Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#150675 Jan 28, 2013
Yeah, I can see it now.

Bat Brain's distant ancestor Ergemergir, the talented flint knapper of his tribe, sitting "out there", looking down at his progeny, Bat Brain. His head in his hands, continually wailing, "Why, oh why, did I get drunk that night!?".

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#150676 Jan 28, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
From *your* post. Francis Collins understands evolution and knows it happened. He also thinks it is consistent with the Biblical account.
Once again, as long as he does his science correctly and doesn't attempt to get religion taught as science, I have no problem.
Hey, Poly, Aura was looking for you - math problem of some sort.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#150677 Jan 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a 'Laser eye shooters requires as much faith as religion?' thread?
Nope.
Why?
Because nobody is searching for the laser eye shooters...
Because no one is making laser-eye-shooter claims. They do make silly religious claims though.

The fact remains: asking you for evidence of your claims does not indicate that those claims are accepted. The opposite is true.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#150678 Jan 28, 2013
The_Box wrote:
Because no one is making laser-eye-shooter claims.
You just did.
The fact remains: asking you for evidence of your claims does not indicate that those claims are accepted. The opposite is true.
I could agree on that except there are many so-called atheists that spend far too much time trying to disprove a God they say they don't believe in.

Besides, I've yet to see you ask me for any evidence of any claims you claim I've made.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#150680 Jan 28, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>For people that can't get an inflatable woman or a real sheep:

http://www.muttonbone.com/ [Anatomically correct inflatable ewe.]
Dave might just be that desperate.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#150681 Jan 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you just complicate things.

Mental confusion does that.
Lots of experience there, Dave?
bohart

Newport, TN

#150682 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Scientists wouldn't be spending so much effort trying to solve the problem of abiogenesis if existing evidence didn't point them in that direction.
By contrast, they aren't looking for perpetual motion machines, since the evidence suggests that that would be a dead end.
You really don't understand what evidence is,or how it can be used. It isn't necessary to see abiogenesis to suspect it or find it.
The mere fact that science has found so many naturalistic explanations for physical phenomena like lightning and eclipses is evidence that other phenomena will succumb to similar investigations using the same method.
<quoted text>
Then you don't know biochemistry. Those are the ABCs of living things and life.
What violations of the law of biogenesis have been observed?
bohart

Newport, TN

#150683 Jan 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm.....biochemistry.
Let's see. You have an organic brain with a fixed matrix that over time develops new pathways and loops from experiences and chemicals added to the mix.
You smoke a little dope. It opens up new pathways for your brain to explore. Adds new perspectives.
You smoke a lot and it becomes a closed self-feeding loop. Puts a wall around the perspective. Makes one comfortable in their cocoon.
Same happens with many painkillers. Deadens the noise of the body and the world. And emotions. You get comfortably numb. And unable to expand your mind and perspectives.
A real waste, especially if this is your only time around.
Stunted growth.
Stunted growth? more like arrested development.
bohart

Newport, TN

#150684 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Scientists wouldn't be spending so much effort trying to solve the problem of abiogenesis if existing evidence didn't point them in that direction.
By contrast, they aren't looking for perpetual motion machines, since the evidence suggests that that would be a dead end.
You really don't understand what evidence is,or how it can be used. It isn't necessary to see abiogenesis to suspect it or find it.
The mere fact that science has found so many naturalistic explanations for physical phenomena like lightning and eclipses is evidence that other phenomena will succumb to similar investigations using the same method.
<quoted text>
Perpetual motion machines are a dead end? There's more evidence that a perpetual motion machine is possible than for puddles of goo to poof into life. At least an alleged perpetual motion machine will operate for a time before it stops. I don't know biochemistry?, and you do? Explain just how the puddle of goo comes to life, the world is waiting because the most brilliant minds on earth don't have a single viable clue.As you yourself said,...it isn't necessary to see abiogenesis,suspect it or find it. Thats not science by any measure,....thats faith.

