Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
143,421 - 143,440 of 225,513 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I cannot say because I wasn't there, but can only say I don't think I would have thought it to be. But In defense of the ignorance of slaveholders, they really thought the slaves were more like animals than humans then. that frame of mind changed, I think when everyone actually discovered that the slaves were just as human and feeling as anyone else. This probably didn't take as long as it did to end the practice, because their was profit involved.
As long as profit is involved there will be greedy men who don't care what feelings get in their way.
Thank you.

Point proved.

Slavery was not wrong then, but is now.

And if tomorrow society decides that slavery of a few will benefit the majority, with your reasoning, you are duty bound to follow that decision.

If you have lived in Germany during the 1930's, with your reasoning here, you would have been a nazi...

Have you really thought this through thoroughly?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Yes it does. Moreover, morality predates any modern religion.
<quoted text>
You are correct.

Absolute Morality predates the universe, as it is an expression of Gods own Character.

And as Christianity was the first "religion" known to man, then you have just confirmed what I have been saying all along...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
It was always morally wrong, but an evil society allowed it to happen! Moral people have been fighting against evil since the beginning.
No, because Aura moves with society, he's influenced by society, so if he was in the olden days, he would have kept slaves, too.
LOL, i'm gonna get a telling off from Aura! I love u really, buddy!! I'm just sayin'. Forgive me!!
Exactly...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I think you are finally getting it! Just think a little bit harder and I think we may have a break through!
Let me know when the light bulb shines!
I understand you perfectly.

The problem is you don't understand your own argument.

You cannot define any morality if you do not have an absolute standard to define it with.

In that case, you cannot argue that anything is "right" or "wrong", all you can argue for is expediency.

And if it is expedient for someone to rape someone, then you have no right to condemn that.

You need to follow your own reasoning to its logical conclusion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>

I'm not duty bound to shit. That must be where you're having trouble understanding me. I make my own rules.
Exactly.

And this is what the Bible explains.

Man thinks that through his own finite reasoning, he can reason greater than God, who gave him that reasoning, which has now become perverted.

The problem is that you soon are reduced to absurdity, when you reject the God whos nature is logical.

If you are the arbiter of morality, what happens if someone disagrees with you?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Cycle wasting cu*ts like you deserve no better.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I must say, your atheistic reasoning is really top class in terms of atheistic reasoning.
Some of the others here, should save their time and just post like you, as their arguments basically boil down to the same arbitrarty dismissal of logic and reasoning.
:-)

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that we forget there are different kinds of realities and that our experience of them is entirely dependent upon our perception has nothing to do with hippies. It has everything to do with relinquishing preconceived notions about the self in relation to an infinite universe; not to denigrate the significance of social changes brought about by the 60's. While much of the hippie style and values has been mainstreamed into America,(green movement, eradication of nuclear weapons, an awareness of the destructive nature of a materialistic social status quo etc.), hippies adopted many of the spiritual concepts of eastern philosophy.
I prefer to consider rather than ignore the concept of the "inviolate" nature of the individual spirit before, during, and after physical existence whether or not any theory of reincarnation is involved. I understand the Buddhist teaching that perfect joy can be found in the eventual surrender of self to a supreme force although I have yet to determine how the self who surrenders knows it has done so if it has been so thoroughly absorbed in nirvanic bliss.
With all its distortions, one thing can be said of Christianity, it is not as limiting as Eastern teachings. Though the goal be enlightenment, the path to enlightenment as taught by gurus is not merely self-denial and acceptance of suffering as good, it requires the eradication of your individuality by killing all desire and intent.
For a host of reasons, our religions have emphasized repression, restriction, and pennance rather than benediction, expression, celebration, or love. Nearly all religions, western and eastern alike, have shown a suspicious willingness to surrender the conscious self, either to a bland heaven or nirvanic blessed non-being. If, as I believe, God is individualized in all of us, in all things, then it is precisely that God-given identity, that God-knowing-Itself-as-us that we want to understand.
You are too intellectual for them to grok.

Christianity does allow for more individual expression than the others. Which is sort of an evolutionary advantage. Much more adaptive to change and new things than the others. Can charge ahead instead of just maintaining the status quo. But these pseudo-atheists don't understand that. They just follow other leaders.

Purely and simply, humankind are just facets of a higher being. You can still accept that and be individual. This existence is a construct you spend some time in. Much like being in the Army. You follow the rules to get a job done, but you can think for yourself and use your individual talents to the advantage of the group when needed.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Iain Banks punctured your twatballoon years ago.

Instead of getting into a long debate about whether it is right or wrong to use torture to get information to save people from an impending bomb blast he cut through it thus:

Yes.
You torture the person.
You prevent the bomb killing civilians.
Then you hand yourself in to the authorities.
End of moral dilemma.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand you perfectly.
The problem is you don't understand your own argument.
You cannot define any morality if you do not have an absolute standard to define it with.
In that case, you cannot argue that anything is "right" or "wrong", all you can argue for is expediency.
And if it is expedient for someone to rape someone, then you have no right to condemn that.
You need to follow your own reasoning to its logical conclusion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know?
<quoted text>
I'm not duty bound to shit. That must be where you're having trouble understanding me. I make my own rules.
<quoted text>
It gives us a survival advantage as a species.
Personally, empathy influences me to be more tolerant and considerate to others, which makes me feel good, and generally leads to people expressing empathy towards me in return.
<quoted text>
That is true for all people. Disparaging atheists in this way is dishonest.
<quoted text>
The news isn't anything to go by.
<quoted text>
We do not have equality in the word. That is why empathy is not a higher priority in some people.
<quoted text>
Atheism only answers one question, "Do you believe in any gods?", with the answer, "No."
I get the feeling that you would like for my worldview to have a name, but it doesn't. It's personal to me.
Yes, you do want to set the standard for your own morality, that is your sinful condition.

