Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
144,241 - 144,260 of 224,395 Comments Last updated 10 min ago

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Projection.
You do that a lot.

However, your film stock is a little washed out. Overexposed or got moldy.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Catcher, does he do it on purpose? I believe he does, nobody can be like that in the real world...NOBODY!!!!
@Tide.....i didn't do anything....i never even drove a rock. You seem to know a lot about it..what u hiding?
Oh yeah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm like a Candy Cane. Beware the hook.
Catcher will find your Engrish fraws :)
Hugs,:)

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no proof of god. That means you can stop lying about it now.
Seriously, stop lying about a god you have no proof of.
Try talking about something you do have proof of so that you can avoid being an immoral liar, there's a good creationist troll.
My good man I have no proof for you but I have plenty for myself.

God canít be proven but he can be experienced.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My good man I have no proof for you but I have plenty for myself.
God canít be proven but he can be experienced.
Things that are not proven but can be experienced are called delusions.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

www.scribd.com/doc/31322017 ...
Have a nice forever!

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

NeuroRev wrote:
Stating that atheism requires as much faith as religious belief is misguided. Religious people believe in their gods and religious stories based on cultural upbringing, religious childhood indoctrination, psychological conditioning, emotional conditioning, confirmation bias etc. None of this is evidence on any level. All these techniques condition the mind to believe and 'feel' that the proposed concepts (god and religion) are true. However strong the belief and feeling, this is still zero evidence for it being true. To be convinced of the validity of something with no evidence is to be misguided. One could postulate that a magic pink frog lives in the sky, and that this frog created the universe, earth, sun, people etc etc. Over the ages people have created amazing stories about the frog, written books on the frog, perform rituals for the frog, have a range of beliefs about the frog, organise funerals and weddings based on beliefs about the frog, have special frog-worshipping days, frog festivals etc. Over time these ideas about the magic pink frog have spread down the generations to millions and millions of people. There are huge frog-worshipping buildings, frog statues etc. People worship the magic frog by hopping, croaking, puffing up their cheeks etc. They do this often and in mass numbers. All this reinforces the idea that the magic pink sky frog is real. After all, surely millions of people can't be wrong?? But is any of this mass performance and spectacle evidence for the magic pink frog? No. Not at all. It is a false belief. Therefore it qualifies as a delusion. The strength of the deluded belief is so great that an adherent concludes that it must be true, so such people claim that a lack of belief in the magic sky frog is in itself a belief. This is misguided. A belief should be in proportion to the evidence, not the mass numbers of people and stories clinging onto an unsupported idea. So, to claim that atheism requires as much faith as religious belief is nonsense. An atheist is merely one who discards a belief due to a lack of proper supporting evidence. The term atheist is not even necessary, just like how we don't have a term for people who don't believe in ghosts, palm reading or astrology. Before taking beliefs literally, take a look at whether the strength of the belief is based on evidence (causation) or merely a range of psychgological conditioning (brainwashing) techniques over time...
Thank you for dropping in and sharing your thoughts on the matter. Your right in that a lot of faith is passed down from generation to generation. From the outside I can understand you particular view.

In my case I went exploring to find God. I had been exposed to Atheism and faith. A search for truth began and over several years I became convinced thereís a God. Until one is willing to take the journey with an open mind. They will never experience God.

The journey Iím talking about is a plunge into the spiritual side. It is there one can experience God. God canít be proven but he can be experienced.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like virtual particles? Or muons committing suicide?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Oh yeah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
OK! STRANGE!

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Like virtual particles? Or muons committing suicide?
Both can be proved. The effects of virtual particles can be measured and muons definitely decay.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Next time a spouse or family member of yours experiences a migraine headache. Tell them theyíre delusional and the pain is imaginary and in their head. Explain to them your not experiencing a migraine so theirs is not real.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Both can be proved. The effects of virtual particles can be measured and muons definitely decay.
Your sense of reality is a bit distorted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muon#Muon_decay

Those alleged muons are jailed by the forces about them. They need to change for the decay to happen. They are corralled within a collection of forces which in turn are corralled by larger forces without. They are captured energies forced into a circuit by the larger universe. Part of the Big Bang thingy of being a contained system of matter and energy, conservation of matter and energy, and all of those other things we assume to be true,

Now, a careful reading of that article, and most any other physics article, will reveal a certain circular logic within the observation process and system based upon math which is based upon perhaps some wrong assumptions made much earlier in the development of the system of said observation process.