Your belief system is showing

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#150685 Jan 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You just did.
Jokingly, as an analogy.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I could agree on that except there are many so-called atheists that spend far too much time trying to disprove a God they say they don't believe in.
A lot of people like blowing off time on the internet arguing. That's hardly some indication of secret belief.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Besides, I've yet to see you ask me for any evidence of any claims you claim I've made.
You said people were 'seeking proof'. What they're doing is asking for evidence to support religious claims.

My 'you' in 'asking you for evidence of your claims does not indicate that those claims are accepted' was an indefinite you. Sorry for any confusion.

Westcliffe, CO

#150687 Jan 28, 2013
-- 0ld Man -- wrote:
What do I need to do to get some service around here????
Flashing cash usually works.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#150688 Jan 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Flashing cash usually works.
You thought he was talking about a hooker, didn't you, Dave.
Turkey

Oswego, NY

#150689 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
hmm, thougt opioides were

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#150690 Jan 28, 2013
Atheism is the unascertained belief that all life started from nihility. Non-comprehension of such beginnings is not indispensable. The assurance based on positive premonition that such beginnings did not happen by divine plan and design.

Such declarations not based on substantiation but ones own assertion that the self creation through happenstance is lucid. By which many Atheist do declare as not as faith but as fact. Even though they lack substantiation to their belief.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#150691 Jan 28, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
Atheism is the unascertained belief that all life started from nihility. Non-comprehension of such beginnings is not indispensable. The assurance based on positive premonition that such beginnings did not happen by divine plan and design.
Such declarations not based on substantiation but ones own assertion that the self creation through happenstance is lucid. By which many Atheist do declare as not as faith but as fact. Even though they lack substantiation to their belief.
Um...no.

Atheism is a lack of a belief in a god.

Glad to help.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#150692 Jan 28, 2013
The_Box wrote:
You said people were 'seeking proof'. What they're doing is asking for evidence to support religious claims.
Yes, but why?

It's like the so-called atheists really need to have some kind of proof that God doesn't exist & that religion is evil.

If they truly didn't believe, they wouldn't waste their time asking for proof.

I believe in God. I believe He's real.

I don't believe that Zeus is real, neither do the atheists. Otherwise they'd be on some kind of "prove there's a Zeus" thread & knocking people down all day everyday for believing in Zeus.

But they don't. The atheists focus their attention right at God. Right at Christians.

I think it's because they doubt their own belief that there is no God.

“God of War”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#150693 Jan 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but why?
It's like the so-called atheists really need to have some kind of proof that God doesn't exist & that religion is evil.
If they truly didn't believe, they wouldn't waste their time asking for proof.
I believe in God. I believe He's real.
I don't believe that Zeus is real, neither do the atheists. Otherwise they'd be on some kind of "prove there's a Zeus" thread & knocking people down all day everyday for believing in Zeus.
But they don't. The atheists focus their attention right at God. Right at Christians.
I think it's because they doubt their own belief that there is no God.

Zeus is a god too, you could prove he is real ...or not!

Southern Illinois

#150694 Jan 28, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Um...no.
Atheism is a lack of a belief in a god.
Glad to help.
Thank you,

You have now cleared that up in your own mind. There’s lacking in the world scientific facts on how all life started from a once sterile environment. Atheist accept life self created and self started. Self building the complex DNA codes for every simple and complex life forms.

This blind conviction of a lifeless world exploding into many and varying life forms by self creation is incomprehensible. Yet these Atheist beliefs are based without scientific proof. When it comes to billions of people throughout time that believed and still believe in a higher divine power. Atheist require proof, visible scientific proof.

Southern Illinois

#150695 Jan 28, 2013
Your arms are too short to box with God.

Johnny Cash.

A lot of Atheist are swinging their arms in anger and not hitting anything but air.

Eagle 12

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#150696 Jan 28, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
Atheism is the unascertained belief that all life started from nihility.
No, it's not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 min One way or another 16,920
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr Eagle 12 4,902
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr thetruth 1,670
Turkey blocks website of its first atheist asso... 4 hr thetruth 3
What evidence make you believe in God/gods? 4 hr thetruth 31
The Consequences of Atheism 5 hr Thinking 827
Religiosity 12 hr NightSerf 1
More from around the web