Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
143,341 - 143,360 of 224,675 Comments Last updated 16 min ago

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Morality changes all the time! It all depends on where in the world you are.
The bible god stated that girls who lost their virginity before marriage were to be stone or burned to death. Most of the world does not believe that is proper or moral anymore.
Now since the bible god said to do it and most of us ignore him, that should tell you something about the bible god!
O please stop saying society changing is the same as morality changing. It's not.

There were people in the olden days who said religion is bulsh*t! and people who say it today, too!

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Slavery was always wrong- but only by applying today's non religious morals.
Religious morality said slavery was OK.
Therefore morality can change, and change for the better.
<quoted text>
I don't think we can blame religion entirely.
We must blame ignorance and greed and the nature of predation itself.
We do learn though , hopefully I mean, though we can I do think blame religion for regression of learning.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
O please stop saying society changing is the same as morality changing. It's not.
There were people in the olden days who said religion is bulsh*t! and people who say it today, too!
Where are you from?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No dear, it's just very hard to say what we would feel in another time. We can only say what we feel to be right now. As much as you may feel somethings moral now , it could change over time. It's quite hard to imagine it, but we must remember it was moral to fight criminals and slaves to death in arena. Conquer ans enslave other cultures as well as destroy whole nations for little more than the spread of an Empire once.
Aura, baby, open your eyes, u will see the same happening in the present. What the hell do u think the west is doing in the middle east? Guantanamo bay???? ring any bells???

No hunnie, it can't change. i think killing anything is wrong. Killing a fetus is wrong too, coz i think i'm killing something which is alive. if science can prove to me the fetus does not feel pain and it is not alive, my view and understanding will change but my morality will not.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Yes it does. Moreover, morality predates any modern religion.
<quoted text>
Adam felt shame of his nakedness.
This is a hint of exactly what you say.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I say it.

And I also say that morality, what's right and wrong, does not change. People may become inured to immorality and shut their eyes to it, but it remains immoral even if the bulk of the society allows it.

There is immorality, in my view, in the U.S. today, and most people unfortunately don't see it as immoral. Yet it is. The very idea of people being homeless and not having enough to eat is immoral.

Someday things may change.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Agreed. But religion was used to justify slavery, much like trade laws are applied to oppress today.
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I don't think we can blame religion entirely.
We must blame ignorance and greed and the nature of predation itself.
We do learn though , hopefully I mean, though we can I do think blame religion for regression of learning.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Exactly. That's why morals today are different to 500 years ago.
<quoted text>
No, they were not! i have proof, coz that is when Sikhism was started! That religion which said women can do what men can do!! no slavery, no rape etc.....

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam felt shame of his nakedness.
This is a hint of exactly what you say.
When was that story first told? Certainly not when it supposedly happened!

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You have so much wrong in this post , it doesn't follow anything.
Atoms are predictable and defined, particles are subject to unpredictability or more correctly uncertainty.
But they are predictable when observed, because observation collapses the wave and forces a pinpoint location.
Atoms are particles following set processes, and defined parameters for them to exist they have to be somewhat stable.
We give them atomic mass and numbers to identify them.
Their components are defined and predictable.
It's been stated in theory that although tachyons (faster than light particles) cannot be observed, their radiation which travels much slower can. This radiation, then, the theoretical carrier of information is all science could gather about tachyons or similar particles.

It is impossible, even in principle, to predict the behavior of any single atom; all physicists can do is predict the average properties of a large collection of atoms. Further, Quantum theory holds that a vacuum, like atoms, is subject to quantum uncertainties. This means that things can materialize out of the vacuum of space. While this phenomenon has never been observed directly, measurements of the electron's magnetic strength imply that it is real and happening even now. This is how the non-physical is made physical, or spirit is made flesh.

Moreover, many physicists now think it untenable to consider that each condition or event in the universe embodies the same kind of time. Physicists and parapsychologists have suggested various sorts of minute and undiscovered entities (mindons, psychons, psitrons, and so forth) that can move backward in time relative to our conscious conception of what time is, or that are at least free of our idea of time that flows inevitably forward.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are you from?
i'm from England! I'm a sikh from punjab! Guru nanak spoke out against these stupid religious things and so did sooo many saints, since the beginning of hinduism, saints have been fighting, day and night, to change these stupid people!!

