Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,220)

Showing posts 144,381 - 144,400 of223,285
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not, there even when you say it is.
Whatever this means.

Will any other poster step up and translate Eagle's post for us?

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

I think he was trying to be insulting, in his own low IQ way. I could be wrong though, after all when trying to decode word salad it is akin to walking the tightrope without a safety net.

Remember when he said an Arab walking into his Dad's hospital room converted him to Christianity? Lol! Who even knows where he was going with that lie!
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever this means.
Will any other poster step up and translate Eagle's post for us?

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
~ Carl Sagan ~

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Keep quacking daffy at least you are good for a laugh.

I couldn't help but notice you failed to answer my question about Jesus' failed prophecy, must be a tremendous shame that your messiah failed so miserably and worse lied to children! Tisk! How low could he go?

So do tell daffy, you lied oops I mean claimed that your dad was an atheist but converted on his death bed when a Middle Eastern man went into his room yes? So who was this Arab anyways? I mean you do know hospitals just don't allow anyone to go into patients rooms especially deathly ill patients thy are understandably extra protective of. When my grandpa was dying I always had to sign in even though they knew me by name. So this Middle Eastern man had to have been on his approved contact list or had to be an approved member of the hospital staff. Now for concern of your father when he told this story didn't you enquire who this strange person was? Who was he? What did he do?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your septic tank is full of human excrement. That’s why it’s backing up.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

lightbeamrider wrote:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
That's why I'm an atheist.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

If you are hanging with me feel free to lose the bra. Let the girls breathe :)
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
That's where i see it too!
Some people think the world revolves around them! Yh, i'm talkin' about u, liberty guy!:-p

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
We can test [your god's] claims that affect matter:

He promised to answer prayer.
He promised to move mountains for just a mustard seed of faith.
He promised every believer a peace that passeth all understanding
He promised them fruits of the spirit.
He promised to return soon - before the last of his audience died.

They all fail. Your god has kept none of those promises. We can't test the promises that don't affect matter, such as the promise of an afterlife in heaven or hell, but I'm sure that you can trust that one.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Which He does [answer prayer].
<quoted text>
[Move a mountain with faith] Figure of speech, bro.
<quoted text>
Intellectual dishonesty. It's "peace of God which passeth all understanding", which comes from trusting God.
<quoted text>
"The fruit of the Spirit" is the moral character developed by the power of the Spirit, which we have.
<quoted text>
His audience is not dead, there's about 2.2 billion if us right now.
You don't really expect any more from your god than I do, do you? I wonder how you would respond if you could to the disappointment of not getting heaven, either. Perhaps, "Figure of speech"?

You're obviously being lied to. You don't really care if you're right or wrong, do you, just as long as you're comforted.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

“The [undetectable] and the non-existent look very much alike”- Delos B. McKown
RiversideRedneck wrote:
McKown would've been a terrible DNA theoretician 150 years ago.....
DNA has always been detectable indirectly.

It's effects were well know - indirectly - in the phenotypes of living things, and exploited by horticulturists and animal breeders long before the details were worked out.

That awareness of the existence of something like DNA is why they began looking for it. When they found it, the only surprises were the structure and mechanism of genetic transmission, not the fact of heritability residing in some material substrate in the cell.

Contrast this with your god, heaven angels and the like, which you describe as living in another reality, and not detectible even in principle.

Where are the manifestations in our world analogous to the physical traits in living things that led us to the DNA? If prayer worked, it would be easy to demonstrate its efficacy. But it has been repeated shown that it doesn't.

That's what the quote meant. Claiming that something exists but has no effect on reality - undetectable even in principle - is saying that it isn't a part of our reality, which is functionally equivalent to not existing. Your god is indistinguishable from no god, or a dead god.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
DNA has always been detectable indirectly.
It's effects were well know - indirectly - in the phenotypes of living things, and exploited by horticulturists and animal breeders long before the details were worked out.
That awareness of the existence of something like DNA is why they began looking for it. When they found it, the only surprises were the structure and mechanism of genetic transmission, not the fact of heritability residing in some material substrate in the cell.
Contrast this with your god, heaven angels and the like, which you describe as living in another reality, and not detectible even in principle.
Where are the manifestations in our world analogous to the physical traits in living things that led us to the DNA? If prayer worked, it would be easy to demonstrate its efficacy. But it has been repeated shown that it doesn't.
That's what the quote meant. Claiming that something exists but has no effect on reality - undetectable even in principle - is saying that it isn't a part of our reality, which is functionally equivalent to not existing. Your god is indistinguishable from no god, or a dead god.
I am glad you appreciate our DNA ~***The first is his very public embrace of religion. Dr. Collins, who was not raised with any religious training, wrote a book called "The Language of God," and he has given many talks and interviews in which he has described his conversion to Christianity as a 27-year-old medical school intern. "I came at this from a position of ignorance," he said. "I came at it from an intellectual point of view." Religion and genetic research have long had a fraught relationship, and some in the field are uneasy about what they see as Dr. Collins's evangelism.

