Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#149881 Jan 24, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
My parents did not choose me, they chose to procreate.
LMAO!

You're rising the atheist ranks. You might be able to catch up to that Liberty doofus.
Pat

Granby, CT

#149882 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not a matter of evidence.
It is a matter of your pre-suppositions precluding Gods existance.
And yes, you do have pre-suppositions.
Stop lying and making excuses and just provide one fact that distinguishes your god from an imaginary god.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#149883 Jan 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Your type often hide behind censorship.
<quoted text>
Your type often hides behind vile vitriolic, that shows even a basic lack of respect for anyone who does not agree with you.

Bigotry, I think they call it.

I know that bigotry is common to all men, but some of you militant atheists on here, take it to a new level.

But then, we are in an age where rational thought is discouraged, and most are taught what to think rather than how to think.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#149884 Jan 24, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
When he shows up and rings the bell I'll open the door.
You don't get it, do you?

Just by you being here & arguing about God (the same God you say doesn't exist - or that there's no proof of), you're "door bell" is ringing....

Location hidden

#149885 Jan 24, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
I remain open to things I do not have knowledge of, I know an open mind is a radical concept for a theist to grasp but some of us really have one, honest!
So you are open to Gods claims of authority over you life then?

No?

Didn't think so...
Pat

Granby, CT

#149886 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the arguments I have seen are merely arbitrary claims to knowledge with no rational basis of support...
And what the theist death denier offer but a cup full of personal desires and fear. Bravo.

Location hidden

#149887 Jan 24, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop lying and making excuses and just provide one fact that distinguishes your god from an imaginary god.
You are alive.

Even debating with me, proves Gods existence.

Without Him, you have no basis for absolute laws of logic.

By debating and occasionally using reason, you prove His existence...

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#149888 Jan 24, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
The woman is a CAPTIVE. There is no assumption needed that the process is non-consensual. "You killed my husband/father/brothers and took me as a prisoner...I'd love to marry you!"
The law even provides an instant divorce allowed if the woman does not sufficiently PLEASE him. "If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her."
If this was a consensual marriage, then why would she be considered dishonored?
This is consistent with other laws like Deut 22:28, where a man's punishment for rape is that he must marry his victim. Do you believe a woman would really want to marry her rapist and continue to have conjugal relations with him?
Or Exodus 21:7, where fathers may sell their daughters as wives (again, no consent involved).
<quoted text>
Having an example where the woman is asked does not nullify the examples where the women are clearly not asked.
The term for taking women from a former defeated enemy is called “War Brides.”

If a man is attracted to her and wants to have a loving relationship. Then he must treat her exceptionally well. You know, diamond rings, access to the credit cards, a nice Lexus to drive, nice home, nice clothes with servants. Of course I’m speaking metaphorically.

Nothing has changed since then. In fact after the defeat of Germany in post WWII. War brides were not that uncommon. Thousands of German women were married to American Servicemen and were transported to the USA. The same was for the Japanese.

Because “War Brides,” occurred in the scripture the Atheist opposition think it was just an awful atrocity. These women wanted a chance to survive and not die in the rubble left behind. A radical change no doubt and heartbreak but life goes on.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#149889 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you will find that they turn the comments off because of foul mouthed idiots who think that debating an issue is shouting someone else down with vitriolic arbitrary claims to truth.
Most of the atheists I see on forums like this and on the internet, seem incapable of presenting a reasoned rational argument, that does not involve anything outside of ad hominem...
If you would have read my post, you would have seen that I acknowledged that and ask, why then block the ratings?

If you cannot read and comprehend my simple posts, how are you to be trusted on biblical matters? master greg bahnsen failed with you!
Pat

Granby, CT

#149890 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you pre-suppose that life was caused by non-life, you have no choice but to arrive at your conclusion...
All you do is project the closed mindedness of the theist who blindly beleives in magic with zero proof onto the rational thinking atheist.

The god question is irrelevant because we will die like all others before us, not knowing. What is relevant is that life after death is a lie for we know memory and awareness are brain functions and we know they cease upon death no different than your blood will stop flowing when your heart stops beating. A corpse is conclusive proof of this. This is why you cling to your phantom god, you can not cope with death like a mature adult, instead you play make believe like emotionally stunted little children.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#149891 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You are alive.
Which god? Your god was invented about 3500 years ago.
Pat

Granby, CT

#149892 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You are alive.
The old I exist therefore god exists argument proves nothing more than that you suffer from big ego small brain syndrome.