Your "reality" based upon such is a delusion.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

He is Coming Soon wrote:
www.scribd.com/doc/31322017...
Have a nice forever!
"Each and everyone of us must personally, individually come to the full and complete comprehension that we are condemned as sinners right where we stand,here and now."

That is a very degrading faith you follow...

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your sense of reality is a bit distorted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muon#Muon_decay
There goes an irony meter!

This article describes *exactly* what I have been saying: muons decay and nothing happens just before the decay to cause the decay. We *can* predict probabilities of decay (as the article does) and the angular distribution of those decays.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There goes an irony meter!
This article describes *exactly* what I have been saying: muons decay and nothing happens just before the decay to cause the decay. We *can* predict probabilities of decay (as the article does) and the angular distribution of those decays.
Sigh....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_interaction

Now try real hard to think. You can do it.

Where does that interaction occur?

Within the atom?

What is the outermost force of the atom?

EM?

That and that force are related?

I think it says so.

That outermost force contains that innermost force? More or less?

Will two balanced atoms come together and combine all by their lonesome?

I think they need to be surrounded by others with this cushion of outer EM forcing them together, which in turn stresses out the innards of those atoms. Parts of them start shrieking let me out of here and they charge ahead, or they are pushed out or find someplace with less stress caused by that outside force. All in the symmetry of the atoms.

Of course you can also have motion causing them to collide, putting this stress on their symmetry versus a steady outside pressure.

EM and gravity are universal in their range. The weak force is not. Matter in the farthest reaches of the universe is pushing and pulling via EM, and pulling with gravity. EM is much stronger. Change location of any of that matter and you change the cumulative affect and lines of force exerted by all of the other matter within this contained system of matter and energy we call our universe. If you were to believe modern physics as taught.

Atoms and their inner apparatus are created by outside forces. Maybe initially by gravity, the return to the source of the expansion, collecting them together, which then via motion created things like EM, which then made these little whirlpools of energy called atoms.

Or something like that.

You are looking from the perspective of the atom working outwards instead of the other way around, which is the way modern physics says it works. Outside in.
Imhotep

Silver Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You were taught the history of mankind, and a very wide variety of other things in this existence alleged to exist, and how they came about. All based upon books and oral histories. Including "scientific" thought.
See a psychiatrist.
Religion is man-made. Even the men who made it cannot agree on what their prophets or redeemers or gurus actually said or did.

Everything about Christianity is contained in the pathetic image of 'the flock.
Imhotep

Silver Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

He is Coming Soon wrote:
www.scribd.com/doc/31322017...
Have a nice forever!
Jesus said, or more accurately, was alleged to have said that he would return before all of his immediate associates had died. Jesus declared:

Matt 16:27-28
For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Obviously, all of his immediate associates "tasted death" and died long ago. Jesus did not return within the time frame that he promised he would.

The prophecy failed.

Christians will attempt to rationalize this problem away in all sorts of ways. They will claim that the Transfiguration was Jesus coming in his kingdom. They will also claim that the "spirit" of Jesus came at Pentecost to his apostles.

They will always claim that a skeptic can't read correctly. They will claim anything to avoid the problem that the prophecy failed.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
Religion is man-made.
God isn't.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Next time a spouse or family member of yours experiences a migraine headache. Tell them theyíre delusional and the pain is imaginary and in their head. Explain to them your not experiencing a migraine so theirs is not real.
Why do you think that migraines cannot be proved? They are physical processes *in the head* that can be verified by a number of different techniques. They also produce verifiable changes in the brain.

Do you really want to claim that your experience of a deity is similar in type to that of the experience of an emotion or a migraine? I thought you want to claim that a deity is something *outside* of yourself, not something internal.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Catcher, does he do it on purpose? I believe he does, nobody can be like that in the real world...NOBODY!!!!
@Tide.....i didn't do anything....i never even drove a rock. You seem to know a lot about it..what u hiding?
I don't really remember.

Do you have anything that would jog my memory? It's getting fuzzy!

It's getting really really fuzzy. I think it's disappearing!

The secrets of the universe....just floating away!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What does "Atheism" mean? 9 min Buck Crick 21
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 1 hr Patrick 388
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 5 hr richardfs 6
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 16 hr Liam R 21
Talking some sense into you people... 19 hr Cujo 27
Our world came from nothing? 20 hr Carchar king 243
Introducing The Universal Religion 21 hr Patrick 734
•••
•••