Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#149336 Jan 22, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You have yet to define what you mean by "absolute moral standards". Those listed in the Bible most certainly cannot be what you are talking about.
<quoted text>
No, I don't. But I realize it is beyond you to understand.
<quoted text>
Atheism only informs you of what I am NOT, i.e., I am not a theist. It tells you nothing about what I am. Again this appears to be too hard for you to understand.
What I am is a Humanist.
Humanists understand that ethical values are derived from human need and interest as tested by experience. We are committed to treating each person as having inherent worth and dignity, and to making informed choices in a context of responsible freedom.
Humanists understand that humans are social by nature and find meaning in relationships. Humanists long for and strive toward a world of mutual care and concern, free of cruelty and its consequences, where differences are resolved cooperatively without resorting to violence.
Humanists understand that working to benefit society maximizes individual happiness.
Humanists are concerned for the well being of all, are committed to the equal enjoyment of human rights and civil liberties in an open, secular society and maintain it is a civic duty to participate in the democratic process.
That humanism is an offshoot of Christianity.

You wouldn't have it without Christianity, or a belief in a higher authority. Now you want to kill Christianity and higher authorities.

That higher authority concept is what keeps men kind of honest. Makes them less prone to discard what they consider less productive or capable. You should thank God religion exists.
Pat

Granby, CT

#149337 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You first appeal to an absolute standard of morality.
You then appeal to subjective morality.
You then appeal to absolute standards of morality.
Your whole post is illogical, as it is full of contradictions...
You amoral lying theists crack me up.
Pat

Granby, CT

#149338 Jan 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your group cooperation requires the elimination of threats to said group and its survival as a group. Meaning you kill your enemies, or render them no longer a threat. You may even gain an economic advantage in enslaving them. It also means silencing dissidents within the group.
Strictly a secularist thing.
Any sense of "group" beyond your immediate one is based upon some ideal beyond the physical.
You are a confused person.
Don't project your confusion onto me, fool.
Pat

Granby, CT

#149339 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
But how do you define the right thing.
I have yet to see you present a reasonable basis for morality.
Your last attempt was it is okay to be immoral as long as you pay for the crime later.
The ends justify the means in other words.
The golden rule is unreasonable?

The "right thing" depends on the situation at hand.

There is an evolutionary basis for morality. Educate yourself.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#149340 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
Exactly.
And this is what the Bible explains.
Man thinks that through his own finite reasoning, he can reason greater than God, who gave him that reasoning, which has now become perverted.
The problem is that you soon are reduced to absurdity, when you reject the God whos nature is logical.
If you are the arbiter of morality, what happens if someone disagrees with you?
I'm sorry, but you've been brainwashed.

There's nothing I can do for you.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#149341 Jan 22, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
If you religion is not the same age as humans; what took your god so long to teach humans what he demands?
Sikhism came to remind everyone of the old hindu religion that people had forgotten! Sikhism never said we are the chosen people, we r NOT a special new race, Nanak said that sikhs of the guru have always been coming into the world and they will keep coming and they will always stand up against evil.

I don't think u know that our religious book contains the writing of muslim and hindu saints who came BEFORE Nanak. Nanak collected their separate poetry and put it in 1 book and said these are sikhs, be like them. They speak the word of God!

Pralad was a hindu saint, he is mentioned in the hindu religion thousands of years ago, but Nanak said he was a sikh of the guru, chant the name like he did.

Nanak told us to follow in the footsteps of the good people, whether they are muslims, hindu, christian, atheists, they are the sikhs of the guru!

So since hinduism started to sikhism, saints have been preaching the same message.

We only have proof upto hindu religion, before that we run out of historical evidence/documents, we don't have any older records. So since records started in india we can see that the saints have had the same morality.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#149342 Jan 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That humanism is an offshoot of Christianity.
You wouldn't have it without Christianity, or a belief in a higher authority. Now you want to kill Christianity and higher authorities.
That higher authority concept is what keeps men kind of honest. Makes them less prone to discard what they consider less productive or capable. You should thank God religion exists.
I bet he doesn't even know you toasted his ass, Dave.

Hi there. Miss your posts.

Location hidden

#149344 Jan 22, 2013
@River......We worship Allah/christian God, too! God is one, but we have a different view of him/her/it etc..! But i get what u mean!

@Tide...I can't do anything on a plane, I have to keep my eyes closed and try to go to sleep, i can't handle being on a plane.

@Thinking...did i tell u, my car came back to life? Well, it did!! I just don't want it to snow more!
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#149345 Jan 22, 2013
Odd. Why would one raise a glass to another man's buttocks?
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet he doesn't even know you toasted his ass, Dave.

Location hidden

#149346 Jan 22, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there anything u could do for me?

write my award speech?:-)

Location hidden

#149347 Jan 22, 2013
Clementia wrote:
@Tide...I can't do anything on a plane, I have to keep my eyes closed and try to go to sleep,...
I bet I could make you open your eyes.

