Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#150631 Jan 28, 2013
We should expect coincidences to occur.
If there weren't coincidences I'd suspect the world was only pseudo random.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes to the déjà vu.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#150632 Jan 28, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. I'm not an architect, I'm a musician.
I play the violin. The acoustics were nice. You tell me.
My momma was a Florida Cracker with some musical talent, and a love for music. Was raised with a variety of music playing in that house.

She said something one time that has stayed with me. She said God loved musicians.

Maybe he pains some of them to get more soulful sounds out of them. Not the topical math based stuff, but from the soul.

One of the more profound effects of my death experience was a realization of how important music is. It is very quiet when you are dead and disembodied.

Location hidden

#150633 Jan 28, 2013
Come to think of it, life IS an emotional experience.

It's what gives it flavor.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#150634 Jan 28, 2013
The existence of the Christian god. Its existence is demonstrably false.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA !!!!

Whew!

Why don't you save us all a boat load of trouble & take your "findings" to the media & demonstrate to the world that God is non-existant...

No?

OK then, just keep making unsubstantiated, ridiculous posts on Topix.

Location hidden

#150635 Jan 28, 2013
It is odd the effect music has on creatures, isn't it? The moods and emotions it can stir. Strange phenomenon for evolved material beings.

The guitar was banned by the Church for a while after it came out. Stirred up too much licentious passions.

I am sure they played some rock and roll way back then, too. Comes natural.
Pat

Granby, CT

#150636 Jan 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA !!!!
Whew!
Why don't you save us all a boat load of trouble & take your "findings" to the media & demonstrate to the world that God is non-existant...
No?
OK then, just keep making unsubstantiated, ridiculous posts on Topix.
How easily you can spot an unsubstantiated claim when you disagree with it but are unable to spot a unsubstantiated claim if you find it personally appealing. The hypocrisy of the theist exposed once again.
bohart

Newport, TN

#150637 Jan 28, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference is that we are very early in our investigations of abiogenesis. it is only recently that we have learned the chemical foundations for life (even the simple fact that DNA is the genetic material was only learned 55 years ago). We are also only beginning to really understand the conditions on the early earth. In addition, when we have investigated this question, the obstacles that originally appeared have, over time, been found to be *less* of a problem than expected. It was originally thought that organic compounds could only arise in living systems. That was shown wrong. Then it was thought that amino acids couldn't form under conditions expected on the early earth. That was found wrong. Then it was thought that polymerization to form more complicated chemicals would be unlikely and that was found wrong. And it was thought that membrane systems wouldn't be able to form and *that* was found to be wrong.
The problems are that we do not understand the chemistry for life nearly well enough to solve this problem yet. But each obstacle that was thought to be there has been shown to dissipate under study.
So the question of abiogenesis is closer to attempting to bridge a gap than anything else. Life *is* a chemical process. The main question is how the original chemicals came together in the correct amounts and in the right places.
We can also turn this around and note that *every* time we have found a cause for *anything*, it has always been a physical cause. That is absolute and nothing has ever even hinted at anything different. So, again, it is reasonable to suspect a physical cause for the beginning of life.
Yes, because you say its different. Tell me what violations of the law of biogenesis , that life only comes from existing life, have ever been seen using your beloved scientific method? Since we all know the answer is zero, yours is a faith based belief.Also your same old worn out lies about amino acids,polymerization, organic compounds, etc, are all lab created and mean nothing when it comes to life . Nothing

Location hidden

#150638 Jan 28, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
How easily you can spot an unsubstantiated claim when you disagree with it but are unable to spot a unsubstantiated claim if you find it personally appealing. The hypocrisy of the theist exposed once again.
Bean plants can grow some pretty flowers. These flowers blossom in the sunshine and can look about to see where it is, which communicates such to the rest of the plant. It has perspective.

Your perspective is that of a toadstool.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#150639 Jan 28, 2013
bohart wrote:
Tell me what violations of the law of biogenesis , that life only comes from existing life, have ever been seen using your beloved scientific method? Since we all know the answer is zero, yours is a faith based belief.
Scientists wouldn't be spending so much effort trying to solve the problem of abiogenesis if existing evidence didn't point them in that direction.

By contrast, they aren't looking for perpetual motion machines, since the evidence suggests that that would be a dead end.

