Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
143,461 - 143,480 of 226,146 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

mtimber wrote:
Yes, you do want to set the standard for your own morality, that is your sinful condition.
I notice that you demand atheists are not disparaged, but that you have no issue when christians are disparaged. So that high horse is one you should not be riding.:-)
Atheism demands a very limited view of the world based on a biblical truth, that states that men suppress the truth of Gods existance because of their love of sin.
I rail against Christianity, not necessarily Christians. Christianity has a doctrine and a history deserving of harsh ridicule and condemnation.

Look at what Christianity did to you. You aren't able to learn anything that contradicts your programming. I learn new things everyday, and change my mind often in response to better information coming in. My morality and ethics continue to improve as I learn more about the world and humanity. Your worldview was born thousands of years ago out of ignorant tribalism.

There is nothing in the Bible or in the behavior of Christians that suggests a link to a deity. It's a religion. People in religions believe their religions. There are many religions. If all those people believe just like you do, what sets you apart? Do you believe they are being deceived or deluded? Could that not happen to you? Are you immune to being deceived?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You have yet to define what you mean by "absolute moral standards". Those listed in the Bible most certainly cannot be what you are talking about.
<quoted text>
No, I don't. But I realize it is beyond you to understand.
<quoted text>
Atheism only informs you of what I am NOT, i.e., I am not a theist. It tells you nothing about what I am. Again this appears to be too hard for you to understand.
What I am is a Humanist.
Humanists understand that ethical values are derived from human need and interest as tested by experience. We are committed to treating each person as having inherent worth and dignity, and to making informed choices in a context of responsible freedom.
Humanists understand that humans are social by nature and find meaning in relationships. Humanists long for and strive toward a world of mutual care and concern, free of cruelty and its consequences, where differences are resolved cooperatively without resorting to violence.
Humanists understand that working to benefit society maximizes individual happiness.
Humanists are concerned for the well being of all, are committed to the equal enjoyment of human rights and civil liberties in an open, secular society and maintain it is a civic duty to participate in the democratic process.
Absolute moral standards.

The concept of right or wrong, good or evil etc.

These are the two foundational absolute moral principles in the Bible:

1. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind and all of your strength.

2. You shall love your neighbour as yourself.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

^^Paraphrase of course.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>I never said my morality was superior than your?
Yes you did. You said that you learned it or agree with your saints and that they had it all right. Since I don't follow your saints or your mummy, I must be wrong to some degree.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but you've been brainwashed.
There's nothing I can do for you.

Several rolls of duct tape would in fact not cure, but at least give some satisfaction.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>

Atheism only informs you of what I am NOT, i.e., I am not a theist. It tells you nothing about what I am. Again this appears to be too hard for you to understand.
So your worldview starts from a negative...

Why is it so important, do you think, that you have to start from a position of denial in order to identify yourself?

Denial only makes sense if there is something to deny...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet I could make you open your eyes.
Some women have thought they would pop out of their sockets.
Please don't sit on her Buck, I kinda like her.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet he doesn't even know you toasted his ass, Dave.
Hi there. Miss your posts.
Topix atheists such as that are kinda numb. Wouldn't know if they got toasted or not.

These Topix atheists have the minds of children. Lots of wishful thinking without maturity and a grasp of the reality they live in. Just resentment because things ain't the way they think it should be. They need to get out of their cocoons more often.

How's it going, Buck? Hope everything is going well.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>You cannot define any morality if you do not have an absolute standard to define it with.
Again, you do not follow your own god's laws; so either your morality differs from your god or you are not following your god.

Stoning daughters was never one of my laws!

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet he doesn't even know you toasted his ass, Dave.
Hi there. Miss your posts.
How'd you like the second inaugural?

