Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
144,741 - 144,760 of 226,281 Comments Last updated 3 min ago

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#150665 Jan 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>I've never seen a concrete violin before.
LOL

I think he meant the bridge was made out if concrete :)

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#150666 Jan 28, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The only people confused here are the people that believe the earth is 6000 years old. That's you isn't it?
Its funny when you put your ridiculous beliefs into perspective for all to see isn't it?
Amusing.

Ridiculous beliefs, eh?

You really believe I am a fundamentalist Christian after all of the stuff I have posted?

You need a laxative for your brain. It's kinda clogged up.

Location hidden

#150667 Jan 28, 2013
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-27/norw...

It's electrical. It all balances out in a while.

Does get the weaker minds all agitated, though.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#150668 Jan 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/ 2013-01-27/norway-data-shows-e arth-s-global-warming-less-sev ere-than-feared.html

Yeah Dave.

It's electrical.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#150669 Jan 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/ 2013-01-27/norway-data-shows-e arth-s-global-warming-less-sev ere-than-feared.html
If it bothers you why do you keep going to those sites?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#150670 Jan 28, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did the OT need to be reformed?
God screwed it up the first time?
God gave man both reason and free will. How we interpret God's commandments is up to us. Man's constructs of God's moral precepts (Mosaic code) have been degrading and injurious as depicted in the Jewish Old Testament, but God is infinitely patient. He knows His "children" learn through their error.

Jesus was a great teacher of common sense. His message (the New Testament) was the morality of absolute love and service. Only the lack of egotism can engender a respect for the freedom and dignity of other beings therefore one must be in the world, but not of the world.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#150671 Jan 28, 2013
To my Atheist friends and the not so friendly.

“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”

Mark Twain

And we know you will.

Eagle 12

Location hidden

#150672 Jan 28, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
If it bothers you why do you keep going to those sites?
I don't. Those are just items that show up on news aggregators.

I post them to keep you "science experts" and worshipers up to date.

Location hidden

#150673 Jan 28, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah Dave.
It's electrical.
You are agitated. I can tell.

You thought electricity is something that comes in a can, right?

You might. But not electricity.

And it wasn't invented recently.

Hey, Batbrain, picture yourself as an intelligent early human, sitting in the cave on a cold and dry night, with all of those furs laying around, and you see and feel static. One of those things you grow up with.

You think it took them thousands of years to figure how to generate and manipulate this invisible force? I mean ancestors others than yours.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#150674 Jan 28, 2013
The_Box wrote:
This makes no sense whatsoever.
I can shoot lasers from my eyes. Don't ask for evidence because that means you must believe me!
Is that supposed to make sense?

Is there a 'Laser eye shooters requires as much faith as religion?' thread?

Nope.

Why?

Because nobody is searching for the laser eye shooters...

Location hidden

#150675 Jan 28, 2013
Yeah, I can see it now.

Bat Brain's distant ancestor Ergemergir, the talented flint knapper of his tribe, sitting "out there", looking down at his progeny, Bat Brain. His head in his hands, continually wailing, "Why, oh why, did I get drunk that night!?".

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#150676 Jan 28, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
From *your* post. Francis Collins understands evolution and knows it happened. He also thinks it is consistent with the Biblical account.
Once again, as long as he does his science correctly and doesn't attempt to get religion taught as science, I have no problem.
Hey, Poly, Aura was looking for you - math problem of some sort.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#150677 Jan 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a 'Laser eye shooters requires as much faith as religion?' thread?
Nope.
Why?
Because nobody is searching for the laser eye shooters...
Because no one is making laser-eye-shooter claims. They do make silly religious claims though.

The fact remains: asking you for evidence of your claims does not indicate that those claims are accepted. The opposite is true.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#150678 Jan 28, 2013
The_Box wrote:
Because no one is making laser-eye-shooter claims.
You just did.
The fact remains: asking you for evidence of your claims does not indicate that those claims are accepted. The opposite is true.
I could agree on that except there are many so-called atheists that spend far too much time trying to disprove a God they say they don't believe in.

Besides, I've yet to see you ask me for any evidence of any claims you claim I've made.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#150680 Jan 28, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>For people that can't get an inflatable woman or a real sheep:

http://www.muttonbone.com/ [Anatomically correct inflatable ewe.]
Dave might just be that desperate.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#150681 Jan 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you just complicate things.

Mental confusion does that.
Lots of experience there, Dave?
bohart

Newport, TN

#150682 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Scientists wouldn't be spending so much effort trying to solve the problem of abiogenesis if existing evidence didn't point them in that direction.
By contrast, they aren't looking for perpetual motion machines, since the evidence suggests that that would be a dead end.
You really don't understand what evidence is,or how it can be used. It isn't necessary to see abiogenesis to suspect it or find it.
The mere fact that science has found so many naturalistic explanations for physical phenomena like lightning and eclipses is evidence that other phenomena will succumb to similar investigations using the same method.
<quoted text>
Then you don't know biochemistry. Those are the ABCs of living things and life.
What violations of the law of biogenesis have been observed?
bohart

Newport, TN

#150683 Jan 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm.....biochemistry.
Let's see. You have an organic brain with a fixed matrix that over time develops new pathways and loops from experiences and chemicals added to the mix.
You smoke a little dope. It opens up new pathways for your brain to explore. Adds new perspectives.
You smoke a lot and it becomes a closed self-feeding loop. Puts a wall around the perspective. Makes one comfortable in their cocoon.
Same happens with many painkillers. Deadens the noise of the body and the world. And emotions. You get comfortably numb. And unable to expand your mind and perspectives.
A real waste, especially if this is your only time around.
Stunted growth.
Stunted growth? more like arrested development.
bohart

Newport, TN

#150684 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Scientists wouldn't be spending so much effort trying to solve the problem of abiogenesis if existing evidence didn't point them in that direction.
By contrast, they aren't looking for perpetual motion machines, since the evidence suggests that that would be a dead end.
You really don't understand what evidence is,or how it can be used. It isn't necessary to see abiogenesis to suspect it or find it.
The mere fact that science has found so many naturalistic explanations for physical phenomena like lightning and eclipses is evidence that other phenomena will succumb to similar investigations using the same method.
<quoted text>
Then you don't know biochemistry. Those are the ABCs of living things and life.
Perpetual motion machines are a dead end? There's more evidence that a perpetual motion machine is possible than for puddles of goo to poof into life. At least an alleged perpetual motion machine will operate for a time before it stops. I don't know biochemistry?, and you do? Explain just how the puddle of goo comes to life, the world is waiting because the most brilliant minds on earth don't have a single viable clue.As you yourself said,...it isn't necessary to see abiogenesis,suspect it or find it. Thats not science by any measure,....thats faith.

Your belief system is showing

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#150685 Jan 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You just did.
Jokingly, as an analogy.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I could agree on that except there are many so-called atheists that spend far too much time trying to disprove a God they say they don't believe in.
A lot of people like blowing off time on the internet arguing. That's hardly some indication of secret belief.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Besides, I've yet to see you ask me for any evidence of any claims you claim I've made.
You said people were 'seeking proof'. What they're doing is asking for evidence to support religious claims.

My 'you' in 'asking you for evidence of your claims does not indicate that those claims are accepted' was an indefinite you. Sorry for any confusion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 3 min Patrick 21
100% Faith Free 10 min Thinking 11
Our world came from nothing? 16 min Thinking 408
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 48 min ChristineM 902
The Ultimate Evidence of God 53 min Patrick 54
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr MUQ1 21,499
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 5 hr Patrick 41
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••