You really don't understand what evidence is,or how it can be used. It isn't necessary to see abiogenesis to suspect it or find it.

The mere fact that science has found so many naturalistic explanations for physical phenomena like lightning and eclipses is evidence that other phenomena will succumb to similar investigations using the same method.
bohart wrote:
Also your same old worn out lies about amino acids,polymerization, organic compounds, etc, are all lab created and mean nothing when it comes to life . Nothing
Then you don't know biochemistry. Those are the ABCs of living things and life.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#150640 Jan 28, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Awesome. So you can't demonstrate that God doesn't exist.

Wouldn't it have been easier just to say that?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#150641 Jan 28, 2013
Tough sh!t. The research is happening without you.
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, because you say its different. Tell me what violations of the law of biogenesis , that life only comes from existing life, have ever been seen using your beloved scientific method? Since we all know the answer is zero, yours is a faith based belief.Also your same old worn out lies about amino acids,polymerization, organic compounds, etc, are all lab created and mean nothing when it comes to life . Nothing

Location hidden

#150642 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Scientists wouldn't be spending so much effort trying to solve the problem of abiogenesis if existing evidence didn't point them in that direction.
By contrast, they aren't looking for perpetual motion machines, since the evidence suggests that that would be a dead end.
You really don't understand what evidence is,or how it can be used. It isn't necessary to see abiogenesis to suspect it or find it.
The mere fact that science has found so many naturalistic explanations for physical phenomena like lightning and eclipses is evidence that other phenomena will succumb to similar investigations using the same method.
<quoted text>
Then you don't know biochemistry. Those are the ABCs of living things and life.
Hmmm.....biochemistry.

Let's see. You have an organic brain with a fixed matrix that over time develops new pathways and loops from experiences and chemicals added to the mix.

You smoke a little dope. It opens up new pathways for your brain to explore. Adds new perspectives.

You smoke a lot and it becomes a closed self-feeding loop. Puts a wall around the perspective. Makes one comfortable in their cocoon.

Same happens with many painkillers. Deadens the noise of the body and the world. And emotions. You get comfortably numb. And unable to expand your mind and perspectives.

A real waste, especially if this is your only time around.

Stunted growth.

Location hidden

#150643 Jan 28, 2013

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#150644 Jan 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>REDSEA!
YELLOWRIVER!
BLUELAGOON

Location hidden

#150645 Jan 28, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>A guy walks into a bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =77PymmxMLJMXX
Ouch! Of course the first thing he does is to inform his God on how much that hurt. LOL

Location hidden

#150646 Jan 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>What do you mean? African or European swallow?
Ok so we know a swallow must beat its wings 43 times per second, am I right?

Location hidden

#150647 Jan 28, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>http://www.youtube.com /watch?v=mVTW_-C014oXX
Not that Sue.

Location hidden

#150648 Jan 28, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Did you here about the Japanese - Jewish restaurant, it was called Sosueme.
:)

Location hidden

#150649 Jan 28, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Yes.

For people who can't maintain real companionship, an imaginary companion will suffice.

http://m.youtube.com/watch...
http://m.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

#150650 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>Your bible can't demonstrate anything but words it contains, which is proof of nothing except that the bible contains them.

mtimber wrote, "And as the Bible has shown it can be trusted ... "

Au contraire. Your bible is riddled with error and contradiction.

mtimber wrote, "you appeal to Christian principles of morality as the defining standard of your character."

What moral principles are original to Christianity? "Thou shalt not steal"? You stole that from the Jews.

Incidentally, whenever Christians pick and choose which commandments of their bible to accept and which to reject, they are applying an external standard to your so-called absolute biblical morality to do it.
"Your bible can't demonstrate anything but words it contains, which is proof of nothing except that the bible contains them."

"You stole that from the Jews."

No need showing off your stupidity any further. Jesus was a Rabbi the Christian faith was Jewish the split came years after Jesus. However the OT was always part of Christianity and the Jewish faiths. Nothing stolen.

Silly games the atheist play.

Why under this rule then the same holds true to science. Nothing but words and numbers in all their theory's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 23 min Eagle 12 2,283
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 41 min QUITTNER Dec 21 2014 2
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 5 hr _Bad Company 143
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 17 hr polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 23 hr Yiago 148
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) Sat thetruth 34
God' existence Sat thetruth 67
More from around the web