Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
143,581 - 143,600 of 226,154 Comments Last updated 10 min ago

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I believe (not "know", "believe") that the flood story is an allegorical narrative representing the power of God and the potential wrath of God. I believe it was used as a primitive means to get people to listen, understand & fear God.

That is my opinion.
Control through fear.

That is what religion is all about.

Sucker.
uidiotracemakeWo rldpeace

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Control through fear.
That is what religion is all about.
Sucker.
US military as Xtain fundies is base religion!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That humanism is an offshoot of Christianity.
You wouldn't have it without Christianity, or a belief in a higher authority. Now you want to kill Christianity and higher authorities....
Would you happen to have any proof of you assertion, or are you just making stuff up?

Buddhism is an atheistic worldview which basically follows these same tenets, yet it cannot be said to be based on Christianity by any stretch of the imagination.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
...higher authority concept is what keeps men kind of honest. Makes them less prone to discard what they consider less productive or capable. You should thank God religion exists.
So you are saying that without your belief in a god you would be a raving sociopath? Then by all means, please keep your religion.

I and a number of others do not need a belief in a Santa Claus figure to by "good for goodness sake".
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Of course a retard like you doesn't know what retard means. It means slow or to impede which is exactly what belief in god does to you.
For example remember how big of a retard you made out of yourself first saying your dad was this miserable brutal atheist who forced his atheism down your throat then later saying he was this wonderful sweet man who everyone adored. And not to mention your strange story about an Arab walked into his room and thy made him a Christian for some reason.
You're just too damn retarded daffy :)
<quoted text>
Of course a retard like you doesn't know what retard means.

remember how big of a retard you made out of yourself first

Atheism seems to come down to name calling?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course a retard like you ... Atheism seems to come down to name calling?
You broke my irony meter.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you happen to have any proof of you assertion, or are you just making stuff up?
Buddhism is an atheistic worldview which basically follows these same tenets, yet it cannot be said to be based on Christianity by any stretch of the imagination.
<quoted text>
So you are saying that without your belief in a god you would be a raving sociopath? Then by all means, please keep your religion.
I and a number of others do not need a belief in a Santa Claus figure to by "good for goodness sake".
What I said was belief in a higher authority is a limit on absolute power corrupting absolutely.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course a retard like you doesn't know what retard means.
Linc, what happened to turn the other cheek ;)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Real entities. But no definite positions or other properties. Instead probabilistic.
:-)
Sounds like the atheist reason for denying a deity. Something intangible that you can't possibly prove in this physical world.
What a hoot.
The difference is, of course, that this is part of one of the best predictive theories we have ever had. So, yes, you *can* prove this in the real world via observation and testing.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
quoting the poster...

Turning the other cheek is Christian ?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
quoting the poster...
Turning the other cheek is Christian ?
Supposed to be, I thought.

GoMatt and GoLuke both mention it.
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hypocrisy does bother me, yes, and I agree with you, MLK was the real deal.
MLK was right, we should all be judged by our individual merits, not by our skin color and I am sure he would be ashamed of racist affirmative laws that judge people by race for it is this very behavior that he fought to abolish from our system. I believe he was the real deal in that sense, he felt that not only was racial discrimination against blacks was wrong but that racial discrimination itself was wrong. Aside from that, he was a god hustler selling false hope like any other god hustler does. He was also a plagiarizer and adulterer as well. His arguments for civil rights were valid but as an individual he was morally challenged.
Turkey

Oswego, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The U.S. has never used torture.
I wish we did.
As poster of the year would you tell me which atheists you would enjoy beating?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

There's a priest in it- occupying his Wall Street.
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference is, of course, that this is part of one of the best predictive theories we have ever had. So, yes, you *can* prove this in the real world via observation and testing.
Under carefully contrived and controlled experiments?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. In experiments that easily *could* give results contrary to what QM predicts, the actual results agree with QM. That often involves very elaborate devices to detect the results. Sorry if that offends you.

But, the results of QM also work even in the 'wild'. It is at the heart of our understanding of solids, for example: why do metals conduct electricity bu elements like sulfur do not? How to atomic bonds form? Why do materials react to light the way they do?

Once again, quantum mechanics is part of the best predictive theory of physics we have ever had.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Experiments carefully contrived and controlled so as to falsify, yes.

They don't.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. In experiments that easily *could* give results contrary to what QM predicts, the actual results agree with QM. That often involves very elaborate devices to detect the results. Sorry if that offends you.
But, the results of QM also work even in the 'wild'. It is at the heart of our understanding of solids, for example: why do metals conduct electricity bu elements like sulfur do not? How to atomic bonds form? Why do materials react to light the way they do?
Once again, quantum mechanics is part of the best predictive theory of physics we have ever had.
How does QM disprove a deity or higher intelligence creating this existence we have?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
How does QM disprove a deity or higher intelligence creating this existence we have?
Cause the Bible or the Quran is really written by or inspired by a God, would have stuff brainy like QM, electricity, atoms, germs, bacteria, cures for cancer, etc.

Instead it is written exactly as you would expect by goat herders and fishermen of the 1st century ;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Cause the Bible or the Quran is really written by or inspired by a God, would have stuff brainy like QM, electricity, atoms, germs, bacteria, cures for cancer, etc.
Instead it is written exactly as you would expect by goat herders and fishermen of the 1st century ;)
Are your mental issues caused by God or QM?
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Entertaining, if illogical...you move from one generalization to another.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 min DonPanic 21,491
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 1 hr Tuco Blondie 7
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 2 hr USN Atheist 32
100% Faith Free 4 hr religionislies 7
Our world came from nothing? 7 hr NightSerf 395
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 12 hr NightSerf 6
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 15 hr Patrick 24
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••