Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
144,361 - 144,380 of 226,131 Comments Last updated 13 min ago

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at what clothing has done to us!
It's evil!
What ever will we do?
U got a point actually!

U could use a bra, thongs and other stuff as weapons! a tie is a weapon for sure!!

I never knew there was a sharp metal thingy inside of a wire bra. It came outta my bra as i was wearing it and it stabbed me in the blumin' chest, i was in so much pain, i had to tell the teacher i wasn't feelin' well just so that i could go home and quickly take if off. Also wearing bra's give u back and chest problems, i'm sure they do, they need to do a survey thingy on this subject.

But u guys have it easy, u don't have to wear body tight clothes, but us girls have to wear tight everything! You just eat a little bit more than usual, then u got to hold your stomach in all day long.

i think we should all take our clothes off and burn them!! That's the only way!!! I think u should start it off, Tide!

Go Tide, go Tide, burn your clothes, feel freedom!!

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
ďThe [undetectable] and the non-existent look very much alikeĒ-Delos B. McKown
McKown would've been a terrible DNA theoretician 150 years ago.....

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
U got a point actually!
U could use a bra, thongs and other stuff as weapons! a tie is a weapon for sure!!
I never knew there was a sharp metal thingy inside of a wire bra. It came outta my bra as i was wearing it and it stabbed me in the blumin' chest, i was in so much pain, i had to tell the teacher i wasn't feelin' well just so that i could go home and quickly take if off. Also wearing bra's give u back and chest problems, i'm sure they do, they need to do a survey thingy on this subject.
But u guys have it easy, u don't have to wear body tight clothes, but us girls have to wear tight everything! You just eat a little bit more than usual, then u got to hold your stomach in all day long.
i think we should all take our clothes off and burn them!! That's the only way!!! I think u should start it off, Tide!
Go Tide, go Tide, burn your clothes, feel freedom!!
I'll never wear a bra again.

You have my word.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
You have my word.
Lets hope that Ar Ar doesn't try to follow your example.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
As an example there is a law of biogenesis, that life only comes from existing life. The absence of evidence that this law is violated after many and repeated attempts is in fact evidence of absence. Given the number of ways we have looked, and the strictness of the law,( hence the high degree of testability),the prolonged absence of evidence of violations is very,very good evidence for the law.
Thats a great arguement.
The difference is that we are very early in our investigations of abiogenesis. it is only recently that we have learned the chemical foundations for life (even the simple fact that DNA is the genetic material was only learned 55 years ago). We are also only beginning to really understand the conditions on the early earth. In addition, when we have investigated this question, the obstacles that originally appeared have, over time, been found to be *less* of a problem than expected. It was originally thought that organic compounds could only arise in living systems. That was shown wrong. Then it was thought that amino acids couldn't form under conditions expected on the early earth. That was found wrong. Then it was thought that polymerization to form more complicated chemicals would be unlikely and that was found wrong. And it was thought that membrane systems wouldn't be able to form and *that* was found to be wrong.

The problems are that we do not understand the chemistry for life nearly well enough to solve this problem yet. But each obstacle that was thought to be there has been shown to dissipate under study.

So the question of abiogenesis is closer to attempting to bridge a gap than anything else. Life *is* a chemical process. The main question is how the original chemicals came together in the correct amounts and in the right places.

We can also turn this around and note that *every* time we have found a cause for *anything*, it has always been a physical cause. That is absolute and nothing has ever even hinted at anything different. So, again, it is reasonable to suspect a physical cause for the beginning of life.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an atheist forum.
At least it is on my phone and pc.
Most posters see it in the Top Stories forum. Get over it.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference is that we are very early in our investigations of abiogenesis.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
You have my word.
Good! I'm in a fighting mood today, so don't get on the wrong side of me!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Most posters see it in the Top Stories forum. Get over it.
That's where i see it too!

Some people think the world revolves around them! Yh, i'm talkin' about u, liberty guy!:-p

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference is that we are very early in our investigations of abiogenesis. it is only recently that we have learned the chemical foundations for life (even the simple fact that DNA is the genetic material was only learned 55 years ago). We are also only beginning to really understand the conditions on the early earth. In addition, when we have investigated this question, the obstacles that originally appeared have, over time, been found to be *less* of a problem than expected. It was originally thought that organic compounds could only arise in living systems. That was shown wrong. Then it was thought that amino acids couldn't form under conditions expected on the early earth. That was found wrong. Then it was thought that polymerization to form more complicated chemicals would be unlikely and that was found wrong. And it was thought that membrane systems wouldn't be able to form and *that* was found to be wrong.
The problems are that we do not understand the chemistry for life nearly well enough to solve this problem yet. But each obstacle that was thought to be there has been shown to dissipate under study.
So the question of abiogenesis is closer to attempting to bridge a gap than anything else. Life *is* a chemical process. The main question is how the original chemicals came together in the correct amounts and in the right places.
We can also turn this around and note that *every* time we have found a cause for *anything*, it has always been a physical cause. That is absolute and nothing has ever even hinted at anything different. So, again, it is reasonable to suspect a physical cause for the beginning of life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis

Something zapped them in just the right way.

It wasn't Charlie Darwin. He just noted some of the eventual effects.

Those chemicals had to be forced to merge in the right circuitry. 14 or less billion years is not enough time for the process to start. Plus the processes had to survive a varying environment. One cosmic ray could ruin a bacterium's day. Plus all the other environmental thingies that could strip it apart.

Give it up, Einstein. You were produced by something beyond your comprehension. And a lot smarter than you.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Clementia wrote:
Good! I'm in a fighting mood today, so don't get on the wrong side of me!!
I'll help you.

I know some moves.
Jox

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>

I gave up waiting for proof of your god a long time ago.
No you haven't. You know you are lying to yourself.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>...Give it up, Einstein. You were produced by something beyond your comprehension. And a lot smarter than you.
Which, by you way of reasoning, must have been produced by something beyond its comprehension and a lot smarter that it ... which must have been produced by something beyond its comprehension and a lot smarter that it ... etc ... etc ... etc.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
So a creating man from a lump of clay with a magical **poof** by some invisible sky deity must require a ton of proof.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
Lets hope that Ar Ar doesn't try to follow your example.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
You come here to troll but want to cry when treated as such? You have no moral ground to stand on. I have a friend who is a mod on topix/ chicago tribune we met while campaigning for Obama. I have advertised on topix before and will again.
Good luck with that troll :)
<quoted text>
I donít care about your world power and influence.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
There is no way you have a high school level education. Just no effig way.
<quoted text>
Thank you,:)

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Look again:
"before all ... had died"
"some standing here which shall not taste of death"
'Before all die' is the same as 'while some still live.'
Not, there even when you say it is.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
He told the children at his feet that some of them would not die before the end came. Are you so retarded that you think there are some 2000 year old people walking around waiting for Jesus? You of course have no answer for this.
Lol! Hey what's the largest CHRISTIAN church again?:))
<quoted text>
Your septic tank is full of human excrement. Thatís why itís backing up.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not, there even when you say it is.
Whatever this means.

Will any other poster step up and translate Eagle's post for us?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 4 min NightSerf 6
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 8 min Reason Personified 3
Our world came from nothing? 20 min Reason Personified 391
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 3 hr Patrick 24
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr ChristineM 898
100% Faith Free 4 hr Patrick 4
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 10 hr fadu singh 21,483
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••