Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,170)

Showing posts 143,381 - 143,400 of223,260
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Serah

Summertown, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're so pleasent. I bet you have lots of friends.
He's my best friend on Topix :)

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
In india, punjab. I told u, i came here when i was like 2yrs.
So, the morality that your family abides by is the morality that you learned in India or England? Was it learned from your religion or your town?

What makes you believe that your morality is superior to mine?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
first of all, Sikhism says the world is billions of years old!
Secondly, u didn't understand what i was trying to say! but never mind!
If you religion is not the same age as humans; what took your god so long to teach humans what he demands?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
not quite true. Physics can predict exact properties of atoms in energy eigenstates. Physics can also predict the probability of quantities for other states.
<quoted text>
Well, THAT is a huge jump. A completely physical phenomenon shows how a non-physical phenomenon happens?
<quoted text>
Not quite sure what you are claiming here.
<quoted text>
LMAO mindons????
Mindon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindon

These non-physical spirit particles form what is commonly thought of as the mind around which the structure of the brain is formulated. They permeate the brain.

Science's ideas about what is possible and not possible creates barriers to its own understanding. Because of its exclusive focus in physical reality, it can only examine an atom, or a cell, or anything from that limited perspective. When you can understand that you are spirit made flesh, then, you can understand how you are free of space and time.

Your body is a pattern. While the material that composes it changes constantly, the pattern (spirit) maintains its own integrity. The form is etched in space and time and yet the pattern itself exists outside of that framework. The body is a projection of spirit into the three dimensional field.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
These non-physical spirit particles form what is commonly thought of as the mind around which the structure of the brain is formulated. They permeate the brain.
Science's ideas about what is possible and not possible creates barriers to its own understanding. Because of its exclusive focus in physical reality, it can only examine an atom, or a cell, or anything from that limited perspective. When you can understand that you are spirit made flesh, then, you can understand how you are free of space and time.
Your body is a pattern. While the material that composes it changes constantly, the pattern (spirit) maintains its own integrity. The form is etched in space and time and yet the pattern itself exists outside of that framework. The body is a projection of spirit into the three dimensional field.
What does the king of Burma have to do with this?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wishy washy existentialist garbage. You cannot provide any evidence for any of your assertions, until then, they are all myths.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"You have a very strange mix of science and religion. it's almost scary because you can make up anything like that.
How the non physical is made physical has severe limitation
and is at the sub atomic level. Atoms when exchanging particles
have real world consequences, we call that chemistry , or reaction
and decay, these effects are observable and well defined.
This doesn't correspond with virtual particles and the uncertainty principle, which is at interactions smaller than atoms.
Virtual particles AKA the formation of new particles , we have just begun to understand, but know the Higg's field and its bosons and assorted other particles are the reason. I'm not really sure what you are getting at here? Can you formulate a cohesive narrative to what you are saying? "
Talking to yourself again?
I think Polymath believes in virtual particles, Virtual particles woul dhave to come from another dimension beyond this physical one. Which gives credence to the idea of spirit creating matter.
You are under belief matter is created from within, as evinced by your reference to the Higg's thingy creating particles. Which, BTW, violates the theory of the BB. ALL matter was created during the condensation and has just been shuffled around since then. As was the energy released.
You are a bit mixed up. Make up your mind. Was the universe and its components made from within, or from without? Atomic nuclei is the starting point for an outward release of energy, or it is the focal point from force outside, like the center of a whirlpool.
The uncertainty principle is strange the way it works with the higgs field , it doesn't violate the conservation of matter/ energy if it subtracts / adds from the whole. it can borrow from this side of the galaxy to add to the other.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
Does that require a Heisenberg compensator or a continuum transfunctioner?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

"The new atheism is going the way of the freak show."

"The USA is rapidly becoming a culture of customization. People want to write their own marriage vows and have tailor-made funerals. They gravitate toward religious options that are more personal and less institutional. In this respect, the "unaffiliated" and the "non-denominational" Protestant are cut from the same cloth. In fact, many Americans refuse to affiliate with any religious organization not because they do not believe in God but because they believe in God so fervently that they cannot imagine any human institution capturing the mysteries of the divine."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/printedition/n...

