Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,182)

Showing posts 143,621 - 143,640 of223,088
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>You spelled of wrong.

Omission control? Catatonic converter.

Will I critique your last sentence?
Hmmm I don't see the word "of" in my post so how is it that I spelled it wrong.

So you are claiming a spelling error on a word that's not there and you're trying to make fun of me? Now that's dumb on a whole new scale.

Thanks for showing off. LOL

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Just wanted to add..... omniscience is not a problem for free will. It seems so on the surface. Also I have seen that the Christians on here are doing a horrible job arguing that... ha... but they can win this one.

Instead of having the ability to see the future........imagine the ability to go back in time... and you knew everything your friend did that week... unless you change something, he will do everything you saw.... he was still making his own decisions

However.......... we still have a problem. God is omniscient and omnipotent. He also knows all of his own actions he will do in the future.... and although he may be perfectly happy with that and I'm sure he is. He cannot do anything different. He is not then omnipotent.. but powerless. He is obligated to do what he knows he was going to do.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I'm doing it wrong. I don't fear God.
You fear hell.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Hey look! It's the retard who loved the TV miniseries the langoliers! He thinks because the same actor who played Balkie the Russian cousin on perfect strangers also plays Craig the character who mentions the langoliers that langoliers therefore must be a Russian word!

It's not.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!

Good logic there retard! Thanks for making us laugh at you!
Oh I wasn't aware of that connection.
Thanks for the insight.

So are you claiming you could not find Langoliers in the Russian dictionary?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>You broke my irony meter.
Is there a reason why atheist can't imagine a better irony meter?

It seems that yours breaks way to easy.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Nor any of my Russian friends including Marina who teaches the Russian language at a nearby university.

I have yet to see you make a claim as to what it means. Even Stephen King says he made the word up for his idea of mindless hairballs with lots of teeth.

Afraid someone told you wrong and you bought it. Not surprising because you bought the zombie jesus myth hook line and sinker.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I wasn't aware of that connection.
Thanks for the insight.
So are you claiming you could not find Langoliers in the Russian dictionary?

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Is there a reason why you can't demonstrate that your god is anything more than a figment of the imagination?
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a reason why atheist can't imagine a better irony meter?
It seems that yours breaks way to easy.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I have supplied is many times. If you don't want to read your beloved bible, I cannot help you.
Post #149367

“The bible god stated that girls who lost their virginity before marriage were to be stone or burned to death.”

Thank you, in other words you have no proof to support your claim.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

EmpAtheist wrote:
Just wanted to add..... omniscience is not a problem for free will. It seems so on the surface. Also I have seen that the Christians on here are doing a horrible job arguing that... ha... but they can win this one.
Instead of having the ability to see the future........imagine the ability to go back in time... and you knew everything your friend did that week... unless you change something, he will do everything you saw.... he was still making his own decisions
However.......... we still have a problem. God is omniscient and omnipotent. He also knows all of his own actions he will do in the future.... and although he may be perfectly happy with that and I'm sure he is. He cannot do anything different. He is not then omnipotent.. but powerless. He is obligated to do what he knows he was going to do.
Did God say he knows everything that will happen? Where is that written, and by who?

I think the story goes that physical man was let loose in the wilderness to find his own way. Maybe to return home someday. Not much sense in that if this God was so clairvoyant.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Of course a retard like you doesn't know what retard means. It means slow or to impede which is exactly what belief in god does to you.
For example remember how big of a retard you made out of yourself first saying your dad was this miserable brutal atheist who forced his atheism down your throat then later saying he was this wonderful sweet man who everyone adored. And not to mention your strange story about an Arab walked into his room and thy made him a Christian for some reason.
You're just too damn retarded daffy :)
<quoted text>
Again I thank you for your rude abrasiveness and said untruths mixed in with some previous statements from myself. To the regulars here on topix we have know what to expect. But to those who occasionally come in and happen to be on the fence. I think your spitefulness shows the caliber person you are and the militant atheism you represent.

My Dad, whom I loved very much was brilliant and an Atheist for most of his adult life. We had many conversations about God and atheism. He was never atrocious. He was always respectful to others of faith and never was derogatory or disrespectful.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Sigh again you demand scriptures and as usual when given them you will daffy run away.

Deuteronomy 22:20-21

Sad isn't it that atheists know MUCH more about the bible than you believers? Oh wait maybe that's why we're atheists!:)

You're welcome half wit.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Post #149367
“The bible god stated that girls who lost their virginity before marriage were to be stone or burned to death.”
Thank you, in other words you have no proof to support your claim.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Nor any of my Russian friends including Marina who teaches the Russian language at a nearby university.
I have yet to see you make a claim as to what it means. Even Stephen King says he made the word up for his idea of mindless hairballs with lots of teeth.
Afraid someone told you wrong and you bought it. Not surprising because you bought the zombie jesus myth hook line and sinker.
<quoted text>
You have a friend? I guess miracles do happen.
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

EmpAtheist wrote:
god told YOU this or are you just making up BS?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Did God say he knows everything that will happen? Where is that written, and by who?
I think the story goes that physical man was let loose in the wilderness to find his own way. Maybe to return home someday. Not much sense in that if this God was so clairvoyant.
I'm not sure that it does say god is omniscient in the bible. I'm always hearing that from Christians though. I'm simply addressing that claim.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

So which was it again? Was your dad this tyrant atheist who crammed his atheism down everyone's throat and was abusive or was he this wonderful sweet guy who had a charm and kind sense about him that everyone loved?

And do tell what that Arab man did to him!
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a friend? I guess miracles do happen.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
god told YOU this or are you just making up BS?
I don't believe in any gods. I don't feel obligated to defend all atheistic claims just because i am also an atheist.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
Yet as soon as any control is ceded, omnipotence is gone.
Why do you think that?
You are contradicting yourself. God is not in control yet is in control. Which is it? If God is in control then everything is necessarily God's will, including everything you do. Thus it's impossible to go against God's will.
I didn't contradict myself, I never said God was in control, I said the just because He can be doesn't mean He is.

God is NOT in control of you, you have free will.
Omnipotence means being omniresponsible, and you can't be omnipotent but only semi-responsible. It doesn't work that way.
Peter Parker would agree with you.
No, let's look at that again:
If God knows you will do X, can you do Y instead?
In this example, you can only ultimately choose X or Y, but not both (for example, you can't turn both left and right at the same time). So if God knows you will ultimately do X, then you can only do X. You have no free will. If on the other hand you say that you could do Y instead, then God was wrong. See how that works? It's really simple if you think about it. The future is only knowable if there is fate, and if there is fate, then free will is impossible.
It's not quite that simple. You need to first try to understand what it means to be eternal & ompnipresent.

It's not that you have the choice of only X or Y, you have the choice of X, Y, Z, 123, LMNOP, WS66Rbd8........

It's up to you. God can see what you are going to do, that deosn't mean He's controlling what you do, that's not what He does. If He did, nobody would disbelieve.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't the flood story undermine the claim that God is benevolent? In that story, God doesn't seem to know that when it made humans it made them flawed, then decided to kill them all except for one family, and afterward humans were still flawed. God is hardly portrayed as either omnipotent or even omniscient. Doesn't God know the consequences of it's actions? Because if it does, then it's actions are pretty much evil.
God's actions are not evil. He is incapable of evil & He is not accountable for fallability like humans are.

It is human arrogance that portrays God's actions as "evil". He knows what he's doing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe in god because you are unable to cope with your own mortality due to fear.
No, I don't.

But thanks for guessing. You'll make a great scientist.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You fear hell.
No I don't.

Do you?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 143,621 - 143,640 of223,088
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••