Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#149002 Jan 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Can I get you a tissue?
LMAO this is where you atheists freak out.
"Oh no, there's a cross. I'm offended! WAAAH! I think I'll sue!"
Who's freaking out?

Not me.

But I know it's wrong.

How about if Satanists want their motto on some money.

And the pledge of allegiance includes "Under God and Satan"?

THEN you'd see some serious freaking out.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#149001 Jan 20, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The Hebrew did revere the bones of the dead, but the real problem
with the exodus tail is in the actual chronology of events along the way. The actual history of conquest of cities and the alleged timeline by Moses written in the bible do not match.
In fact what is written to have occurred in 40 years, was actually a period of over 1000 years. Now if we were to even believe people ever lived 800 years , it would stretch that figure by 1/5th.
Are you to have us believe Moses lived for over 1000 years?
I think not, I think your historical event is not only exaggerated,
but in fact mostly a complete fabrication. It did however serve it's purpose for many years, which was the motivation of the Hebrew people. In fact it was so good at motivating people, the religion was copied and sprang into two more complete belief systems.
Knowing what we know now, we do know how these tales were used to create an alignment to a common cause. the very same tactic your Christianity used to forge an empire. Yes knowing is not without question , believing is to follow without question.
You choose to believe, we choose to question belief.
We find truth from myth by questioning , you find myth the truth without question.
Thank you for your comment. I will look into the timeline issue.

Southern Illinois

#149003 Jan 20, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if they carried their bones with them where did they put the 10-15,000,000 pounds of bones when they got to the "promised land"?
First let me say for a man of science that prides himself in facts. I would like to know where you retrieved those numbers. I donít recall the remains of the dead in the Exodus were ever weighed and tabulated.

Israel is one of the oldest occupied areaís of the world. It has been documented that this region has historical burial grounds that go back thousands of years. Which one contain the remains of those that died in the Exodus is not known.

Some graves have multiple family members buried in the same place. They are in caves and also dug into the side of mountains and hills.

Southern Illinois

#149004 Jan 20, 2013
{Lance Edward Armstrong (born 18 September 1971) is an American professional road racing cyclist, who won the Tour de France a record-breaking seven consecutive years, from 1999 to 2005, the only person to win seven times, having broken the previous record of five wins. Source Wiki}

Long before there was doping allegations against Lance. I did not care for him because he was too self centered and vain in my view. Thatís not the kind of athlete I admire even though he had great success.

Now the confession is out. Iím ashamed for my country and what this thief had done to honest competitors. He cheated and flat out denied it multiple times. I wondered what was his religious faith and where he took his moral code. So I went on line and found Lance had no religious affiliation.

Lance has been sort of a undeclared atheist. The God he served was himself. The only reason this man came out and confessed on national TV was because of the mountains of evidence that was against him. If he had been associated with a religious faith. Just think of all the nice things my good atheist friends would have to say.

Like so many public people Lanceís reputation is wrecked. How can this man make amends for what he has done? The only hope for Lance is to go to the opposite end of the spectrum from where he has been living. Kind of like Saul of Tarsus in the bible. He was a murder, a gang leader, a terrorist of the worst sort. He had his fans that supported him too. Until he had a experience on the road to Damascus. Saul who became Paul made a drastic shift from one side to the other.

I think Lance could have a great future ahead of him but itís not in sports but in Jesus Christ.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#149005 Jan 20, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's freaking out?
Not me.
But I know it's wrong.
How about if Satanists want their motto on some money.
And the pledge of allegiance includes "Under God and Satan"?
THEN you'd see some serious freaking out.
Well, there's a problem with that.

America is one nation under God, not Satan....

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#149006 Jan 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was born "god" wasn't in the pledge nor a part of our motto.

We were "one nation, indivisible" and "e pluribus unum" (out of many we become one). Then the religious right screwed us up.

These changes were spearheaded by the lobbying efforts of the Knights of Columbus (the largest Catholic fraternity in the world). It only took the Catholics about 170 years, but they finally got a religious wedge into our government. This turmoil about theocratic vs. secular government is just what the Catholic leadership wants.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#149007 Jan 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

How do you know god isn't Satan? Have you got a picture of them together? They might be the same thing.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#149008 Jan 20, 2013
@Serah....look, sweetheart, when me and Redneck are 'fighting', don't get involved! U know, he gave me the shirt off his back when i spilt choco(?) on mine and I've given him permission to fart! U see, we have this....'connection' that u wouldn't understand. I like pullin' his leg, so get off your high horse and sit down and have some butter milk!!

Tell her i'm right, Redneck! Tell her, cowboy!!

And yh that was the sikh and pope joke, we were told it in the gurudwara, i thought it was funny, too.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#149009 Jan 20, 2013
No religious affiliation more likely to cause suicide. In 2004, the American Journal of Psychiatry reported the following:

"Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived FEWER REASONS FOR LIVING, particularly FEWER MORAL OBJECTIONS TO SUICIDE. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder."

