Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,243)

Showing posts 144,841 - 144,860 of217,734
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Paul is a confessed liar”

Since: Jul 11

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, an agnostic deals with what can be known. An theist deals with belief.
Agnostic atheist : "I don't know if gods exist but I don't believe they do"
Agnostic theist : "I don't know if gods exist but I believe they do"
Agnostic : "I just don't know"
Then what was Spinoza ?

'God' is the natural forces of the Universe. Thus 'God' is known and observable.

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your confusion about definitions is part of your pathology.
Don't blame the failings of human language on her.

The terms atheist and agnostic are ambiguous (at best) in common parlance.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

What does that have to do with atheism? The Big Bang, abiogenesis, evolution and atheism are four different subjects. If you lack the IQ to comprehend that I suggest you start educating yourself so you don't always make a jackass out if yourself.

That's why we call him Daffy!

You're welcome half wit.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you,
You have now cleared that up in your own mind. There’s lacking in the world scientific facts on how all life started from a once sterile environment. Atheist accept life self created and self started. Self building the complex DNA codes for every simple and complex life forms.
This blind conviction of a lifeless world exploding into many and varying life forms by self creation is incomprehensible. Yet these Atheist beliefs are based without scientific proof. When it comes to billions of people throughout time that believed and still believe in a higher divine power. Atheist require proof, visible scientific proof.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Agnosticism is lack of knowledge atheism is lack of belief. The two terms are not mutually exclusive. One can be an agnostic theist or an agnostic atheist. One could be a gnostic theist or a gnostic atheist.

How many times do we have to hold your hand and guide you retards through this?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the lack of belief is agnosticism. It is a passive thing. Atheism is a denial, which is not passive, but definitive.
If you get on here prosyletizing atheism, then you have a belief. Which is most definitive.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It occurs to me, that this world wouldn't survive an intelligent villain.
Atheism?

It's not just for breakfast anymore.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

You find the theists love to mix and match an outright change definitions of words to their liking. They have no proof for their god and they know it. So because they have failed miserably to demonstrate said needed proof they rely on word games and lies to try to stay in the game.

Their time is ending. The writing is on the wall and they know it. Sadly they are now in full desperation mode clinging and flailing as churches close by the dozen :)
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that's your own projection. Atheism is, by definition, a lack of belief. You can't change the rules mid-game. Anyone who lacks a belief in a god is an atheist, end of story. You have to justify your own beliefs by projecting your failure to comprehend the differences onto others.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When the eagle flaps his/hers wings he is going somewhere in a hurry.
A human flapping his/hers arms is going nowhere fast.
Well that sums you up.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Who cares what Spinoza's opinion was? That isn't what he said anyways and he never said his God but god and it was actually a velvet gloved thumb to the eye of believers as he was a non Btw I can call my boner a god he will stand and even spit his miracle juice in your eye.

Care to say my hard on proves the existence of gods? Taking something real and assigning it the same god is a word game not proof for gods.
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what was Spinoza ?
'God' is the natural forces of the Universe. Thus 'God' is known and observable.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

solopassage wrote:
God gave man both reason and free will.
Yet he demands that you suppress both. And curiosity. And lust. And cognitive dissonance.
solopassage wrote:
God is infinitely patient. He knows His "children" learn through their error.
Why do you suppose it is that your god always seems to choose to do exactly what a nonexistent god would do? Quetzalcoatl is also infinitely patient except for the odd tsunami or earthquake.

Like Quetzalcoatl, your god chooses not to show himself. He becomes inexplicably shy whenever scientific studies seeking to demonstrate the efficacy of prayer are performed.

And the days of parting seas and walking on water seem to have become the days of grilled cheese sandwich miracles.

Like Quetzalcoatl, Jehovah-Jesus lets us blaspheme him at will, a godlike display of self-control if ever there was one.

Jehovah has allowed his church to bicker and splinter into 40,000 factions, just like a nonexistent god would.

And of course, he is now also allowing his church to melt.

Why do you suppose that is?
solopassage wrote:
Jesus was a great teacher of common sense.
Here's some now:

[1]“If any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.”- Jesus (Luke 14:26)

[2] "And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out." - Mark 9:47

[3]“Take therefore no thought for tomorrow: for tomorrow shall take thought of the things for itself.”- Matthew 6:34

[4] "Some are born as eunuchs, some have been made eunuchs by others, and some choose not to marry for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven. Let anyone accept this who can." - Matthew 19:12

[5] "They will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”- Mark 16:18

So, hate your parents and your own life, pluck out your eye, cut off your balls, pick up a snake, and don't plan.
solopassage wrote:
one must be in the world, but not of the world.
More bad advice. Such people are useless to the rest of us.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

bohart wrote:
What violations of the law of biogenesis have been observed?
None. Why?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

bohart wrote:
At least an alleged perpetual motion machine will operate for a time before it stops.
I think you're unclear on the meaning of the word "perpetual."
bohart wrote:
I don't know biochemistry?, and you do?
Yes, I know a pretty fair amount of biochemistry. It was my major at university. Why?
bohart wrote:
Explain just how the puddle of goo comes to life, the world is waiting because the most brilliant minds on earth don't have a single viable clue.

The most brilliant minds have a lot of clues. Meet Jack Szostak: http://www.youtube.com/watch...

[QUOTE who="bohart"]As you yourself said,...it isn't necessary to see abiogenesis, suspect it or find it. Thats not science by any measure,....thats faith.
Actually, I didn't say that. What I said was, "It isn't necessary to see abiogenesis to suspect it or find it."

