Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,224)

Showing posts 144,461 - 144,480 of223,061
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So what happened during this (rather inconvenient for atheism) nanosecond?
You do not know?
So you accept that the origin of the universe was caused by something that you cannot explain or quantify.
But you know it was not God.
Your pre-suppositional bias is apparent and revealed in your logically fallacious contradiction.
The best guesses at this point of what happens before the Planck time:

1. A previous, contracting universe.

2. A multiverse from which ours pinched off.

3. Nothing. Time may simply not be definable then.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There is absolutely no requirement that evidence be provided for you in this matter.
This is one of those things where you get it, or you don't. It is not a follow the herd issue, which your type is dependent upon to function. It is a personal issue deciding your future for yourself.
From your perspective your consciousness, your very being, will be dropped in the trash can upon your death in this existence. You will have spent a lot of time dwelling on an issue that means absolutely nothing in the larger scheme of things. Even any contributions you think you made to the advancement of mankind will be dropped in that same trash can. Succeeding generations will find their own way. You were just a fart in the wind.
Most of the ranting on here is directed against evangelical Christianity and the hierarchy found in organized religions. Pure and simple and plain old resentment of authority. This has caused many of those to deny any and all higher beings being responsible for this creation. It is a whistling by the graveyard thing. Absolute denial as a defense mechanism.
This resentment of authority is something also practiced by the religious. That is why you get so many different sects. All ideologies have people running the show. Religious and non-religious. Secular humanism, progressivenism, and a host of others also develop a hierarchy of people telling you how to act and think.
Spend more time enjoying life, and less in trying to tell others they are wrong for thinking and feeling the way they do.
For you seeking evidence of things may not be enjoyment, but for us skeptics that is pleasure. It is more enjoyable to study the evidence and test it yourself, science offers us this opportunity, religion does not because there is no evidence supplied by the religious people. To assert something that lacks evidence as fact is delusion, seek help for that delusion.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Strawman.
No one is arguing that "everything" is created by intelligence.
What is being argued that all things that are created, were created by intelligence.
God is eternal, so is not a part of the creation.
Please notice the shift in language. You went from 'everything has a cause' to 'everything that is created, is created by an intelligence'.

The first, obvious problem is that you have to show that 'being caused' and 'being created' are the same thing. But this is clearly wrong. An ice crystal can be caused by a decrease in temperature, but that crystal need not be 'created by an intelligence'. For example, it can form outside when the temperature drops.

But even your second claim (that everything created is created by an intelligence) is clearly wrong. Consider an ant colony. It was clearly created by those ants, but ant are not typically said to have intelligence. In fact, the creation of the ant colony is an instinctual act, not an intelligent one. The same can be said for spider webs, for example.

Finally, even if your (faulty) assumption that all created things are created by intelligences, to get your argument off the ground you still need to show those intelligences are created. Otherwise, your regression stops with human creators.

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Its called hearing voices and its a symptom of mental illness (like creationism). We' not crazy thank you very much.
You don't have to hear voices to be as crazy as a loon, psycho.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
Open to all atheists:
Atheists say they lack a belief in God.
God says that isn't true, that they do know of Him, but suppress that truth so they can continue sinning.
Now God, by His nature cannot lie.
But the atheist, appealing to subjective morality, is free to lie at will.
Therefore why would anyone believe an atheist who claims that they lack a belief in God?
You just have to love the circularity here. You assume there is a God that says this. And then you disbelieve the people who are right in front of you who say differently about themselves. Why should we believe you when you say there is a God?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

mtimber wrote:
That the first cause is a conclusion of logic and reason and indeed science is built on that principle?
This is false. Science is NOT built upon the first cause argument. Nor is it necessarily built on the concept that everything has a cause. It *is* built on the idea that we can make and test predictions based on our hypotheses.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
And on that point, as an atheist, I see no absolute moral reason why you would not lie that you do in fact know God, would you care to explain to me, upon what basis I should believe you?
Your inability to see moral reason outside of the belief in a deity is not our failing. Most atheists are atheists because they have a respect for truth. Most have searched for your God and have not found him, have read the Bible and found it repulsive, and have looked at the theological arguments and have found them wanting. Your refusal to take our lack of belief at face value shows a disrespect that make conversation difficult, if not impossible.