I notice that you demand atheists are not disparaged, but that you have no issue when christians are disparaged. So that high horse is one you should not be riding.:-)

Atheism demands a very limited view of the world based on a biblical truth, that states that men suppress the truth of Gods existance because of their love of sin.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Cycle wasting cu*ts like you deserve no better.
<quoted text>
You really need to deal with your aggression.

It just makes you look like a fool.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Pat wrote:
EVERY argument for god is an argument from ignorance based not upon knowledge but rather the absence of it.God = human ignorance.
Now let me apply the same arbitrary argument so you can see how logically absurd it is, back to you:

EVERY argument for arockdidit is an argument from ignorance based not upon knowledge but rather the absence of it. arockdidit = human ignorance.

That rabbit hole isn't worth pursuing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
It boggles my mind just how morally challenged theists can be. Ethics are the rules of group cooperation, nothing more. They have nothing at all to do with your sky fairy beliefs. The golden rule is pretty simple. We do not kill witches for the same reason we do not kill theists. We should treat each other as we want to be treated. This is the basic principle that allows civilization to exist. Morals evolved in us because they are a benefit to our survival.
By the way, faith is immoral for it is dishonest. Honest people admit to not knowing things that are not known, theists just fill in all the blanks to all the tough questions with the word god and considered the matter solved. Theists are both mentally lazy and dishonest.
You first appeal to an absolute standard of morality.

You then appeal to subjective morality.

You then appeal to absolute standards of morality.

Your whole post is illogical, as it is full of contradictions...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Iain Banks punctured your twatballoon years ago.
Instead of getting into a long debate about whether it is right or wrong to use torture to get information to save people from an impending bomb blast he cut through it thus:
Yes.
You torture the person.
You prevent the bomb killing civilians.
Then you hand yourself in to the authorities.
End of moral dilemma.
<quoted text>
So it is ok to torture people as long as you pay for the crime later?

Interesting theology you have there.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

?
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You really need to deal with your aggression.
It just makes you look like a fool.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

No, not theology.
It's called doing the right thing.
The default position is to avoid torture wherever possible.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So it is ok to torture people as long as you pay for the crime later?
Interesting theology you have there.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Bollocks.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You first appeal to an absolute standard of morality.
You then appeal to subjective morality.
You then appeal to absolute standards of morality.
Your whole post is illogical, as it is full of contradictions...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
No, not theology.
It's called doing the right thing.
The default position is to avoid torture wherever possible.
<quoted text>
But how do you define the right thing.

I have yet to see you present a reasonable basis for morality.

Your last attempt was it is okay to be immoral as long as you pay for the crime later.

The ends justify the means in other words.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Bollocks.
<quoted text>
You are fast becoming my favourite atheist.

Your elucidation of the true nature of atheism is a wonder to behold.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

?
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You are fast becoming my favourite atheist.
Your elucidation of the true nature of atheism is a wonder to behold.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. Conservation of energy is a local, not just a global phenomenon. The Higg's particle 'produces mass' only in the sense that the symmetry breaking and the resulting interaction with the Higg's produces resistance to forces (i.e, mass). Also, the vast majority of ordinary matter gets its mass from a *different* symmetry breaking, not from the Higg's (which produces masses for the larger quarks and some other large particles).
Conservation of energy , depends if isolated / open or closed.
We cant be sure if it even applies on a universal scale, but assuming it does.
How can we isolate or close a galaxy or even solar system?
We can isolate them or close them to within the universe.

Unless I don't understand it, it's pretty much claimed the Higgs field gives mass to ordinary particles. Though not the only way, and not all mass needed for an atom, or other things found or unknown such as dark matter, and black holes.

Here is an interesting take on it, But you're the particle man.
But I've been led to thing the Higgs field (fields) are the reason.

"The Higgs field (or fields) and its particle (or particles, if any) are collectively referred to as the “Higgs sector”. I’ll use that term as a catch-all in the following discussion. The simplest possible Higgs sector is the one that appears in the so-called “Standard Model of Particle Physics”, a set of equations describing all of the known elementary particles and the simplest possible Higgs sector: one Higgs field and its associated Higgs particle.[Actually that's the way things are after the Higgs field becomes non-zero; to see what things are like before the Higgs field is non-zero, read this article, which shows the Higgs sector actually starts off with four Higgs particles, and ends up with one.] But far more complicated Higgs sectors, with many more fields and particles, might be present in nature. For them, the implications of the current Higgs searches are correspondingly much more complicated to characterize."

http://profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-pos...

Of course we could all be wrong about it, or at least it is a possibility too.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••