Some women have thought they would pop out of their sockets.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#149348 Jan 22, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You're still incorrect.
It would be immoral not to save civilians from a bomb blast if you could.
An all powerful god that lets children get shot, or die of leukaemia, or get raped by priests, or to be threatened with eternal damnation would also be immoral- if such a god existed.
<quoted text>
You are still doing it.

You are appealing to an absolute standard of morality, whilst denying one exists.

If there is not an absolute standard, they you cannot argue that "anything" is immoral...

Location hidden

#149349 Jan 22, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Odd. Why would one raise a glass to another man's buttocks?
<quoted text>
Not sure. I can crack walnuts with mine. Maybe that's it.

(It's handy for baking)

Location hidden

#149350 Jan 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Slavery may not have been moral then (to us), but was considered such 2-6 thousand years ago. But you can't apply one standard against the other because we do not understand life the same way.
Survival is not necessarily an submission of approval.
One may be a Nazi in 1940's Germany for no other reason than fear.
Yes morality is subjective like that but you have to remember the dynamics that the singular impression of it may differ from the majority. But you are also using two standards where one is pretty much universal in 1940 Germany , the seeds of freedom had been already been sewn throughout the world.
That is my point.

You keep claiming that in the past, that there was a lesser standard of morality.

But you cannot argue that, you can only argue a "different" standard of subjective morality, as subjective morality by its nature can only argue "different", not "right" or "wrong".

That is of course leaving aside the fact you need an absolute standard of morality with which to define a subjective standard of morality...

As society determines your morality for you, whatever society decides you have to abide by.

Are you happy with that?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#149351 Jan 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
Yes, you do want to set the standard for your own morality, that is your sinful condition.
I notice that you demand atheists are not disparaged, but that you have no issue when christians are disparaged. So that high horse is one you should not be riding.:-)
Atheism demands a very limited view of the world based on a biblical truth, that states that men suppress the truth of Gods existance because of their love of sin.
I rail against Christianity, not necessarily Christians. Christianity has a doctrine and a history deserving of harsh ridicule and condemnation.

Look at what Christianity did to you. You aren't able to learn anything that contradicts your programming. I learn new things everyday, and change my mind often in response to better information coming in. My morality and ethics continue to improve as I learn more about the world and humanity. Your worldview was born thousands of years ago out of ignorant tribalism.

There is nothing in the Bible or in the behavior of Christians that suggests a link to a deity. It's a religion. People in religions believe their religions. There are many religions. If all those people believe just like you do, what sets you apart? Do you believe they are being deceived or deluded? Could that not happen to you? Are you immune to being deceived?

Location hidden

#149352 Jan 22, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You have yet to define what you mean by "absolute moral standards". Those listed in the Bible most certainly cannot be what you are talking about.
<quoted text>
No, I don't. But I realize it is beyond you to understand.
<quoted text>
Atheism only informs you of what I am NOT, i.e., I am not a theist. It tells you nothing about what I am. Again this appears to be too hard for you to understand.
What I am is a Humanist.
Humanists understand that ethical values are derived from human need and interest as tested by experience. We are committed to treating each person as having inherent worth and dignity, and to making informed choices in a context of responsible freedom.
Humanists understand that humans are social by nature and find meaning in relationships. Humanists long for and strive toward a world of mutual care and concern, free of cruelty and its consequences, where differences are resolved cooperatively without resorting to violence.
Humanists understand that working to benefit society maximizes individual happiness.
Humanists are concerned for the well being of all, are committed to the equal enjoyment of human rights and civil liberties in an open, secular society and maintain it is a civic duty to participate in the democratic process.
Absolute moral standards.

The concept of right or wrong, good or evil etc.

These are the two foundational absolute moral principles in the Bible:

1. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind and all of your strength.

2. You shall love your neighbour as yourself.

Location hidden

#149353 Jan 22, 2013
^^Paraphrase of course.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#149354 Jan 22, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>I never said my morality was superior than your?
Yes you did. You said that you learned it or agree with your saints and that they had it all right. Since I don't follow your saints or your mummy, I must be wrong to some degree.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#149355 Jan 22, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>

Several rolls of duct tape would in fact not cure, but at least give some satisfaction.

Location hidden

#149356 Jan 22, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>

So your worldview starts from a negative...

Why is it so important, do you think, that you have to start from a position of denial in order to identify yourself?

Denial only makes sense if there is something to deny...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 min Uncle Sam 2,347
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 37 min _Bad Company 23,193
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 41 min _Bad Company 130
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 1 hr thetruth 29
God' existence 1 hr thetruth 61
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 4 hr Crazy Mess 1
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 21 hr thetruth 1,442
More from around the web