Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
143,521 - 143,540 of 225,714 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149410
Jan 22, 2013
 
Clementia wrote:
U mean Nemo?
Oh, can i have Dory? please???? She can teach us whale!
Seahorses are amazing! The man raises the kids doesn't he? U men should learn something!!
I really liked that movie.

Let's watch it in the pool while we play seahorse.

Do you know how to play seahorse?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149411
Jan 22, 2013
 
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> One micron, but not one mole are you nuts? N/M we already know the answer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_knife

The limitation is what makes the scribe line. Glass is individual molecules that cooled together. Not bonded like steel.

You never read Snow Crash?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149412
Jan 22, 2013
 
Wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>Why is there no trace of this mass migration of every animal on Earth from that spot? None died along the way? How did they know how to be back to their former habitats? How did the land animals get to places like Australia?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a bridge, like the one in Thor (Bifrost?) that allowed ease of passage.
lol
I don't know, do you?
Nope. I'm just pointing out that things like that show how the flood story could not possibly happened as described.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149413
Jan 22, 2013
 
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
How'd you like the second inaugural?
Pretty neat stuff, no?
Not $170 million worth of neat stuff....
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149414
Jan 22, 2013
 
Cool, I choose to denounce your god yet not go to hell.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
He gave us free will.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149415
Jan 22, 2013
 
You don't read too well.
I said do it- but accept the consequences.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF?
So I see the liberal in you says its bad to tirture terrorists to save innocent lives....
Nice.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149416
Jan 22, 2013
 
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please supply the verse to your claim.
No, I have supplied is many times. If you don't want to read your beloved bible, I cannot help you.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149417
Jan 22, 2013
 
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Nope. I'm just pointing out that things like that show how the flood story could not possibly happened as described.
I agree. I've posted several times that I believe the flood was a massive, localized flood.

Creationists hate me for it.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149418
Jan 22, 2013
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF?
So I see the liberal in you says its bad to tirture terrorists to save innocent lives....
Nice.
Torture doesn't save lives. Torture just makes the person being tortured say or do anything to save themselves. It's well known within the intelligence community that torture is not an effective way to get valid information.

Moreover, torture just turns us as a society into something as bad as those we call our enemies. It's a perfect example of the ends not justifying the means. When our society condones things like torture, then it is no longer worthy of defending.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149419
Jan 22, 2013
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're still incorrect.
God, who is all powerful, is not in control if those that do evil and harm or kill others.
He gave us free will.
You contradict yourself. Something that is all-powerful is by definition in control of everything. Any lack of control takes away omnipotence.

Furthermore, free-will is impossible if God knows the future and the destiny of everything in advance anyway: If God knows you will do X, can you do Y instead?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149420
Jan 22, 2013
 
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
u do follow what the saints say, u cute muppet!
Don't u think slavery is wrong? Of course u do!
Don't u think we should try to be good people and help each other? Of course u do!!!
If u didn't, u wouldn't be here fighting with the christians for believing in an evil God!
You r an annoying sheepy boy, but from what u say, u sound like a good human-being!
I told u, we r not the chosen people of God!! Good people can belong to any religion or no religion, they can even believe in unicorns!! But people who TRY to be good humans are the people of 'GOD'!
If everyone in the world loved each other, do u think any religion would have been created? NO, it wouldn't have!! Coz everyone would be a saint!!
Just because I believe that murder is wrong, it does not mean that I follow the bible god. Just because I am nice to people, doesn't mean that I follow your saints.

Yes, you are not the chosen people; your people just remembered the old religion....

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149421
Jan 22, 2013
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not $170 million worth of neat stuff....
Still whining.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149422
Jan 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I really liked that movie.
Let's watch it in the pool while we play seahorse.
Do you know how to play seahorse?
OMG, R U SAYING WHAT I THINK U SAYING?

You want me to give u a piggyback in the pool?

I ain't strong and u ain't light, u'll break by back!

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149423
Jan 22, 2013
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I've posted several times that I believe the flood was a massive, localized flood.
Creationists hate me for it.
Well, creationists are nuts anyway, so that's cool.

But let's put aside the literal translation of the story. If the flood story is a moral parable, then what kind of morality is it promoting? From what I can see, it says God didn't know the consequences of creating humans the way it did, it decided to destroy all life on Earth (not just humans) except for a pair of each animal and Noah's family. Which means that children, babies, and even fetuses in pregnant women were too evil in the sight of God to survive. Yet after the flood receded, humans became just as bad as before, so all that terrible destruction was for naught anyway. What are we supposed to learn about God from this story of ineffective global genocide?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149424
Jan 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because I believe that murder is wrong, it does not mean that I follow the bible god. Just because I am nice to people, doesn't mean that I follow your saints.
Yes, you are not the chosen people; your people just remembered the old religion....
bye-bye, sheepy guy!
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149425
Jan 22, 2013
 
Exactly. The Iain Banks thought experiment is only there to answer the "But what if a bomb was about to go off and you could stop it by torturing somebody." question. I'd do it but take the consequences because torture is always a crime.
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Torture doesn't save lives. Torture just makes the person being tortured say or do anything to save themselves. It's well known within the intelligence community that torture is not an effective way to get valid information.
Moreover, torture just turns us as a society into something as bad as those we call our enemies. It's a perfect example of the ends not justifying the means. When our society condones things like torture, then it is no longer worthy of defending.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149426
Jan 22, 2013
 
Thinking wrote:
Cool, I choose to denounce your god yet not go to hell.
<quoted text>
Cool.
Figure how to control your soul & you're good to go.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149427
Jan 22, 2013
 
Thinking wrote:
You don't read too well.
I said do it- but accept the consequences.
<quoted text>
Oh, that's right.

You said it's ok to break the law, so long as you turn yourself in afterward......

Ugh

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149428
Jan 22, 2013
 
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Torture doesn't save lives. Torture just makes the person being tortured say or do anything to save themselves. It's well known within the intelligence community that torture is not an effective way to get valid information.
Moreover, torture just turns us as a society into something as bad as those we call our enemies. It's a perfect example of the ends not justifying the means. When our society condones things like torture, then it is no longer worthy of defending.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here & take a wild guess.

You're a liberal democrat, huh?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#149429
Jan 22, 2013
 
wilderide wrote:
You contradict yourself. Something that is all-powerful is by definition in control of everything. Any lack of control takes away omnipotence.
Wrong. God is not in control of you or your actions or your thoughts. He gave that to you so you'd have free will.

That in no way removes His omnipotence. Just because He can control you doesn't mean that He does.
Furthermore, free-will is impossible if God knows the future and the destiny of everything in advance anyway: If God knows you will do X, can you do Y instead?
Yes, again. God knows what you will do & will not prevent you from doing so. You can do X, Y, Z, LMNOP, X123c...... It's all up to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••