Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#149437 Jan 22, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Torture doesn't save lives. Torture just makes the person being tortured say or do anything to save themselves. It's well known within the intelligence community that torture is not an effective way to get valid information.
Moreover, torture just turns us as a society into something as bad as those we call our enemies. It's a perfect example of the ends not justifying the means. When our society condones things like torture, then it is no longer worthy of defending.
The U.S. has never used torture.

I wish we did.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#149438 Jan 22, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
You contradict yourself. Something that is all-powerful is by definition in control of everything. Any lack of control takes away omnipotence.
Furthermore, free-will is impossible if God knows the future and the destiny of everything in advance anyway: If God knows you will do X, can you do Y instead?
Wrong and wrong.

Something that is all-powerful is not necessarily in control of everything. Something all-powerful has the power to decline control of anything or everything.

Free will and foreknowledge are compatible. Your mistake is the fallacy of misplaced causation.

You pretend to be fluent in philosophy, but you do it poorly.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#149439 Jan 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong and wrong.
Something that is all-powerful is not necessarily in control of everything. Something all-powerful has the power to decline control of anything or everything.
Free will and foreknowledge are compatible. Your mistake is the fallacy of misplaced causation.
You pretend to be fluent in philosophy, but you do it poorly.
Yeah, he wasn't talking about control, he was talking about simply knowing. If you know the future, it becomes set, thus, your god has eliminated "free-will" simply by knowing the future.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#149441 Jan 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
How'd you like the second inaugural?
Pretty neat stuff, no?
How do you like this, Silk Panty Boy?

In his inaugural speech, B. Hussein Obama characterized the struggle for freedom as moving from slavery with Lincoln, civil rights through Dr. King, to now the rights of gays to marry.

In 2008 he ran for president saying that "marriage is between one man and one woman", and opposed gay marriage.

But now portrays himself as a champion of that continual struggle for freedom, as if he's a link in the chain from Lincoln to King to now.

Does hypocrisy bother you? Did Dr. King oppose civil rights for blacks 4 years before the march in Selma Alabama?

No, Dr. King was an actual champion. Obama is an empty suit that happened to be black and articulate. The Chicago boy-hacks poured the rest into the empty vessel. The country bought it, and now we have it.

The first post-American president.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#149442 Jan 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, he wasn't talking about control, he was talking about simply knowing. If you know the future, it becomes set, thus, your god has eliminated "free-will" simply by knowing the future.
Read it again.

He said something all-powerful, "by definition", is in control of everything.

Your view of free-will and foreknowledge is simply wrong. It is the choice that determines the foreknowledge, not vice-versa. Time would not be linear to an all-knowing entity. If the choice were different, the foreknowledge would be different.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#149443 Jan 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you like this, Silk Panty Boy?
In his inaugural speech, B. Hussein Obama characterized the struggle for freedom as moving from slavery with Lincoln, civil rights through Dr. King, to now the rights of gays to marry.
In 2008 he ran for president saying that "marriage is between one man and one woman", and opposed gay marriage.
But now portrays himself as a champion of that continual struggle for freedom, as if he's a link in the chain from Lincoln to King to now.
Does hypocrisy bother you? Did Dr. King oppose civil rights for blacks 4 years before the march in Selma Alabama?
No, Dr. King was an actual champion. Obama is an empty suit that happened to be black and articulate. The Chicago boy-hacks poured the rest into the empty vessel. The country bought it, and now we have it.
The first post-American president.
Hypocrisy does bother me, yes, and I agree with you, MLK was the real deal.

But he wasn't president. And I can get over Obama's perceived need, in 2008, to make the statements he did for political reasons (read: to become President).

I would have preferred that he stood for full rights for gays then, as he is doing now.

Having said that, he does represent the future--and the possibility that we can achieve social justice, and live in a society where everybody enjoys the rights given us by our Constitution which, as you know, I hold as holy as Christians do the Bible.

BTW, hope you'll stick around. Standards have been very low here lately. HL is threatening to leave altogether, for that very reason. Your presence may prompt her to stay. I'd like that.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#149444 Jan 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. God is not in control of you or your actions or your thoughts. He gave that to you so you'd have free will.
That in no way removes His omnipotence. Just because He can control you doesn't mean that He does.
<quoted text>
Yes, again. God knows what you will do & will not prevent you from doing so. You can do X, Y, Z, LMNOP, X123c...... It's all up to you.
It has nothing to do with omnipotence. It has to do with omniscience. If God know's what you're going to do before you do it you have no choice but to do it. If you have freewill, then God doesn't/can't know what you will do before you do it.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#149445 Jan 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, he wasn't talking about control, he was talking about simply knowing. If you know the future, it becomes set, thus, your god has eliminated "free-will" simply by knowing the future.
Damn, shoulda read all the way through. Sorry KK.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#149446 Jan 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
It is the choice that determines the foreknowledge, not vice-versa. Time would not be linear to an all-knowing entity. If the choice were different, the foreknowledge would be different.
Sounds like all you're saying here is "Did you choose the apple? Yes! Well, God knew you were gonna choose it!".

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#149447 Jan 22, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>

If you have freewill, then God doesn't/can't know what you will do before you do it.
So god is a sociopath like me? Cool.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#149448 Jan 22, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>Not when I was born.
What bore you?
An ape? A chimp? A monkey? A tree?
Maybe a monkey in a tree?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#149449 Jan 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, he wasn't talking about control, he was talking about simply knowing. If you know the future, it becomes set, thus, your god has eliminated "free-will" simply by knowing the future.
Nice showing off your total lack knowledge. Do you have a clue on how clueless you really are?

That explanation is so lame I can't even laugh about it.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#149450 Jan 22, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
You propose a dichotomy that is false. Yes, they are real-existent entities, but they are not classical entities with definite positions and other definite properties. Instead, their properties are probabilistic.
And this has NOTHING to do with atheism. It is simply modern physics. The universe is inherently probabilistic. We know that by a variety of methods, including some that manage to exclude *any* local, causal theory. If your intuition can't handle that, then the problem is with your intuition, not with the reality.
Real entities. But no definite positions or other properties. Instead probabilistic.

:-)

Sounds like the atheist reason for denying a deity. Something intangible that you can't possibly prove in this physical world.

What a hoot.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#149451 Jan 22, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice showing off your total lack knowledge. Do you have a clue on how clueless you really are?
That explanation is so lame I can't even laugh about it.
Apparently you can't spell about it either.

Baby steps.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#149452 Jan 22, 2013
You just admitted she was buried in the ground so what's your problem schizo? You know atheists don't believe in god or the immortal soul heaven and hell so why would you even ask atheists about the state of your so called dead sister? What did you think we would say retard? That she was in heaven with Jesus? Are you seriously that stupid?

A dead girl who was buried not cremated is rotting in the ground. After all these years I would say she is a skeleton and maybe her dress might be somewhat intact. Like a Halloween decoration!:)

You're welcome.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>My beloved Queen Puggy is ashes now, in a beautiful urn with her puppy photo on the front ~ she was 13 when she died in my arms as we both lay cuddled up together, knowing these were her last hours. I still cuddle up where I said my last words to my Queen.
No, my sister (Gillian, a beautiful 2 year old girl, golden hair and blue eyes, so you might get a picture of her) was burned to death by boys playing with matches. She lays buried in the ground and it was her death and grave that you were so cruelly laughing about. No need to apologise about a cremation, and of course I felt you defiled her ~ there is no way she can defend herself against your cruel words and laughter, and just because you think her Soul does not exist, does not simply wipe it away.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#149453 Jan 22, 2013
I love my life! I adore each and every day :) I have wonderful family and friends not to mention a heart breakingly beautiful wife.

Hey you could use your sister for Halloween! Have her excavated and carefully sanitized even save as much of the dress if possible. Then have an animatronics guy or gal string her up like a puppet and she could sing and dance for your guests or even better yet say The Lord's Prayer pr sing jesus loves the little children! They can arrange and program this. It would be amazing and heart warming for all!

This is a special Disney moment I'll let it sink in.

You are very welcome Serah!:)
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Got something to say? Amazing intelligent posting, thank you so much for the information you have passed on, I am going off to analyse this new information and digest it as I should. What is your problem exactly? Might be better bringing it out in the open, so we know why you hate Christians (Or others who have Faith in GOD to a degree) or do you just hate life? And blame us?

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#149454 Jan 22, 2013
Of course a retard like you doesn't know what retard means. It means slow or to impede which is exactly what belief in god does to you.

For example remember how big of a retard you made out of yourself first saying your dad was this miserable brutal atheist who forced his atheism down your throat then later saying he was this wonderful sweet man who everyone adored. And not to mention your strange story about an Arab walked into his room and thy made him a Christian for some reason.

You're just too damn retarded daffy :)
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m touched, Lance prayed out loud. Just what did he say in this prayer since you know so much about it? Let me guess,“Dear Lord, thank you for this day and don’t let me get caught cheating.”
I see similarities in Lance that I see in many other Atheist. As I stated before narcissism and of course this double standard many Atheist live by.
By the way the word “retard” is a bit outdated. It went out of the mainstream circulation about 30 years ago. But it’s ok that you remain outdated because it tells us something about you.
I prefer you the way you are because you represent the worst in Atheist and I want people see the sarcasm, cynicism, and scornful comments. You are doing a good job pushing people away from Atheism. Keep up the good work.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#149455 Jan 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>Apparently you can't spell about it either.

Baby steps.
Please go on where is the spelling error Bozo.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#149456 Jan 22, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Please go on where is the spelling error Bozo.
You spelled of wrong.

Omission control? Catatonic converter.

Will I critique your last sentence?

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#149457 Jan 22, 2013
People do what they are going to do. Believers just say their imaginary friend god guides them. You worship Yahweh/Jesus/Allah and delude yourself into thinking he is really there.

You keep talking about terrorists. You do realize that the terrorists are devout believers in your god right and they say he is telling them to kill people.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. God is not in control of you or your actions or your thoughts. He gave that to you so you'd have free will.
That in no way removes His omnipotence. Just because He can control you doesn't mean that He does.
<quoted text>
Yes, again. God knows what you will do & will not prevent you from doing so. You can do X, Y, Z, LMNOP, X123c...... It's all up to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr Eagle 12 2,407
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 hr _Bad Company 23,198
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 15 hr Pahu 33
God' existence 15 hr Carchar king 63
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 15 hr Carchar king 138
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 22 hr Crazy Mess 1
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu thetruth 1,442
More from around the web