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

digitaldan wrote:
"The USA is rapidly becoming a culture of customization. People want to write their own marriage vows and have tailor-made funerals. They gravitate toward religious options that are more personal and less institutional. In this respect, the "unaffiliated" and the "non-denominational" Protestant are cut from the same cloth. In fact, many Americans refuse to affiliate with any religious organization not because they do not believe in God but because they believe in God so fervently that they cannot imagine any human institution capturing the mysteries of the divine."
Good luck with that, dude.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

I think Polymath believes in virtual particles, Virtual particles woul dhave to come from another dimension beyond this physical one.

The way it is explained to me is like the pixels on your monitor.

To continually produce different images it doesn't require more pixels , but borrows the pixels from the whole.
That way for a pixel to appear here, one goes dark over there.
Except for the universe has infinitely more pixels than your monitor. It's not violating conservation, its shifting particles around through the higgs field and virtual particles. They are not in another universe, they just exist in imperceptibly short bursts spread out over a imperceptibly large area.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wishy washy existentialist garbage. You cannot provide any evidence for any of your assertions, until then, they are all myths.
It matters little what you and your ilk think, or what science "thinks" it knows. We are all spirit made flesh and your opinions will not change that truth one iota.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

digitaldan wrote:
There is a new vision shimmering on the horizon. Growing numbers of people can see little sense in Christianity's or science's version of the nature of man and his place in the universe. Intuitively they know we need a democracy of spirit, an end to hierarchies whether religious or secular. The idea of Divinity expressing itself equally through each citizen fits in quite well with our nation of do-it-yourselfers. In fact, the divine quality in mankind would provide the self-reliance and trust that would truly enable a people to govern themselves. Such a people would never give war a divine sanction, but would consider it a deplorable example of man's own distorted beliefs about himself and the world. And such a people would no longer couple the idea of individualism with Darwinian survival of the fittest doctrines that foster competition rather than cooperation.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Whereas you suffer with arseteroids.
<quoted text>
Nah, I am actually pretty good at that game.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
It matters little what you and your ilk think, or what science "thinks" it knows. We are all spirit made flesh and your opinions will not change that truth one iota.
You are stating nothing but opinion, and lacking any evidence to support your opinion makes it a delusion. Science is the only reason you are even alive.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Woo.
Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a new vision shimmering on the horizon. Growing numbers of people can see little sense in Christianity's or science's version of the nature of man and his place in the universe. Intuitively they know we need a democracy of spirit, an end to hierarchies whether religious or secular. The idea of Divinity expressing itself equally through each citizen fits in quite well with our nation of do-it-yourselfers. In fact, the divine quality in mankind would provide the self-reliance and trust that would truly enable a people to govern themselves. Such a people would never give war a divine sanction, but would consider it a deplorable example of man's own distorted beliefs about himself and the world. And such a people would no longer couple the idea of individualism with Darwinian survival of the fittest doctrines that foster competition rather than cooperation.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Wrathbone wrote:
<quoted text>
They tried this same crap in the sixties; doesn't work. Idealists are so goofy.

Since: Mar 11

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

All you did daffy was show your blind hatred towards people who don't believe in your imaginary friend. Lance has held hands with cancer patients and said prayers for them. Atheists don't say prayers you moron.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
From whence did he get his moral code? That cheating was perfectly fine as long as one doesnít get caught at it. What we see in Lance is the same thing we see in a lot of militant atheist and thatís narcissism.
The work he did for cancer patients is appreciated but that work was built on a faÁade of him being a honest winner.
Yes Lance did wrong and has come clean but only because he was caught and the evidence is overwhelming.
We have also seen religious leaders over the years that have been caught living a double life in scandals of every sort. This makes me a skeptic of many religious leaders on TV myself.
Lance can rebuild a new reputation by doing public speaking and giving his life to Christ. That of course is my own opinion. I think there could be a big future for him but not in sports.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I was trying to generate a new discussion and please notice I didnít spew any hateful and degrading comments towards you.

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Are you saying the bible god is not the creator of all?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're so pleasent. I bet you have lots of friends.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Well who said this was a debate? This is about you making a jackass out of yourself because you've been retarded by your retarded god and me pointing it out.

Junior you could in no way shape or form actually debate me. But do try, just for laughs. Why should anyone believe that god is anything more than an imaginary character?

Hurry up now.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Ad hominem and then prejudiced conjecture.
This debate is not going to to too well for you, if that is how you start your logical assertions...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 143,381 - 143,400 of223,260
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••