Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#150645 Jan 28, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>A guy walks into a bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =77PymmxMLJMXX
Ouch! Of course the first thing he does is to inform his God on how much that hurt. LOL

Location hidden

#150646 Jan 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>What do you mean? African or European swallow?
Ok so we know a swallow must beat its wings 43 times per second, am I right?

Location hidden

#150647 Jan 28, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>http://www.youtube.com /watch?v=mVTW_-C014oXX
Not that Sue.

Location hidden

#150648 Jan 28, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Did you here about the Japanese - Jewish restaurant, it was called Sosueme.
:)

Location hidden

#150649 Jan 28, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Yes.

For people who can't maintain real companionship, an imaginary companion will suffice.

http://m.youtube.com/watch...
http://m.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

#150650 Jan 28, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Your bible can't demonstrate anything but words it contains, which is proof of nothing except that the bible contains them.

mtimber wrote, "And as the Bible has shown it can be trusted ... "

Au contraire. Your bible is riddled with error and contradiction.

mtimber wrote, "you appeal to Christian principles of morality as the defining standard of your character."

What moral principles are original to Christianity? "Thou shalt not steal"? You stole that from the Jews.

Incidentally, whenever Christians pick and choose which commandments of their bible to accept and which to reject, they are applying an external standard to your so-called absolute biblical morality to do it.
"Your bible can't demonstrate anything but words it contains, which is proof of nothing except that the bible contains them."

"You stole that from the Jews."

No need showing off your stupidity any further. Jesus was a Rabbi the Christian faith was Jewish the split came years after Jesus. However the OT was always part of Christianity and the Jewish faiths. Nothing stolen.

Silly games the atheist play.

Why under this rule then the same holds true to science. Nothing but words and numbers in all their theory's.

Location hidden

#150651 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>How does a god - or belief in a god - give a life more purpose than it wouldn't otherwise have?

Are you implying that my purpose is to worship it? That's not my purpose - it's the deity's.

As a Christian, your life is devalued and relatively purposeless. In the eyes of your god, you are nothing but a praising machine.

Your purpose - the reason you believe that you were created - is to die and move on to a life of praising some narcissistic black hole of need. In the meantime, you consider the very flesh that you are encased in an your enemy in which you are trapped while awaiting release. You see the world as decadent, and anticipate leaving it, too.

No thanks.
"How does a god - or belief in a god - give a life more purpose than it wouldn't otherwise have? "

You really don't know? Or are you just playing dumb?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#150652 Jan 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm.....biochemistry.
Let's see. You have an organic brain with a fixed matrix that over time develops new pathways and loops from experiences and chemicals added to the mix.
You smoke a little dope. It opens up new pathways for your brain to explore. Adds new perspectives.
You smoke a lot and it becomes a closed self-feeding loop. Puts a wall around the perspective. Makes one comfortable in their cocoon.
Same happens with many painkillers. Deadens the noise of the body and the world. And emotions. You get comfortably numb. And unable to expand your mind and perspectives.
A real waste, especially if this is your only time around.
Stunted growth.
Thank you as always for sharing your insights. You have a gift for converting the profound and nuanced into the simplistic. Your mind digests complex thought the way a protease digests protein.

Fennario

#150653 Jan 28, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
For people who can't maintain real companionship, an imaginary companion will suffice.
For people that can't get an inflatable woman or a real sheep:

http://www.muttonbone.com/ [Anatomically correct inflatable ewe.]

Fennario

#150654 Jan 28, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
"You stole ['Thou shalt not steal'] from the Jews."

No need showing off your stupidity any further. Jesus was a Rabbi the Christian faith was Jewish the split came years after Jesus. However the OT was always part of Christianity and the Jewish faiths. Nothing stolen.
The Jews say otherwise. And they reject your sham messiah and his heretical cult on biblical grounds.

Fennario

#150655 Jan 28, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
"How does a god - or belief in a god - give a life more purpose than it wouldn't otherwise have? "

I do know: it doesn't. Your life has no more meaning, value or purpose because of faith. If anything, less. What use are you if you despise the world, it's affairs, and human flesh?

You're taught to feel like an alien in your own world:

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.- 1 John 2:15

They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.- John 17:16

Do not conform to the pattern of this world - Romans 12:2

Where's the purpose there?

You're also taught to be alienated to your family :

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple.- Luke 14:26

What's the value of that?

And finally, you are taught that you are an alien temporarily trapped in vile flesh:

For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.- Galatians 5:16-18

For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh.- Philippians 3:2-4

And what is this great purpose you imagine for yourself? To spend eternity slavishly kissing the ass of a selfish and needy tyrant? What is the value of such a life to anybody else but that god?

To diminish the meaning and purpose of your life further, you live it like you're sitting at a bus stop waiting to be whisked away, with your attention, gratitude, and loyalty deflected to a nonexistent place you'll never see populated by ghosts that never existed.

I reject your church's claim to superior wisdom, to moral superiority, to spirituality of any kind, and to superior existential qualities like meaning, value, and purpose.

From where I sit, humanism outshines you at all of those.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#150656 Jan 28, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't answer the question...

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#150657 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Thank you as always for sharing your insights. You have a gift for converting the profound and nuanced into the simplistic. Your mind digests complex thought the way a protease digests protein.
Maybe you just complicate things.

Mental confusion does that.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#150658 Jan 28, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly games the atheist play.
You've always played the same game - lying about god being real.

Location hidden

#150659 Jan 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you just complicate things.
Mental confusion does that.
The only people confused here are the people that believe the earth is 6000 years old. That's you isn't it?

Its funny when you put your ridiculous beliefs into perspective for all to see isn't it?

Location hidden

#150660 Jan 28, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't know. The only people playing dumb are the people with no proof of god, yet trying to sell us something that they have no proof of - eg. a liar.

When will theists realise that atheists will never belief liars with no proof of god?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#150661 Jan 28, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You've always played the same game - lying about god being real.
Is it a lie?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#150662 Jan 28, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
When will theists realise that atheists will never belief liars with no proof of god?
The fact that you seek proof of God means you are no atheist.

Why do you lie to yourself?

Location hidden

#150663 Jan 28, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know. I'm not an architect, I'm a musician.

I play the violin. The acoustics were nice. You tell me.
Sorry about the way artist seem to always have to pay such high prices for there passion. Maybe if man wasn't taught they were apes and music was sent like a gift from God, you would not have work so hard to present your God given gift.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#150664 Jan 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that you seek proof of God means you are no atheist.
This makes no sense whatsoever.

I can shoot lasers from my eyes. Don't ask for evidence because that means you must believe me!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 49 min Patrick 477
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 1 hr Lawrence Wolf 106
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Patrick 22,258
Here's a place for Patrick's off-topic articles 2 hr NightSerf 1
Glorify God, our Heavenly Father 2 hr Son of God 1
Stump a theist with 2 questions 2 hr NightSerf 66
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 2 hr Thinking 4,106
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE