Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#148753 Jan 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're getting closer and closer to the white sheet.
What's a white sheet?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#148754 Jan 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
You're getting closer and closer to the white sheet.
He/she probably won't stick around long.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#148755 Jan 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Not in a polytheistic system.
It's teamwork, dude, teamwork.
You have to have faith in your teammates.
I just thought of a cool movie idea...

Greek gods VS Norse gods...

Pat Pending

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#148756 Jan 17, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>You guys gotta stop saying, we don't BELIEVE in God or gods/ atheism is a disBELIEF in.....

We gotta think of a definition for atheism that doesn't have the words, believe, disbelief, non-belief etc....in it!!
Well again here is Marriam-Webster definition of atheist.

athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity

This states a positive assertion of Believe. Not to be confused with Agnostic.

ag·nos·tic\ag-ˈnäs-tik,əg -\
noun
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2 : a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>

Since: Dec 11

Perth, Western Australia

#148757 Jan 17, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Would a god be an atheist?
Think about it.
I doubt it Exodus claims Yahweh took on entire team of Egyptian gods. No doubt there is some type of Professional God Association (or PGA if you will) where competing gods go head to head over the fate of the world and the winner receives some type of reward at the end of the season".

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#148759 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
To come to the conclusion that subjective morality exists, you need to have an absolute morality upon which to first define subjective morality.
No. This is another argument from ignorance. All you need is two people to have contradictory moral beliefs to demonstrate the subjective nature of morality between those two individuals. On the larger scale of the human race, the various contradictory moral systems demonstrate the subjective nature of human morality.
mtimber wrote:
So the argument for subjective morality is self refuting, as it requires absolute morality to exist to even make the argument.
You cannot define anything if you do not have an absolute standard with which to define it with...
Morality is subjective, because it is subject to the person making moral distinctions. It is subject to the person's upbringing and other factors.

You define things by relating to other things.

Location hidden

#148758 Jan 17, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>An atheist is a person who is not a theist.
Ok enough teasing you with definitions of your faith.

There also exists a atheism, sometimes called "strong" or "explicit" atheism. With this type, the atheist explicitly denies the existence of any gods — making a strong claim which will deserve support at some point. Some atheists do this and others may do this with regards to certain specific gods but not with others. Thus, a person may lack belief in one god, but deny the existence of another god.

Atheists and freethinkers have defined atheism relatively consistently over the past couple of centuries. Although a few have focused solely on the sense of "strong" atheism, many more have differentiated between "weak" and "strong" atheism.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#148760 Jan 17, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
What's a white sheet?
The Catcher white sheet is a virtual wall of separation between the (former) poster and the outside world. Once under the white sheet, the (former) poster no longer exists. He/she vanishes instantly.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#148761 Jan 17, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I humble myself before you.
Please, have mercy.
Well, Clementia is the goddess of forgiveness and mercy, u know.

OK, get in the shower of mercy!! if u want mercy u gotta get in and ya gotta be in your birthday suit, those are the rules!!

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#148762 Jan 17, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I just thought of a cool movie idea...
Greek gods VS Norse gods...
Pat Pending
Pat is close to earning the white sheet too.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#148763 Jan 17, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
You decide :
We believe the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the world much as it exists today, but for reasons unknown made it appear that the universe is billions of years old (instead of thousands) and that life evolved into its current state (rather than created in its current form). Every time a researcher carries out an experiment that appears to confirm one of these scientific theories supporting an old earth and evolution we can be sure that the FSM is there, modifying the data with his Noodly Appendage. We dont know why He does this but we believe He does, that is our Faith.
By contrast, in laboratories, man has great opportunites to obtain preprogrammed answers, based on what he thinks he already knows. His faculties keenly focused on physical reality can hardly produce anything else. An atheist would never call an atom, alive, let alone conscious. Yet a collection of certain atoms assembled into a human form calls itself alive.

