Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,171)

Showing posts 143,401 - 143,420 of223,974
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 11

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Wrong as usual. Humans are a social tribal animal. We long to be part of a tribe so to speak and thrive off of interaction. We can see even in the animal kingdom in social animals there that certain behaviors are not acceptable and will cause a violator to be outcast from the group if not killed by it.

Ravens for example take one mate for life as do several other species. The two mates care for each other and even the male raven cares for the eggs and hatchlings while the female goes hunting and such. If one raven dies the other will not select another mate something even in captivity they have problems with.

Should an outside raven target that female or hatchlings? They have been known to be attacked and even brutally killed by other ravens in the murder.

Why? Such behavior is not accepted by the flock and will be dealt with as such.

Is there a raven Jesus out there that died on the raven cross by crows for the sins of other ravens? Lol!

We see this on species after species. We are no different and unlike the bible days where rape and slavery were approved we have moved past the evil biblical morality. Well we secular humanists have anyways although I don't want to speak for your ilk.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.
Remove that absolute standard and rape is not wrong, it is just someones personal choice.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

And the great thing is that I unlike god and the voices in your head actually exist!

I am glad you approve of my honesty and I will continue to remind you to take your meds. Listen to real people not the voices in your head.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>He's my best friend on Topix :)
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
unlike the bible days where rape and slavery were approved we have moved past the evil biblical morality. Well we secular humanists have anyways although I don't want to speak for your ilk.
<quoted text>
Amen to that. Or is that ramen?
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I say it.
And I also say that morality, what's right and wrong, does not change. People may become inured to immorality and shut their eyes to it, but it remains immoral even if the bulk of the society allows it.
There is immorality, in my view, in the U.S. today, and most people unfortunately don't see it as immoral. Yet it is. The very idea of people being homeless and not having enough to eat is immoral.
Someday things may change.
"And I also say that morality, what's right and wrong, does not change."

That's your foolish ego doing your thinking. There is no such thing as universal right and wrong. Right and wrong only can be applied in terms of human wants and needs. If you were a cow, eating beef would be immoral and the killing of humans irrelevant.

"The very idea of people being homeless and not having enough to eat is immoral."

No it is not immoral. If their situation is their own doing because they chose to waste their money on drugs for example, how is it immoral? Is it moral to have children when you can't even afford to put a roof over your head? What is immoral is to have babies you can not afford to raise and then have the government tax you and take your hard earned dollars and give them to someone else for them to raise their offspring when you should have had that money to use to raise your own children with. Both the government is immoral for doing this as are the parents who live like parasites off of unrealted taxpayers and take this money.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
Mindon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindon
These non-physical spirit particles form what is commonly thought of as the mind around which the structure of the brain is formulated. They permeate the brain.
Show me one example. Show me how to detect them. Show me a general theory of them.
Science's ideas about what is possible and not possible creates barriers to its own understanding. Because of its exclusive focus in physical reality, it can only examine an atom, or a cell, or anything from that limited perspective.
Garbage. The only requirement to do science is that it be possible to make testable hypotheses that agree with observation. That's it.
When you can understand that you are spirit made flesh, then, you can understand how you are free of space and time.
When you show how to test the existence of a spirit and how to measure it, then we can start talking. Until then, this is simply your fantasy.
Your body is a pattern. While the material that composes it changes constantly, the pattern (spirit) maintains its own integrity. The form is etched in space and time and yet the pattern itself exists outside of that framework. The body is a projection of spirit into the three dimensional field.
Nice claims. Any evidence? Anything testable here? What, for example, would be something that could show you *wrong*, even in theory?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The uncertainty principle is strange the way it works with the higgs field , it doesn't violate the conservation of matter/ energy if it subtracts / adds from the whole. it can borrow from this side of the galaxy to add to the other.
Not really. Conservation of energy is a local, not just a global phenomenon. The Higg's particle 'produces mass' only in the sense that the symmetry breaking and the resulting interaction with the Higg's produces resistance to forces (i.e, mass). Also, the vast majority of ordinary matter gets its mass from a *different* symmetry breaking, not from the Higg's (which produces masses for the larger quarks and some other large particles).

