Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#150284 Jan 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference is that we are very early in our investigations of abiogenesis.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#150285 Jan 26, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll never wear a bra again.
You have my word.
Good! I'm in a fighting mood today, so don't get on the wrong side of me!!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#150286 Jan 26, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Most posters see it in the Top Stories forum. Get over it.
That's where i see it too!

Some people think the world revolves around them! Yh, i'm talkin' about u, liberty guy!:-p

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#150287 Jan 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference is that we are very early in our investigations of abiogenesis. it is only recently that we have learned the chemical foundations for life (even the simple fact that DNA is the genetic material was only learned 55 years ago). We are also only beginning to really understand the conditions on the early earth. In addition, when we have investigated this question, the obstacles that originally appeared have, over time, been found to be *less* of a problem than expected. It was originally thought that organic compounds could only arise in living systems. That was shown wrong. Then it was thought that amino acids couldn't form under conditions expected on the early earth. That was found wrong. Then it was thought that polymerization to form more complicated chemicals would be unlikely and that was found wrong. And it was thought that membrane systems wouldn't be able to form and *that* was found to be wrong.
The problems are that we do not understand the chemistry for life nearly well enough to solve this problem yet. But each obstacle that was thought to be there has been shown to dissipate under study.
So the question of abiogenesis is closer to attempting to bridge a gap than anything else. Life *is* a chemical process. The main question is how the original chemicals came together in the correct amounts and in the right places.
We can also turn this around and note that *every* time we have found a cause for *anything*, it has always been a physical cause. That is absolute and nothing has ever even hinted at anything different. So, again, it is reasonable to suspect a physical cause for the beginning of life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis

Something zapped them in just the right way.

It wasn't Charlie Darwin. He just noted some of the eventual effects.

Those chemicals had to be forced to merge in the right circuitry. 14 or less billion years is not enough time for the process to start. Plus the processes had to survive a varying environment. One cosmic ray could ruin a bacterium's day. Plus all the other environmental thingies that could strip it apart.

Give it up, Einstein. You were produced by something beyond your comprehension. And a lot smarter than you.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#150288 Jan 26, 2013
Clementia wrote:
Good! I'm in a fighting mood today, so don't get on the wrong side of me!!
I'll help you.

I know some moves.
Jox

United States

#150289 Jan 26, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>

I gave up waiting for proof of your god a long time ago.
No you haven't. You know you are lying to yourself.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#150291 Jan 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>...Give it up, Einstein. You were produced by something beyond your comprehension. And a lot smarter than you.
Which, by you way of reasoning, must have been produced by something beyond its comprehension and a lot smarter that it ... which must have been produced by something beyond its comprehension and a lot smarter that it ... etc ... etc ... etc.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#150292 Jan 26, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
So a creating man from a lump of clay with a magical **poof** by some invisible sky deity must require a ton of proof.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#150293 Jan 26, 2013
scaritual wrote:
Lets hope that Ar Ar doesn't try to follow your example.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#150294 Jan 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You come here to troll but want to cry when treated as such? You have no moral ground to stand on. I have a friend who is a mod on topix/ chicago tribune we met while campaigning for Obama. I have advertised on topix before and will again.
Good luck with that troll :)
<quoted text>
I donít care about your world power and influence.

Southern Illinois

#150295 Jan 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
There is no way you have a high school level education. Just no effig way.
<quoted text>
Thank you,:)

Southern Illinois

#150296 Jan 26, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Look again:
"before all ... had died"
"some standing here which shall not taste of death"
'Before all die' is the same as 'while some still live.'
Not, there even when you say it is.

Southern Illinois

#150297 Jan 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
He told the children at his feet that some of them would not die before the end came. Are you so retarded that you think there are some 2000 year old people walking around waiting for Jesus? You of course have no answer for this.
Lol! Hey what's the largest CHRISTIAN church again?:))
<quoted text>
Your septic tank is full of human excrement. Thatís why itís backing up.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#150299 Jan 26, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not, there even when you say it is.
Whatever this means.

Will any other poster step up and translate Eagle's post for us?

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#150300 Jan 26, 2013
I think he was trying to be insulting, in his own low IQ way. I could be wrong though, after all when trying to decode word salad it is akin to walking the tightrope without a safety net.

Remember when he said an Arab walking into his Dad's hospital room converted him to Christianity? Lol! Who even knows where he was going with that lie!
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever this means.
Will any other poster step up and translate Eagle's post for us?

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#150301 Jan 26, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
~ Carl Sagan ~

Louisville, KY

#150302 Jan 26, 2013
Keep quacking daffy at least you are good for a laugh.

I couldn't help but notice you failed to answer my question about Jesus' failed prophecy, must be a tremendous shame that your messiah failed so miserably and worse lied to children! Tisk! How low could he go?

So do tell daffy, you lied oops I mean claimed that your dad was an atheist but converted on his death bed when a Middle Eastern man went into his room yes? So who was this Arab anyways? I mean you do know hospitals just don't allow anyone to go into patients rooms especially deathly ill patients thy are understandably extra protective of. When my grandpa was dying I always had to sign in even though they knew me by name. So this Middle Eastern man had to have been on his approved contact list or had to be an approved member of the hospital staff. Now for concern of your father when he told this story didn't you enquire who this strange person was? Who was he? What did he do?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your septic tank is full of human excrement. Thatís why itís backing up.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#150304 Jan 27, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
That's why I'm an atheist.

Louisville, KY

#150305 Jan 27, 2013
If you are hanging with me feel free to lose the bra. Let the girls breathe :)
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
That's where i see it too!
Some people think the world revolves around them! Yh, i'm talkin' about u, liberty guy!:-p

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#150306 Jan 27, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
We can test [your god's] claims that affect matter:

He promised to answer prayer.
He promised to move mountains for just a mustard seed of faith.
He promised every believer a peace that passeth all understanding
He promised them fruits of the spirit.
He promised to return soon - before the last of his audience died.

They all fail. Your god has kept none of those promises. We can't test the promises that don't affect matter, such as the promise of an afterlife in heaven or hell, but I'm sure that you can trust that one.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Which He does [answer prayer].
<quoted text>
[Move a mountain with faith] Figure of speech, bro.
<quoted text>
Intellectual dishonesty. It's "peace of God which passeth all understanding", which comes from trusting God.
<quoted text>
"The fruit of the Spirit" is the moral character developed by the power of the Spirit, which we have.
<quoted text>
His audience is not dead, there's about 2.2 billion if us right now.
You don't really expect any more from your god than I do, do you? I wonder how you would respond if you could to the disappointment of not getting heaven, either. Perhaps, "Figure of speech"?

You're obviously being lied to. You don't really care if you're right or wrong, do you, just as long as you're comforted.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 36 min Gillette 15
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 43 min Reason Personified 14,440
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 56 min Gillette 963
Why Christians should stick up for atheists 3 hr thetruth 5
Young atheists: The political leaders of tomorrow 3 hr thetruth 3
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 4 hr thetruth 22
Siro is writing a new book Sun thetruth 5

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE