Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,221)

Showing posts 144,401 - 144,420 of223,928
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to challenge this.
It is not "known" that anything is uncaused.
You have assumed something is uncaused, but you have no empirical evidence for that claim.
So you are arguing from a presupposition and not a verifiable fact.
The clarity you claim, does not come supported by the scientific community.
The default position, the null hypothesis as it is called in science, is that nothing is cause by anything. Then you follow the evidence to find what something causes. That's how good science works. You want to work backwards, and start with presumption, not a null hypothesis, that's not how good science works.

We deny your claim that it was all caused by what you want it to be cause by because you lack evidence, you make the claim, we just deny your unsupported claim.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So that nanosecond, what happened then?
You don't know, we don't know, you just lie and claim you do know.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your sense of reality is a bit distorted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muon#Muon_decay
Those alleged muons are jailed by the forces about them. They need to change for the decay to happen. They are corralled within a collection of forces which in turn are corralled by larger forces without. They are captured energies forced into a circuit by the larger universe. Part of the Big Bang thingy of being a contained system of matter and energy, conservation of matter and energy, and all of those other things we assume to be true,
Now, a careful reading of that article, and most any other physics article, will reveal a certain circular logic within the observation process and system based upon math which is based upon perhaps some wrong assumptions made much earlier in the development of the system of said observation process.
Your "reality" based upon such is a delusion.
Good post.
Imhotep

Silver Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Oh and I meant to throw in, great effort but sadly with daffy it's a waste of time. You can find dozens of times where he denies what the bible says demanding chapter and verse. You give him the chapter and verse and he either ignores that you provided him with it or uses the standard apologetic excuses A: it's figurative in that case. B: it doesn't really say that and let me dig up an obscure version if the bible that words it slightly differently. C: You are an atheist and so you don't have the secret decoder excuse ring. D: Insert random Ad Hom attack here.
That's Daffy Duck12 for you!
<quoted text>
Sorry...
Previous response was for another poster.:(

I do appreciate the background on the poster you were referring to.

The Bible contains a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre, but we are not bound by any of it because it was put together by crude, uncultured goat herders.

Given the information readily available it is odd so many individuals find this book so compelling, yet have never read it!

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
If you are hanging with me feel free to lose the bra. Let the girls breathe :)
<quoted text>
U lucky u weren't around last night, i was possessed by a spirit or something!

Yes Sir!

I'll teach them the breathing technique u taught me..

Inhale, exhale and repeat....Inhale, exhale and repeat...Inhale, exhale and repeat...!

You were right it does come in handy!

OK, now your turn to let the boys breathe! ;-)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
Give it up, Einstein. You were produced by something beyond your comprehension. And a lot smarter than you.
I might have to remember that one...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Serah wrote:
I am glad you appreciate our DNA
Thanks.

And I'm glad that you appreciate pugs. I have a puggle - half pug, half beagle.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Serah wrote:
You have obviously not had any messages from your Ancestors from the other side.
That is correct, but my eyes and ears are wide open. Maybe today.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Which, by you way of reasoning, must have been produced by something beyond its comprehension and a lot smarter that it ... which must have been produced by something beyond its comprehension and a lot smarter that it ... etc ... etc ... etc.
You probably impress the hell out of yourself by coming up with such reasoning. It sounds so intellectual. Even if it just leaves you sitting there with your mind running in circles, going nowhere.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably impress the hell out of yourself by coming up with such reasoning. It sounds so intellectual. Even if it just leaves you sitting there with your mind running in circles, going nowhere.
It is a valid point. If everything requires something intelligent to create, then so does that which creates it require something intelligent to create, thereby creating an infinite regression. If one thing can exist, anything at all, without intelligent creation then so can anything exist without intelligent creation. Thus if you propose a god that created this universe that was not created by something else, then the universe itself can happen to exist without that god you proposed, making the existence of such a god meaningless and useless.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
It is not "known" that anything is uncaused. You have assumed something is uncaused, but you have no empirical evidence for that claim.
The physicists tell us that quantum events are uncaused, and there is good experimental evidence to support that claim.

Do you believe that there is free will? If you believe that any aspect of will is uncaused, then you just contradicted yourself. If you believe that every aspect of will and is determined by a cause, then you have ruled out the possibility of free will.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
Because the Big Bang theory ... works very well from less than a nanosecond into the expansion phase until the present.
mtimber wrote:
So that nanosecond, what happened then?
He said less than a nanosecond.

It's actually, much, much, MUCH less than a nanosecond, perhaps as little as 5.4 x 10E-44 seconds, the Planck time.

A nanosecond is 10E-9 seconds, a billionth of a second.

A billionth of a billionth of a second is called an attosecond, 10E-18 seconds.

A millionth of this value is called a yoctosecond, 10E-24 seconds. After this, we run out of prefixes, with twenty more powers of ten needed. The amount of time we are discussing is less than a billion billionths of a yoctosecond - much less, about 2%.

54 billion billion billion billion billionths of a second. That's the size of the gap that your god must squeeze into for now.

@ polymath - did I get that right?

Since: Mar 11

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

My turn my turn! You don't have to tell me twice to let the boys breathe free of the confines of demon pants!

You let the girls breathe along with that breathing exercise I taught you and beautiful babies are bound to happen ;-)
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
U lucky u weren't around last night, i was possessed by a spirit or something!
Yes Sir!
I'll teach them the breathing technique u taught me..
Inhale, exhale and repeat....Inhale, exhale and repeat...Inhale, exhale and repeat...!
You were right it does come in handy!
OK, now your turn to let the boys breathe! ;-)

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a valid point. If everything requires something intelligent to create, then so does that which creates it require something intelligent to create, thereby creating an infinite regression. If one thing can exist, anything at all, without intelligent creation then so can anything exist without intelligent creation. Thus if you propose a god that created this universe that was not created by something else, then the universe itself can happen to exist without that god you proposed, making the existence of such a god meaningless and useless.
Sweetie, you are at the bottom of the pecking order. Follow the chain of command.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I have made no such claim...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
nothing is cause by anything.
Can you clarify this as it appears you are claiming that nothing has a source?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you accept it as a presupposition that it must have happened?

You don't know it did, or how it did, but you know it did...

Please clarify.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweetie, you are at the bottom of the pecking order. Follow the chain of command.
If only you actually knew something. Can you not address the infinite regression or are you proposing that only your god is exempt from the "everything needs a creator" assertion?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you clarify this as it appears you are claiming that nothing has a source?
Can you avoid red herrings?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Strawman.

No one is arguing that "everything" is created by intelligence.

What is being argued that all things that are created, were created by intelligence.

God is eternal, so is not a part of the creation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 144,401 - 144,420 of223,928
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••