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx...

Location hidden

#149012 Jan 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
Naw, they never say nothing to liberty about being rude. In fact, Clementia is even PM-ing him.....
Aww, don't be like that, darlin', i can PM u too, wink wink! it'll be our secret, nobody will ever know!!

What is it with liberty guy and the PM thing, i can't figure out what he's up to! I can remember when he picked on me and called me childish, but now this?

talking about PM, liberty guy, check PM, again! and STOP BEING SO DAMN RUDE OR U KNOW WHAT I'LL HAVE TO DO!!!

Location hidden

#149014 Jan 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people can dish it out, but they sure can't take it.
I know u can't, hun! I'm here, don't u worry!! OOOOOO!!!!!

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#149015 Jan 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thatís debatable.

As I and many others see your biblical mythical god as evil.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#149016 Jan 20, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know god isn't Satan? Have you got a picture of them together? They might be the same thing.
ugh....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#149017 Jan 20, 2013
Clementia wrote:
@Serah....look, sweetheart, when me and Redneck are 'fighting', don't get involved! U know, he gave me the shirt off his back when i spilt choco(?) on mine and I've given him permission to fart! U see, we have this....'connection' that u wouldn't understand. I like pullin' his leg, so get off your high horse and sit down and have some butter milk!!
Tell her i'm right, Redneck! Tell her, cowboy!!
And yh that was the sikh and pope joke, we were told it in the gurudwara, i thought it was funny, too.
Woah... I don't need permission to fart.

:)

A priest, a rabbi & a Sikh walk into a bar.

The bartender said "Is this some kind of joke?"

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#149018 Jan 20, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Aww, don't be like that, darlin', i can PM u too, wink wink! it'll be our secret, nobody will ever know!!
What is it with liberty guy and the PM thing, i can't figure out what he's up to! I can remember when he picked on me and called me childish, but now this?
talking about PM, liberty guy, check PM, again! and STOP BEING SO DAMN RUDE OR U KNOW WHAT I'LL HAVE TO DO!!!
That liberty guy will be your friend as long as you agree with him. If not, he'll repeatedly call you a retard.

It's a typical liberal American standpoint: "I'm right, you're wrong. And I'll fight until you live your life just like me."

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#149019 Jan 20, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was born "god" wasn't in the pledge nor a part of our motto.
We were "one nation, indivisible" and "e pluribus unum" (out of many we become one). Then the religious right screwed us up.
These changes were spearheaded by the lobbying efforts of the Knights of Columbus (the largest Catholic fraternity in the world). It only took the Catholics about 170 years, but they finally got a religious wedge into our government. This turmoil about theocratic vs. secular government is just what the Catholic leadership wants.
"that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vainóthat this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom"

--Abraham Lincoln, 19NOV1863

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#149020 Jan 20, 2013
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>Thatís debatable.
As I and many others see your biblical mythical god as evil.
If you consider 0.07% of the American population as "many", you've got issues.....

Location hidden

#149021 Jan 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Woah... I don't need permission to fart.
:)
A priest, a rabbi & a Sikh walk into a bar.
The bartender said "Is this some kind of joke?"
No, i said if u did, i won't get offended, i'll do that much for u!

I don't get it, why would he think it's a joke? coz normally jokes start like that, is that why? if that is the joke, then that's not very funny, u gotta do better, Redneck!!

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#149022 Jan 20, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
No what is rude is for you to try to tell me that not having a belief, is a belief. We get tired f theists telling us how we interpret our non-belief, if I'm rude sorry.
But I will never try to tell you what you believe, but would ask you instead.
Sorry you don't like all the meanings of Faith, but you have confident belief in something, whereas mine lies with my Creator, yours lies with science and their ideas and things. I have Faith in our Historians and Scribes, although I do believe that man(kind) has influenced some of the writings, so I read them with love in my heart, and care in my eyes. I care for the Father who gave us life to the point where I would like to make Him happy; and am happy with that path. You have Faith there is no need for Faith, thinking that your belief is only called a belief, but as you can see confident belief does equal something other than 2 words:)

Faith is ......

***faith - definition of faith by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and ...
www.thefreedictionary.com/faith
Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing. 2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence****

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#149023 Jan 20, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Nothing I said there was rude you schizo. Take your medicine already and get over the fact that we don't believe in your retarded god.
Hitler called the Jews Christ killers and he was going I make them pay. It's just a fact. Sorry if the voices in your head disagree.
<quoted text>
Sorry you are so rude you don't even comprehend your own rudeness, and sorry you do not see the cruelty in your words. Oh, I can go back and find those postings, have no fear, too bad you don't know enough regret to understand you should feel remorse for writing them!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 2 hr Richardfs 181
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr woodtick57 2,632
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 hr Morse 5,963
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 13 hr Morse 23,279
faith & pride 14 hr geezerjock 1
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 17 hr _Bad Company 214
Pastor who gave up God for a year after getting... 17 hr thetruth 3
More from around the web