The other objection stems from his leadership of the Human Genome Project, which is part of the N.I.H. Although Dr. Collins was widely praised in 2003 when the effort succeeded, the hopes that this discovery would yield an array of promising medical interventions have greatly dimmed, discouraging many.

While Dr. Collins cannot be blamed for the unexpected scientific hurdles facing genetic research, he played an important role in raising expectations impossibly high. In interviews, he had called the effort "the most important and the most significant project that humankind has ever mounted" and predicted it would quickly allow everyone to know the genetic risks for many diseases.

Some scientists and advocates for people suffering from diseases criticized the extraordinary amount of money and attention the sequencing effort garnered, saying it distracted from more fruitful areas of research.

Dr. Collins's confirmation by the Senate is all but certain. He has long cultivated good relations on Capitol Hill. And since the administration finalized rules for broader use of stem cells in federal research before nominating him, anti-abortion forces will have a harder time using that issue to stop his confirmation.

http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/ti... ***

It is indeed exciting, is it not?

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You don't really expect any more from your god than I do, do you? I wonder how you would respond if you could to the disappointment of not getting heaven, either. Perhaps, "Figure of speech"?
You're obviously being lied to. You don't really care if you're right or wrong, do you, just as long as you're comforted.
You have obviously not had any messages from your Ancestors from the other side. If you had, you would not have written some of the stuff you have written. For this reason, I pity you..... even though you will never understand why :(

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>You have obviously not had any messages from your Ancestors from the other side. If you had, you would not have written some of the stuff you have written. For this reason, I pity you..... even though you will never understand why :(
Its called hearing voices and its a symptom of mental illness (like creationism). We' not crazy thank you very much.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
I am glad you appreciate our DNA ~***The first is his very public embrace of religion. Dr. Collins, who was not raised with any religious training, wrote a book called "The Language of God," and he has given many talks and interviews in which he has described his conversion to Christianity as a 27-year-old medical school intern. "I came at this from a position of ignorance," he said. "I came at it from an intellectual point of view." Religion and genetic research have long had a fraught relationship, and some in the field are uneasy about what they see as Dr. Collins's evangelism.
The other objection stems from his leadership of the Human Genome Project, which is part of the N.I.H. Although Dr. Collins was widely praised in 2003 when the effort succeeded, the hopes that this discovery would yield an array of promising medical interventions have greatly dimmed, discouraging many.
While Dr. Collins cannot be blamed for the unexpected scientific hurdles facing genetic research, he played an important role in raising expectations impossibly high. In interviews, he had called the effort "the most important and the most significant project that humankind has ever mounted" and predicted it would quickly allow everyone to know the genetic risks for many diseases.
Some scientists and advocates for people suffering from diseases criticized the extraordinary amount of money and attention the sequencing effort garnered, saying it distracted from more fruitful areas of research.
Dr. Collins's confirmation by the Senate is all but certain. He has long cultivated good relations on Capitol Hill. And since the administration finalized rules for broader use of stem cells in federal research before nominating him, anti-abortion forces will have a harder time using that issue to stop his confirmation.
http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/ti... ***
It is indeed exciting, is it not?
If you deny evolution, why don't you deny gravity? it's just as proven.

maybe its because it requires very little intelligence to observe and realise that nothing floats on its own.

Now if you applied a little more intelligence, you would realise that criticizing science is pointless when you have no proof of god or any of your ridiculous religious lies.
Imhotep

Silver Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not, there even when you say it is.
Of course it is!

“None so blind as those that will not see.”
Matthew Henry (1662-1714)
English Presbyterian minister and writer

Modern scholarship exposes the barbarous nonsense of the Bible as never before. The men who, 1800 years ago, wrote the gospels, knew nothing of science and rationality. They could in no manner anticipate the skills and insights which would be brought to bear on their pious fantasy far into the future.

Until relatively recent times, the Bible was a forbidden book, denied to all but the clergy. In the vast compendium of nonsense, selectively read in Latin (or Greek) to an illiterate peasantry, who would have noticed the myriad inconsistencies, contradictions and absurdities?

