Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
143,601 - 143,620 of 225,513 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Cause the Bible or the Quran is really written by or inspired by a God, would have stuff brainy like QM, electricity, atoms, germs, bacteria, cures for cancer, etc.
Instead it is written exactly as you would expect by goat herders and fishermen of the 1st century ;)
Entertaining, if illogical...you move from one generalization to another.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Are your mental issues caused by God or QM?
I dont have any mental issues. Thanks for the concern ;)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
How does QM disprove a deity or higher intelligence creating this existence we have?
It doesn't make any claim one way or the other about this. But it *does* show the faults of many of the arguments claiming to prove the existence of deities. For example, the 'first cause' argument assumes some things about causality that are known to be wrong. But that only shows the argument is fallacious, not that the conclusion is wrong.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
It has nothing to do with omnipotence. It has to do with omniscience. If God know's what you're going to do before you do it you have no choice but to do it. If you have freewill, then God doesn't/can't know what you will do before you do it.
You're wrong. God knows all that you will, might or could do. That does not in any way mean He controls what you will, might or could do. He's the passenger, you're the driver.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Thinking wrote:
So you're dishonest?
<quoted text>
No. I don't break the law. Simple.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Control through fear.
That is what religion is all about.
Sucker.
Then I'm doing it wrong. I don't fear God.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

You're simple and wrong.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I don't break the law. Simple.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong. God knows all that you will, might or could do.
Which one, the trinty God of xiainty, Allah, Yahweh, Woden, Thor, Saturn, Zeus?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Kind of like an imaginary friend or a self reflection of what you think is god yes?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong. God knows all that you will, might or could do. That does not in any way mean He controls what you will, might or could do. He's the passenger, you're the driver.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
mtimber wrote:
That is true, my brain has been washed of secular nonsense and illogical worldviews that serve no purpose other than to justify rebellion against the Creator.
You're confusing rebellion with rejection. I reject your claims of a creator god. I reject all god claims.
mtimber wrote:
So yes, there is nothing you can do for me.
Unless of course you could show empirically that arockdidit.
Why would I do that?

Would it be too much to ask for a little sophistication?
How sophisticated do you need to be, to argue nonlife became life...

arockdidit encapsulates your problems quite appropriately.

If you want a little more sophistication, how about:

lotsofrocksdiditwithaboltoflig hting...

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Why are having this debate. Every body knows the universe was created 5000 years ago when a hedge hog farted.

Source:

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Which one, the trinty God of xiainty, Allah, Yahweh, Woden, Thor, Saturn, Zeus?
Not all God claims are equal, you realise that don't you?

Only the one that can account for "everything" is the one who is logically plausible.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't make any claim one way or the other about this. But it *does* show the faults of many of the arguments claiming to prove the existence of deities. For example, the 'first cause' argument assumes some things about causality that are known to be wrong. But that only shows the argument is fallacious, not that the conclusion is wrong.
Which of the 10 odd theories or positions on quantum mechanics are you appealing to?

And are you denying the universe has a cause?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Which of the 10 odd theories or positions on quantum mechanics are you appealing to?
If anything, I'm of the 'shut up and calculate' viewpoint on QM. As far as I can see, most of the philosophies of QM fail because they attempt to explain QM based on classical ideas and that is exactly the wrong way around. You explain the *old* theory by using the *new* one.
And are you denying the universe has a cause?
I am neither affirming nor denying such. All of the following are possible given our current state of knowledge:

1) The universe has no cause.

2) The universe has multiple causes.

3) The universe has a single cause.

4) The concept of causality is meaningless when applied to the universe.

Of the four, the last seems most likely, followed by the first two.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm gonna go out on a limb here & take a wild guess.
You're a liberal democrat, huh?
Nope. Partisan politics are for people who agree to be canon fodder for one corrupt political party or other. Thinking for oneself is a far better way to go.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. God is not in control of you or your actions or your thoughts. He gave that to you so you'd have free will.
Yet as soon as any control is ceded, omnipotence is gone.
That in no way removes His omnipotence. Just because He can control you doesn't mean that He does.
You are contradicting yourself. God is not in control yet is in control. Which is it? If God is in control then everything is necessarily God's will, including everything you do. Thus it's impossible to go against God's will.

Omnipotence means being omniresponsible, and you can't be omnipotent but only semi-responsible. It doesn't work that way.
Yes, again. God knows what you will do & will not prevent you from doing so. You can do X, Y, Z, LMNOP, X123c...... It's all up to you.
No, let's look at that again:

If God knows you will do X, can you do Y instead?

In this example, you can only ultimately choose X or Y, but not both (for example, you can't turn both left and right at the same time). So if God knows you will ultimately do X, then you can only do X. You have no free will. If on the other hand you say that you could do Y instead, then God was wrong. See how that works? It's really simple if you think about it. The future is only knowable if there is fate, and if there is fate, then free will is impossible.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe (not "know", "believe") that the flood story is an allegorical narrative representing the power of God and the potential wrath of God. I believe it was used as a primitive means to get people to listen, understand & fear God.
That is my opinion.
Doesn't the flood story undermine the claim that God is benevolent? In that story, God doesn't seem to know that when it made humans it made them flawed, then decided to kill them all except for one family, and afterward humans were still flawed. God is hardly portrayed as either omnipotent or even omniscient. Doesn't God know the consequences of it's actions? Because if it does, then it's actions are pretty much evil.
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If god created morally challenged imperfect humans and then gave them free will, knowing full well the result would be sin then it proves he wanted sin and intended for sin all along. What could be more evil than to create a place like hell to torture the objects of your own creation? If the christian god exists he is pure evil.
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all God claims are equal, you realise that don't you?
Only the one that can account for "everything" is the one who is logically plausible.
No god argument is logically plausible until it can describe the method by which things were created. Magic is not a valid basis for anything.
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I'm doing it wrong. I don't fear God.
You believe in god because you are unable to cope with your own mortality due to fear.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••