Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#149049 Jan 20, 2013
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>really?

and yet its
the conservatives, not the liberals, who want to dictate who can marry who. Conservatives want to be able to tell complete strangers who they can marry.
its the conservatives, not the liberals, who want to decide what medical procedures a woman can have.
its the conservatives, not the liberals, who want to decide what medications a woman can use.
its the conservatives, not the liberals, who want to decide what you can smoke and what you can't.
its the conservatives, not the liberals, who want to decide what religious dogma, symbology and prayers are acceptable in public and gov't buildings and land

when it comes to having gov't intrude on the private lives of adult U.S. citizens, I'd have to say the conservatives who are forcing others to live their lives according to conservative ideals
I'd say you've got that exactly right.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#149050 Jan 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Well, there's a problem with that.

America is one nation under God, not Satan....
But Satanists live here too.

And they're a recognized religion.

And one nation under god wasn't added until the great commie scare in 1954.

It wasn't there when I was born.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#149051 Jan 20, 2013
solopassage wrote:
No religious affiliation more likely to cause suicide. In 2004, the American Journal of Psychiatry reported the following:

"Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived FEWER REASONS FOR LIVING, particularly FEWER MORAL OBJECTIONS TO SUICIDE. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder."

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx...
It's because we live in a world full of certifiable nutcases.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#149052 Jan 20, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>When we go to public school and prayers are offered or crosses hung in classrooms, or when we go to city hall or a courtroom and the 10 commandments are displayed, we are being told that the government favors Christianity over all other beliefs and non belief as well.

That means that the government thinks less of atheists, and indeed those of ANY other religious beliefs, than it does of Christians.

"In god we trust" does not belong on our currency and "under god" does not belong in our pledge.
"That means that the government thinks less of atheists"

Well that should be no surprise to you, everyone thinks less of you.

"In god we trust" does not belong on our currency and "under god" does not belong in our pledge."

You're totally free to leave and find a place that does not have "In God we trust" on their money.

Isn't it a great thing of this nation that has no problem with you leaving.

Location hidden

#149053 Jan 20, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know god isn't Satan? Have you got a picture of them together? They might be the same thing.
You must be drunk. Or else you simply have chosen not to engage you brain.
What a Dolt!

Location hidden

#149054 Jan 20, 2013
solopassage wrote:
No religious affiliation more likely to cause suicide. In 2004, the American Journal of Psychiatry reported the following:

"Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived FEWER REASONS FOR LIVING, particularly FEWER MORAL OBJECTIONS TO SUICIDE. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder."

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx...
Shhhhh don't tell them that!
We enjoy them blowing out their brains because they can't stand just being an ape.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#149055 Jan 20, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I never. When did i say that? I said i wanna move to america.
stop rubbing it in, it's depressing!!:'-(
hallelujah!!!!! i get them!! I'm not too sure about the grass one tho, how could u not know that u were eating grass?
If you come to America, DO NOT hang out with liberals. They'll mess up your mind.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#149056 Jan 20, 2013
"you brain"
What a dolt!
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
What a Dolt!
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#149057 Jan 20, 2013
In the free world, "liberal" is not a pejorative.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you come to America, DO NOT hang out with liberals. They'll mess up your mind.
Serah

Australia

#149058 Jan 20, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know that Satanists won the right in a Florida school to offer prayer over the PA system, just like the christians have been allowed to?
No, I didn't

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#149059 Jan 20, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
What a Dolt!
You're the dolt that can't see that god and the devil is your religion. Not mine, you believe in them, they are you.
They are who you are, not me. I don't believe in your myths, and I don't believe you.
Serah

Australia

#149060 Jan 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
Naw, they never say nothing to liberty about being rude. In fact, Clementia is even PM-ing him.....
Ah Well ~ the lady that was staying in my home (of the Sikh Faith) is a real lady and Christians and Sikhs get along quite OK, in India, I guess. Her language was impeccable, although she did speak Indian quite a bit and perhaps a bit loudly, but never once did I hear her swear ~ she was, I presume, the modest type :)
Serah

Australia

#149061 Jan 20, 2013
Clementia wrote:
@Serah....look, sweetheart, when me and Redneck are 'fighting', don't get involved! U know, he gave me the shirt off his back when i spilt choco(?) on mine and I've given him permission to fart! U see, we have this....'connection' that u wouldn't understand. I like pullin' his leg, so get off your high horse and sit down and have some butter milk!!
Tell her i'm right, Redneck! Tell her, cowboy!!
And yh that was the sikh and pope joke, we were told it in the gurudwara, i thought it was funny, too.
Maybe TMail him if you need to get so personal with your accusations and racist attacks!! What did you say to Liberal about him getting on his high horse about the postings between you and Redneck?? I'll just carry on reading and see what I find, hey?
Serah

Australia

#149062 Jan 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Woah... I don't need permission to fart.
:)
A priest, a rabbi & a Sikh walk into a bar.
The bartender said "Is this some kind of joke?"
hahaha....
Serah

