Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
144,321 - 144,340 of 224,019 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Imhotep

Silver Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But you're missing the point.
There are ways to locate Bigfoot. It has not been discovered even though many many people look for it. All you need is your eyes to see it & any camera to record it.
Same goes for an elephant in your room.
There are no means of analyzing God in the same sense. Your eyes do not see Him. Your ears do not hear Him. Your senses seem to betray you. All known forms of detection fail.
So does that mean God doesn't exist or you simply lacks the means to detect Him?
There have been billions of people around the world (including myself) that claims to have felt, heard or seen God in various different ways.
Until someone comes up with a way of actually detecting the supernatural or detecting God, an atheists opinion of no God is just that - an opinion, not fact.
Fact?
Religions are fantasy, and can be entertaining to those that find their various 'followers' a bit absurd.

Wrap your mind around the concept of heaven.
Can you re-marry?
At what age do you imagine those around you to be? Start with your relatives!

Sadly... The promised land is a illusion

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Question: "What does the Bible say about rape?"
Way to ignore my post and respond with a form-answer from some apologetics site that whitewashes the issue.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You use it in a real way to denigrate churches.
It's real in your mind.
No, actually I use it in response to Dave. It has nothing to do with churches on my part in an attempt to "denigrate" them.

The part you attribute to churches is in your mind.

Besides, I can denigrate churches all I like as far as that goes, but I needn't do that.

Lets be honest - with the wide spread molestation and abuse of children in both the Protestant and Catholic churches, clown TeeVee evangelists, and the "Ted Haggards" of Christianity, they denigrate themselves with no help from me.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't even bother entertaining the idea of an IPU.
Unlike you so-called atheists, on sites like this day in & day out, discussing a God you claim to not believe in.
In football we would call that a dodge. But in reality we call that evasion.
You cannot disprove the IPU any more than I can disprove your god.
Think....why is that?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

As far as deities go, you have human beings that say they can feel the presence of one, or more. Lots of humans, actually. So there is a link to somewhere beyond what you can physically sense. You just ain't found it.
All that tells me is that there are lots of deluded humans, actually.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> In football we would call that a dodge. But in reality we call that evasion.
You cannot disprove the IPU any more than I can disprove your god.
Think....why is that?
Yes, you can.

The IPU is a single entity. It might be invisible, but you can spray paint it and then see it. The concept of a God is different. It is all encompassing.

Topix atheists lack the ability to understand the difference. They lack the mental vision to see past the physical. Reactive to physical forces only.

They like to beat their mental puds with imagined intellectuality, too.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. YES!
Meet me here in about 3 hours with your hip scarf on.
What? Just the hip scarf? but it's cold outside, what if i get a cold?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
All that tells me is that there are lots of deluded humans, actually.
Fine, if that's how u feel, i'll cut your name off the list....i'm sure u don't wanna see a deluded girl, wearing just a hip scarf, belly dancing!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But you're missing the point.
There are ways to locate Bigfoot. It has not been discovered even though many many people look for it. All you need is your eyes to see it & any camera to record it.
Same goes for an elephant in your room.
There are no means of analyzing God in the same sense. Your eyes do not see Him. Your ears do not hear Him. Your senses seem to betray you. All known forms of detection fail.
If *all* forms of detection fail, then what does it mean to claim existence?
So does that mean God doesn't exist or you simply lacks the means to detect Him?
if there are *no* methods of detection, then God doesn't exist. Existence *means* there would be some interaction and therefore a method of detection.
There have been billions of people around the world (including myself) that claims to have felt, heard or seen God in various different ways.
Until someone comes up with a way of actually detecting the supernatural or detecting God, an atheists opinion of no God is just that - an opinion, not fact.
But an opinion that is very much supported by the lack of evidence in a supernatural.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you can.
The IPU is a single entity. It might be invisible, but you can spray paint it and then see it. The concept of a God is different. It is all encompassing.
Topix atheists lack the ability to understand the difference. They lack the mental vision to see past the physical. Reactive to physical forces only.
You are right, we lack the ability to see past the physical. Seeing *means* there is a physical interaction. Even if it isn't with the eyes or skin or tongue, any form of detection means a physical interaction. A complete lack of such interaction is indistinguishable from non-existence.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't even bother entertaining the idea of an IPU.
Unlike you so-called atheists, on sites like this day in & day out, discussing a God you claim to not believe in.
And the reason we have to discuss this is that there are so many people around us that call us silly or stupid for not believing. There are so many theists that are attempting to make our schools into churches and government into a theocracy. THAT is the basic problem. If you went away and believed and didn't attempt to control everyone else's life, there would be no problem.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
As far as deities go, you have human beings that say they can feel the presence of one, or more. Lots of humans, actually. So there is a link to somewhere beyond what you can physically sense. You just ain't found it.
And the interesting thing is that all those who make such claims disagree with all the others who make such claims. Those who experience Allah disagree with those who experience Yahweh who disagree with those who experience Jesus. If *everyone*(or even most) who claimed these experiences agreed with each other, then you might have an argument, although still rather flimsy. But the fact that agreement on religion has been impossible and that it even produces wars and the desire to kill those who experience differently says to me that believers are simply talking to themselves when they experience God.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you can.
WTF are you to decide the parameters of imaginary, imaginary has no such limits imposed by you. After all,
your god would never survive such imposed limitations.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine, if that's how u feel, i'll cut your name off the list....i'm sure u don't wanna see a deluded girl, wearing just a hip scarf, belly dancing!
No, no, let's compartmentalize.