Finally, you have given us no reason as for why we should believe *you*. You claim to believe in a God, but cannot give us any evidence of this being. You say it is clear, but cannot provide anything in support of that clarity. And you claim your particular interpretation is correct without distinguishing it from all the others. I think you actually doubt the existence of God and are lying to us.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you asking for a reasoned argument or empirical evidence?
If you are arguing for empirical evidence, because that is the only method by which you measure the universe around you, then I would ask you to empirically show that a "rockdidit" (non life to life).
If you reject God based on a prejudiced appeal to empiricism, then you also have to reject:
arockdidit
nothingdidit
Please point to any post I have ever made where I discussed how life came to be.

It would be wonderful if you didn't post anything else until you did so.

Oh sweet blissful silence.

There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof of any god's existence.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
My argument is quite logical.
Everything created has a cause.
The first cause has to be by nature eternal.
To be eternal, the first cause has to operate outside of time.
The first cause has to be omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, all loving and eternal.
On the point of God being eternal.
He reveals the future consistently and accurately, therefore affirming He is outside of time and therefore the First Cause.
LOL...Only a true fundie can say "I am very logical" and "Everything created has a cause" and then turn around and say...well, everything except god..

...and not see the irony.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
Open to all atheists:
God says that isn't true, that they do know of Him, but suppress that truth so they can continue sinning.
Therefore why would anyone believe an atheist who claims that they lack a belief in God?
Because god isn't real and atheists are.

Glad to help.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

mtimber wrote:
Open to all atheists:
You jumped the track at "God says".

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is evidence that your god is real and that your bible is actually it's words?
Be specific.

Are you asking for empirical evidence?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You don't have to hear voices to be as crazy as a loon, psycho.
It helps.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you have not defined the concept of 'x causes y', I guess we are at an impasse. There is no evidence of a cause for the time of a muon decay. We have a predictive theory that describes muon decay as probabilistic with *nothing* different just before the decay from any other time. And you have nothing but stammering that there *must* be a cause.
Just because you have no evidence, does not mean it does not have a cause.

It operates within a theoretical system which means that it is affected by other elements.

Your argument basically is the same as the flat earth argument.

We cannot prove the earth is not flat, therefore it is flat.

May I suggest you have assumed that, because you need to maintain your worldview and justify a universe that does not have a first cause...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you are the professional in doing it, and it goes to reason you'd recognize it right off the bat.
No proof of that deity though, eh?
Do you have an actual argument or logical response to present?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
This passionate Muslim woman pens a poem to Allah. Her message applies to all desert religions
http://www.youtube.com/embed/ofzQ2qNBNAg ...
Nice. I wanted a transcripts of the poem, and found it.If anybody else is interested, here it is:

Dear Allah

I hope you get this letter, as Iím in a great deal of doubt.
I donít get your Divine Plan, whatís it all about?
There you are, before a creation to fill
Nothing but Allah, he, himself and his will,

Perhaps you were lonely, though even then you knew.
Youíd create angels, to obey and worship you.
Maybe this wasnít enough, you were not amused,
But why you created Satan, just leaves me bemused

You gave man a mind and a freewill to choose
Then demanded he believe in irrational, contradictory clues
While keeping yourself hidden from all verification
Threatening torture if we donít prostrate in supplication

You sent prophets and books to a patch of land
And miracles galore to that sacred area of sand
But before man can scientifically record and corroborate
You decide communications must now mysteriously terminate

You say you are testing mankind ó to see who is true
Though saint and sinner, you already knew
But worse than this is the consequence of this test
Itís results are iniquitous ó perverse at best

Those, who accept on faith, myths handed down
Will enjoy eternal bliss and never have to frown
While those who insist on reasoning with their brain
Will be sent to the fire of Hell to suffer eternal pain

Dear Allah none of this makes sense to me
Please tell me if there is something Iíve failed to see
And I donít understand when so many suffer and die
What is the reason ó I cannot see why?

