a single principle...Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the intellect do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable.[8]
Agnosticism often overlaps with other belief systems. Agnostic theists identify themselves both as agnostics and as followers of particular religions, viewing agnosticism as a framework for thinking about the nature of belief and their relation to revealed truths. Some nonreligious people, such as author Philip Pullman, identify as both agnostic and atheist.[9] In contrast, the philosopher William L. Rowe said that in the popular sense,

----------

an agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a deity or deities, whereas a theist and an atheist believe and disbelieve, respectively,

----------

and that in the strict sense agnosticism is the view that human reason is incapable of rationally justifying the belief that deities do, or do not, exist."

Proved you wrong yet again. This is getting old you're not much of challenge. All mouth and no brains.
Your BORING!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#151047 Jan 30, 2013
ThePlayfulDragon wrote:
<quoted text>
"The absence of Evidence is not evidence of absence" "science" has already proven that alternative dimensions exist.
Really? When, exactly did it do that? There has certainly been a lot of *speculation* about other dimensions, but (other than time being another dimension) no proof.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#151048 Jan 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Of course it is. It isn't *conclusive* evidence of absence. The more you actually *look* for evidence don't see any, the stronger the evidence of absence.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#151049 Jan 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
In Eagle's post? And I counted twice, just in case.
I included the I'll, but not the me's.
Only two in mine. Unless you count the mine.
No, in the other dudes post, the Liberty douche.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 3 min Cal 38
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 13 min thetruth 199
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 34 min thetruth 2,598
Evidence for God! 38 min thetruth 368
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 47 min thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 52 min thetruth 162
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 53 min thetruth 1,451
More from around the web