Apologist attempts to turn this disaster to his advantage. "The errors obviously prove the essential truth. If the writers had wanted to tell a lie they would have got it right."

These 'writers' were con men of their time... unable to anticipate mass literacy, the printing press, computers or the internet.

;-)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you,:)
The sad state of a theist, you take pride in being uneducated and stupid.

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Of course the Christian faith had it's roots in way deep before the bible was accessible to the common man. It's foundation and stigmas were set long before the people knew what they were signing up for.

Insidious indeed.
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it is!
Modern scholarship exposes the barbarous nonsense of the Bible as never before. The men who, 1800 years ago, wrote the gospels, knew nothing of science and rationality. They could in no manner anticipate the skills and insights which would be brought to bear on their pious fantasy far into the future.
Until relatively recent times, the Bible was a forbidden book, denied to all but the clergy. In the vast compendium of nonsense, selectively read in Latin (or Greek) to an illiterate peasantry, who would have noticed the myriad inconsistencies, contradictions and absurdities?
Apologist attempts to turn this disaster to his advantage. "The errors obviously prove the essential truth. If the writers had wanted to tell a lie they would have got it right."
These 'writers' were con men of their time... unable to anticipate mass literacy, the printing press, computers or the internet.
;-)

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Oh and I meant to throw in, great effort but sadly with daffy it's a waste of time. You can find dozens of times where he denies what the bible says demanding chapter and verse. You give him the chapter and verse and he either ignores that you provided him with it or uses the standard apologetic excuses A: it's figurative in that case. B: it doesn't really say that and let me dig up an obscure version if the bible that words it slightly differently. C: You are an atheist and so you don't have the secret decoder excuse ring. D: Insert random Ad Hom attack here.

That's Daffy Duck12 for you!
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it is!
;-)

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you mean 'interpretations', like the Copenhagen interpretation or the many-worlds interpretation, I do not use *any* of them. I simply use quantum mechanics. The interpretations are methods of attempting to explain QM in terms of classical notions. That is a fundamental error. You explain the old theory in terms of the new one, not the other way around.
<quoted text>
Well, the point is that a muon just before the decay is exactly the same as a muon at any other time. It is a fundamental particle, which means there is no 'internal clock' ticking that determines when it decays. The decay is inherently probabilistic (not possible to determine when it will happen no matter what information you have previous to the decay), and so is not 'caused'.
<quoted text>
Like I also said, the vast majority of quantum phenomena are un-caused. They are inherently probabilistic and not determined by previous conditions. Again, that is fundamental to how quantum mechanics works (no matter what the interpretation).
I have to challenge this.

It is not "known" that anything is uncaused.

You have assumed something is uncaused, but you have no empirical evidence for that claim.

So you are arguing from a presupposition and not a verifiable fact.

The clarity you claim, does not come supported by the scientific community.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the Big Bang theory gives testable predictions and those predictions agree with the evidence. The Big Bang theory, as used by cosmologists, says that the universe was once very hot and dense and has been expanding since that time. It uses general relativity, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics to describe the conditions and dynamics of the universe. At this point, it works very well from less than a nanosecond into the expansion phase until the present. In particular, the LCDM (lambda, cold dark matter) theory predicts the detailed nature of the cosmic background radiation and is the modern version of the Big bang scenario with inflation.
So that nanosecond, what happened then?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, I've not pre-supposed anything of the sort. How about we do this:
Evil: 1 a : morally reprehensible : sinful, wicked <an evil impulse>
b : arising from actual or imputed bad character or conduct <a person of evil reputation>
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/evi...
So, now that we have a definition, back to the question:
"Slavery, rape and putting every infant to the sword isn't evil?"
I'm getting the distinct impression you are very uncomfortable with answering the question.
You have expressed an understanding of a term of morality...

That does not mean you have not appealed to an absolute standard...
Imhotep

Silver Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Oh and I meant to throw in, great effort but sadly with daffy it's a waste of time. You can find dozens of times where he denies what the bible says demanding chapter and verse. You give him the chapter and verse and he either ignores that you provided him with it or uses the standard apologetic excuses A: it's figurative in that case. B: it doesn't really say that and let me dig up an obscure version if the bible that words it slightly differently. C: You are an atheist and so you don't have the secret decoder excuse ring. D: Insert random Ad Hom attack here.
That's Daffy Duck12 for you!
<quoted text>
My principles are not a faith.

I distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason.

If one must be defined by some 'brand' of religion I recommend Jainism.

This passionate Muslim woman pens a poem to Allah. Her message applies to all desert religions

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ofzQ2qNBNAg ...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 144,381 - 144,400 of223,285
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••