The inner defenses are unconscious. They consist of a kind of magic aura which the mind builds around cherished belief. Arguments which penetrate into the magic aura are not dealt with rationally but by a specific type of pseudo-reasoning. Absurdities and contradictions are made acceptable by specious rationalizations.
-- Arthur Koestler
Pat

Granby, CT

#149893 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are open to Gods claims of authority over you life then?
No?
Didn't think so...
So you are open to Mother Goose's claims of authority over you life then?
No?
Didn't think so....

Location hidden

#149894 Jan 24, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
If you would have read my post, you would have seen that I acknowledged that and ask, why then block the ratings?
If you cannot read and comprehend my simple posts, how are you to be trusted on biblical matters? master greg bahnsen failed with you!
They block the ratings for the same reason.

The bigotry and ignorance that drives the modern militant atheist, is no different to the bigotry and ignorance that drove the spanish inquisition.

You are not interested in open polite discussion, you are only interested in silencing your opponents.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#149895 Jan 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Your type often hide behind censorship.
<quoted text>
Topix has rules. Repeated abuse vented towards individuals doesn’t have to be tolerated. I have turned in fellow believers when they have crossed the line with Atheist on more than one occasion.
bohart

Newport, TN

#149896 Jan 24, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, good. We are making progress.
Now, I had previously shown that there was no life at some point in the past. I note that there is life now.
Take the *earliest* life. Either it was uncaused, or it had a cause. I discount the first possibility because life is not a quantum level phenomenon (although you might be able to argue this point---it would give another example of an uncaused event, though).
So this earliest life had a cause. That cause had to be previous to the earliest life. That means the cause could not be alive (if it were, we would have a contradiction to the *earliest* aspect). In other words, the earliest life had a non-life cause.
There are a couple of ways out of this dilemma for you:
1. Claim that the earliest life did not have a cause.
2. Claim that there was no earliest life, so life has always existed.
The first destroys your 'first cause' claim and the second is contradicted by the conditions of the early universe.
Hmm? I enjoyed your logic, reasoning and presentation here until the last paragraph. Primarily your assumption that the cause of life could not be alive, now all science today agrees that life has only been proven to come from existing life so this creates a paradox in terms of where the first life came from.

1. to say that non life caused life is unscientific and supported by no observations or scientific evidence.
2.Since science supports the biblical notion that life and the universe had a beginning then biological life couldn't have always existed.
3.What conclusions can be drawn?
4.That life sprang into existance? that is inseperable from a miracle.
5. That a life force existed outside the universe , and caused the universe and life to emerge?

Numbers 4 and 5 both require faith, but on which side would logic and reason land?#4 that life emerged by itself? or #5 that it was caused by a force that already possessed the power of life?

Location hidden

#149897 Jan 24, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
All you do is project the closed mindedness of the theist who blindly beleives in magic with zero proof onto the rational thinking atheist.
The god question is irrelevant because we will die like all others before us, not knowing. What is relevant is that life after death is a lie for we know memory and awareness are brain functions and we know they cease upon death no different than your blood will stop flowing when your heart stops beating. A corpse is conclusive proof of this. This is why you cling to your phantom god, you can not cope with death like a mature adult, instead you play make believe like emotionally stunted little children.
Still believe a rockdidit?

Location hidden

#149898 Jan 24, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Which god? Your god was invented about 3500 years ago.
How could the Creator of the universe be invented 3500 years ago?

The basis premise of God, is that He is without cause.

He is the first cause.

That means He was self existent before the universe was created.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#149899 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the arguments I have seen are merely arbitrary claims to knowledge with no rational basis of support...
now you're just describing the belief in a god.

Location hidden

#149900 Jan 24, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are open to Mother Goose's claims of authority over you life then?
No?
Didn't think so....
Was your mother goose eternal, all powerful, all present, all knowing and all moral from before the creation of the universe?

Oh hang on, wouldn't that make her God?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does Being 'Spiritual But Not Religious' Really... 55 min NightSerf 1
Islam for peace, or violence? 1 hr Thinking 35
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 1,037
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 12 hr Chiclets 22,987
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' Mon Thinking 90
Man center of the universe. Mon Thinking 87
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Oct 17 Thinking 6

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE