Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#150762 Jan 29, 2013
Whatever you say, god of the pricks.
Givemeliberty wrote:
Who cares what Spinoza's opinion was? That isn't what he said anyways and he never said his God but god and it was actually a velvet gloved thumb to the eye of believers as he was a non Btw I can call my boner a god he will stand and even spit his miracle juice in your eye.
Care to say my hard on proves the existence of gods? Taking something real and assigning it the same god is a word game not proof for gods.
<quoted text>

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#150763 Jan 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your confusion about definitions is part of your pathology.
If you just lacked a belief you would not be on here telling theists how stupid they are.
I have known some intelligent theists. There have even been some on these forums (Fossil Bob comes to mind). But the vast majority of theists in here show their ignorance and stupidity by criticizing science they clearly do not understand and making arguments that are easily refutable. They also show themselves a danger by wanting to teach their malarkey in the schools and have government institutions fund their churches.
You have faith in your conviction there are no deities. Or you have a different pathology relating to some need to be contrary.
Or I am interested in finding the truth and showing people that they don't have to be subject to superstition.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#150764 Jan 29, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what was Spinoza ?
'God' is the natural forces of the Universe. Thus 'God' is known and observable.
I, for one, have little trouble with Spinoza's concept of God. Identifying God with the universe or the laws of the universe is one way to make me say I'm a theist.*smiles*

But, I don't think that the universe or the laws of the universe have the characteristics usually included in the definition of God: there is no intelligence, no morality, and no individuality. Not a version of God that would make most Abrahamic religions happy.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#150766 Jan 29, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Theists like you love playing this little mind game Dave.
You know you it cant be proven one way or the other, so you come in here and try to shift the burden of proof to the person you accuse of not believing in your god. There are shades of disbelief just like there are shades of belief. But what you are saying is that a person has faith in a total lack of belief. Most atheists see it as a total lack of faith and zero belief.
Ergo: I have zero faith in the imaginary god of your belief.
What imaginary god would that be, Orrie?

You seem to be stuck on this anti-Jehovah kick, equating any belief in a supernatural with a belief in Bible God as you perceive it. Then your knees start jerking.

I was "your" definition of an atheist for over 50 years. I, too, was against the ritual and blind following of the words of men claiming to be shepherds. The religious ones and the progressive liberal secular humanist ones. I even had a death experience and didn't see a god.

But I have been a technician all of my life, and a very good one. Instead of focusing my skills on small parts of this existence, I started to looking at it as a system, with reliance on modern physics stating it is a closed system. I see the transfers of energy and interactions from a detached view. I, including my consciousness, is a part of the schematic I am watching unfold.

That is why I have been suggesting we are glorified light bulbs, so to speak, constructed devices, to accomplish the ends of something larger than us. What it is I don't know.

You and most people are stuck staring out. You don't know how to detach yourself from your function to realize what you really are. You are too busy processing the energy flowing through you.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#150767 Jan 29, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you sweet?
Always, thatís why my wife throws her shoes at me, lol.

Southern Illinois

#150768 Jan 29, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
What does that have to do with atheism? The Big Bang, abiogenesis, evolution and atheism are four different subjects. If you lack the IQ to comprehend that I suggest you start educating yourself so you don't always make a jackass out if yourself.
That's why we call him Daffy!
You're welcome half wit.
<quoted text>
Ordures my Dear.

ďOrdures,Ē French for garbage.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#150769 Jan 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What imaginary god would that be, Orrie?
You seem to be stuck on this anti-Jehovah kick, equating any belief in a supernatural with a belief in Bible God as you perceive it. Then your knees start jerking.
I was "your" definition of an atheist for over 50 years. I, too, was against the ritual and blind following of the words of men claiming to be shepherds. The religious ones and the progressive liberal secular humanist ones. I even had a death experience and didn't see a god.
But I have been a technician all of my life, and a very good one. Instead of focusing my skills on small parts of this existence, I started to looking at it as a system, with reliance on modern physics stating it is a closed system. I see the transfers of energy and interactions from a detached view. I, including my consciousness, is a part of the schematic I am watching unfold.
That is why I have been suggesting we are glorified light bulbs, so to speak, constructed devices, to accomplish the ends of something larger than us. What it is I don't know.
You and most people are stuck staring out. You don't know how to detach yourself from your function to realize what you really are. You are too busy processing the energy flowing through you.
So..um...are you saying you worship a Singer Sewing Machine or a Waring Blender?

O Ye of the running stitch, and drinker of the Margarita.

Westcliffe, CO

#150770 Jan 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
So..um...are you saying you worship a Singer Sewing Machine or a Waring Blender?
O Ye of the running stitch, and drinker of the Margarita.
More like the operator of them, oh ye of limited understanding.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#150771 Jan 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you're like the god of appliances.

Southern Illinois

#150772 Jan 29, 2013
Mark Twain an Atheist?

Yes I know Atheist make that claim.

