Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#149721 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You can comprehend the process of abiogenesis or the idea of abiogenesis?
What, exactly, do you mean by this question? It is ambiguous.

Two possible interpretations:

1. Do you know the precise way that non-living things became living?
The answer to this is no. The evidence is not in and we have to wait for that evidence before forming a conclusion.

2. Is there anything self-contradictory about non-life producing life?
The answer to this is also no. Life is a complex collection of chemical reactions. NONE of the chemicals in a living thing are, themselves, alive. So non-life does, in fact, produce life.

3. Is there a reasonable path from non-life to life that can be outlined (even if the details are not known)?
The answer here is yes. And *this* is the subject of the study of abiogenesis. All that needs to happen is that the basic chemicals (which are known to have existed on the early earth) polymerize (a common process) and form a cyclic, stable, reproducing system.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#149722 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
And what caused them?
A fish?
A blob?
A rock?
Their parents? Do you really need some instruction on basic biology? Or are you again attempting the 'first cause' argument?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#149723 Jan 24, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>\
I'm confused here. Are you writing this down as it happens? Not sure if you're predicting or observing what's taking place a week in the future.
I don't think it matters. Being "god" is supposed to be "outside" of time... this gets sticky. I guess it is both. I'm not using my own beliefs here. I just find this argument to be problematic for atheists and think that showing the incompatibility of omniscient and omnipotent to hold more weight

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#149724 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I do have a rational basis.
That which was caused needs a cause...
Do you deny that obvious truth?
By definition, if something is caused, it has a cause. Now, make an argument that everything is caused. You might want to define exactly what it means to be 'caused'.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#149725 Jan 24, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry Christine, it is a paradox and will always remain one. It could never be recreated and while we can surmise a thousand different way it could have happened. We will never really know. Because you stated it yourself.
10^-34th of a second following the start of the event. Prior to that time the very laws that enable us to understand this universe did not exist
The seed makes the root, the root makes the stalk, the stalk makes the branch, the branch makes the bud, the bud makes the fruit, the fruit makes the seed. All following the same laws. In a garden, or in the wild.

But none of them grow unless they get nourishment. Garden varieties are tended to, wild ones have to reach out for it.

There is a message in there.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#149726 Jan 24, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
“We don’t know exactly how it happened but it is certain that no god did it”
You have to admire the perverse adherence to illogical rationale...

Is it an incapability of most atheists to be able to spot the most basic logical fallacies?

Or is it when God is mentioned that logic is abandoned faster than a piranha infested swimming pool?

Location hidden

#149727 Jan 24, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Prior to that time the very laws that enable us to understand this universe did not exist
Really?

How do you know that?

You are very good at making unsupported truth claims...

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#149728 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
All arguments against God are arguments from ignorance, for they are based on what you do not know...
I hope you can begin to see the nature of arbitrary claims and there total uselessness in discussion...
But let us deal with one of your premises here:
Life comes from non-life, if you don't accept this you are ignorant.
Isn't that an ignorant argument on your part to make?
Either life has always existed, or there was a time when there was no life. Assuming that life was caused (a natural assumption because it isn't a quantum process), then the second case requires it to be caused by non-life. Next, the first case (that life has always existed) is untenable given the conditions of the early universe (very hot and dense, no atoms, etc) which did not allow the complex structures to form that are required by life.

Hence, at some point, non-life caused life.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#149729 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I do have a rational basis.
That which was caused needs a cause...
Do you deny that obvious truth?
That is an assumption not an explanation.
It is the same paradox , without a cause there could be no cause.
You exempt a causer as the cause.
That's called "special pleading", what makes your cause exempt from a cause? Special pleading does, and it's not an answer. It's a paradox. You call it eternal , which is just another way of saying infinite, but infinite is not rational , because infinite cannot exist in making a rational explanation.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#149730 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Upon what basis as an atheist, do you account for absolute moral laws like good and evil?
I do not believe that moral 'laws' are absolute. I think they are specific to human beings (perhaps more generally, intelligent beings) and how they relate to each other.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#149731 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to admire the perverse adherence to illogical rationale...
Is it an incapability of most atheists to be able to spot the most basic logical fallacies?
Or is it when God is mentioned that logic is abandoned faster than a piranha infested swimming pool?
Well, God believers certainly abandon logic at every opportunity to demonstrate their beliefs.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#149732 Jan 24, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it my free will to be born?
Was it my free will to be born in the 1960's?
Was it my free will to be born in Pittsburgh, PA?
Was it my free will to be born into the family that I was?
As a child, was it my free will to attend the church that I did?
As a child, was it my free will to attend the schools that I did?
Was it my free will to have the teachers that I had?
All these things greatly influenced my decisions; yet according to believers, your god arranged all that for me. That is not free will, that is programming.
I like this.