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
I think Polymath believes in virtual particles,
We have evidence of their effects, yes.
Virtual particles woul dhave to come from another dimension beyond this physical one.
Why would you think that? Virtual particles are simply off-shell counterparts for ordinary ones. They do not 'come from another dimension'. They are part of this physical reality.
Which gives credence to the idea of spirit creating matter.
Only to people who don't understand what a virtual particle actually is.
You are under belief matter is created from within, as evinced by your reference to the Higg's thingy creating particles. Which, BTW, violates the theory of the BB. ALL matter was created during the condensation and has just been shuffled around since then. As was the energy released.
No, the Higg's mechanism has nothing whatsoever to do with the Big Bang (which was not a condensation).
You are a bit mixed up. Make up your mind. Was the universe and its components made from within, or from without? Atomic nuclei is the starting point for an outward release of energy, or it is the focal point from force outside, like the center of a whirlpool.
Nonsense questions.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither of you are lying, you are simply choosing to believe different sources. Personally, I think Lincoln did use the phrase "under God" when he delivered the address because, as the Wiki article noted, three different reporters telegraphed the text of the speech on the same day from their stenographic notes. But Lincoln may have improvised the phrase on the spot or have been mulling it over in his mind without having written it down. But adding the phrase to the pledge was not necessarily inspired by the speech--does anyone know for sure?
"Under God" was first used on February 12, 1948, Lincoln's Birthday, in honor of his Gettysburg Address.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Alle...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not when I was born.
Will when you die.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The way it is explained to me is like the pixels on your monitor.
To continually produce different images it doesn't require more pixels , but borrows the pixels from the whole.
That way for a pixel to appear here, one goes dark over there.
Except for the universe has infinitely more pixels than your monitor. It's not violating conservation, its shifting particles around through the higgs field and virtual particles. They are not in another universe, they just exist in imperceptibly short bursts spread out over a imperceptibly large area.
Those virtual particles are effects of the motion of space producing matter.

You can't collect pixels in a bucket. They aren't really "solid". "Pixels" are just swirls of energy impacted by a stream of energy, which "lights" them up giving an appearance of solidity.
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

EVERY argument for god is an argument from ignorance based not upon knowledge but rather the absence of it.God = human ignorance.
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry, as an atheist, do you have a basis for arguing that there is something wrong with killing witches?
After all, doesn't survival of the fittest demand that the strongest and most ruthless survive?
I am not sure, why, if you were to really live as an atheist (or secular humanist as you referred to yourself before, I believe), you would object to that?
I have asked you that numerous times and you have never been able to give an answer to it.
Now, if you were a christian and had a basis for appealing to an absolute moral standard, then your question would make sense.
But as you are an atheist, then, your question is nonsensical.
It boggles my mind just how morally challenged theists can be. Ethics are the rules of group cooperation, nothing more. They have nothing at all to do with your sky fairy beliefs. The golden rule is pretty simple. We do not kill witches for the same reason we do not kill theists. We should treat each other as we want to be treated. This is the basic principle that allows civilization to exist. Morals evolved in us because they are a benefit to our survival.

By the way, faith is immoral for it is dishonest. Honest people admit to not knowing things that are not known, theists just fill in all the blanks to all the tough questions with the word god and considered the matter solved. Theists are both mentally lazy and dishonest.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
We have evidence of their effects, yes.
<quoted text>
Why would you think that? Virtual particles are simply off-shell counterparts for ordinary ones. They do not 'come from another dimension'. They are part of this physical reality.
<quoted text>
Only to people who don't understand what a virtual particle actually is.
<quoted text>
No, the Higg's mechanism has nothing whatsoever to do with the Big Bang (which was not a condensation).
<quoted text>
Nonsense questions.
You are under mistake. The BB is portrayed as a rapid expansion that then shrank after giving off heat, and the condensation produced the particles, including the Higg's, which then gave mass to them.

Get past the magical and mystical of it to see what "physically" occurred.

Nonsense questions? Your belief system says everything emerged from a center expanding out. Even your gravity is derived from this mysterious force in the nucleus of atoms. You refuse to believe that this compartment of a greater universe, and its workings, could be constructed. You are like a building sitting there thinking it just magically appeared. Not very scientific.