Australia

#149063 Jan 20, 2013
uIDIOTracemakeworldpeace wrote:
<quoted text>Are there any passage(s) in The Christian Bible you read is dirty...?
Are Christian's more moral and Superior in Intelligence over other races, or even Atheists, or over other religions?
Why did you pick Christian over other religions or beliefs...?
It is within me I guess ~ however, Christianity is not a Religion, more like a Faith and a following of Christ :)

I am twice Christened however, have no Church or Religion I call my own...!
ASIA AFRO LATIN MID EAST

United States

#149064 Jan 20, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It was pretty much the only one available to her growing up.
The brainwashing is complete in her.
Sereh intellectually challenged and afraid to debate, and hypocrite Xtain, afraid she be fathomed, afraid of light, afraid she can't haddle the truth...

BWHHAHAHHHAHHAAAA She Afraid of me and my inquistion, Salem with hunt... BWHAHHAHAAAAAAAa Christian religion talks about how start Fire, drink Blood to scarifice, wash it with blood for sin... sound violent in nature . WBHAHAHHHAHAa Sereh afraid to even notice my previous post addressed to her, and she runs away... Yep mentally challenged! BQHHAHAHHAAAa

Location hidden

#149065 Jan 20, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry you don't like all the meanings of Faith, but you have confident belief in something, whereas mine lies with my Creator, yours lies with science and their ideas and things. I have Faith in our Historians and Scribes, although I do believe that man(kind) has influenced some of the writings, so I read them with love in my heart, and care in my eyes. I care for the Father who gave us life to the point where I would like to make Him happy; and am happy with that path. You have Faith there is no need for Faith, thinking that your belief is only called a belief, but as you can see confident belief does equal something other than 2 words:)

Faith is ......

***faith - definition of faith by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and ...
www.thefreedictionary.com/faith
Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing. 2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence****
I totally agree.
Here a post from another thread that I so do enjoy.

"Atheist sure have a hard time keeping your beliefs straight.
Yet alone just the definition of the word atheist.

Merriam - Webster

athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity

"who believes". That's a positive assertion. Seeing as there is no proof of your belief It's FAITH.

Faith:
"Synonyms: devotion, piety, religion"

Ah yes Atheism is a Religion.

Have a nice day and don't forget to go to church.

Posted else where by derek4

February 4, 2011

Church, without God

“Stan Bradley likes Bible stories, admires Martin Luther and uses expressions such as 'heavens, no.'

The Lithopolis man is president of a local congregation and rarely misses a Sunday service. Occasionally, he goes to his wife's church instead.

For these and other reasons, Bradley considers himself religious.”

He is also an atheist.

continued:

“Like Bradley, some atheists participate in organized religion for its social and psychological benefits.”

continued:

“Churches are great places to find friends, support and youth education, so nonbelievers and believers alike join congregations to fill those needs, he said.

He has spoken to elderly and sick people who can no longer go to church and they say they most miss the feeling of community.

Recent research from Harvard University and the University of Wisconsin backs him up. It found that religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people, not because of belief but because of the friendships found at church.”

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/faith...

“religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people”[I have said this all along, and my posts are still on the board to confirm it. Now you hear it straight from the atheist, lol.]"
Serah

Australia

#149066 Jan 20, 2013
Clementia wrote:
@Serah....look, sweetheart, when me and Redneck are 'fighting', don't get involved! U know, he gave me the shirt off his back when i spilt choco(?) on mine and I've given him permission to fart! U see, we have this....'connection' that u wouldn't understand. I like pullin' his leg, so get off your high horse and sit down and have some butter milk!!
Tell her i'm right, Redneck! Tell her, cowboy!!
And yh that was the sikh and pope joke, we were told it in the gurudwara, i thought it was funny, too.
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
It's on the prove a God thread, one was about black people and the other was when he called Muslims towel-heads and i said to him i'm a sikh, we wear turbans more than Muslims do, but he told me not to get offended.
I'll try and find the page number, liberty guy!:-)

Nope ~ nothing to your mate Liberty Guy... no high horse, no reference to farting, no nothing between you and Redneck at all in fact, and you were going to get Liberty Guy the link so he could dob on Redneck. Cheers, I am getting to know you :)
ASIA AFRO LATIN MID EAST

United States

#149067 Jan 20, 2013
post above is from Uidiotracemakeworldpeace, he told me to write it, as he has problem with his Computer. :)

Location hidden

#149068 Jan 20, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry you are so rude you don't even comprehend your own rudeness, and sorry you do not see the cruelty in your words. Oh, I can go back and find those postings, have no fear, too bad you don't know enough regret to understand you should feel remorse for writing them!!
Serah liberty is a nut case pay him no heed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 19 min Thinking 3
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 37 min Thinking 2,293
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 40 min TheHeadlines 145
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 9 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 10 hr Thinking 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) Sat polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Sat Yiago 148
More from around the web