Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,183)

Showing posts 143,641 - 143,660 of223,104
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Slavery, rape and putting every infant to the sword isn't evil?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God's actions are not evil. He is incapable of evil & He is not accountable for fallability like humans are.
It is human arrogance that portrays God's actions as "evil". He knows what he's doing.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Sigh again you demand scriptures and as usual when given them you will daffy run away.
Deuteronomy 22:20-21
Sad isn't it that atheists know MUCH more about the bible than you believers? Oh wait maybe that's why we're atheists!:)
You're welcome half wit.
<quoted text>
The scripture you referenced doesn’t say that any woman who is not a virgin should be stoned.

You only took a small portion of the scripture that does not tell the entire story.

This scripture you referenced is about a dispute resolution as a result of a married man making the claim his wife was not a virgin when he married her. Such accusations are a result of two people who are obviously not getting along. Or the possibility he married the town whore and no longer loves her.

Deuteronomy 22:12-21
Amplified Bible (AMP)

13.“If any man takes a wife and goes in to her, and then scorns her”

14.“And charges her with shameful things and gives her an evil reputation, and says, I took this woman, but when I came to her, I did not find in her the tokens of a virgin,”

[Tokens of Virginity is a cloth with blood discharge from a virgin first intercourse. It is kept by the married woman’s parents as proof their daughter was a virgin].

15. Then the father of the young woman, and her mother, shall get and bring out the tokens of her virginity to the elders of the city at the gate.

16. And her father shall say to the elders, I gave my daughter to this man as wife, but he hates and spurns her;

17. And behold, he has made shameful charges against her, saying, I found not in your daughter the evidences of her virginity. And yet these are the tokens of my daughter’s virginity. And they shall spread the garment before the elders of the city,

18. And the elders of that city shall take the man and rebuke and whip him.

19. And they shall fine him 100 shekels of silver and give them to the father of the young woman, because he has brought an evil name upon a virgin of Israel. And she shall be his wife; he may not divorce her all his days.

20. But if it is true that the evidences of virginity were not found in the young woman,

21. Then they shall bring her to the door of her father’s house and the men of her city shall stone her to death, because she has wrought [criminal] folly in Israel by playing the harlot in her father’s house. So you shall put away the evil from among you.

[All of this depends on a accusation coming forth from the husband]

Verse 25, 26. When a woman lost her virginity by rape. In such cases the woman is not stoned.

25.“But if a man finds the betrothed maiden in the open country and the man seizes her and lies with her, then only the man who lay with her shall die.”

26.“But you shall do nothing to the young woman; she has committed no sin punishable by death, for this is as when a man attacks and slays his neighbor,”

Now verse 28, 29 deals with premarital sex. Catching a couple in the act of fornication.

28. If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not betrothed, and he seizes her and lies with her and they are found,

29. Then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl’s father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he has violated her; he may not divorce her all his days.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
And unlike you I have real friends not imaginary ones like god! Zing!
You're too slow retard! I'm going circles around you backwards and you still can't catch up!
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
Hey retard! Tell us again how the bible lied about it being a serpent in the garden of Eden! That is a classic daffy screw up!
<quoted text>
You have been reported.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think that?
<quoted text>
I didn't contradict myself, I never said God was in control, I said the just because He can be doesn't mean He is.
God is NOT in control of you, you have free will.
If God is omnipotent, then God is in total control. If God cedes any control, then God is not omnipotent. It's really that easy. If God is omnipotent, then everything is necessarily God's will and the result of God's control. Your idea of God allowing things to happen without it's consent or intervention makes no sense. At the very least God condones everything that happens, because otherwise it would not happen. You can't go against the will of an omnipotent being. Which is exactly what makes evil problematic for Christianity. Evil must exist with God's consent, else it would not exist. Or unless evil is more powerful than God, in which case God is not omnipotent. If God is omnipotent, and evil does exist, then God is responsible for evil. Simple as that.
It's not quite that simple. You need to first try to understand what it means to be eternal & ompnipresent.
Omnipresent? Then God exists in Hell too, right?
It's not that you have the choice of only X or Y, you have the choice of X, Y, Z, 123, LMNOP, WS66Rbd8........
It's up to you. God can see what you are going to do, that deosn't mean He's controlling what you do, that's not what He does. If He did, nobody would disbelieve.
You are missing the point. You cannot ultimately do everything simultaneously. If God knows what you will ultimately do, then you cannot do otherwise.

If God knows you will do X, can you do something else instead?

If so, then God was wrong, and is neither omnipotent nor omniscient.

If not, then you have no free will.

See how that works now?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If anything, I'm of the 'shut up and calculate' viewpoint on QM. As far as I can see, most of the philosophies of QM fail because they attempt to explain QM based on classical ideas and that is exactly the wrong way around. You explain the *old* theory by using the *new* one.
<quoted text>
I am neither affirming nor denying such. All of the following are possible given our current state of knowledge:
1) The universe has no cause.
2) The universe has multiple causes.
3) The universe has a single cause.
4) The concept of causality is meaningless when applied to the universe.
Of the four, the last seems most likely, followed by the first two.
Do you allow that the single cause can be something outside of our normal experience of time energy and matter?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
No god argument is logically plausible until it can describe the method by which things were created. Magic is not a valid basis for anything.
So you argue that events can only happen when you can comprehend them?