Think outside the box you are in.
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Will when you die.
Maybe down along hillbilly highway but not up here where I live. Religion is now being viewed more for what it is up here, a carnival side show hustle.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
It was always morally wrong, but an evil society allowed it to happen! Moral people have been fighting against evil since the beginning.
Yes, and it was the Hebrews & Levites that started to change society's outlook on slaves.

I know these atheists want to make the bible look evil because it condoned slavery, but it was a far better form of slavery, especially compared to other cultures in that era that owned slaves.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

http://sciencesetfree.tumblr.com/post/4059415...

BTW, this "constant" shows the limitations of math based physics.

The "measurements" are done in one locale of this universe, and math heads run wild with imagination.

The Earth's gravity is "stronger" because it is within a larger gravity well, the sun's, which in turn is within even larger wells. Gravity is additive.

The constant shifting of celestial bodies works on the gravity of your body.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Clementia wrote:
In india, punjab. I told u, i came here when i was like 2yrs.
There's a restaurant about a mile from me called Punjab Palace.

Good people, bad food.

Maybe I didn't order right.

Can you recommend a good Punjab food?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
It boggles my mind just how morally challenged theists can be. Ethics are the rules of group cooperation, nothing more. They have nothing at all to do with your sky fairy beliefs. The golden rule is pretty simple. We do not kill witches for the same reason we do not kill theists. We should treat each other as we want to be treated. This is the basic principle that allows civilization to exist. Morals evolved in us because they are a benefit to our survival.
By the way, faith is immoral for it is dishonest. Honest people admit to not knowing things that are not known, theists just fill in all the blanks to all the tough questions with the word god and considered the matter solved. Theists are both mentally lazy and dishonest.
Your group cooperation requires the elimination of threats to said group and its survival as a group. Meaning you kill your enemies, or render them no longer a threat. You may even gain an economic advantage in enslaving them. It also means silencing dissidents within the group.

Strictly a secularist thing.

Any sense of "group" beyond your immediate one is based upon some ideal beyond the physical.

You are a confused person.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
They tried this same crap in the sixties; doesn't work. Idealists are so goofy.
The fact that we forget there are different kinds of realities and that our experience of them is entirely dependent upon our perception has nothing to do with hippies. It has everything to do with relinquishing preconceived notions about the self in relation to an infinite universe; not to denigrate the significance of social changes brought about by the 60's. While much of the hippie style and values has been mainstreamed into America,(green movement, eradication of nuclear weapons, an awareness of the destructive nature of a materialistic social status quo etc.), hippies adopted many of the spiritual concepts of eastern philosophy.

I prefer to consider rather than ignore the concept of the "inviolate" nature of the individual spirit before, during, and after physical existence whether or not any theory of reincarnation is involved. I understand the Buddhist teaching that perfect joy can be found in the eventual surrender of self to a supreme force although I have yet to determine how the self who surrenders knows it has done so if it has been so thoroughly absorbed in nirvanic bliss.

With all its distortions, one thing can be said of Christianity, it is not as limiting as Eastern teachings. Though the goal be enlightenment, the path to enlightenment as taught by gurus is not merely self-denial and acceptance of suffering as good, it requires the eradication of your individuality by killing all desire and intent.

For a host of reasons, our religions have emphasized repression, restriction, and pennance rather than benediction, expression, celebration, or love. Nearly all religions, western and eastern alike, have shown a suspicious willingness to surrender the conscious self, either to a bland heaven or nirvanic blessed non-being. If, as I believe, God is individualized in all of us, in all things, then it is precisely that God-given identity, that God-knowing-Itself-as-us that we want to understand.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Bollocks.
<quoted text>
I must say, your atheistic reasoning is really top class in terms of atheistic reasoning.

Some of the others here, should save their time and just post like you, as their arguments basically boil down to the same arbitrarty dismissal of logic and reasoning.

:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 143,401 - 143,420 of223,974
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
How anti-atheist stigma affects the mental heal... 59 min NightSerf 1
A Really Good Thing 1 hr NightSerf 1
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr NightSerf 150
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 2 hr Richardfs 2
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr Richardfs 830
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 hr Mikko 21,376
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 8 hr religionisillness 349
•••
•••