I know morality does not change! only society does!

u forgot me that easily, sheepy boy?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

mtimber wrote:
I know you believe that morality is evolved, but you have not thought that through.
I wonder if you've thought about it at all.
mtimber wrote:
Morality then, is merely that which is expedient to the greater number of individuals.
Not even close.
mtimber wrote:
Expediency then does not supply good or evil, right or wrong, it just supplies itself.
One of us is confused.
mtimber wrote:
You are confusing the godidit argument (akin to the atheistic arockdidit) with the transcendental argument for Gods existence, two separate arguments.
Do you believe that your god gave humanity morality? That's a goddidit answer. It works as well with any number of deities.
mtimber wrote:
You also now have placed morality squarely back in the individuals hands.
So now which individual is right morally?
Here we go. You need a basis for measuring morality. If you have two moral codes, to compare them, you need to break each down into their most fundamental values. If those basic values are not the same, you can't measure which code best follows those most fundamental values.
mtimber wrote:
The one with the most votes?
No.
mtimber wrote:
Because if that is your standard, you have a problem.
Oh, good. I'd hate to have a problem.
mtimber wrote:
Hitler gained the most votes, therefore, according to your logic, he was morally right...
You didn't wait to get my answer. It was no.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they were not! i have proof, coz that is when Sikhism was started! That religion which said women can do what men can do!! no slavery, no rape etc.....
So, you say that the Earth is billions of years old, but Sikhism is only 500-years-old? That should give you a clue about your religion.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Yawn. Sikh terrorists caused the worst atrocity in Canadian aviation history. Maybe your morality remains forever the same as theirs, but mine does not.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm from England! I'm a sikh from punjab! Guru nanak spoke out against these stupid religious things and so did sooo many saints, since the beginning of hinduism, saints have been fighting, day and night, to change these stupid people!!
I know morality does not change! only society does!
u forgot me that easily, sheepy boy?
Were you born in England? If so, where were your parents or grandparents born?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Agreed. But religion was used to justify slavery, much like trade laws are applied to oppress today.
<quoted text>
Religion was used by many to justify what ever end. That I also agree. And yes greed and predation overrule all thought of equality. Even now, but this is more reason why government must never pull the teeth of the people, lest it become greater than all morality, and the thought of liberty gone and forgotten . Like Hitler the world becomes dead and buried, in the wake of the predator.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know who has what amount of empathy. I can only look at behavior.
People who have everything that they need, and live in a relatively free society, would have little reason to harm other people. Even with empathy, a starving person may steal from another very poor person, and that very poor person may kill the starving person, and feel terrible about it. People who feel their own life is in danger will usually not empathize with the person who is threatening their life. To solve the problems, we need to reduce the causes of them. Most of the causes have to do with access to resources and the social environment people live in.
Greater access to resources and stable governments solve all kinds of societal problems.
I agree, that's what i wanted to squeeze outta ya!

People in the west only look good coz they have everything, if they were in the same situation as most people are in india/china they wouldn't look too good.

But believe me tide, there are poor people in the world that would rather starve to death then kill someone and take their food. They are the one's that really know the meaning of empathy.

Also, tide, life is a roller coaster, it has up and down, we will go down and when we do, we will lose our empathy if we don't actually understand it. Governments go up and down!!! Money can not help all the time, u just fall harder the higher up u are!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
When was that story first told? Certainly not when it supposedly happened!
I do agree, but the simple words show knowledge wrought morality, not taught from scripture.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Yawn. Sikh terrorists caused the worst atrocity in Canadian aviation history. Maybe your morality remains forever the same as theirs, but mine does not.
<quoted text>
I guess; there is no true Sikh! LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
i know that!

no, that is the action of immoral people! i told u society can change, not morality, i'm sikh, my religion says they r wrong and my heart says they r wrong!

an american killed children in a school, should i think all american's are evil or they have no morality?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists, give up your lost religion and seek t... (Nov '13) 41 min MrDesoto1 233
The Ultimate Evidence of God 47 min CunningLinguist 19
Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 1 hr CunningLinguist 70,966
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Patrick 266
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Carchar king 21,409
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 4 hr Carchar king 31
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Buck Crick 852
•••
•••