One thing has nothing to do with the other.

I'm good with the hip scarf and the belly dancing.

But where do I stuff the hundred dollar bills?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Clementia wrote:
What? Just the hip scarf? but it's cold outside, what if i get a cold?
You can wear as many clothes as you want, before the dance.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Which is exactly what we are talking about.
Imaginary limits are subjective to belief, but not to empirical or physical evidence. They require something substantial, the thing theism ignores.

However much psychological evidence you may accumulate within your head.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

It all boils down to the very argument Nuggin gives, In that belief is the creator of reality .
It takes no more than belief in a god to make a god real.

Now the theist may think this is so.

But it fails the acid test, where you have to actually prove the claim.

Belief does not make the god all powerful.

Demonstration of ability make it it real.
Not the claim.

Get it straight, because anyone can make claim and even deceive you. But reality bites, when the claims are proven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Oh I certainly agree there are socks posting. But you think none of them are Christians that they are all Poes?
<quoted text>
I don't think that there is a single christian on here. If there ever is, they write a couple of posts, see that they are not going to sell their religion here, then they beat feet so that they do not have to read those nasty bible verses.
bohart

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I got to thinking about this a bit more. Of *course* absence of evidence is evidence of absence. It may not be *conclusive* evidence of absence, but it certainly is evidence. Furthermore, why is it not conclusive? Because you may not have looked in the correct places, or with the correct means, etc. But if you have looked extensively, and by a variety of means, then the prolonged absence of evidence *is* evidence of absence that increases in quality for each new way of looking and number of times looked.
As an example, there is a law of physics: the law of conservation of mass/energy. The absence of evidence that this law is violated after many and repeated attempts (perpetual motion machines, for example) is, in fact, evidence of absence. Given the number of ways we have looked and the strictness of the law (hence the high degree of testability), the prolonged absence of evidence of violations is very, very good evidence for that law.
So the question then becomes at what point does absence of evidence become strong evidence of absence? Well, we have to have searched in many different way and over a long period of time. We have to have searched in ways that, if the existence was true, we would have found evidence.
So, lets do this: what precise search method that is public and independently verifiable will lead to the detection of a deity? This method should give a different answer if there is no deity than if there is one (or many) and should be such than even an unbeliever will be able to observe the evidence as unambiguous evidence of existence.
If no such method exists, then the default position is the non-existence, just like it would be for Bigfoot, a supersymmetric particle, or an elephant in my room.
As an example there is a law of biogenesis, that life only comes from existing life. The absence of evidence that this law is violated after many and repeated attempts is in fact evidence of absence. Given the number of ways we have looked, and the strictness of the law,( hence the high degree of testability),the prolonged absence of evidence of violations is very,very good evidence for the law.
Thats a great arguement.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
Jesus said, or more accurately, was alleged to have said that he would return before all of his immediate associates had died. Jesus declared:

Matt 16:27-28
For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
Eagle12 wrote:
There’s a inaccuracy in your statement. First you claim “all” the disciples then you give the scripture reference that says “some.” You contradicted yourself immensely.
Look again:

"before all ... had died"

"some standing here which shall not taste of death"

'Before all die' is the same as 'while some still live.'

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 57 min Patrick 357
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 4 hr Liam R 12
Of Interest InTheNews 4 hr Reason Personified 2
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Patrick 181
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 hr Patrick 21,376
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr Thinking 831
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 14 hr Patrick 1,285
•••
•••