And that's not faith. Faith is a logical error.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
It's like the so-called atheists really need to have some kind of proof that God doesn't exist & that religion is evil. If they truly didn't believe, they wouldn't waste their time asking for proof. I believe in God. I believe He's real. I don't believe that Zeus is real, neither do the atheists. Otherwise they'd be on some kind of "prove there's a Zeus" thread & knocking people down all day everyday for believing in Zeus. But they don't. The atheists focus their attention right at God. Right at Christians.

I think it's because they doubt their own belief that there is no God.
No, it's because "[you] believe in God [and] don't believe that Zeus is real." If you all convert to Zeustianity and start interfering with our lives as Zeustians, we'll refocus our attention there.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If you just lacked a belief you would not be on here telling theists how stupid they are.
You have faith in your conviction there are no deities. Or you have a different pathology relating to some need to be contrary.
Again, that will go totally over your head, or you are on here just to argue. I believe it WILL go over your head.
You Topix atheists are much too much emotional in your arguments to be rational thinkers.

Theists like you love playing this little mind game Dave.
You know you it cant be proven one way or the other, so you come in here and try to shift the burden of proof to the person you accuse of not believing in your god. There are shades of disbelief just like there are shades of belief. But what you are saying is that a person has faith in a total lack of belief. Most atheists see it as a total lack of faith and zero belief.

Ergo: I have zero faith in the imaginary god of your belief.

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Whatever you say, god of the pricks.
Givemeliberty wrote:
Who cares what Spinoza's opinion was? That isn't what he said anyways and he never said his God but god and it was actually a velvet gloved thumb to the eye of believers as he was a non Btw I can call my boner a god he will stand and even spit his miracle juice in your eye.
Care to say my hard on proves the existence of gods? Taking something real and assigning it the same god is a word game not proof for gods.
<quoted text>

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If you just lacked a belief you would not be on here telling theists how stupid they are.
I have known some intelligent theists. There have even been some on these forums (Fossil Bob comes to mind). But the vast majority of theists in here show their ignorance and stupidity by criticizing science they clearly do not understand and making arguments that are easily refutable. They also show themselves a danger by wanting to teach their malarkey in the schools and have government institutions fund their churches.
You have faith in your conviction there are no deities. Or you have a different pathology relating to some need to be contrary.
Or I am interested in finding the truth and showing people that they don't have to be subject to superstition.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what was Spinoza ?
I, for one, have little trouble with Spinoza's concept of God. Identifying God with the universe or the laws of the universe is one way to make me say I'm a theist.*smiles*

But, I don't think that the universe or the laws of the universe have the characteristics usually included in the definition of God: there is no intelligence, no morality, and no individuality. Not a version of God that would make most Abrahamic religions happy.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Theists like you love playing this little mind game Dave.
You know you it cant be proven one way or the other, so you come in here and try to shift the burden of proof to the person you accuse of not believing in your god. There are shades of disbelief just like there are shades of belief. But what you are saying is that a person has faith in a total lack of belief. Most atheists see it as a total lack of faith and zero belief.
Ergo: I have zero faith in the imaginary god of your belief.
What imaginary god would that be, Orrie?

You seem to be stuck on this anti-Jehovah kick, equating any belief in a supernatural with a belief in Bible God as you perceive it. Then your knees start jerking.

I was "your" definition of an atheist for over 50 years. I, too, was against the ritual and blind following of the words of men claiming to be shepherds. The religious ones and the progressive liberal secular humanist ones. I even had a death experience and didn't see a god.

But I have been a technician all of my life, and a very good one. Instead of focusing my skills on small parts of this existence, I started to looking at it as a system, with reliance on modern physics stating it is a closed system. I see the transfers of energy and interactions from a detached view. I, including my consciousness, is a part of the schematic I am watching unfold.

That is why I have been suggesting we are glorified light bulbs, so to speak, constructed devices, to accomplish the ends of something larger than us. What it is I don't know.

You and most people are stuck staring out. You don't know how to detach yourself from your function to realize what you really are. You are too busy processing the energy flowing through you.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you sweet?
Always, that’s why my wife throws her shoes at me, lol.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
What does that have to do with atheism? The Big Bang, abiogenesis, evolution and atheism are four different subjects. If you lack the IQ to comprehend that I suggest you start educating yourself so you don't always make a jackass out if yourself.
That's why we call him Daffy!
You're welcome half wit.
<quoted text>
Ordures my Dear.

“Ordures,” French for garbage.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What imaginary god would that be, Orrie?
You seem to be stuck on this anti-Jehovah kick, equating any belief in a supernatural with a belief in Bible God as you perceive it. Then your knees start jerking.
I was "your" definition of an atheist for over 50 years. I, too, was against the ritual and blind following of the words of men claiming to be shepherds. The religious ones and the progressive liberal secular humanist ones. I even had a death experience and didn't see a god.
But I have been a technician all of my life, and a very good one. Instead of focusing my skills on small parts of this existence, I started to looking at it as a system, with reliance on modern physics stating it is a closed system. I see the transfers of energy and interactions from a detached view. I, including my consciousness, is a part of the schematic I am watching unfold.
That is why I have been suggesting we are glorified light bulbs, so to speak, constructed devices, to accomplish the ends of something larger than us. What it is I don't know.
You and most people are stuck staring out. You don't know how to detach yourself from your function to realize what you really are. You are too busy processing the energy flowing through you.
So..um...are you saying you worship a Singer Sewing Machine or a Waring Blender?

O Ye of the running stitch, and drinker of the Margarita.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 144,841 - 144,860 of217,734
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••