Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
144,901 - 144,920 of 224,106 Comments Last updated 23 min ago

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a Saint.(Kind of ironic)
Nope. merely human.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Your bible can't demonstrate anything but words it contains, which is proof of nothing except that the bible contains them.
<quoted text>
Au contraire. Your bible is riddled with error and contradiction.
<quoted text>
What moral principles are original to Christianity? "Thou shalt not steal"? You stole that from the Jews.
Incidentally, whenever Christians pick and choose which commandments of their bible to accept and which to reject, they are applying an external standard to your so-called absolute biblical morality to do it.
God predates humanity...

You seem to assumed that is not the case.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

The first cause argument is not applicable to the universe as an entity. The idea of causality is derived from experience with objects much smaller than universes that are contained in them. You cannot extend the inductions (generalizations) derived from studying the whole and apply them to the parts. That one is called a fallacy of composition. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_compo... :
"The fallacy of composition arises when one infers that something is true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole. For example: "This fragment of metal cannot be fractured with a hammer, therefore the machine of which it is a part cannot be fractured with a hammer."
We don't have enough information about universes to generalize about them, and there is an excellent argument against anything existing before time. Causes imply a before state and an after state. The word "before" has no meaning until T = 0+.
There is no "before time" just as there is nothing on earth south of the South Pole. The phrase is meaningless, as is the claim of a first cause preceding time.
<quoted text>
Who did you think that you were quoting?
Do us both a favor and rebut my words, not your modified versions of them.
<quoted text>
I didn't say that, either, so no, not very interesting. Nor very honest.
Actually, if the parts are based in facts that are incontrovertible, you can use them to establish the universal...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

<quoted text>
I've never said that. If you are going to keep changing my words, we won't accomplish much.
My worldview - rational skepticism - is superior to yours - Christian fideism - based on the results each has produced both in my life and in the world.
Work with that. Please don't reword it and then argue with yourself again.
I am not sure why you want to claim sole proprietorship of rational skepticism?

I would say that logical deduction and induction should be the base of all skepticism by the way...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
How many times do you need to be told the same thing? No such thing exists or is necessary
Furthermore, mine was an existential claim, not a moral judgment.
<quoted text>
Myself, people like me, and the empirical validity of rational ethics. It keeps making the world better.
Look at St.Paul, who with a simple pronouncement dispensed with Old Testament law and the law of Jehovah-Jesus.
Jesus taught in Matt. 5:18-19 that Old Testament law was still in effect: "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."
But Paul had a different idea in Romans 10:4: "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for every one who believes." That's rational ethics. Those laws were ridiculous, Paul recognized that, and simply dispensed with them.
So you argue that progression is necessarily better?

You know that is illogical right?
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
God predates humanity...
Man came first then came his silly imaginary gods.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
If theists stopped being stupid, then no one would have reason to call them stupid. I have faith in things with solid evidence, your god has zero, none, so I dismiss your god like all the others, as mythology. I love evidence, evidence is what I study, without evidence there is nothing to accept or deny, it simply does not require any opinion either way.
I could spend lots of time on the issues with your premises here.

But I won't...

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, this is not *at all* what the Big Bang theory says. Every sentence in your 'explanation' is factually incorrect.
<quoted text>
And wrong.
Horseshit. That is what it boils down to after the hocus pocus and sophistry is removed.

Now, you explain it to us in plain understandable English. No esoterica.

BTW, your "curved spacetime" is because of gravity. All motion will travel in a straight line unless something acts upon it.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

I want to thank everyone for the Mark Twain quotes.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
How does discussing the bible and its perceived, on your part, errors, give you a reason to argue you have purpose?
I didn't mention any errors in your bible, I did, however, point out that your deity in the mythic story did not do what was said it did do. I suppose that could be perceived as an error in the myth on your part.

I stated my purpose, that comment is separate from the error of your deity in the myth.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain why you started with "all physicists" and now have devolved to: "most quantum physicists"?
Also, please supply your source for this amended claim.
Because all I am seeing is a false claim to imagined authority...
Most physicists study quantum mechanics as a requirement for their degree. But the indeterminate nature of the universe comes out specifically in quantum mechanics, so those who study it for a living will be in the best situation to make the judgment about causality in quantum mechanics.

And, in fact, most physicists who think about quantum physics accept that it is an acausal theory and that some events are not caused.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.experienceproject.c om/stories/Crave-Depth-Of-Soul -And-Intensity-Of-Experience/1 197749

Interesting site I just found looking up depth of soul. There are more stories.

Depth of soul is the ability to experience, put in perspective, and keeping on keeping on.

Any higher being will collect those with that depth, leaving the shallow in the mill.

You shine brightly, or you reflect well, and you are taken home.
Thanks for sharing.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Horseshit. That is what it boils down to after the hocus pocus and sophistry is removed.
No, it most certainly is NOT what it boils down to. That you don't see the difference is due to your lack of understanding of what the theory actually says. In particular, there was *not* a particle that 'ignited and exploded' and from which matter 'condensed'.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, if the parts are based in facts that are incontrovertible, you can use them to establish the universal...
Not true. This is part of the general question of inductive inference. But such inference is *always* in doubt to some extent. No number of observations are enough to *require* the next observation to agree.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Iím not sure why this site is a magnet to personality disorders but there is plenty to go around. Itís important we understand the caliber of people we are dealing with and understand this is something we as individuals canít help them fix.

These people heavily represent the ranks of the Atheist on this site. Itís pretty easy to spot them. Theyíre the ones who are spiteful and chronically disrespectful. Why are there so many Atheist with this disorder?

Iím well aware there are some very well adjusted Atheist who are not anti-social but just the opposite. I think Mary Madeline Murray O'Hare had this disorder but other famous Atheist not so much.

{Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration. Those with narcissistic personality disorder believe that they're superior to others and have little regard for other people's feelings. But behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

Narcissistic personality disorder is one of several types of personality disorders. Personality disorders are conditions in which people have traits that cause them to feel and behave in socially distressing ways, limiting their ability to function in relationships and in other areas of their life, such as work or school}.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcissistic...
Thinking

Newbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

I think you're being unduly picky as that's what our models use and you can't say there isn't a correlation.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only in the very first approximation. It is actually a description of the available quantum states. That is its *statistical mechanics* definition.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it most certainly is NOT what it boils down to. That you don't see the difference is due to your lack of understanding of what the theory actually says. In particular, there was *not* a particle that 'ignited and exploded' and from which matter 'condensed'.
Yes, there is the theory of the particle that exploded. That was the first presentation of that theory. Now they have gone to a hot dense region. Still originating from a singular source.

Now explain the mechanics in English. Where your Aunt Susie could understand it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Speaking of Aunt Suzie.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So your argument is that all there is is infinite egress?
You deny that cause and effect point to a first cause?
You deny basic scientific and logical observations, based on what reasoning?
LOL...you know mtimber is running blind when he resorts to "Let's play 20,000 questions!"

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
God predates humanity...
Humanity predates god - all of the gods, actually.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 2 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 2 hr religionisillness 370
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr Richardfs 198
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 hr DonPanic 21,384
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 16 hr religionisillness 834
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 21 hr Patrick 16
Of Interest InTheNews 21 hr Patrick 3
•••
•••