So abiogenesis and the big bang didn't happen then?

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God's actions are not evil. He is incapable of evil & He is not accountable for fallability like humans are.
It is human arrogance that portrays God's actions as "evil". He knows what he's doing.
God cannot be incapable of anything, or else God cannot be omnipotent.

If you say God is omnipotent and omniscient, and God created everything including humans, then of course God is responsible for humans and any flaws they may have, and should have known in advance of creating *anything* what the consequences and ramifications were to be. How could it be otherwise?

Thus, if evil exists, it is with the complicity of God, who is therefore responsible for it. How can God be omnipotent but only semi-responsible? For God to escape blame for evil, God cannot be responsible for it, and therefore could not have created it, which means God did not create everything, and is not as powerful as evil, or else God could overcome it, and would do so if evil were against God's will. Your God, free from blame, cannot be omnipresent, omnipotent, or omniscient. This was figured out long ago in ancient Greece by Epicurus:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

EmpAtheist wrote:
Just wanted to add..... omniscience is not a problem for free will. It seems so on the surface. Also I have seen that the Christians on here are doing a horrible job arguing that... ha... but they can win this one.
Instead of having the ability to see the future........imagine the ability to go back in time... and you knew everything your friend did that week... unless you change something, he will do everything you saw.... he was still making his own decisions
However.......... we still have a problem. God is omniscient and omnipotent. He also knows all of his own actions he will do in the future.... and although he may be perfectly happy with that and I'm sure he is. He cannot do anything different. He is not then omnipotent.. but powerless. He is obligated to do what he knows he was going to do.
You are placing God in His material universe and trying to apply the restrictions of that universe to Him.

That is a bit like putting a car designer in a car, then telling him to forget he is a driver and to act like a car...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Slavery, rape and putting every infant to the sword isn't evil?
<quoted text>
News flash.

One of your atheist buddies just argued that there is a situation where rape is acceptable...

I will ask you to answer the same test, to see if your worldview is one you live by:

The last man and woman are on an island.

For the survival of the species, they need to procreate.

The man wants to and the woman does not.

Would it be okay for the man to rape the woman in this instance?

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You are placing God in His material universe and trying to apply the restrictions of that universe to Him.
That is a bit like putting a car designer in a car, then telling him to forget he is a driver and to act like a car...
And yet you yourself make a comparison between God and a human with your example.

If God is not of this universe then how did it create the universe, which is so completely unlike it?

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
News flash.
One of your atheist buddies just argued that there is a situation where rape is acceptable...
I will ask you to answer the same test, to see if your worldview is one you live by:
Nice diversion, but you didn't answer the question, which was:

"Slavery, rape and putting every infant to the sword isn't evil?"

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text> But to those who occasionally come in and happen to be on the fence.
That's not a sentence, Eagle.
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So you argue that events can only happen when you can comprehend them?
So abiogenesis and the big bang didn't happen then?
We have evidence for the big bang in the fact that the universe is expanding. Big Bang theory may turn out to be false but that does not change the fact that the universe is expanding.

We do not know for sure how life began on Earth though we do know for sure there is life.

There is no knowledge of any gods, or what they think, want, do or created. That's all pure fantasy and baseless speculation by death deniers.

Is it a coincidence to you that all those who beleive in god also deny the overwhelming evidence that death ends ones personal memory and awareness?
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You are placing your imaginary god out of bounds as a means of giving him a saftey net.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Nor any of my Russian friends including Marina who teaches the Russian language at a nearby university.

I have yet to see you make a claim as to what it means. Even Stephen King says he made the word up for his idea of mindless hairballs with lots of teeth.

Afraid someone told you wrong and you bought it. Not surprising because you bought the zombie jesus myth hook line and sinker.
Why that's just too funny! You wasted all this time and effort over one little remark I made. I never claimed it was a Russian word, I said you don't know what it means in Russian. I did not say I knew what it meant. LOL

I played a little word game that atheist play all the time. LOL

Keep digging! Someday you'll wake up. LOL

What a dolt.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Is there a reason why you can't demonstrate that your god is anything more than a figment of the imagination?
What do you think? Come on nut job THINK! Just once try using your grey matter.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see how you may feel that way but it doesn't apply here. He is being given attributes that are inconsistent. That is all i was pointing out.

However if you want to move on to your beyond comprehension and outside of time and space claims... I can do that too.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just it, there is no breaking the natural laws , no evidence of it what so ever. If there were this we could point to it as evidence of a god. It doesn't happen except in imagination.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
News flash.
If it's ok for you to do that now, it's ok for you to do that then.

BTW it's never ok to take advantage or force yourself on anyone who doesn't want it.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

mtimber wrote:
How sophisticated do you need to be, to argue nonlife became life...
arockdidit encapsulates your problems quite appropriately.
If you want a little more sophistication, how about:
lotsofrocksdiditwithaboltoflig hting...
Who says a rock did anything?

Who are you arguing with about rocks?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 143,641 - 143,660 of223,104
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••