In many ways, atheists are befuddled creatures... forever prowling around the confines of their limited perceptions looking for an identity with meaning that science cannot provide. They've drawn a magic circle around their beliefs so that everything not in agreement seems dark and alien and unselflike. Instead they look backward at their rudimentary physical origins taking it for granted that evolution is over and they have arrived, kings of the mountain wondering, "Is this all there is?" We are here now for no particular reason, and when we're dead we're dead? They are afraid of those brilliant psychic fires that light up their inner landscape leading to the answers they seek. Afraid that path might lead to God.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#148764 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Your flying spaghetti monster cannot account for absolute moral standards...
Which exist, obviously, as everyone uses them.
So he fails very quickly.
So yes, a very poor analogy.
Dawkins is not a good person to rely on for a sound philosophical argument...
I don't rely on Dawkins. The FSM is the alpha and Omega for infinity.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#148765 Jan 17, 2013
Clementia wrote:
Well, Clementia is the goddess of forgiveness and mercy, u know.
OK, get in the shower of mercy!! if u want mercy u gotta get in and ya gotta be in your birthday suit, those are the rules!!
You know what they say...

Rules are made to be followed diligently.

:)

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#148766 Jan 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Pat is close to earning the white sheet too.
I think she'd look right at home under one of those.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#148767 Jan 17, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
" It is as disbelief in any gods ."
Wrong!
Merriam-Webster.
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
Not a disbelieve but a believe.
This is why every survey list Atheist ( a person that BELIEVES there is no God or gods) and non-believers separate.
noun
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2 : a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>
It's so sad you can't get the difference in these two words.
Ok Prove there's a God to not believe in and I will say your right. Until then I really don't believe. I can believe you're an idiot though , because only idiots try to define and change what other people say they feel or think.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#148768 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Lack of belief in God is a moral position
No, it is a logical position.
mtimber wrote:
as that belief dictates human moral
No, society dictates human morality.
mtimber wrote:
reactions to the idea of God...
Morality is not based on your god. You may claim to base your morality on your god, but you are wrong.
mtimber wrote:
Why would atheistic secular humanism claim an absolute moral standard as you stated about genocide?
Anyone stating what is moral and what is not, is basing that on current standards mixed with the moral standards of where and when they grew up.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#148769 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Your flying spaghetti monster cannot account for absolute moral standards...
Which exist, obviously, as everyone uses them.
So he fails very quickly.
So yes, a very poor analogy.
Dawkins is not a good person to rely on for a sound philosophical argument...
Absolute moral standards ... you mean like killing witches?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#148771 Jan 17, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I merely quoted a dictionary. I defined nothing nor did I change what other people said.
Why do you have these issues?
Do you hate your mother?
You change what I said , but more importantly the definition you cite was written by a believer such as yourself.
Hence you agree with it, you will find only those who "believe"
will think not having a belief is a belief.
Therefore you are redefining what atheists themselves say about it when you cite that definition.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#148772 Jan 17, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Well again here is Marriam-Webster definition of atheist.
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
This states a positive assertion of Believe. Not to be confused with Agnostic.
noun
Let me try to clear this up for you. Your entire position hinges on the word, "belief". But what you refuse to take into account in the difference between christian belief and logical belief.

christian belief is blind faith. It is not based on facts.

Logical belief is based on fact, repeatable experiment, and so on.

A christian (or any other deity believer) is required to believe despite any evidence or the lack there of.

For a logical person (logical about gods) requires some proof and there just is none for any god. We know the history of your beliefs, we know the history of the Earth, we know the science behind evolution, and so on. Whilst we don't know every detail, by far, we have evidence,(evidence that anyone can verify), which leads us to our current beliefs.

I know this will not help you, but...

Location hidden

#148773 Jan 17, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>You change what I said , but more importantly the definition you cite was written by a believer such as yourself.
Hence you agree with it, you will find only those who "believe"
will think not having a belief is a belief.
Therefore you are redefining what atheists themselves say about it when you cite that definition.
Oh don't be silly. The definition I quoted came out of the Merriam-Webster App on my iPad. Down load it and look it up for yourself.

Redefining atheist? Don't make me laugh. I am doing nothing but quoting already publish articles or definitions for existing dictionary's. did I down load the free Merriam-Webster app because I knew its definitions of your cult would piss you off? Nope just downloaded it because I needed a dictionary.

You are a very paranoid little person.
Are you having a tough childhood?
Why do you hate your mother?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 3 hr Richardfs 181
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr woodtick57 2,632
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 6 hr Morse 5,963
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 14 hr Morse 23,279
faith & pride 15 hr geezerjock 1
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 17 hr _Bad Company 214
Pastor who gave up God for a year after getting... 18 hr thetruth 3
More from around the web