Pretty neat stuff, no?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Enjoy your stupid.
Do you have a rational contribution to make?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
That is my point.
You keep claiming that in the past, that there was a lesser standard of morality.
But you cannot argue that, you can only argue a "different" standard of subjective morality, as subjective morality by its nature can only argue "different", not "right" or "wrong".
That is of course leaving aside the fact you need an absolute standard of morality with which to define a subjective standard of morality...
As society determines your morality for you, whatever society decides you have to abide by.
Are you happy with that?
Yes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
The golden rule is unreasonable?
The "right thing" depends on the situation at hand.
There is an evolutionary basis for morality. Educate yourself.
So rape is determined by the situation?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but you've been brainwashed.
There's nothing I can do for you.
That is true, my brain has been washed of secular nonsense and illogical worldviews that serve no purpose other than to justify rebellion against the Creator.

So yes, there is nothing you can do for me.

Unless of course you could show empirically that arockdidit.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
That humanism is an offshoot of Christianity.
No. Mormonism is an offshoot of Christianity.

Humanism is an offshoot of humanity.
Dave Nelson wrote:
You wouldn't have it without Christianity, or a belief in a higher authority. Now you want to kill Christianity and higher authorities.
Religion is passe. We've got something better and we're going to run with it.
Dave Nelson wrote:
That higher authority concept is what keeps men kind of honest.
I don't need it, therefor it is unnecessary. I would argue that it is also a hindrance to need an imaginary authority figure, because doubt shakes the foundation of the system.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Makes them less prone to discard what they consider less productive or capable. You should thank God religion exists.
You're a caricature.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Clementia wrote:
Is there anything u could do for me?
write my award speech?:-)
"I'd like to thank the academy for recognizing my brilliance. I know it must have been difficult for people of your mental stature. Truly, I'm a little surprised you spelled my name right. Kudos.

I must also thank my mother and father, mom, dad, please, stand up...

A round of applause for my folks please! They're great. Raising them since I was five years old was tough, but I think the results speak for themselves. My mom just graduated from Harvard! Dad's going for his doctorate...good luck dad! I'm so proud.

Um, I'd like to thank Albert Einstein for giving me some great ideas for things to correct or improve upon. I'd be lost without his fumbling life's work. Figuring out how to propel an object beyond the speed of light really made my Tuesday.

I'd also like to thank myself. Thanks me! I'm so smart. I couldn't have done it without me. Well, that's it.

Thanks for the award...but guys, try to look for someone else next year. My shelves are totally full of these things!"

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Morality changes all the time! It all depends on where in the world you are.
The bible god stated that girls who lost their virginity before marriage were to be stone or burned to death. Most of the world does not believe that is proper or moral anymore.
Now since the bible god said to do it and most of us ignore him, that should tell you something about the bible god!
Please supply the verse to your claim.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
Several rolls of duct tape would in fact not cure, but at least give some satisfaction.
I'd rather give him a megaphone or a Diane Sawyer interview.

Let's put him to work.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
All you did daffy was show your blind hatred towards people who don't believe in your imaginary friend. Lance has held hands with cancer patients and said prayers for them. Atheists don't say prayers you moron.
<quoted text>
Was he really praying or was he meditating in a moment of silence? My father who was an atheist would be respectful when prayer was said at the dinner table. He would bow his head and close his eyes out of respect to his mother. That doesnít indicate he prayed.

Perhaps Lance did pray, I donít know. I seriously doubt you know for sure. On another subject I would like to say how much I admire your rattlesnake diplomacy. Not everyone has the self control you do. Your kind and sweet words always strike a chord with me.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So your worldview starts from a negative...
Why is it so important, do you think, that you have to start from a position of denial in order to identify yourself?
Denial only makes sense if there is something to deny...
Since the overall position of society has been for generations that deities *do* exist, atheists have typically been defined by the theists. But that lack of belief in a deity is hardly the defining point of anything other than the narrow question of whether deities exist.

I identify more as a humanist than I do as an atheist. Atheism is a minor point in the grand scheme of things.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 15 min Tuco Blondie 7
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 1 hr USN Atheist 32
100% Faith Free 3 hr religionislies 7
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr religionislies 21,490
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr NightSerf 395
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 11 hr NightSerf 6
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 14 hr Patrick 24
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••