Was it a test for the baby, her father or mother
Or was she sacrificed to test someone other?
When you planned all this did you count every tear
Was your ultimate purpose that we tremble in fear

And when all are in Heaven or Hell ó as dictated by fate
Will you sit back on your throne to shouts of ďAllah is GreatĒ?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
We do not know. We have not been able to test our understanding at the energies required for that time period. In particular, we do not have a testable theory of quantum gravity, which would be required to understand the very early universe. But, since the Big Bang is a description of *after* that time period, I don't see the problem.
So you accept it by faith then, that this event happened.

So on that basis, how do you know tomorrow that the universe will not behave in exactly the same way as it did in the pass?

Considering you allow for unexplained miracles affecting the very existence of the universe?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting, you see, I completely destroy your assertion here.
I don't have sex, at all, I abhor it actually.
I don't lie, it's too complicated to keep lies straight so I just don't do it.
I don't steal, never needed or wanted to.
I don't want anything that I cannot achieve myself, my agnostic father was a firm believer that if you cannot get it yourself, you don't deserve it anyway.
I don't drink, being drunk is horrible to me, losing control of one's mind is something that frightens me.
Never done any drugs other than tobacco.
Oh wait, most of that is not considered a "sin" anyway ... and any action with negative impacts on society can be justified by the bible so meh. Seems I am actually "purer" than even the christians. Wait, what was your point again?
You are an atheist.

You have no absolute standard of morality, so no absolute requirement to tell the truth.

You then say you do not lie.

Why should I believe you?

Taking your professed worldview into account, why should I believe you?
Imhotep

Floral City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists often say lots of things, often not very consistent with what they have said before.
But atheists are not my absolute standard of truth.
God is.
And God tells us in the Bible, that you do know about Him.
But that you are denying His reality, because you want to live a selfish sinful existence.
On this point, knowing you do not have any absolute requirement for telling the truth as an atheist, I have to accept Gods point of the view on the matter.
I have to remain consistent with my worldview.
I challenge you to do the same.
And on that point, as an atheist, I see no absolute moral reason why you would not lie that you do in fact know God, would you care to explain to me, upon what basis I should believe you?
Read your Bible

Ironically, the shallow nature of fundamentalist Christian talking points can be revealed by looking at the Bible, which is the very tool used to create the talking points in the first place.

According to fundamentalist Christians, the Bible is to be taken seriously as the authoritative word of a supreme, all powerful being.

And yet, the Bible does not confirm the talking points as being reliable or truthful.

One definition of a myth is as follows,
Myth:
A person or thing having only an imaginary or unverifiable existence

The key word here is unverifiable.

It cannot be established as reality, factual, or binding on others.

Some popular talking points are listed below, and all of them have more holes in them than a Swiss cheese.

Jesus was fully God and fully man.
Jesus is God, God is Triune, being composed of three co-eternal, co-equal persons.
This is the doctrine of the "Trinity", which is one of the most popular talking points and also one of the most convoluted, unsubstantiated claims in the Christian stable of theistic propaganda.

To be fully God and fully man at the same time is the theological equivalent of a shirt that is made out of 100% wool and 100% cotton.

A son by definition must also be younger than his father.

Christians parrot this "Trinity" canard constantly in an attempt to turn it into reality and a universal fact.

It is nothing of the sort.

The Athanasian Creed, which assertively sets forth the doctrine of the Trinity, also declares it to be incomprehensible.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The vast majority of them do say that quantum events are uncaused. the basic theory of QM describes things as uncaused (again, depending somewhat on the definition of causality).
Vast majority of phycisists accept that quantum events are uncaused?

Do you have some statistics you can refer to, to support this claim?

Or is this merely your opinion?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 144,461 - 144,480 of223,061
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••