I am in a meetup atheist group in Pittsburgh. I've only been to one meetup though. I live a little less than 2 hours north of Pittsburgh

Location hidden

#149733 Jan 24, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No. You asked how the concept came about. I described the process. I also pointed out that whether it applies to the real world is another question.
<quoted text>
If you think so, then you don't understand my world view.
<quoted text>
You haven't replied to any of my questions regarding *your* world view.
For example, you have used the concept of causality in your argument for the existence of a deity. Please define, precisely, what you mean by 'causality'. In particular, show why you think everything has a cause.
Second, we had a discussion about the 'law of non-contradiction'. I gave a precise statement of that law. Do you agree with my statement and the qualifications I made? If so, please feel free to use it to show the existence of your deity.
1. Everything we observe in the universe has a cause, therefore everything has a cause.

It really is not that hard, basic empirical observation and science itself rests on this most basic of processes.

2. I am admittedly quite confused by your argument and not at all clear on where you stand.

Do you think the law of non-contradiction applies universally?

I am talking of the 1st law of logic here.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#149734 Jan 24, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, three--I rewrote parts of this and didn't fix the beginning.

Location hidden

#149735 Jan 24, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
What, exactly, do you mean by this question? It is ambiguous.
1. Do you know the precise way that non-living things became living?
The answer to this is no. The evidence is not in and we have to wait for that evidence before forming a conclusion.
2. Is there anything self-contradictory about non-life producing life?
The answer to this is also no. Life is a complex collection of chemical reactions. NONE of the chemicals in a living thing are, themselves, alive. So non-life does, in fact, produce life.
3. Is there a reasonable path from non-life to life that can be outlined (even if the details are not known)?
The answer here is yes. And *this* is the subject of the study of abiogenesis. All that needs to happen is that the basic chemicals (which are known to have existed on the early earth) polymerize (a common process) and form a cyclic, stable, reproducing system.
1. So in this instance you cannot comprehend something as a fact, but only as a transcendent possibility.
2. Logical fallacy of equivocation.
3. No, there is no reasonable path for abiogenesis, if there was then it would have been reproduced.
Pat

Granby, CT

#149736 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your argument.
I disagree with you, therefore I am wrong.
But like I keep asking you:
Do you have a rational argument to present?
You disagree not with me but with the world for even most theists will admit that a belief in god requires faith because there is no evidence for any god.

The existence of god is not a matter of fact, its a matter of faith and you stomping your feet in denial does not change that fact.

Location hidden

#149737 Jan 24, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Their parents? Do you really need some instruction on basic biology? Or are you again attempting the 'first cause' argument?
Of course I am arguing the first cause argument.

In the beginning God...

I have never deviated from that.
Pat

Granby, CT

#149738 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Arbitrary appeal to your own authority.
Arbitrary appeal to your own authority.

Location hidden

#149739 Jan 24, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
By definition, if something is caused, it has a cause. Now, make an argument that everything is caused. You might want to define exactly what it means to be 'caused'.
You agree with it, then ask me to justify what you agree with?
Pat

Granby, CT

#149740 Jan 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Upon what basis as an atheist, do you account for absolute moral laws like good and evil?
There are no absolute moral laws. If you were a cow, eating beef would be a sin and the killing of humans irrelevant to you, comprende? You have big ego/small brain syndrome.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Eagle 12 2,275
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr EXPERT 23,181
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 4 hr _Bad Company 120
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 7 hr Thinking 28
God' existence 7 hr Thinking 57
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 9 hr thetruth 1,442
Atheism does not exist at all 9 hr thetruth 4
More from around the web