Research tells a much different story. He wasnít fond of religion but did acknowledge he believed in God. He didnít seem to be steadfast in his belief but moved back and forth on the issue at different times in his life.

He did attend church several times and helped his brother build a church. However there wasnít a solid comment from him as would be in others.

Thatís why I used his quote because it fit Atheist to a Tee. He was a very talented author and happened to be raised up about two hours from where I live.

It makes me no difference if you claim him or not.

Southern Illinois

#150773 Jan 29, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
What does that have to do with atheism? The Big Bang, abiogenesis, evolution and atheism are four different subjects. If you lack the IQ to comprehend that I suggest you start educating yourself so you don't always make a jackass out if yourself.
That's why we call him Daffy!
You're welcome half wit.
<quoted text>
Your antagonistic views say Atheist like yourself are very toxic with rude and tasteless comments. I want people coming into the forum to see how pleasant some Atheist are. You fulfill that purpose and I have used your mannerisms to prove that point.[Tipping Hat]

Donít change that would be bad for business.

Westcliffe, CO

#150774 Jan 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you're like the god of appliances.
I am the Jesus of the junkpile. I am very good at resurrecting discarded items and bringing them back to life.

However, Topix atheists would likely be recycled as lamps. With the addition of sockets, shades, and cords. And brighter bulbs.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#150775 Jan 29, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
Mark Twain an Atheist?
Yes I know Atheist make that claim.
Research tells a much different story. He wasnít fond of religion but did acknowledge he believed in God. He didnít seem to be steadfast in his belief but moved back and forth on the issue at different times in his life.
He did attend church several times and helped his brother build a church. However there wasnít a solid comment from him as would be in others.
Thatís why I used his quote because it fit Atheist to a Tee. He was a very talented author and happened to be raised up about two hours from where I live.
It makes me no difference if you claim him or not.
When one reads Bibles, one is less surprised at what the Deity knows than at what He doesn't know.
- Mark Twain's Notebook

No one says he's an atheist, unless they don't know that he was a deist.

It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.
Mark Twain
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#150777 Jan 29, 2013
Yes. It's the one that states why walls can collapse into rubble (rubble = almost infinite arrangements) but that the opposite is almost impossible (rubble into order = 1 or comparatively few arrangements).

This law also introduces us to entropy (the number of ways things can tend to disorder).
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that the one that states that perpetual motions stop?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#150778 Jan 29, 2013
He prefers you be on your knees with your mouth eagerly open for communion. If you are an attractive female age 18+ if this does not describe you fear not! Kindly send your most attractive female family member aged 18+ to worship and you may watch the service.

You're welcome.
G_O_D wrote:
Whatever you say, god of the pricks.
<quoted text>

Lexington, KY

#150779 Jan 29, 2013
Which is all you have to post Daffy. Glad you finally caught on.

Now maybe you can find a Middle Eastern man? You seem to think they prove god exists for some reason.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ordures my Dear.
ďOrdures,Ē French for garbage.

Lexington, KY

#150780 Jan 29, 2013
So was the saw you cut your own fingers off with like the devil?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

Westcliffe, CO

#150781 Jan 29, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Yes. It's the one that states why walls can collapse into rubble (rubble = almost infinite arrangements) but that the opposite is almost impossible (rubble into order = 1 or comparatively few arrangements).
This law also introduces us to entropy (the number of ways things can tend to disorder).
<quoted text>
So order out of a sudden expansion is just about improbable?

The Big Bang rubbleized then fell back into an ordered universe, did it not?

Lexington, KY

#150782 Jan 29, 2013
Kool Khara.

Btw my slow witted troll Atheism has nothing to do with the Big Bang, or abiogenesis, or evolution. Take some time to let it sink in Daffy but atheism is simply not believing in gods.

Seriously.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your antagonistic views say Atheist like yourself are very toxic with rude and tasteless comments. I want people coming into the forum to see how pleasant some Atheist are. You fulfill that purpose and I have used your mannerisms to prove that point.[Tipping Hat]
Donít change that would be bad for business.

Lexington, KY

#150783 Jan 29, 2013
Flowery speech without substance is like gift wrap on a dog turd.

You would be better served staying away from sharp objects Gramps and return to your magnets and strings.
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.experienceproject.c om/stories/Crave-Depth-Of-Soul -And-Intensity-Of-Experience/1 197749
Interesting site I just found looking up depth of soul. There are more stories.
Depth of soul is the ability to experience, put in perspective, and keeping on keeping on.
Any higher being will collect those with that depth, leaving the shallow in the mill.
You shine brightly, or you reflect well, and you are taken home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Richardfs 16,957
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 hr Eagle 12 4,906
Religiosity 5 hr Eagle 12 2
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr thetruth 1,670
Turkey blocks website of its first atheist asso... 12 hr thetruth 3
What evidence make you believe in God/gods? 12 hr thetruth 31
The Consequences of Atheism 13 hr Thinking 827
More from around the web